Talk

Advanced search

To get an overwhelming sense of danger from a stranger?

(677 Posts)
ThisIsCheese Tue 07-May-19 09:57:40

The weirdest thing just happened. I’m in the supermarket and as I’m stood selected and bagging vegetables I suddenly feel very uncomfortable.
There is a man about 50 something stood with his elderly mother a few feet away to the side of me and I felt very sick and uncomfortable when I looked at him.
Absolutely no reason for it but it was overwhelming, like a sense of fear he was not a good man.

Completely clueless why I felt that way I moved along quickly but I crossed paths with him again in another aisle and knew he was there before I saw him because the sick / anxious feeling returned.

Anyone else ever had this? I don’t have anxiety or anything but this feeling was so odd, like I could sense he wasn’t a good person.

Never met him before, he could be perfectly lovely but my physical reaction to him was so strong confused

HPLikecraft Mon 13-May-19 19:55:20

ghoulish expression and she could see 2 small protuberances on his head, like horns

So, this is scary because... he looked like "The Devil"?
But the devil is a Christian/Abrahamic creation, whose appearance is not even described in the Bible. As an angel, he'd have had no substance, but when he did appear, as the angel of light, he'd have been beautiful and beguiling.
The, hooves, pointy tail etc. are all inventions of early artists and the distinctive look was formed in the middle ages.

Poor Walter is NOT the devil!

WoodenToyKitchen Mon 13-May-19 22:49:45

There was a man this afternoon who terrified me. Was walking with husband and pushing the pram. I just got a feeling down to my soul that he hated women.

Obviously I have no proof, but he made me shiver

dustarr73 Tue 14-May-19 08:33:34

Yesterday i was in a lift.And this fella got on,he really set me on edge.He was staring at my tattoos,and looked like he was going to say something.And he stood at an angle but was staring at me.Luckily i got off before him.

And i got a feeling i was going to be attacked,i never had that feeling before.It was awful.

MulticolourMophead Tue 14-May-19 08:44:28

I think when it comes to "perceiving evil" what's more likely to be happening is that a person's emotions will affect their body language, so we're back to the micro expressions thing. And if it's someone with that level of hate and ill will, itll be affecting their body language somehow.

pinkyredrose Tue 14-May-19 10:31:20

durstarr he was probably just looking at your tattoos.

ImTheDamnFoolThatShotHim Tue 14-May-19 10:46:17

I think at some basic level we can sense things from another living being.
As dogs are able to pick up chemical reactions in humans that warn of an imminent epileptic fit/migraine/insulin drop etc I think (hope) that other beings can detect love, my reasoning is that the feeling of love is also chemical?
Maybe some people emanate these chemicals when feeling intense anger, or hate, or when they imagine committing violence towards us, even though not one single word is said?
I don't know lol maybe I'm just getting a bit carried away 😁

Anonymous001 Tue 14-May-19 13:43:02

It's strange that people mention about DW. I've read some of the threads "nicest and nastiest celebs you've met", and his name has cropped up a few times for being creepy.. I personally don't find him creepy or feel wary when I see him on tele, he might come across a bit eccentric but I guess everyone has their own views of slebs.....

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Tue 14-May-19 14:30:28

I remember in 6th form, we had a new young bus driver. We were an 11-18 school, so young girls/boys as well as teens. The girls would get on and the way he looked them up and down, and when it was my turn to get it I would go cold and all goosebumps- it was the oddest feeling. Then one day I mentioned it to a friend and she said ‘OMG I feel the same, but I feel sick’.

Next day we went to see our deputy head and explained our weird feelings, and thought he would laugh us off. He wrote down ‘I’ve had 2 compliments from parents, no actually, 22 complaints from parents...’. He said basically you are 6th formers and part of your role is to ensure the safety and behaviour of the lower school on the school journey, if you both feel this way, I’m trusting your instincts’. He phoned the bus company that day and we never had the driver again. About 5 years after I left school, I read the bus driver was in court for sexually assaulting a teen a girl.

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Tue 14-May-19 18:42:29

Another strange one I can’t explain.

An ex colleague contacted me a few years ago, as she realised one of her patients was living somewhere I worked at the time. She asked me my thoughts on him.

So about 18 years ago I worked directly with service users in a low secure mental health unit. This one guy had committed some bad crimes 40 odd years ago. But he scared me! I remember one day walking down the stairs and he was sat in the dining room, as I looked in he turned his head slowly towards me then motioned with his hand ‘slit throat’. I shock it off after spending a day a little nervous.

Later that week he walked passed me in a corridor, suddenly turned around and pinned me against the walls, arms and all, I was stuck. But it was his eyes, they had turned pure black, and it was the second time I’d seen it happen. Luckily another service user walked passed and went straight to the nurses station and told them what was happening.

Two male Asian mental health nurses came running out (they are amazing guys whom I’m still in touch with). They basically said ‘let her go, or you go down to the floor’, he thought about it for about 8 seconds, let me go and walked off. I was shaking at this point, first time anything like this had happened to me.

Both nurses came either side of me, put their arm around me, and took me to the nurses station. They told someone to make me a strong cup of tea with several sugars.

So we start taking about the incident as you do when something happens, and I mention his eyes going black. They both looked at each other and I said ‘please don’t take the piss out of me’ and the one said ‘we aren’t we know what you mean’. The other then said ‘his eyes go so black he looks like ‘x’- I can’t remember the word he used and I said ‘I don’t know what that means’. The other turned around and said ‘he looks like what you say is the devil’,

Turns out they’d noticed it but when they’d asked the British nurses no one had seen it. Then I said ‘I know two support staff who have seen it too, but everyone else thinks we are seeing things!’

So the ex colleague who’d contacted me then said ‘that’s what I was going to ask you, because when his eye turn black it’s like pure evil and I’m scared working with him’.

I then emailed the one nurse, and brought this up, he replied in the hundreds of service users and patients he’s worked with since, he had never seen eyes turn black like that since.

So I’m 🤷🏻‍♀️As to what happen there!

Will add that I’m a child from an abusive childhood, who is also hyper vigilant (psychiatrist told me that) brilliant for working in mental health as I could defuse situations before they escalated and anyone realised something was wrong. I’ve also vacated pubs because I can feel in the air that it will all kick off, and after leaving it does. It’s handy being hyper vigilant but it can be tiring too!!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 14-May-19 20:47:08

Surely the eyes turning black would just be very, very dilated pupils?

dustarr73 Tue 14-May-19 21:32:32

@pinkyredrose He made me really nervous.Like it was only literally a couple of seconds in that lift but i cant explain it.Im used to people looking at my tattoos and asking questions.But he really set me on edge.

MaybeDoctor Tue 14-May-19 21:45:27

Mine was not sinister, but just an example of picking up vibes. We had some people around to do painting work.

We knew the painters fairly well and one was a pleasant man who had done work for us before in another flat. But there was a funny vibe about him that week. He had young children and I picked up a sense that he was discontent or frustrated or something.

One of my parents had just died and I was sent home from work early one Friday afternoon because it had all got too much for me. sad We'd had to postpone the painting work by a week due to the funeral etc. The painters were working and the one we knew asked me to give him a lift, to another house he was working in about a mile away. I did so, just for something to do really as I was so miserable and hanging around the house at a loose end, but when we pulled up outside he invited me in 'to see the wooden floors'.

I said no, I shouldn't go into someone else's house. He invited me in, really persistently. There was something odd about how persistent he was. I just said no again and in the end he gave up and got out of the car.

Putting two and two together he was looking for extra-marital sex and thought that, in the middle of bereavement, I was probably a very soft target and wouldn't put up much resistence. sad

EBearhug Tue 14-May-19 22:58:15

Surely the eyes turning black would just be very, very dilated pupils?

I would assume so, but it's still not a normal reaction. Have you ever seen it happen with someone? Pretty sure I haven't, so I think I would feel pretty freaked out if I did see it.

MellowMelly Tue 14-May-19 23:13:52

I stepped off a train late one night with my ex and immediately I was drawn to a man sitting on a bench seemingly waiting for a train. But then he looked at me and I knew he was bad.
We left the train station and I said to my ex that this man had given me a bad feeling. Ex told me not to be silly (famous last words).
As we walked I just knew he was behind us so I looked round and he was following us. I stopped walking and froze still and he pulled a knife out.
If it hadn’t of been for another couple exiting the train station and disturbing him (he ran off) I’m pretty sure we were about to be mugged!

Graphista Wed 15-May-19 02:56:01

"Surely the eyes turning black would just be very, very dilated pupils?" Yes but it's WHY they turn black is the issue. Pupils generally dilate in response to arousal if there's no change in lighting - this guy gets off on inciting fear!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 15-May-19 07:44:35

'"Surely the eyes turning black would just be very, very dilated pupils?" Yes but it's WHY they turn black is the issue. Pupils generally dilate in response to arousal if there's no change in lighting - this guy gets off on inciting fear!'

Exactly. I am not surprised the poster was freaked out by it and it sounds horrible. Her story rang completely true to me. But she described it as a strange one she couldn't explain, and I think it is easily and horribly explicable.

DarlingCoffee Wed 15-May-19 08:46:10

I have experience what some people have described as a face pulling incident on a train a long time ago. I can assure you it was not a hallucination as it happened really quickly, but then the person passed and everything went back to normal. But for a moment I honestly felt like time froze.

Hiddenaspie1973 Wed 15-May-19 08:54:38

My Dd has always said DW seems creepy. Since she was about 9.

Claphands Wed 15-May-19 09:04:27

I’m an ex police officer and most of this is you picking up on micro facial expressions and body language or ‘out of place’ things or behaviour, not to be dismissed as it’s your protection, we are only animals after all yet ignore those gut feelings and signs of danger at our peril!
I used to work on a sexual offences unit and when asked what advice I could give to keep oneself safe (by victims) I used to say ‘trust your instincts, if you don’t like the look of someone or what they’re doing don’t feel the need to polite, walk away’

I don’t get the scared feeling but obviously I do pick up on things from people and situations and act accordingly, and I do often know when I’m being lied to or I can spot easily when someone’s up to something. The thing is, if you trust that little voice within you, you won’t always know if you’re right as the bad thing won’t happen to you if you walk away or avoid.

Also, I don’t see the world in black and white, good or evil- people are grey definitely! True evil is rare I think.

BasilBooBoo Wed 15-May-19 09:08:31

*HiddenAspie73
Your daughter finds her Mother creepy? Why is that?

RiversDisguise Wed 15-May-19 09:10:00

Who is DW? Dennis Waterman?

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 15-May-19 09:12:52

I never ever have this. I have to have something more than standing by someone to trigger a response.

OneStepSideways Wed 15-May-19 09:23:31

I worked in mental health for years, I've occasionally seen a person eyes turn 'completely black' in the way you describe, when they're experiencing extreme emotion. I put it down to sudden dilation of pupils, which can happen when you get a massive adrenaline rush, eg just before attacking. During PMVA training we were taught to look out for a sudden dilation of pupils, along with other tiny signs like widening of the eyes, rocking forward on the toes, as signs someone is escalating. I believe certain meds can also cause dilation of the pupils, so if they were already dilated it wouldn't take much to dilate them to the point the iris was almost obscured.

OneStepSideways Wed 15-May-19 09:32:23

I've remembered another time I felt very uneasy, without due cause. I was working for an agency and took a late shift at a psychiatric unit I'd never worked at before. It was about 15mins drive from the town, I was only 20, and at 9pm I was about to book my taxi home. The nurse in charge, a man in his 50s, offered me a lift. I felt really uncomfortable accepting but thought it would be rude not to. Also he asked me in front of everyone so I felt embarrassed to say no.

On the way home, dark country lanes, he suddenly pulled over in a lay by and stared at me. I was terrified. He stared at me for a few minutes, then told me I shouldn't accept lifts from strangers! Then he drove on. I asked him to drop me at my boyfriend's house, he made some sarky comments about that.
Nothing else happened but it really shook me up.

To this day I'm not sure if he did it to scare me in a sadistic way, or to teach me a lesson about safety, or if he was about to try something and changed his mind. I do wonder if he would have tried something if he'd dropped me at my flat, as I'd originally asked him to and had told him I lived alone.

FairyDogMother11 Wed 15-May-19 09:34:14

I always get feelings about people, good or bad. I'll announce that something is not right about someone/that they're a genuine person having met them only once for a few minuted. My friends always laugh at me but I've never been wrong!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »