Talk

Advanced search

Is it U to wear this as a wedding guest?

(342 Posts)
GetSetNo Thu 02-May-19 21:27:35

I've asked a couple of people now, it's about an inch of the floor at the back if I'm wearing flats which I intend to later on or with heels, 4/5 inches.

Everyone I've asked (6 people) says it's fine and I should definitely wear it but if I were the bride, I feel as though I'd think whoever wore it was trying to steal the limelight (although, you can never truly upstage a bride).

Is everyone else BU here?

kateandme Thu 02-May-19 22:30:40

its lovely.and no it wont upstage.

Lweji Thu 02-May-19 22:30:43

It doesn't look like a train. It looks like a mullet.

I don't think anyone will pay much attention to it except to ask if those skirts are back.

BrokenWing Thu 02-May-19 22:32:10

Love the dress colour, pattern and body shape but the long back just looks wrong and from the back there is just too much material with the pleats at the bum are bulky and very unflattering.

AvengersAssemble Thu 02-May-19 22:33:17

It's lovely I would wear it!

GreenDragon75 Thu 02-May-19 22:33:56

Wow- some really nasty comments. I really like it. It’s a lovely wedding guest style and not so unusual to make you stand out. I would go with heels though. Just one thought- will it be comfy for the sit down meal with the extra material at the back ? If yes go for it, Have a great day.

JeezOhGeeWhizz Thu 02-May-19 22:34:02

its a mullet dress. I think its funny. you must get your hair cut into a mullet to match it.

Poloshot Thu 02-May-19 22:35:06

You could wear it to a wedding but it's horrendous.

SweetMarmalade Thu 02-May-19 22:35:51

Some awful comments on here, there really is no need.

I would like the dress if it was all one length, knee length, rather than long at the back. I like the colour and pattern.

Llongyfarchiadau Thu 02-May-19 22:37:39

It's a lovely dress. Perfect for a wedding.

changedforlife Thu 02-May-19 22:39:13

It's beautiful - if you love it go for it.

VladmirsPoutine Thu 02-May-19 22:39:59

Where else would you see yourself wearing the dress. If you reckon you can roll it out for other times/occasions then why not. It's not my type of look but we're all different.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Thu 02-May-19 22:40:12

I’m not a particular fan of the high-low hem, but I like the pattern and the bodice.

It’s absoutely fine for a wedding, you cannot upstage the bride wearing that unless she turns up in jeans.

@GreenDragon75 it’s no more extra fabric than a long dress.

Purplecatshopaholic Thu 02-May-19 22:40:43

Its lovely. Defo wear it

CatelynStark Thu 02-May-19 22:51:10

There are some proper cunty comments on this thread!
OP, I bet you’ll rock that dress! If I were the bride, I’d be thrilled that someone had made an effort to celebrate my big day.

LifeImplosionImminent Thu 02-May-19 22:51:31

If you're worried about the back but like the style this one has a less pronounced "mullet" www.chichiclothing.com/chi-chi-curve-celina-dress/ both dresses are suitable for a wedding IMO

FrancisCrawford Thu 02-May-19 22:55:18

The material is so stiff it’s wildly unflattering. The model looks more upholstered than clothed.

Nobody wearing that would be stealing any limelight from the bride, so don’t worry on that account.

NCforthis2019 Thu 02-May-19 22:58:45

confused no.

Dutchesss Thu 02-May-19 22:59:33

It's a very fabric heavy dress, I agree with others it would be unflattering for most figures.
On the uphand you wont be upstaging the bride by wearing it.

Dippypippy1980 Thu 02-May-19 23:24:25

OP loves the dress, and it makes her feel confident. She should wear it. It is not inappropriate or offensive, and it doesn’t look like either a bridesmaid or wedding dress.

It wouldn’t be many if our styles - but the world would be a boring place if we all had 5e same sense of style.

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Thu 02-May-19 23:29:15

Horrible dress. Don’t wear it the back looks horrid. You’ll be the talk for the wrong reasons.

Ivgotasecretcanyoukeepit Thu 02-May-19 23:34:32

The second one linked is even worse. The style of those dresses are not flattering to a more ‘curvy’ figure. The fabric also looks poor quality.

SinisterBumFacedCat Thu 02-May-19 23:35:29

Mullet dress grin

Celticrose Thu 02-May-19 23:40:28

The dress is fine for a wedding. In fact that type of outfit would be quite prevalent here at a Irish wedding along with hat.

Forkin Thu 02-May-19 23:45:55

Well there’s why you keep these posts to style and beauty! They are nice in there!

Personally I wouldn’t really clock this dress,it’s generic sort of wedding stuff and if it suits you- great!

llangennith Thu 02-May-19 23:57:12

Mullet dress

Yes😂

Lalliella Fri 03-May-19 00:11:38

I think it looks good. A bit different. It wouldn’t upstage the bride, and if you like it you should wear it. Ignore the nasty comments on here, you always get them.

goldenchicken Fri 03-May-19 00:14:29

Agree with a pp that the post with the second pic/lot of pics, (posted at 22.32) makes the dress look awful, and really does the girl wearing it NO favours at all. Very unflattering.

Erythronium Fri 03-May-19 00:23:25

You're not sure so find a nicer dress, there's plenty out there.

I looked at it online and it does look like a bridesmaid's dress from behind.

LilBoaty Fri 03-May-19 00:33:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PatricksRum Fri 03-May-19 00:42:15

I love the dress!
It's not a train as such and I think you'll be fine smile
Some people have to project their insecurities onto others! Reported all the unnecessarily vile comments!

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 03-May-19 00:42:19

I can't think why you would think you could upstage the bride wearing that. It's not my style but it's perfectly suitable for most weddings. You'll look lovely.

LaMarschallin Fri 03-May-19 00:46:13

Oh God, I'm such a newbie I thought you meant U in the Nancy Mitford sense.
I'm sure you know your friend the bride to he better than any of us, and don't want to upstage her, so if you think its ok, wear it.
You're not being U in either sense, imo.

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 03-May-19 00:46:48

I dont think you should wear it if you are worried about it, purely because you will feel very self conscious and wont be able to relax.

And while it doesnt look bridesmaidy from the front, I would be worried that from the back it would look like a ballgown style BMs dress.

Chocmallows Fri 03-May-19 00:49:27

It looks a bit ball gowny/frumpy. Better with fewer folds maybe.

EmeraldShamrock Fri 03-May-19 01:01:28

So very mean responses. OP you will not feel comfortable wearing it after this thread. It is suitable for a wedding, though it looks very heavy, especially for a summer wedding.
LifeImplosionImminent pg5 linked a beautiful version of the dress without the trail. I'd go for that one, if you wear cream strappy wedge sandles you could wear them all night.

HomeEdRocks18 Fri 03-May-19 01:10:08

I think it's a beautiful dress and is great for a wedding.

SpeckofStardust Fri 03-May-19 01:10:56

It would actually be a lovely dress without that horrible hemline, I like the bodice and the cut of the skirt until you get to that up and down thing. It’s a trend I’ve never ‘got’ in the same way I’ve never ‘got’ cold shoulder tops.

FraggleRocking Fri 03-May-19 01:24:16

I think OP is getting a fair bit of criticism because a bride is usually considered to stand out and look stunning on her wedding day and by wondering about stealing limelight in anything other than a white dress you automatically imply you will also look stunning and outshine the bride for other reasons. From my point of view it’s coming across as arrogance. Especially if 6 people in RL tell you it’s fine and to wear it.
That, however, doesn’t excuse nasty comments.
As for the dress - in my view it’s only OK.

user1471582494 Fri 03-May-19 01:28:50

I love it! Please wear it smile

Cruelstepmother Fri 03-May-19 01:31:40

I think it does look like you wanted to be a bridesmaid and were disappointed not to be asked. I definitely wouldn't wear it to a wedding for that reason. The other dress someone suggested looks like a great compromise.

1forAll74 Fri 03-May-19 01:32:47

I think this dress would be ok for a wedding,,but I don't like the style at all.I think the high neckline is awful.and two much pattern on the material. But my comments are meaningless, ha ha,,

dontgobaconmyheart Fri 03-May-19 01:57:19

Since you didnt actually ask opinions on whether the dress was to other peoples taste OP I wont join the ranks of the snide and chastise you for daring to think you could ever upstage shock a bride, especially in something as ugly as that wink

Nothing wrong with trying to be considerate in what you're wearing at all so I don't get why some posters are giving you a hard time but I think it so depends on the wedding and its level of formality. I went to a wedding last year where that absolutely would have looked a bit attention seeky. I had on a primark wrap dress and felt overdressed because I was the only person in heels and I made loads of effort with my hair etc. They had gone for a country picnic vibe in their back garden (gorgeous rustic garden) and there were people in flip flops, denim skirts etc - I felt a right knob, and nearly did my ankle in on the lawn to boot.

I think if you're not sure or would worry about it then just pick something else, it's the time of year where there are a ton of options available so no great shakes so long as budget allows.

BlackCatSleeping Fri 03-May-19 02:03:34

I like the dress, but I don't like the hemline at all.

I don't think you need to worry about upstaging the bride though.

Is anyone else thinking about the wedding dress in the November Rain video?

CheshireChat Fri 03-May-19 02:07:38

I think it's fine for a wedding, just agree you'd need a bit of heel (platforms if they're comfier).

I'm always jealous of people who can wear stiffer fabrics as I look like I've had a fight with a curtain if I try. I mean, I've presumably won the aforementioned fight as I'm wearing the curtain, but it's not a great consolation.

dreichuplands Fri 03-May-19 02:53:47

I the dress is a little more race day rather than wedding but you aren't going to clash with the bridal party.
I would wear heels with it.

wombat1a Fri 03-May-19 03:41:12

Looks horrendous, I don't think you'll be happy in that when the photo's come out.

floribunda18 Fri 03-May-19 03:58:31

I think it's nice, but personally I prefer the ones that are the same length all the way round, like this one. Such a pronounced bias cut is just a bit cheesy.

expat101 Fri 03-May-19 04:24:29

If it's on special and the wedding is during the day, and you really like it, why not buy it and have the hem adjusted so it's the same all the way around? I like the print, just not the back.

IncrediblySadToo Fri 03-May-19 04:43:50

You could wear it to a wedding.

If someone was wearing that, upstaging the bride would NOT be what I was thinking. However, I’m sure you could find something nicer, it wouldn’t be too difficult.

Expressedways Fri 03-May-19 04:49:36

There’s definitely nothing unreasonable about the dress. Personally I don’t think it’s very nice but it wouldn’t be out of place at an American or Irish wedding that are generally more formal affairs. For a standard English wedding, at least based on the ones I’ve been to recently, it would be rather over the top though. Not to the point of upstaging the bride or anything that dramatic but you might look a bit silly if every other woman is in a day dress and you’ve gone for the black tie look. Personally I’d keep looking, I think you can do better.

Trebla Fri 03-May-19 04:56:06

I think its certainly not going to upstage the bride. If you like it wear it.

maddiemookins16mum Fri 03-May-19 06:39:01

It’s awful.

Saltystraw Fri 03-May-19 06:42:00

Why would that upstage the bride? There are plenty of dresses that have that sort of hem out now.. no one will even notice

Stravapalava Fri 03-May-19 06:45:31

Definitely not a bride upstaging dress. Wear it if you like it. I love the colour.

HarrysOwl Fri 03-May-19 06:50:27

Wow the bullying catty posters are out in full force. What pointless nasty comments, glad you're taking no notice OP.

I really get what you mean about the back being so styled it's akin to a bride's train. I think although the colour and fabric are very wedding guest suitable, I wouldn't wear it because of the back either. I wouldn't want any risk of being that person.

Have you got any other options?

thesunwillout Fri 03-May-19 07:01:18

'its a mullet dress'😄

cocomelon23 Fri 03-May-19 07:07:09

I love it and I'm sure you'll look beautiful in it op.

