Talk

Advanced search

To expect guests to bring toothpaste?

(320 Posts)
peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 20:22:44

Please settle a debate, all the guests we have from dh side (family and friends it seems) never bring their own toothpaste to use when they visit. Never been an issue with my side of the family. (Geographical thing maybe?)

Me and dh share toothpaste but I find it weird that people don’t bring their own to use when they visit and we have to share ours with the guests?

I have no idea why it irritates me so much, but just seems weird and kinda germy confused
Do you all take toothpaste when you go and stay somewhere?

lrh3891 Sat 27-Apr-19 22:13:14

@DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen

takes a bow

Thanks!

I bloody love Mumsnet, I've learned things about personal hygiene I never even knew existed!

Jodie571 Sat 27-Apr-19 22:30:49

Are you serious? It’s just toothpaste?!

Fartymcnarty Sat 27-Apr-19 22:41:03

Do they bring their own toilet seat so that their bum germs don’t touch your bum germs!??

StoppinBy Mon 29-Apr-19 05:21:47

YANBU - I would not share toothpaste with any visitors ever, even sharing it with my DH bothers me a bot but I can deal with that.

I would rather offer to drive to the 24hr servo down the road than share mine.

Of course the toothpaste touches the brush, how else would you get it to detach from the rest of the toothpaste in the tube? Genuinely curious how people would get it on the brush without touching the brush.

Smotheroffive Mon 29-Apr-19 05:27:05

How is it a thread about toothpaste can run to so many pages...so many comments.

Genuinely puzzled confused

borntobequiet Mon 29-Apr-19 05:40:34

Late to this thread as distracted by Royal scandal threads over the weekend. Another one who takes mini tubes at the dentist for my own travel requirements. I have loads! They last a surprisingly long time and are more expensive brands than my regular toothpaste, which is nice. But I sometimes use whatever toothpaste is available when visiting family if I forget my own.
I also have a couple of snazzy folding toothbrushes.

Trebla Mon 29-Apr-19 05:43:31

How would you know and secondly, if I gone away without DH I'd leave the toothpaste at home for him. We don't have a tube for travel.

GottenGottenGotten Mon 29-Apr-19 07:41:23

How would you know

I've already asked how people know their guests use their toothpaste, and nobody answered.

I think people just assume based on what is normal to them.

CylindraceousNicholas Mon 29-Apr-19 08:49:51

I was cleaning my teeth last night, really getting down to business, when DH goes "hey... That's my toothbrush". Fucking was as well.

I grew up in a house with one tube of toothpaste for the whole household, so toothpaste sharing does not bother me. I would share toothpaste with anyone who visited.

SevenSeasofRye Mon 29-Apr-19 08:52:57

I would always take my own toothpaste, but if you know they do that, why don't you just get some for them when they visit?

woollyheart Mon 29-Apr-19 09:36:35

I'm quite happy for guests to use our toothpaste or any toiletries that are out.

However, a recent guest took my toothbrush home with her. I felt a bit yuk thinking that we had been probably been sharing it the entire time she was here. She must have thought it was hers. 😕

Twillow Mon 29-Apr-19 09:52:33

Here's the thing tho...if you find it U because of germs, do you have a tube of toothpaste for EACH person who lives at your house?? grin

Trillis Mon 29-Apr-19 10:02:07

I always take toothpaste when staying away somewhere. It would never occur to me not to. But I spent several years travelling a lot with work, where toothpaste was never provided, so it is second nature to take it with me.

We always have several tubes on the go at once though, as whevever a child can't find the toothpaste (because someone has moved it) they often go and get a new one out of the box. So there is always one I can take while leaving another at home.

It has simply never occurred to me that guests may have been using our toothpaste. I don't think it really bothers me, but until this thread it hadn't crossed my mind.

ReganSomerset Mon 29-Apr-19 10:10:34

I would bring toothpaste and a towel. I bring less stuff to a hotel! I don't want to be more inconvenient as a guest than I have to be.

LaurieMarlow Mon 29-Apr-19 10:33:13

Why would you bring a towel? I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t see providing towels as part of their role as the host. Like providing bed linen.

Waits for someone to pop up and tell me they bring bedlinen with them.

ReganSomerset Mon 29-Apr-19 14:01:52

I just bring them. I think it's because towels are much more intimate than bedding, unless you sleep nude. I'm not suggesting that everyone else should follow suit, and I would provide both towels and toothpaste for guests, but I get why the op expects guests to bring toothpaste.

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Mon 29-Apr-19 14:03:52

Today on Planet Mumsnet...

ReganSomerset Mon 29-Apr-19 14:35:32

grin

Love your username BTW. I'd forgotten all about that.

Smotheroffive Mon 29-Apr-19 15:58:49

...and people have more to say about toothpaste....!!!

So much to say about toothpaste.

I have seen some really intriguing and thought provoking threads on MN get nowhere near the footfall of this on toothpaste confused

Planet MN indeed! hmm

MrsDrudge Mon 29-Apr-19 18:37:42

Get some free samples from your dentist and keep them for your guests

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »