Talk

Advanced search

Friend dropped my baby

(175 Posts)
katers85 Fri 26-Apr-19 04:17:16

I had a play date today at my house for my three year old, with another friend and her three year old. We were all sitting on the sofa. She asked to cuddle my 4 month old baby while I went to get cookies for the older kids.
When I walked back into the room, she lost her grip on my baby and baby fell from her arm onto the sofa. Luckily baby was uninjured and swiftly picked back up. Friend said she had wriggled and sort of laughed it off and said sorry. She had baby in upright position, over her shoulder, I think with one hand low on body and I don’t feel she could have been supporting her particularly well, I was out of the room for maybe one minute and was stood at doorway when it happened.
I didn’t say anything at the time, as I was a bit shocked. I now feel guilty for putting my daughter in that position and wonder if I should have said more. Do I just accept it was an accident or should I say more ? I just keep thinking how much worse it could have been and can’t help but feel responsible.

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 26-Apr-19 04:20:46

Wow she really shouldn't have laughed it off. If I had dropped someone's baby I would be mortified and apologising profusely. Perhaps she just felt so awkward that she was laughing as a nervous tick sort of reaction?

Don't blame yourself, you couldn't have predicted this would happen.

I think you have a right be be annoyed at your friend's reaction and to not let her hold the baby again.

PurpleDaisies Fri 26-Apr-19 04:22:32

Mountain molehill.

Hadn’t pretty much every parent dropped, bumped or injured their child accidentally at some point?

bloodyskybroadband Fri 26-Apr-19 04:24:54

There's nothing you can do now is there? It's not like she chucked her across the room on purpose. Just add it to the list of babies close shaves.

mouldyhousemouldylife Fri 26-Apr-19 04:24:57

She wasn't actually laughing though by the sounds of it, and she apologised. As long as she's ok I wouldn't have thought anymore of it. Many parents will have done similar I'm sure?

Pigsinduvets Fri 26-Apr-19 04:25:30

Accidents happen. You are not responsible. Your friend probably feels very bad about it. However, I wouldn’t be letting her hold my baby ever again.

Dana28 Fri 26-Apr-19 04:28:25

Meh!

UCOinanOCG Fri 26-Apr-19 04:42:13

She didn't really drop the baby did she? Baby slipped from her arms on to the settee and wasn't thrown from a height into the floor. At 4 months baby will be fairly robust. Let it go.

Expressedways Fri 26-Apr-19 04:43:36

It was an accident, your baby is unhurt and your friend apologised. What more would there possibly be to say?

Singlenotsingle Fri 26-Apr-19 04:50:51

She didn't do it on purpose. Babies can be very wriggly.

PregnantSea Fri 26-Apr-19 04:53:40

I wouldn't let her hold the baby again, but I would also just let this go. It's done now and no harm came to the baby. Baby's do get dropped sometimes, it's not the end of the world so long as they come out of it unharmed.

Boohootoyootoo Fri 26-Apr-19 05:00:18

But what more would you say if you decided to bring it up again, and what good would it do.

It was obviously an accident, be kind to your friend, don't mention it again.

I think sometimes, post partum we can be very sensitive to things, an old instinct to protect our children. Which is great, but we need to be able to realise when this is reasonable or unreasonable.

I think perhaps the still wanting to say something comes from the fact that you're probably a bit traumatised from it - someone dropping your baby brings to life just how fragile they are and all the 'what ifs' come rushing in and as a mum you need to 'do' something about it.

Iremember running out of the room once when someone said my baby was so delicious they could put her in the oven and eat her. I still remember that ugly feeling in the pit of my stomach.. oh and DH fell down the stairs holding her too - stuff happens, forget it and move on, it's preparation for the rest of their lives when you can't protect them 24/7.

No harm done, just try and forget about it.

ParmaHamAndMozzarella Fri 26-Apr-19 05:02:16

I think you are over reacting somewhat. It was an accident. Pretty sure she did a nervous laugh, not a "how hilarious" laugh.

Although I say that but I can totally see why you are pissed off. A few days after I had my first child we had a little gathering at my in laws with my parents. My mil was holding my daughter and I noticed she looked like she didn't have hold properly, the baby's head was flopping. I nudged my husband to say as I (stupidly!!) didn't want to say anything. He just said mum have you got her and my mil looked startled and didn't really reply. My parent's were leaving at that point so I went out the room to say bye. When I came back before I'd sat down my daughter had slid off her lap onto the sofa and my mil was asleep (drunk). I didn't realise how much wine she'd put away. I took my daughter off her immediately and she didn't even notice!!!

The funniest part about this is my mil is a church going saint who if anyone found out she dropped her 4 day old granddaughter DRUNK they'd refuse to believe it, like she did herself!!! I asked my husband to talk to his mum for months about it as I was so annoyed she'd taken my daughter when she must have realised she was drunk. In the end I told her and she refused to believe it happened, my husband had to say "yeah you did actually". She never got to hold our second child EVER, he's nearly 2 now, I just always made excuses "oh he's hungry" "just got him settled" etc. No chance.

So yes I understand your annoyance, but in your case your friend just misjudged it and didn't have hold properly, she knows she's done it and I'm sure she feels bad. Just don't let her have a hold again.

blackcat86 Fri 26-Apr-19 05:05:01

Oh OP I would be utterly horrified having to watch that. Do you feel like she actually took any accountability for what happened or apologised? I dont subscribe to the 'babies get dropped all the time BS' although in other generation it almost seems a point of pride. I have several physical issues and drop everything but i have never dropped my baby. It doesn't sound like she was holding her properly. That friendship would be soured for me and I would certainly not be back there in a hurry.

mathanxiety Fri 26-Apr-19 05:07:09

I would let it go. Luckily the baby landed on the couch and not the floor. These things can happen.

She probably laughed out of nervousness/fright.

youknowmedontyou Fri 26-Apr-19 05:10:09

@blackcat86 it wasn't a deliberate act, accidents do happen.

Don't dwell on it OP, you're maybe going through the "what if" scenario. Alls well that ends well... move on.

blackcat86 Fri 26-Apr-19 05:16:27

I didnt insinuate it was deliberate but if you aren't holding a baby properly (which OP has already said) and then you inevitably drop the baby then there is some accountability there. It's a relief that baby wasnt hurt but for me that wouldn't detract from the incident itself.

CircleofWillis Fri 26-Apr-19 05:50:43

Hadn’t pretty much every parent dropped, bumped or injured their child accidentally at some point?

Accidentally scratched,yes, but dropped, no way. Dropping a 4 month old baby from shoulder height to a sofa doesn't sound like a 'these things happen' sort of thing.

Cherrysherbet Fri 26-Apr-19 05:59:19

Sounds to me that she laughed because she felt embarrassed/shocked. I’m sure she didn’t find it funny, unless she’s a nasty person? Accidents happen sometimes.

TheMaddHugger Fri 26-Apr-19 06:01:53

Meh. OK >>> Next.

((Little Hug)) cause I realize you are upset.🌺

malificent7 Fri 26-Apr-19 06:03:40

Baby fell.onto the sofa which is soft and therefore was fine. A bit of a shock but no harm done. Just be careful with friend holding baby again.

Isbrexitoveryet Fri 26-Apr-19 06:12:14

I’m sure your D.C. will be fine.
And fwiw, I don’t think she was laughing laughing, I think it’s the same kind of panic laugh that catches you when you don’t know what to do

zippey Fri 26-Apr-19 06:23:53

Accident. It’s fine.

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 26-Apr-19 06:30:13

Of course you don’t make an issue out of it. I dropped dd once when she was 6 weeks old. Luckily it was into her Moses basket as I was about to put her to bed. She didn’t even get upset.

Your friend was not laughing it off. Many people laugh when they are nervous. From your description it isn’t clear if your friend was sitting or standing. If she was sitting that is deffo a mountain / molehill thing. And if standing, no harm done.

And it is definitely not the same as being drunk and in charge of a newborn.

Lockheart Fri 26-Apr-19 06:34:03

So the baby fell about 12 inches from your friends arms onto the sofa? And no harm done?

I think you are overreacting on this one.

Boohootoyootoo Fri 26-Apr-19 06:36:46

@blackcat86
What kind of accountability would you like to see? An apology? Financial retribution? Tears?

What would be the benefit of this?

Like the woman isn't embarrassed enough as it is.

OP, I think you can see that the majority on here say chalk it up to life experience and move on. Certainly not worth risking a friendship over.