RuthW Fri 03-May-19 07:09:59

It will look lovely once you have your buttonhole and hat or fascinator on.

stressedoutpa Fri 03-May-19 07:11:10

Not quite sure why you think you will upstage the bride in that. confused

stucknoue Fri 03-May-19 07:13:16

Depends on the wedding, bit ott for registry office and drinks at the pub, but fine for a posh hotel/country house wedding!

kaytee87 Fri 03-May-19 07:16:08

Its appropriate for a wedding.

Lweji Fri 03-May-19 07:18:46

The thing is that nobody will tell you at the wedding, but MN may well be representation of what people are thinking.
You'll never please everyone anyway, so wear what you like.

But what definitely got most pps was the idea that you could upstage the bride in that sort of dress. Long skirt, short skirt or, let's face it, mullet skirt.
Unless you think people would think you had tried to upstage the bride.
Do you have the attitude and personality that would make people think it?

Morgan12 Fri 03-May-19 07:25:47

The second dress posted is much nicer, I think you should order and try that OP. The first one is a bit bridesmaid looking from the back. And definitaly won't suit flats. 2nd one flats would be fine.

Sweetpea55 Fri 03-May-19 07:31:58

I agree with many other posters, there's no way you'd upstage the bride in that.
I can't abide these dresses with uneven gems.. They always look unfinished.
What sort of fabric is it? " If it creases easily you will a mess after sitting down once.
Wear the other one

dogsdinnerlady Fri 03-May-19 07:35:51

Only going to work if you've got better pins than the model.

Blueuggboots Fri 03-May-19 07:36:01

It doesn't look like a train.
Personally, I detest these type of dresses and I think people will look back and wonder what they were thinking...same with cold shoulder tops!!

ooft Fri 03-May-19 08:05:24

It's perfect for a wedding

foreverhanging Fri 03-May-19 08:09:56

I think it's lovely

plunkplunkfizz Fri 03-May-19 08:20:22

I’ve been to a couple of weddings this year and it was a popular style. Nothing to worry about.

FWIW I think it’s a style that looks much better on someone curvy.

Jeezoh Fri 03-May-19 08:26:04

I don’t think you’d upstage the bride but I do think a few people would think you were trying to, as the back looks a bit like it’s trying to be a train!

thecatsthecats Fri 03-May-19 08:33:12

I would say it's suitable to wear to a wedding. The back looks nothing like a bridal train. It's just a mullet hem.

I would also say it's butt-ugly, and the only upstaging would be that more people might be thinking about that than what the bride was wearing.

Downunderduchess Fri 03-May-19 11:55:50

I like it! I think it's definitely wedding guest attire. Better to be overdressed (although I don't think this is) than underdressed and regret not wearing what is a gorgeous dress. Keep everything else simple, shoes, bag etc.

PillowTalker Fri 03-May-19 11:57:27

Apart from the fact that, the sut of the skirt is awful it's fine if you like the style

LilBoaty Fri 03-May-19 13:33:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SinisterBumFacedCat Fri 03-May-19 16:58:53

People have criticised the dress NOT the OP.

CherryPavlova Fri 03-May-19 17:02:59

I think it would entirely depend on the wedding. Morning suits - no. Lounge suits - if you happen to like it.

findingmyfeet12 Fri 03-May-19 17:12:46

Wow what a load of bitchy people!

"why on earth do you think you'd upstage the bride in that?"

Do people who say things like this think others are stupid and can't detect their rudeness?

Retired65 Fri 03-May-19 17:37:35

I don't like the bottom of the dress. The dress would look better of it was the same length all the way round.

booknow Fri 03-May-19 17:39:55

I'd have an irrestible urge to cut the back bit off even out that hemlinegrin

MaybeitsMaybelline Fri 03-May-19 17:43:41

If you’re tall it’s fine, if you are a shortie it will look like a train and I wouldn’t wear it.

Vivianebrezilletbrooks Fri 03-May-19 17:45:09

That wouldn't upstage a bride and I actually like it. I think it's the train thing that's making you think that way. I think with flats it would look wrong though.
If you're not comfortable wearing it though, then choose something else.
I've seen far worse at weddings though.

theDudesmummy Fri 03-May-19 17:47:05

It wouldn't upstage the bride and its not inappropriate but both the hemline and the neckline are very unflattering

DontCallMeShitley Fri 03-May-19 17:55:13

The pattern is nice but I see what you mean about the length at the back, it looks as if someone made a mistake cutting it out and made it too short at the front though. A bit longer at the front would have been less attention seeking and would deflect from the weird back which is probably going to get caught in things, trodden on and generally dirty and torn.

If it is the style or the hem you want rather than the fit of the rest of the dress, I suppose you wouldn't be wanting a similar dress with a regular kind of hem which I think would be much more attractive.

snowdrop6 Fri 03-May-19 17:55:45

The tail bit at the back needs chopping of ..it’s all uneven.

VerbenaGirl Fri 03-May-19 17:59:59

Looks pretty standard wedding guest attire to me, not unreasonable at all and I don’t think there’s any risk of upstaging.

Playmytune Fri 03-May-19 18:08:04

Sorry but I really don’t like this dress. It looks cheap and tacky.
However, if you do decide to wear it, don’t bother worrying that you might upstage the bride or bridesmaids, you won’t!

Nearly47 Fri 03-May-19 18:12:20

I think it's a bit much. It has a bit of a dramatic shape so it would attract a lot of attention and if your in the photographs it might upstage the bride a bit depending on her dress style. I was once removed from a wedding photo by the photographer because my dress ( slimline with tiny fabric flowers stuck on front was distracting from the bride)blush . Go for something simpler and flattering. Use this for another occasion. I like it by the way.

gingersausage Fri 03-May-19 18:14:06

FFS. I’m sure everyone can figure out who the bride is. If not, they are probably at the wrong wedding 🙄

Bezalelle Fri 03-May-19 18:15:28

Ohgod it's appalling! Don't do it!

Bluetrews25 Fri 03-May-19 18:15:32

Might make the photos look very dated.
One length all around is more classic.
Like the floral.

Baconbutties Fri 03-May-19 18:16:32

It’s nice I like it . I don’t think it would upstage the bride at all it’s looks like normal weddingy type dress to me not bridal or bridesmaidy at all as they don’t wear blue florals and the back length is a bit of a feature that obviously isn’t to everyone’s taste but I like it! .

Rubberyduck Fri 03-May-19 18:17:41

Sorry but that is not a nice dress....

EleanorOalike Fri 03-May-19 18:21:44

It’s not my taste but it’s not out of place when I think of the guests I’ve seen at weddings and christenings recently. It’s definitely not so stunning that it would upstage a wedding dress. If I was the bride I wouldn’t feel at all threatened or upstaged by it.

I have to say though, if that’s how you feel why would you even consider it?

TheGrey1houndSpeaks Fri 03-May-19 18:27:03

It’s terrible! But as to upstaging the bride... confused. No. It really wouldn’t.

RestingBitchFaced Fri 03-May-19 18:29:30

I'm surprised so many people don't like it! I like it, and it's definitely suitable for a wedding. And it's not an actual train so don't worry about that either. Go for it OP

speakout Fri 03-May-19 18:31:54

Oh dear. Sorry OP, it's a gruesome dress.

recrudescence Fri 03-May-19 18:32:00

I really like the fabric but don’t ‘get’ the cut ... but then I’m a bit of an old fart. If you love it, wear it.

EdWinchester Fri 03-May-19 18:35:23

The model has got very unfortunate legs. They don’t do the style of dress any favours. It looks like a very rigid sort of dress, so you may risk looking like a ship in full sail if you’re on the large side.

But upstaging? No, not at all.

bytheseaby123 Fri 03-May-19 18:47:07

I can't believe how rude people are when you have clearly said you love the dress that should be enough!!!

It's obviously the train that is causing the OP to question it, not because she thinks it's better than a wedding dress!

I think if you love the dress wear it. It's not long enough at the back for it to be an issue IMO!

Have a lovely time!

thiscannotbenormal Fri 03-May-19 18:50:09

That's a butt ugly dress IMO

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »