Talk

Advanced search

Is it U to wear this as a wedding guest?

(342 Posts)
GetSetNo Thu 02-May-19 21:27:35

I've asked a couple of people now, it's about an inch of the floor at the back if I'm wearing flats which I intend to later on or with heels, 4/5 inches.

Everyone I've asked (6 people) says it's fine and I should definitely wear it but if I were the bride, I feel as though I'd think whoever wore it was trying to steal the limelight (although, you can never truly upstage a bride).

Is everyone else BU here?

dreichuplands Sat 04-May-19 19:21:02

OP this is is the sun online according to my Apple news

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 04-May-19 22:48:50

It’s not white

So yes fine for a wedding smile

And it’s not all black either smile
Some don’t like all black as say funeral Colours

Milkn0sugar Sat 04-May-19 23:21:33

Looks a bit attention-seeking to me, which jars a bit. I probably wouldn't risk it. You'll get looks all day on the account that the design is a bit unusual but that will just make you feel paranoid - and probably uncomfortable - given your initial reservations about wearing it at all etc. You won't upstage the bride, however I guess you're more worried that it will look like you tried to upstage her. I get that. I'd wear it to a party instead.

Balajake Sun 05-May-19 00:21:14

Yes this made it into the newspapers but it wasn’t the article that attracted me to read it, it was the stunningly sour faced bitchy comments from some of our resident fashion experts.
You might not like the dress but you won’t be wearing it.

Some of you have obviously been sniffing too much air freshener and think you’re entitled to be unnecessarily mean to the OP

MollyYouInDangerGirl Sun 05-May-19 00:23:28

I wouldn't personally wear it but I wouldn't think twice if someone wore it to my wedding

Balajake Sun 05-May-19 00:24:08

Take no bleeding notice of them. For what it’s worth I think it’s lovely

squeekums Sun 05-May-19 06:33:12

Dress isn't my style but I don't see the issue wearing it to a wedding.
But I don't get the whole wedding wear rules. People who invite me know I will dress in a way I was comfy

MyOtherProfile Sun 05-May-19 07:31:44

IMO, AIBU is not an excuse for plain nastiness.

Rookie error @GetSetNo - sadly in my experience AIBU can be positively vicious.

Great dress and fine for a wedding IMHO.

Di11y Sun 05-May-19 08:44:25

Pretty much always safe if it's floral and particularly if it's a darker background colour, irrespective of the hemline.

Flobochin Sun 05-May-19 20:29:05

I think it's inappropriate for a wedding.

It's not even attractive, it's an attention seeking dress - purely my opinion.

Cryalot2 Sun 05-May-19 20:59:00

Congratulations for making it to the daily mail.
I am not sure why you could not be satisfied with what your friends told you.
Wear what you like, aslong as you feel good .
I can't understand why you would remotely think you could upstage the bride though.

Seahorseshoe Sun 05-May-19 21:02:17

I think it's lovely.

ballsdeep Sun 05-May-19 21:31:05

Well you'll definitely upstage the bride now the dress and thread has been on mail online

OneLuckyLady Sun 05-May-19 21:40:18

Ignore the haters. They're being incredibly rude. I think that dress is stunning and I'm sure you'll look fantastic in it.

In response to your original question, you won't upstage the bride but you will get compliments about the fab dress you're wearing. That's the perfect type of dress to wear to a wedding. Wear it and enjoy yourself.

JIgjagjig Sun 05-May-19 22:20:20

I’d be much more worried about being charged with ‘Crimes Against Humanity’. It could be a federal offence to wear something like that. All kidding aside, you can’t upstage the bride by wearing 1980’s wallpaper in the form of a dress. Wear away until your heart’s content.

Erythronium Sun 05-May-19 22:20:53

The thing is the women most likely to be wearing tailored, stiff, floor length satin are the bride and her bridesmaids. This could easily be a bridesmaid's dress

Chi Chi actually have quite a few dresses in exactly the same style listed in their bridesmaids section:

www.chichiclothing.com/bridesmaid-dresses/?p=1

My advice would be to get something that makes you look more like a guest than a member of the wedding party OP.

PinaColadaPlease Sun 05-May-19 22:56:00

Mail and the Mirror!

JIgjagjig Mon 06-May-19 00:47:53

Here’s a tip. If you think there’s any chance of upstaging the bride - DON’T WEAR IT FFS. Are you really this shallow? Complaining about comments after what you posted? Use your common sense FFS. Get a f**king grip sweetheart and try to think a little bit more instead of being so focused on yourself. AGAIN - If you think there’s any chance of upstaging the bride - DON’T F**KING WEAR IT!

Beethovens5th Mon 06-May-19 04:33:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Beethovens5th Mon 06-May-19 04:37:02

Upstage is a pretty big word.

I think humble pie should fill your fridge.

Beethovens5th Mon 06-May-19 04:39:35

I seriously can't believe you put this post out there. Have you never worn a dress before?

Beethovens5th Mon 06-May-19 04:40:13

Ugh.

Beethovens5th Mon 06-May-19 04:43:39

I think the key phrase here is "upstage"

Right, everybody? If you had been "innocent " in your query wondering whether your dress was wedding attendance worthy, none of us would have continued to banter. But the bottom line is this. Even the elite have a cap on their spending. Now are the impressive years of my like

MyOtherProfile Mon 06-May-19 05:08:24

Mumsnet at its worst. Up the sisterhood.

findingmyfeet12 Mon 06-May-19 08:19:02

Op ignore Beethovens5th

azulmariposa Mon 06-May-19 08:28:43

Daily Mail and the metro must be desperate for news! 😂

It would've been fine, but now everyone knows what you're planning on wearing you'll have to change your mind!

LibraryMum16 Mon 06-May-19 09:52:46

Hey, firstly, let's just ignore all the negative posts on here. The dress is wedding perfect. Gorgeous colours, a bit of drama to it with the hemline. Add some simple accessories. You'll look amazing. And the bride will think that too. You're not going to take anything away from her, she's the bride after all! And bear in mind that someone else will inevitably rock up in a sequin number (isn't there always one?) Everyone goes an extra step to dress up for a wedding, so don't worry. Wear it, rock it and enjoy a day celebrating your friend's special day! smile

Twowilldo50 Mon 06-May-19 10:08:05

Tbh it looks fairly ordinary to me.

Goodomens23 Mon 06-May-19 10:37:03

It's a lovely dress,and would look perfect for a wedding. If you're unsure, you could always ask the bride. But generally, so long as it's not white, you're fine. Have a great time!

Beethovens5th Mon 06-May-19 19:04:37

You can ignore me. I would highly advise it if it makes you feel better. The truth is that the wedding is not about you. Its the brides very special, hopefully once in a lifetime moment with precious husband. That being said, I am not without compassion for you; you seem to be naive and super excited to attend a fanciful affair. Ok! Then go for it! We live in an era insistant on mocking tradition anyway. Go all out! Enjoy the attention you'll get and toss aside any murmuring of guilt. Own it.

But don't be presumptuous. Perhaps you just don't know what that word means. And if you don't then just have a good time.

Too obvi the dress is sweet enough. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to a wedding dress, but what does it matter?

Beethovens5th Mon 06-May-19 19:06:41

My "attempt" here was to point out the obvious. I failed.

Andra09 Mon 06-May-19 21:21:32

I wore a very similar dress to my aunts wedding. I love that brand! I got so many compliments on the day and no I didn't feel like I was stealing a bit of the limelight. Being curvy myself it was very difficult to find something I felt comfortable in. So if you like it and it makes you feel good f* what anyone else has to say x

GetSetNo Mon 06-May-19 21:56:09

Upstage, limelight are big words and probably not the correct terms I was going for. I had no hopes of going for that anyway, I wanted to just blend in and wear a nice dress at the same time. I didn't want it to be one of those things people remembered and talked about.

I did wear the dress, I had several compliments on the dress, including from the bride. Perhaps the guests aren't on MN.

MyOtherProfile Mon 06-May-19 22:01:48

Wow that same person is really persistent in their meanness.

Beethovens5th Tue 07-May-19 05:13:33

Beethovens5th Tue 07-May-19 05:15:34

Oh. Yeah. I'm so mean!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Lmao

Honeybee85 Tue 07-May-19 05:25:07

I don’t mean to be rude but it’s a VERY particular dress. If one of my friends wore it I might be tempted to say: my great-grandmother called, she wants her flower curtains back.

I think your feeling of the upstaging possibilty might have to do with it being quite an attention grabbing dress.

Beethovens5th Tue 07-May-19 05:50:48

CSIblonde Tue 07-May-19 06:37:58

It's not going to upstage any bride, but it's an odd dress. It's someone's 'twist' (putting a longer back on the skirt) on a not very flattering 50's style. Large floral designs just make me think of frumpy 80's Laura Ashley dresses.

FraggleRocking Tue 07-May-19 08:13:40

Glad you enjoyed the wedding, sure you looked great. And also pleased you’ve acknowledged your choice of language in your original post was probably what caused the controversy on this thread, not the dress.

Lweji Tue 07-May-19 08:46:19

You asked on Friday about the dress to wear this weekend?
You were never not going to wear it if people thought it was inappropriate, were you?
I have to agree with Beethoven. Odd choice of words throughout. hmm

Flobochin Tue 07-May-19 09:35:43

I do wonder why people post on here 🤨

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »