Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can a toddler drown in the toilet and other irrational (?) worries

(16 Posts)
mezzer Tue 17-Jul-07 04:56:14

Am I being ridiculous for worrying that dd (18mo) might drown in the toilet if I leave her unattended in the loo? Could she? Am I being irrational or is it really possible?

GryffindorGHOSTY Tue 17-Jul-07 05:14:17

From personal experience I think it would be unwise to leave a toddler unattended in a bathroom ... I doubt she could drown (unless she has a very small head) but she could lick the bowl or something, which wouldn't be too nice.... 18mth old toddlers have an unwavering fascination for toilets don't they?
When DD was that age she decorated our toilet by painting it with my expensive Lancome Mascara (- inside and outside the bowl. She also painted the cat with it ...

hotcrumpets Tue 17-Jul-07 07:24:36

i used to worry about that too, I don't think it is actually possible, but it has made me laugh remembering how much I used to think about this!

I wouldn't leave dd in the bathroom anymore either, she painted the sink with a whole tube of toothpaste yesterday

Surfermum Tue 17-Jul-07 07:30:25

You can drown in water deep enough to cover your face. There was that poor window cleaner a few months ago who collapsed and drowned in his bucket .

Even if she doesn't get her head down the loo, she might climb into the bath, put the plug in and turn the taps on.

liath Tue 17-Jul-07 07:50:30

Sadly there have been rare cases of toddlers drowning in toilets so it's worth being cautious.

chopster Tue 17-Jul-07 07:55:11

if I left mine unnatended in there, I'd be mroe worried about them floodign the room and drowning in that! Either that or climb up the basin and out the window. Our bathroom has a lock, since dt2 is fascinated with taps and loos. He kept blocking it by throwing cars down it. He also likes to handwash the laundry for me, pour out my bubble bath ready to use, throw the toothbrushes in the bin, or down the plug hole.

BandofMuggles Tue 17-Jul-07 07:57:36

I suppose if they stuck there head in and couldn't get back out. I would think if their face was actually in the water then their feet wouldn't be on the floor, IYSWIM, so they could get stuck in it.

I worry more that they'll slip or fall and crack their heads on the sink/toilet porcelain.
Irrational fears are what motherhood is isn't it??

mezzer Tue 17-Jul-07 13:47:30

Ok, I feel better that I'm not the only one who has thought of this. I agree that the loo is prob more hazardous due to licking the toilet bowl and other less than desirable activities and don't think I'm going to let her camp out in there anytime soon but sometimes she escapes and ends up in there before I realize it so I was wondering...

Could make for a "funny things my dc did in the loo" thread though.

Walnutshell Tue 17-Jul-07 13:50:55

Oh god, another worry for the long list.

meandmy Tue 17-Jul-07 13:51:39

my 13mo dd is fasinated by the toilet too think its becuase her dad spends ages in there she like dropping stuff in there ie nappies whole toilet roll toys/blocks got gloves in cupboard for fetching all those things out again am looking for lock thing at moment worried visitors may not get into toilet though unless they too have one!

dueat44 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:43:36

When I started cleaning DS's teeth, he was enthralled by the whole process and was always wanting to do it. And noticed the toilet brush. Which looked to him like a great, big .... tooth brush. You get the drift.

blahblahblahniks Thu 19-Jul-07 20:45:48

Found nine month old DD in bathroom covered a la Andrex puppy in loo rolls today. She managed to open a 12 pack and was playing gleefully. I only went to get her a new pair of trousers from upstairs!

hoolagirl Thu 19-Jul-07 20:47:46

I caught my DS with his hand down the toilet and then putting it in his mouth the other day, AFTER he done a pee

blahblahblahniks Thu 19-Jul-07 20:52:32

Urine is sterile and the flush tends to clean away most of the bacteria.....but yeeeucuucchhh!

hoolagirl Thu 19-Jul-07 20:56:39

I had a hard time not laughing when trying to explain he was NOT to do that in my sternest tone

Rubybees Thu 19-Jul-07 21:14:19

My dd is 2 1/2 but I still hover around the stairs 'are you okay', 'yes mummy'!

18 months is very small and ewww to some of the stories on here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now