Dee2B Fri 26-Apr-19 06:37:05

Something similar happened to my baby, she was just under 1 year old. My MIL left her sitting on the dining table at the kitchen where we have tiling an no carpet (So if she was to fall it would have been quiet dangerous). When i rushed towards her, my MIL who was beside me quickly realized and apologised by laughing it off.

I took offence at first- of course! But I later quickly realized that she must have been so nervous/ guilty and felt awkward as a grandparent at the time it happened she probably didn't know how to express appropriately.

But I let it go knowing her intentions and as a grandparent she would never let that happen.

Anyway, that's how I took it in my case. But I try to always take my other child who is now 8 months old if I had to pop into another room, regardless of another mommy friend being there to look after her (especially when there are other distractions of other kids around too).

youknowmedontyou Fri 26-Apr-19 06:37:38

@blackcat86 but you'd lose a friendship over this? Really?

Rafabella8 Fri 26-Apr-19 06:49:25

Hi OP - unless your friend is completely unhinged, I have no doubt she'll be feeling terrible and mortified. Her laugh I'm sure was just a reaction - more from nerves than malice. Let it go. Babies are like cats - they have nine lives. There will be many close shaves but they are more robust that we perhaps realise.

CharlotteLV Fri 26-Apr-19 06:50:34

I gasped with horror when I read this, and think any reaction you have is not unreasonable. Console yourself with the thought that no harm was done, and that you don’t have to let her hold the baby again. For me, watching someone holding a baby unsafely stresses me out more than most things in this life!

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Fri 26-Apr-19 06:53:37

I had no idea that dropping babies was quite as common as the replies on this thread suggest! I'd be upset too OP, at 4 months old your friend should have been being much more careful.

Soontobe60 Fri 26-Apr-19 06:55:12

Your baby is of the age where she is starting to move much more, often suddenly. Yes, your friend should have held her with both hands but she didn't throw her to the ground. Baby slipped onto the settee, so not harmed at all.

SoyDora Fri 26-Apr-19 06:59:27

A 4 month old slipped on to a soft sofa and was unharmed? I’d let it go. I have a 4 month old and he’s a strong and slippery little thing! He often tries to launch himself around and kick off from my knee.
What good would mentioning it again do? She can’t change things, can she?

Abetes Fri 26-Apr-19 07:02:17

At that age, my dh dropped out dd onto the wooden floor. Yes I was pissed off momentarily but these happen. I wouldn’t be too upset over it.

ShitAtScarbble Fri 26-Apr-19 07:04:11

I gasped with horror when I read this

Crikey. Really? Gasped with horror? Because a baby was 'dropped' onto a soft surface with no immediate or lasting damage?
What would you do if an axe murderer barged through your back door?

SoyDora Fri 26-Apr-19 07:05:30

I don’t think I’ve ever gasped with horror, but it would definitely take far more than reading about a 4 month old falling on to a soft surface and emerging unharmed to illicit that response!

Noonooyou Fri 26-Apr-19 07:12:48

I gasped with horror really? A baby was accidently dropped a short distance on to a soft sofa, baby unharmed and the friend apologised and obviously laughed nervously. I'm positive that most decent human beings wouldn't purposely do this.

Yes the what if could be worse. But we can say that about anything.

youarenotkiddingme Fri 26-Apr-19 07:13:59

Was she standing up and dropped baby a few feet onto sofa so they free fell?

Or say if sofa and baby slid down a few Cm on to the sofa material?

I think the 2 situations are completely different and would/should illicit different reactions from your friend.

You however shouldn't be feeling guilty.

Meandmetoo Fri 26-Apr-19 07:14:59

So the baby was accidentally dropped about a foot from arms on to a soft sofa?

She apologised, didn't make a big deal out of, because it wasn't, and you're upset you put your baby in danger? By being held by a friend on a sofa? Is that right?

Bluntness100 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:16:51

Oh OP I would be utterly horrified having to watch that

Good god, how drama llama are you?

Op your baby was unhurt, the child slipped onto the couch. It was an accident, she clearly didn't do it on purpose. Let it go.

And ignore the drama llamas suggesting it's "utterly horrific" that's beyond bonkers.

Meandmetoo Fri 26-Apr-19 07:18:03

I know! Horrific.....horrified.....gasped in horror. FFS grin

SherlockSays Fri 26-Apr-19 07:19:26

You're overreacting. She's four months old, not four weeks.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Apr-19 07:21:55

So, your friend dropped the baby onto the sofa whilst she was sitting o the sofa confused I'm guessing your sofa isn't made of concrete?

blackcat86 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:27:38

For me it's more about the intention and the genuineness of the apology. Only OP knows whether she thinks her friend is genuinely sorry but it sounds like she wasnt actually that bothered so yes if a friend hadn't held my baby properly after asking for a cuddle, dropped my baby and then laughed it off, I wouldn't say they were much of a friend. I can't imagine DH being impressed either. You can absolutely think I'm unreasonable, we all have our opinions but this has clearly rattled OP enough to post about it and it's ok to listen to that gut feeling.

archivearmadillo Fri 26-Apr-19 07:29:20

There's nothing to be achieved by saying more.

It doesn't mean it's nothing though. My neighbor's 3 year old sat on my dc3 when he was a few weeks old and she didn't react at all except to smile. I didn't leave dc3 on his playnest when any children except my own were in the house after that, and kept him in a wrap carrier mostly.

Dc3 is 8 (years) now and fond of the neighbor's son, who is a a nice but still slightly dozy child and a good friend of dc2. Doesn't mean I've forgotten though grin

Just don't let her hold your baby again, it's easy to avoid the situation arising.

U2HasTheEdge Fri 26-Apr-19 07:29:22

grin grin Gasped in horror!

FFS. Baby slipped from her arms, onto the soft sofa.

AnyOldPrion Fri 26-Apr-19 07:30:22

I never dropped my own babies either, black cat, but then I had them from day 1 and by the time they were four months old, I had four whole months to adjust as their wriggliness and unpredictable movement gradually increased. Perhaps she was holding the baby over the couch as she knew it would be safe.

OP, I probably wouldn’t ever hand her my baby again, especially not when she’s standing up, but I wouldn’t fall out over it. Accidents happen.

BiscuitDrama Fri 26-Apr-19 07:34:27

If she was sitting on the sofa then I think it’s a total non event.

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Fri 26-Apr-19 07:35:44

I don't think gasps of horror are that unjustified. Small babies are easily hurt. And watching your own baby being dropped... Even if it's not far that must be awful! If it was my baby it would have given me nightmares. I agree with some PPs, don't offer any more cuddles again soon. To be fair your friend is probably quite shaken and isn't likely to be asking for cuddles again any time soon. Hopefully her laughter was just a nervous reaction.

Lovemusic33 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:36:03

These things happen, baby was fine so I don’t see the issue. I’m sure she didn’t do it on purpose?

LL83 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:39:10

She should have been more careful. Thank goodness baby wasnt harmed. It was accidental, I am sure she wont make that mistake with any baby again. Laughing was likely nerves/embarrassment. I dont think there is anything more you should do or anything to feel bad about.

Ceebs85 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:39:38

It's a non event.

CircleofWillis Fri 26-Apr-19 07:39:44

I gasped in horror too in defence of a PP. possibly because I did a term on traumatic brain injuries in children and just imagined the baby's brain knocking forward and backwards if it bounced on the sofa.

Artesia Fri 26-Apr-19 07:44:28

*I gasped with horror when I read this,*

Don’t suppose you’ve been to Rome recently CharlotteLV. Tour of the Sistine Chapel maybe? wink

ItsBloodyFreezingg Fri 26-Apr-19 07:44:43

I know you're upset OP but I can't help but roll my eyes at the gasps of horror and having actual nightmares because a baby fell, probably not much more than 30cm considering your friend was sat down, onto a soft sofa. It's all very dramatic.

She apologized and did a nervous laugh. Move on, it's really not worth losing a friendship over.

EdWinchester Fri 26-Apr-19 07:54:29

No big deal. Forget about it.

GlendaSugarbeanIsJudgingYou Fri 26-Apr-19 07:56:56

Oh God. -.-

Please, any new mothers or fathers stop reading now for your own sanity.

Kez200 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:57:58

Accidents happen.

Ali1cedowntherabbithole Fri 26-Apr-19 07:58:42

I’m sorry you are upset, but your baby is young and wriggly and about to become a lot more mobile and accident prone. As gently as possible, it might be your fault next time. (And you will feel terrible).

Be thankful for a soft settee and that for the most part babies bounce back better than their mothers flowers.

olivetreelane Fri 26-Apr-19 07:59:12

Was her laugh more along the lines of feeling embarrassed? Baby had a soft landing and she apologised. I don't think there is more you can do.

HotChocolateLover Fri 26-Apr-19 08:02:37

This is far less of an exciting thread than the title would suggest. ‘Baby falls on sofa’ It’s fine OP but not earth shattering news. My DS fell off the bed once when he was about two months old and lived to tell the tale.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 26-Apr-19 08:06:36

Trying to hold my four month old is like trying to wrangle a honey Badger, he wriggles and fidgets, is surprisingly strong (pound for pound stronger than an ox according to R4), he also has a knack for being calm, still and cuddly and then suddenly trying to launch himself out of your arms. It probably took her by surprise and yes a second arm would've been better, baby wasn't hurt, friend was probably a little shocked. I'm sure she'll be more careful in future.

bethy15 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:09:08

Accidentally scratched,yes, but dropped, no way. Dropping a 4 month old baby from shoulder height to a sofa doesn't sound like a 'these things happen' sort of thing.

From the first post it seems the friend was sitting on the sofa, she held the baby on the sofa and the baby came off her shoulder (on the sofa) and fell onto the sofa, so a couple of inches in all, she more moved from one spot to another rather than a sheer drop.

AlexaShutUp Fri 26-Apr-19 08:10:42

So your friend was sitting on the sofa and the baby fell from her arms on to the sofa?

MsTSwift Fri 26-Apr-19 08:11:10

I dropped a large wriggly baby when I was about 10. She started crying and my lovely mum who hadn’t seen what happened explained how sometimes babies cry for no reason blush. Never admitted it sometimes see her on fb she is gorgeous and successful 30 something living an international life but still feel abit guilty about her grin

budgiegirl Fri 26-Apr-19 08:11:20

I have several physical issues and drop everything but i have never dropped my baby

Maybe you’ve just been lucky. I’m almost scared to admit this, but I dropped all three of my DC when they were babies. They were all fine. Two of the times were due to me tripping up, once was just a wriggle that took me by surprise.

I’m not saying it’s ideal, but babies are generally tougher than we think. I can imagine it must be a bit of a shock though, to see someone else dropping your baby.

Mumberjack Fri 26-Apr-19 08:11:30

Your friend probably nervously laughed it off, then spent the rest of the day feeling terrible.

Bibbidyboo Fri 26-Apr-19 08:15:39

Can’t believe you even took the time to post this. It really is no big deal at all, babies are robust and falling from something soft to something else soft is nothing to worry about at all. I certainly wouldn’t stop letting people hold my baby or fall out with a friend over a silly accident where no harm was done

WhiskersPete Fri 26-Apr-19 08:21:37

Eh? She’s 4 months old so I’m presuming can support her own head. From what you described she slipped onto a soft surface.

You sound like hard work. As for posters who gasped in horror. Seriously? How do you function in day to day life?

CircleofWillis Fri 26-Apr-19 08:23:34

* From the first post it seems the friend was sitting on the sofa,*

blush I hadn't read the OP properly and thought the friend was standing with the baby over shoulder.

Sparklesocks Fri 26-Apr-19 08:23:48

Sounds like a nervous, break the tension laugh more than a ‘hahaha I dropped your kid lolz’

KidLorneRoll Fri 26-Apr-19 08:27:31

I wonder how the people who 'gasp in horror' at a 4 month year old falling a foot onto a sofa cope with day to day life.

Bookworm4 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:28:22

@artesia
I do wonder how Sistine lass is 😉
OP and the other hysterical mummy's, god help us if your child falls outside as a toddler; you'll be demanding medivac.
@parma
For you to be recalling drunk Mil 'dropping' baby is basically a lie, the baby slid off her lap onto sofa; no dropping at all.

Ihatehashtags Fri 26-Apr-19 08:28:44

What exactly will you say to her that won’t end the friendship? She said sorry, obviously she didn’t mean to drop your baby. The baby isn’t harmed, doesn’t have broken bones or any other injuries. You need to chill out.

SoyDora Fri 26-Apr-19 08:34:01

I have a 15 week old and he’s pretty robust, he’d probably laugh at being dropped on the sofa and think it was a game!

BlueSkiesLies Fri 26-Apr-19 08:34:06

I wonder how the people who 'gasp in horror' at a 4 month year old falling a foot onto a sofa cope with day to day life

The same ones who are on the bluebell wood thread saying they wouldn’t let their 16 year old go for a daytime walk in woods to break up revision.

People generally a bit shit at life.

HildaAlida Fri 26-Apr-19 08:34:25

This is why I never accept an invitation to hold a baby.

I do have a goddaughter though...I was playing with her once and managed to playfully swoop her so low that I bumped her head on the table. I could've cried I was so mortified but the parents (good friends) shrugged it off. The baby is now a robust 13 year old.

But I still won't hold a baby.

Flamingosnbears Fri 26-Apr-19 08:38:04

She really shouldn't have laughed it off, your right it could have been worse but luckily it wasn't move on and if she asks to hold baby again say not after last time.

DarklyDreamingDexter Fri 26-Apr-19 08:41:56

I'm not surprised you're upset by thinking what could have happened, i.e., baby could have fallen to the floor and been injured. The friend clearly wasn't holding the baby firmly enough. I don't think it's something to lose the friendship over as she has apologised and baby wasn't hurt, but I don't think I'd be leaving her holding the baby again without supervision any time soon. For those people saying 'these things happen' most people's handle other people's babies with extreme care because they are absolutely terrified of dropping them!

NewPapaGuinea Fri 26-Apr-19 08:42:45

Laughing was a response to guilt and relief that she wasn’t injured.

bethy15 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:44:24

I wonder how the people who 'gasp in horror' at a 4 month year old falling a foot onto a sofa cope with day to day life

I was thinking that, but then there's another thread on here with people gasping in horror at sharing toothpaste (something designed to be shared) with family and friends, and some even with their OH.

I do wonder how some people function day to day. I thought I had certain issues......

PerfectPeony2 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:44:54

Oh dear. I’m sure she was mortified and wanted to laugh it off.

Don’t worry. I remember when my baby first got hurt- she was about the same age and rolled off the bed. I was so upset, rushed her to the doctors and phoned my DH crying. The second time she rolled off the bed.. it was bad but I was calm and accepted it was an accident.

She’s almost 10 months old now and is particularly wriggly so is quite accident prone. If someone else was holding her and she fell I wouldn’t blame them.

It gets easier as they get older and you will probably relax more (and I consider myself a bit of a helicopter parent!)

SammySamSam09 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:44:55

Oh give over this is ridiculous. The baby is not a new born and it barely fell any distance onto a sofa.
My DC would have laughed if that had happened as they would have thought it a game.
I would and have said "slippery aren't they?" And my friend and I would have laughed. That's it. No nightmares or gasps of horror. No friendships broken or tears being cried. It's a total non event.

JaneDoe8000 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:45:46

"When I walked back into the room, she lost her grip on my baby and baby fell from her arm onto the sofa. Luckily baby was uninjured and swiftly picked back up."
It's good she wasn't injured.

"Friend said she had wriggled and sort of laughed it off and said sorry."
That's probably what happened then.

"She had baby in upright position, over her shoulder, I think with one hand low on body and I don’t feel she could have been supporting her particularly well,"
But you chose not to say anything, and this is what happened? Don't let her hold her next time.

"I didn’t say anything at the time, as I was a bit shocked."
You shou

"I now feel guilty for putting my daughter in that position and wonder if I should have said more."
Probably, but nothing terrible happened anyway.

"Do I just accept it was an accident or should I say more?"
Yes, just accept it. What else can you say? 'Don't drop my daughter on the sofa by accident in the future'?

"I just keep thinking how much worse it could have been and can’t help but feel responsible."
That's not going to achieve much. Just remember for the future and move on with your life.

TurquoiseAndPurple Fri 26-Apr-19 08:50:25

I'm sure she will be super careful whenever she holds yours or anyone else's baby from now on! It's probably safer than ever now to have her hold the baby 😂

My OH dropped our baby a couple inches when she wriggled out of his arms as he went to pick her up off the changing mat. She was absolutely fine as she barely fell. But he was so shook up and soooooo much more careful from then on!

Mistakes happen. Your friend had a 3 year old so she's not exactly new to the Mum thing.

Ginger1982 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:50:33

Ok, you need to calm down. It was an accident. My son rolled off the couch into the floor when he was 3 months old. I was so upset but he was totally fine. Your situation sounds even less concerning.

Thesearmsofmine Fri 26-Apr-19 08:53:55

It sounds a bit of a non event really. I wouldn’t fret over it anymore OP.

Wheresthebeach Fri 26-Apr-19 09:09:37

So the baby fell onto a soft surface and was fine?

Stop catastrophizing other scenario's or you will make yourself crazy.

I once slipped on the stairs carrying DD and she bounced to the bottom while I fell. Phoned the GP in a panic, they came round to check. Not on DD who was wailing the house down, but on me as I was whispering and breathing shallow due to the rib pain...no stocking feet on the stairs is still the 'new rule' due to that accident. DD is 14 now...

Surfskatefamily Fri 26-Apr-19 09:20:08

Id try not to get angry...best not let her hold baby again tho. The giggling probably was nerves, i do that sometimes if im feeling akward

goldenchicken Fri 26-Apr-19 09:31:08

@katers85

When I read the thread title, I thought you were going to say that she dropped your baby onto the concrete from 4 feet up, and she landed on her head!

Baby slipped from her grip onto the couch, a few inches down, and was quickly retrieved. You are being a bit OTT sorry OP.

Understandable when you are a new mum and your baby is tiny. Makes you very jumpy and over protective. Don't worry about it, but don't be hard on your mate, and don't let anyone hold your baby if you're that spooked!

AlexaAmbidextra Fri 26-Apr-19 09:44:08

Dropping a 4 month old baby from shoulder height to a sofa doesn't sound like a 'these things happen' sort of thing.

So you think the friend body-slammed the child on to the sofa? Of course these things just happen. 🙄

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Fri 26-Apr-19 09:46:38

@KidLorneRoll by not dropping out babies.

ChicCroissant Fri 26-Apr-19 09:58:11

The OP says in the second line of her post that they were all sitting on the sofa. The baby did not fall from a great height on to a hard surface, it would have been a few inches on to a soft sofa!

OP, I can understand you being protective over your baby but this kind of catastrophic thinking isn't good for you - has this happened before, the catastrophic thinking?

NoBaggyPants Fri 26-Apr-19 09:59:18

I did a term on traumatic brain injuries in children and just imagined the baby's brain knocking forward and backwards if it bounced on the sofa.

And in things that didn't happen...

Ali1cedowntherabbithole Fri 26-Apr-19 10:03:08

The OP isn’t coming back is she?

TerryWogansWilly Fri 26-Apr-19 10:04:30

Oh OP. I am guessing this is your first. I am not being patronising, I only guess that because if not you'd have dropped one by now grin Or let it roll off a couch. Or knock it's head against wall as you walk through a hallway.

Honestly. It's a miracle we're all mostly walking around fine. She's already got an older baby so probably a bit more relaxed about these things and kniws it won't be hurt by that.

Don't worry and don't feel guilty. No harm done.

outsho Fri 26-Apr-19 10:04:54

She fell onto the sofa so a soft surface and she is absolutely fine. You’re getting het up over nothing and the title is complete hyperbole.

Purplecatshopaholic Fri 26-Apr-19 10:06:31

You sound a bit over protective tbh, but I am very glad the baby is fine. I still have a small scar beside my eye where I rolled off the sofa as a baby and hit my face off the coffee table - accidents happen! (I was my mums first child and she was probably totally traumatised at the time, but she got over it!)

whyohwhyowhydididoit Fri 26-Apr-19 10:07:06

It sounds like it was more of a slip and slide out of hold and onto the sofa than a full on drop so I am sure no harm was done. I would have been mortified if I had done this so understand the nervous laughter and apology.

We all have those moments with our DC when something happens, we recover it and later our blood runs cold and we think ‘OMG, What if ......’.

I would let it go. It was an accident, it could happen to anyone and thankfully your baby wasn’t hurt.

englishdictionary Fri 26-Apr-19 10:09:02

Not gonna lie, the baby was fine, I would probably have laughed with my friend. Nothing happened. Nothing to worry about. Nothing to get wound up over. Nothing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »