Talk

Advanced search

Child using potty in public

(244 Posts)
Moominfan Mon 06-May-19 19:15:59

I'm pretty easy going, bordering on complacent to mumsnet standards. Went to a fair today. Kid and dad in queue. Dad whips out Potty and the kid does their business there and then. Is this what I have to look forward to? Mines not potty trained yet. Would most people atleast go hide behind a bush or something? There were loads of people around. Place was heaving.

DearTeddyRobinson Mon 06-May-19 19:52:10

That's grim. I've potty trained 2 and the most we've had to do is the occasional 'nature wee'. If the child can't wait 2 mins to find a loo or discreet place to use the potty then they are not ready! We never used a potty as mine didn't like it so we just planned all outings in the early days around the location of various toilets!

awalkintheparka Mon 06-May-19 19:52:16

Hilarious. But no, not what I want to see. My child took months to train, he just couldn't grasp it. I can't remember how we handled it but I don't think we ever did that. But we were known to whip it out, outside in a secluded area.
Didn't use a potty with my second, 3 days and he had grasped it on the loo. No disgusting potty cleaning. Much nicer. Kids are all different though. Do what works for you

beargrass Mon 06-May-19 19:53:22

Grim. You have to plan round not going out / far at all when potty training. It's not forever.

TheBigFatMermaid Mon 06-May-19 19:53:47

I have never ever used a potty in public in this way and think it's pretty grim. I used to keep a pull up in my handbag for truly desperate situations (e.g., child announcing ten minutes into a 45 minute bus ride that they needed a wee)

Congratulations on going against all toileting advice ever given! Well done on feeling so smug for doing that too!

DoomOnTheBroom Mon 06-May-19 19:54:34

I've potty trained three DC of my own and about to try and potty train a fourth in the next few weeks.

I really don't see how it's any different from a child standing next to you, pooing or weeing in a nappy. Which imo is pretty grim when you think about it, as it's not discarded immediately like the contents of a potty are

When it's done in a nappy, it's contained within the nappy where no one has to look at it unless they're the one changing it.

TeddybearBaby Mon 06-May-19 19:56:37

This made me ‘lol’. Never heard of it. I got through potty training with neither of mine having to take a dump in the middle of a sea of spectators, jeez talk about giving your child zero dignity 🙈. OMG I’ve just pictured me then having to wander around trying to get through people while I found somewhere to dispose of the piss and shit. Just hold it out at arms length and shout excuse me I guess. OMG what a mental image 😱

CasperGutman Mon 06-May-19 19:56:53

A week ago I'd have said the same as the OP, but now potty training child #2 I'd be grateful if she'd use a potty rather than just pull her pants down and go on the ground every time I turn round!!

DoomOnTheBroom Mon 06-May-19 19:57:04

Congratulations on going against all toileting advice ever given! Well done on feeling so smug for doing that too!

Where did I say I felt smug?

And as for potty training advice, I followed my child's lead and did what worked for us. All three were reliably dry/clean within a week of starting. The emergency pull-up was exactly that, for emergencies.

MacrosomicMumma Mon 06-May-19 20:01:39

I have never ever had to use a potty in public like that. Maybe I got lucky but I preferred to constantly ask her/ take her/ make sure she didn't need one before we did things that took a while. Had we been in the queue, I would have definitely got out and found a toilet (and I'd have had to as I never carried a potty with me!).

Guess in emergencies, sure, but as a regular thing, nah.

missyB1 Mon 06-May-19 20:05:39

Oh get over it OP! It was a toddler on the potty so bloody what?! Would you rather they had to shit themselves?

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Mon 06-May-19 20:10:17

I've just toilet trained my DC and would never subject other people to that! I hate it when people do that with their kids or change them on seats in cafes/restaurants instead of taking them to the baby change! Just because you don't mind being subjected to your child's waste doesn't mean everyone around you has to be exposed to it

we don't use potty's - we stayed in/near the house for 3 days to toilet train and that was it - I did leave it until they were nearly 3 through - I personally don't agree with Potty's as they just teach a child that that they can shit/wee where they like instead of making it to the nearest loo!

zigzagbetty Mon 06-May-19 20:14:04

I hadn't thought about this until my sister started training my niece. She has a portable potty with a disposable liner to collect.

EastEndQueen Mon 06-May-19 20:14:04

Honestly?

My DS is doing well on toilet training and has minimal accidents BUT being 2 and a half doesn’t give much notice of the need to wee or poo. Obviously I try to mitigate this by taking him to the loo before we leave the house and as soon as we reach available loos. But sometimes it’s not possible - today we were having coffee in a cafe in the financial city district of London (relevant as because it’s a bank holiday 99% of things were closed) before doing to meet family and the only cafe open in which we could sit inside and feed my tiny baby had no loo. Ten mins in DS announced ‘need poo’. No public loos or cafe loos anywhere around - so took temporary potty down quietest alley I could find nearby for him to poo. It’s one that has disposable bags you can fit in it so threw it in a bin, sterilised both our hands with alcohol gel and returned to cafe.

Would love anyone who thinks that is ‘grim’ to advise on what they would have done.

PepsiLola Mon 06-May-19 20:16:19

When my DD was potty training, like that first few days... if she said wee wee I would whip out a potty regardless of where I was.

I wouldn't do it in a queue or anything (although that's probably just cause I was lucky and she never needed to go in a queue), but I have done it in the street (shielding her for her privacy).

It's hard when you are first potty training, you have literally 10seconds from them saying wee wee, to them actually doing it regardless of if they are on a loo/potty

Passthecherrycoke Mon 06-May-19 20:18:08

Yes you do that in the early days. I would always try to get to a loo but if it wasn’t possible then pretty much anywhere, although we’d try to stand to the side/ away rather than take centre stage lol

Passthecherrycoke Mon 06-May-19 20:19:53

“I have never ever used a potty in public in this way and think it's pretty grim. I used to keep a pull up in my handbag for truly desperate situations (e.g., child announcing ten minutes into a 45 minute bus ride that they needed a wee)”

Once my D.C. had decided they wanted knickers instead of nappies there is absolutely no way they’d have got back into a pull up. How backwards 🤣

LifeBeginsNow Mon 06-May-19 20:21:24

My LO is potty training now and its pretty daunting for us both. I'm having to carry a seat booster thing for proper toilets and a portable potty with a lid for when we aren't near a toilet (plus a bag full of trousers & pants).

He just doesn't have the control to hold it for long. When he tells me he needs to go, its RIGHT NOW.

Hes still learning and I don't want to make him more uncomfortable as hes done well quickly but we were in a DIY store on the weekend with no toilet and we had to get the potty out. The alternative would be wetting himself (and the floor). Its not ideal but I don't think this stage lasts too long.

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Mon 06-May-19 20:22:09

Never even heard of people taking a potty out with them for use in publicconfused

Maybe I just got lucky with my kids that they learned very fast, but thats why they had emergency pull ups on in the early days. I wont be taking a potty out and about with this baby either- have never, ever seen it where I live and could only imagine the looks of shock I'd get if I did!!

DoomOnTheBroom Mon 06-May-19 20:23:03

Once my D.C. had decided they wanted knickers instead of nappies there is absolutely no way they’d have got back into a pull up. How backwards

Practical rather than backwards, easy to remove the pull up afterwards and bag/bin it once able. Mine weren't fussed about it when it was an urgent situation and it only happened once it twice per DC in the early days.

DobbyTheHouseElk Mon 06-May-19 20:25:44

I used a potette fold up in your bag, bio degradable plastic bag liner with absorbent pad. Really useful for emergency wee’s. Not in a q, we went out of sight, but we love rurally so maybe it’s different. No one saw us use it. Somethings we used it in the back of the car. Saves accidents. In this part of the world there aren’t many public loos left at all. council cutbacks.

Cookit Mon 06-May-19 20:25:59

I never bought a travel potty but did bag up with house one and take with me. It literally lasted about 2 weeks before toddler was able to hold it long enough to run to a toilet or bush, but at the start of potty training it was necessary unless I wanted to use nappies when out which I didn’t, we went cold turkey.

Gingerkittykat Mon 06-May-19 20:33:27

I can't believe all these disgusting parents who use potties in public, a DIY store?? (my DD did once try to use a toilet in the DIY store though!)

Yes, I have potty trained, dealt with accidents, had to do the occasional pee at the side of the park and mad dashes to the toilet but never would have considered using a potty in public.

Pull ups for early days until your child has enough control to make it to a toilet.

My DC are now teenagers, is this really a fad now?

MaverickSnoopy Mon 06-May-19 20:34:19

We didn't take a potty with DD1 and she ended up having a lot of accidents. With DD2 we got a travel potty which has a lid that closes everything in. We probably used it maybe 4 times in the first 2 weeks - but always in the most discreet place possible (if that was possible!). Since that point we've just taken it everywhere and told her that she needed to try and wait until we were at a toilet. She's always managed it but she clicked very quickly with potty training and it entirely depends on the child.

Honestly when they need to go they need to go.

sighrollseyes Mon 06-May-19 20:36:10

My DS uses the potty in public wherever he needed to - middle of John Lewis once I recall. When they got to go they got to go! A toilet 30 seconds away is too far for a child who is only just learning to hold it. He probably wouldn't have made it to the toilet if I'd made him wait. That would have been wet clothes, him being upset and a step backwards. As it was because we were so open and chilled about potty training he cracked it very quickly.

Willowkoko Mon 06-May-19 20:36:46

I skipped the potty stage, I watched my niece struggle transitioning from potty to toilet so decided to skip it with my own DD. Worked for us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »