Talk

Advanced search

To expect guests to bring toothpaste?

(320 Posts)
peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 20:22:44

Please settle a debate, all the guests we have from dh side (family and friends it seems) never bring their own toothpaste to use when they visit. Never been an issue with my side of the family. (Geographical thing maybe?)

Me and dh share toothpaste but I find it weird that people don’t bring their own to use when they visit and we have to share ours with the guests?

I have no idea why it irritates me so much, but just seems weird and kinda germy confused
Do you all take toothpaste when you go and stay somewhere?

wotsittoyou Thu 25-Apr-19 20:32:28

Yes, I'd always expect guests to use my toothpaste/shampoo/soap etc.

If I were a hotel, I'd like to think I'd be quite a nice one - with bits and bobs included!

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:33:39

Guests use our main bathroom too, I keep toothpaste in there for them (we use the en suite). I also keep shower gel, shampoo, conditioner etc in there for guests to use:

gamerchick Thu 25-Apr-19 20:33:44

Be glad they're not using your toothbrushes

Some people do this...

NuffSaidSam Thu 25-Apr-19 20:34:26

This is one of those 'things you never knew were an issue' ones for me.

It would never occur to me to bring my own toothpaste to someone's house. I've never had a guest bring their own toothpaste and if they did I'd think them a bit odd.

I think it's possible you're using toothpaste wrong if you think it's germy/disgusting/only to be shared with family.

Do they have to bring their own toilet roll? Their own condiments to use at dinner? Don't want them using your salt/ketchup/mayo!!

PookieDo Thu 25-Apr-19 20:34:35

I honestly have never thought about it being gross
I went to my Dsis a while back and could only find blue weird flavour kids toothpaste so we used that 😂
Also usually borrow or lend loads of my toiletries to friends and family

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:34:51

Why is it gross to leave a tube of toothpaste open? I assume you would leave the lid on?

Mum2jenny Thu 25-Apr-19 20:35:21

I would never consider to supply any guest (even my own visiting family) with toothpaste. And I always travel with my own as I'm picky about the taste of it.

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:36:10

Im not even averse to germs as such but I just find it odd that people don’t bring something that they need to stay

Do you expect them to bring towels? Bedding? Toilet roll? All things they need to stay.

MikeUniformMike Thu 25-Apr-19 20:36:36

Why would you pack an overnight bag and not put toothpaste in your washbag?

Leeds2 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:38:13

I always take my own tooth paste. And it never occurred to me that people didn't!

snoutandab0ut Thu 25-Apr-19 20:38:34

If I was going to a hotel or Airbnb I’d bring toothpaste. To a friend’s no! Nor would I expect them to bring their own. I wouldn’t expect them to bring towels or loo roll either, and if they’d forgotten their deodorant, make up wipes, moisturiser, foundation etc I’d give them mine to share and likewise would ask to use a friend’s if I forgot any of the above. Never has it been an issue, but then I don’t know many people who even live alone (London renters) let alone have two bathrooms

KittyDee Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:30

I’d always provide toothpaste, along with basic toiletries like shower gel and shampoo. Whenever I visit hotels I steal those little dental kits so have spare toothbrushes too in case! I’d hide my expensive moisturiser though!

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:52

I put some out for them. confused They can use whatever they like in the bathroom.

I take my own toothpaste when I stay anywhere because I like the charcoal stuff. But I will use whatever's going if I forget.

NuffSaidSam Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:54

'Why would you pack an overnight bag and not put toothpaste in your washbag?'

Because you're staying in a house where they will have that and you haven't heard about people who find it disgusting to share?

Same reason I wouldn't bring shower gel, toilet roll, towels, bedding, plates, cutlery, condiments....

tenbob Thu 25-Apr-19 20:40:11

I grab those little mini samples from the dentist to take with me but it wouldn’t occur to me to think it’s germy to use someone else’s or let someone else use ours

It’s just toothpaste!
This is going to be another weird MN germophobe thing, isn’t it

Spinnaret Thu 25-Apr-19 20:40:22

It would never occur to me to bring my own toothpaste to someone's house.

Whereas it would never occur to me not to take my own. I am visiting friends, not a hotel, and I don't expect to treat their homes as if they are.
I keep a small supply of spare toiletries in our guest bathroom for those who forget them. They are very rarely used, as almost everyone brings their own.

Orangeballon Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:41

I would definitely bring my own tooth paste as I am very fussy.

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:46

Whereas it would never occur to me not to take my own. I am visiting friends, not a hotel, and I don't expect to treat their homes as if they are

Well I do take it to a hotel, as they often don’t provide it. Not to a friends house though. And always provide it for guests.

peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:59

And no I wouldn’t expect them to bring shower gel or shampoos etc, because they don’t touch anything when you use them and are bulky to pack, a toothpaste tube takes up no space at all.

But i can see what the poster says about ireland and hand luggage only, thats different because of liquid allowances on planes and stuff, totally understandable.

And for the ‘jeez it’s just a toothpaste’, i did share mine of course and didn't make any deal of it at all, just intrigued to know what people normally did grin

Im happy to know that its a divided opinion though as me and dh have very differing opinions hehe

RainbowWaffles Thu 25-Apr-19 20:42:47

We have lots of visitors and always assumed they used the toothpaste in the bathroom. Similarly I rarely take it with me, it didn’t occur to me it was grim to share toothpaste. I have never heard anyone complain about it before now. Toothbrushes are of course different.

MikeUniformMike Thu 25-Apr-19 20:43:06

It just seems weird not to. I take a wash bag with all the stuff I need in it. I would not take plates and stuff though.
Some people also think it's ok to use someone else's hairbrush. Yuk.

BogglesGoggles Thu 25-Apr-19 20:44:24

Nope. I would also be preparedfor ghteststo use things like shampoo and moisturiser if they wanted to. I don’t ask them to bring their own loo roll eother wink

NuffSaidSam Thu 25-Apr-19 20:45:02

'I am visiting friends, not a hotel, and I don't expect to treat their homes as if they are.'

Using a squeeze of someone's toothpaste is not 'treating their home like a hotel'.

If your friends begrudge you a pea sized amount of toothpaste, you should look for some new friends! It's hardly a massive imposition is it?

HomeMadeMadness Thu 25-Apr-19 20:45:24

Depends where I'm going. If I'm going to family and I know we're going to be using a shared bathroom then I might just use the toothpaste that was there. If I was going to be using an en suite bathroom I wouldn't want to go to the hassle of asking to use toothpaste so I'd make sure to bring it.

People have used my toothpaste before and I haven't thought twice - I thought, like me they couldn't be bothered with the hassle if it exploded in the bag. Why would I mind if someone used a little toothpaste if they're my guest?

SirGawain Thu 25-Apr-19 20:45:54

If that's the only thing you can find to grumble about OP you are very lucky.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »