Talk

Advanced search

To expect guests to bring toothpaste?

(320 Posts)
peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 20:22:44

Please settle a debate, all the guests we have from dh side (family and friends it seems) never bring their own toothpaste to use when they visit. Never been an issue with my side of the family. (Geographical thing maybe?)

Me and dh share toothpaste but I find it weird that people don’t bring their own to use when they visit and we have to share ours with the guests?

I have no idea why it irritates me so much, but just seems weird and kinda germy confused
Do you all take toothpaste when you go and stay somewhere?

AgileLass Thu 25-Apr-19 20:23:38

How can you tell if they’ve used yours? confused

Darkbaptism Thu 25-Apr-19 20:24:22

YANBU, however buy some cheap toothpaste for guests that you now know won’t bring their own.

HBStowe Thu 25-Apr-19 20:24:56

I usually take my own but wouldn’t thing twice about sharing if a guest hadn’t brought any. It doesn’t bother me at all.

Butterymuffin Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:21

No, I take toothpaste to hotels, but if staying at someone's house I would use theirs. Maybe get in a guest tube of toothpaste to put out when they stay if it bothers you?

MikeUniformMike Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:22

Be glad they're not using your toothbrushes.

TerribleTwosPhase Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:25

I would tend to pack toothpaste, but I don't think I would be upset if a guest didn't & used mines. Why not keep a spare one for guests if you don't like them using yours?

PookieDo Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:47

Depends - family no I wouldn’t!

HolyMilkBoobiesBatman Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:50

Always take my own toothpaste, as does everyone I know. YANBU.

Pearpickinpenguin Thu 25-Apr-19 20:26:38

How is it germy to use someone elses toothpaste? Are people touching the tip of the toothpaste to the brush for some reason rather than squirting it in the brushes direction? Such an odd thing. I would NEVER expect my guests to bring toothpaste. Toothbrushes yes, toothpaste no.

Imustbemad00 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:26:52

I’d never take toothpaste to someone’s house no more than I’d take my own teabags or something. I’d take it to a hotel.

francienolan Thu 25-Apr-19 20:28:15

We normally do take toothpaste but forgot this last weekend at MIL's, she didn't seem to have an issue sharing hers, but we have shared ours with her on past visits.

(desperately hoping you AREN'T my MIL!)

Aquamarine1029 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:28:19

I always keep a couple of travel sized tubes on hand for guests in case they don't bring their own. I wouldn't like anyone aside from my husband and I using our tube, honestly.

mistermagpie Thu 25-Apr-19 20:28:23

I would take toothpaste and all my own toiletries, but that's because I prefer certain brands etc. But I don't think I'd notice, let alone mind, if a guest used my things when staying with me. If I like them enough to invite them to stay then I like them enough to share toiletries with them.

HardAsSnails Thu 25-Apr-19 20:28:49

Always take my own and would not want to share with anyone.

Purpleartichoke Thu 25-Apr-19 20:28:54

I always assume guests will be bringing their own toiletries. I don’t have any in the guest bath. I suppose I should save some hotel samples and keep it stocked.

Lunde Thu 25-Apr-19 20:29:03

I always have a basket of "emergency basics" in a basket in the bathroom that guests are free to dip into during visits (Mostly bought from Lidl or similar). Basic stuff like bar soap, shampoo, conditioner shower gel, (Usually Dove or similar), some cheap toothpaste and new toothbrushes.

mondaylisasmile Thu 25-Apr-19 20:29:25

I've never heard of someone expecting to use another person's toothpaste - the brush touches the paste...

Surely a toothbrush & paste are packed together when staying away from home?

Bizarre if not.

I've never had a guest ask for paste. I'd offer to get some at the corner shop if they did - not share!! hmm

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:30:02

I wouldn’t notice if guests used our toothpaste, let alone care!

CremeEggThief Thu 25-Apr-19 20:30:02

YABU. I went to Ireland for a few days last week with hand luggage only, and I didn't even bother taking my own deodorant. I expected I would borrow everything from my sister and friend, and I would have been annoyed if I'd felt they begrudged me this!

Biancadelrioisback Thu 25-Apr-19 20:30:55

Has never entered my mind to do this before...do you expect them to bring their own shower gel?

Purpleartichoke Thu 25-Apr-19 20:31:09

I actually would balk at sharing my toiletries because they are all ridiculously expensive and several have to be special ordered from tiny online companies. I’m not fancy, just have allergies that make it near impossible to buy things like toothpaste or shampoo.

SgtFredColon Thu 25-Apr-19 20:31:55

Ooh this is one of those things where both sides are shocked to find the other one does it different. Like the standing up/sitting down to wipe!

I do not bring toothpaste and it never occurred to me anyone would mind me using theirs!

peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 20:32:12

I know they use ours because we keep it upstairs in the en suite which we use but they have to ask us for some because they use the main bathroom when they stay.

I did have a cheap one for guests to use but we rarely have people stay (once every few months) so it seemed a bit gross to leave it open for so long for ‘just in case’ so i threw it out before the most recent one came to stay and didn’t have chance to replace it yet (hence why im posting this now as its fresh in my head)

Just weirds me out a little because the toothbrush bristles touch the tube and stuff. Im not even averse to germs as such but I just find it odd that people don’t bring something that they need to stay. If u think of brushing your teeth you need brush and paste hmm

OnlyLittleMissOrganised Thu 25-Apr-19 20:32:23

It's toothpaste! Jeez! If it was a toothbrush I'd be worried but even then I have spares for guests in case they forget. Do you not have a spare tube in the house you could lend them when they visit?

wotsittoyou Thu 25-Apr-19 20:32:28

Yes, I'd always expect guests to use my toothpaste/shampoo/soap etc.

If I were a hotel, I'd like to think I'd be quite a nice one - with bits and bobs included!

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:33:39

Guests use our main bathroom too, I keep toothpaste in there for them (we use the en suite). I also keep shower gel, shampoo, conditioner etc in there for guests to use:

gamerchick Thu 25-Apr-19 20:33:44

Be glad they're not using your toothbrushes

Some people do this...

NuffSaidSam Thu 25-Apr-19 20:34:26

This is one of those 'things you never knew were an issue' ones for me.

It would never occur to me to bring my own toothpaste to someone's house. I've never had a guest bring their own toothpaste and if they did I'd think them a bit odd.

I think it's possible you're using toothpaste wrong if you think it's germy/disgusting/only to be shared with family.

Do they have to bring their own toilet roll? Their own condiments to use at dinner? Don't want them using your salt/ketchup/mayo!!

PookieDo Thu 25-Apr-19 20:34:35

I honestly have never thought about it being gross
I went to my Dsis a while back and could only find blue weird flavour kids toothpaste so we used that 😂
Also usually borrow or lend loads of my toiletries to friends and family

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:34:51

Why is it gross to leave a tube of toothpaste open? I assume you would leave the lid on?

Mum2jenny Thu 25-Apr-19 20:35:21

I would never consider to supply any guest (even my own visiting family) with toothpaste. And I always travel with my own as I'm picky about the taste of it.

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:36:10

Im not even averse to germs as such but I just find it odd that people don’t bring something that they need to stay

Do you expect them to bring towels? Bedding? Toilet roll? All things they need to stay.

MikeUniformMike Thu 25-Apr-19 20:36:36

Why would you pack an overnight bag and not put toothpaste in your washbag?

Leeds2 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:38:13

I always take my own tooth paste. And it never occurred to me that people didn't!

snoutandab0ut Thu 25-Apr-19 20:38:34

If I was going to a hotel or Airbnb I’d bring toothpaste. To a friend’s no! Nor would I expect them to bring their own. I wouldn’t expect them to bring towels or loo roll either, and if they’d forgotten their deodorant, make up wipes, moisturiser, foundation etc I’d give them mine to share and likewise would ask to use a friend’s if I forgot any of the above. Never has it been an issue, but then I don’t know many people who even live alone (London renters) let alone have two bathrooms

KittyDee Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:30

I’d always provide toothpaste, along with basic toiletries like shower gel and shampoo. Whenever I visit hotels I steal those little dental kits so have spare toothbrushes too in case! I’d hide my expensive moisturiser though!

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:52

I put some out for them. confused They can use whatever they like in the bathroom.

I take my own toothpaste when I stay anywhere because I like the charcoal stuff. But I will use whatever's going if I forget.

NuffSaidSam Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:54

'Why would you pack an overnight bag and not put toothpaste in your washbag?'

Because you're staying in a house where they will have that and you haven't heard about people who find it disgusting to share?

Same reason I wouldn't bring shower gel, toilet roll, towels, bedding, plates, cutlery, condiments....

tenbob Thu 25-Apr-19 20:40:11

I grab those little mini samples from the dentist to take with me but it wouldn’t occur to me to think it’s germy to use someone else’s or let someone else use ours

It’s just toothpaste!
This is going to be another weird MN germophobe thing, isn’t it

Spinnaret Thu 25-Apr-19 20:40:22

It would never occur to me to bring my own toothpaste to someone's house.

Whereas it would never occur to me not to take my own. I am visiting friends, not a hotel, and I don't expect to treat their homes as if they are.
I keep a small supply of spare toiletries in our guest bathroom for those who forget them. They are very rarely used, as almost everyone brings their own.

Orangeballon Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:41

I would definitely bring my own tooth paste as I am very fussy.

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:46

Whereas it would never occur to me not to take my own. I am visiting friends, not a hotel, and I don't expect to treat their homes as if they are

Well I do take it to a hotel, as they often don’t provide it. Not to a friends house though. And always provide it for guests.

peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:59

And no I wouldn’t expect them to bring shower gel or shampoos etc, because they don’t touch anything when you use them and are bulky to pack, a toothpaste tube takes up no space at all.

But i can see what the poster says about ireland and hand luggage only, thats different because of liquid allowances on planes and stuff, totally understandable.

And for the ‘jeez it’s just a toothpaste’, i did share mine of course and didn't make any deal of it at all, just intrigued to know what people normally did grin

Im happy to know that its a divided opinion though as me and dh have very differing opinions hehe

RainbowWaffles Thu 25-Apr-19 20:42:47

We have lots of visitors and always assumed they used the toothpaste in the bathroom. Similarly I rarely take it with me, it didn’t occur to me it was grim to share toothpaste. I have never heard anyone complain about it before now. Toothbrushes are of course different.

MikeUniformMike Thu 25-Apr-19 20:43:06

It just seems weird not to. I take a wash bag with all the stuff I need in it. I would not take plates and stuff though.
Some people also think it's ok to use someone else's hairbrush. Yuk.

BogglesGoggles Thu 25-Apr-19 20:44:24

Nope. I would also be preparedfor ghteststo use things like shampoo and moisturiser if they wanted to. I don’t ask them to bring their own loo roll eother wink

NuffSaidSam Thu 25-Apr-19 20:45:02

'I am visiting friends, not a hotel, and I don't expect to treat their homes as if they are.'

Using a squeeze of someone's toothpaste is not 'treating their home like a hotel'.

If your friends begrudge you a pea sized amount of toothpaste, you should look for some new friends! It's hardly a massive imposition is it?

HomeMadeMadness Thu 25-Apr-19 20:45:24

Depends where I'm going. If I'm going to family and I know we're going to be using a shared bathroom then I might just use the toothpaste that was there. If I was going to be using an en suite bathroom I wouldn't want to go to the hassle of asking to use toothpaste so I'd make sure to bring it.

People have used my toothpaste before and I haven't thought twice - I thought, like me they couldn't be bothered with the hassle if it exploded in the bag. Why would I mind if someone used a little toothpaste if they're my guest?

SirGawain Thu 25-Apr-19 20:45:54

If that's the only thing you can find to grumble about OP you are very lucky.

HomeMadeMadness Thu 25-Apr-19 20:46:28

'I am visiting friends, not a hotel, and I don't expect to treat their homes as if they are.

Do you also bring your own bed linen, drinking water and food? Who on earth begrudges their friends 2p's worth of toothpaste!

BlueSkiesLies Thu 25-Apr-19 20:46:45

It’s toothpaste. Not your dildo.

Totally normal to share.

AuntMarch Thu 25-Apr-19 20:48:03

My brush doesn't touch the tube?
And where people are saying you'd just pack it at the same time as your toothbrush, that only works if you are the only one using the tube in the first place (in which case you are already weird and likely to be packing it) , or the whole household is travelling together.

saraclara Thu 25-Apr-19 20:48:45

I'd never use a host's toothpaste except in emergencies! Do people not take a washbag of stuff when they stay over with friends? If you're going to take a toothbrush, surely you'd take the paste too?

It's never occurred to me that a guest might use my toothpaste! I'm not horrified at the idea, but when I visit, I see my host's toiletries as their personal items.

Ugh...you toothpaste stealers don't use their roll on deoderant too, do you?!

Islaofsilly Thu 25-Apr-19 20:49:35

I do take my own but if I forgot I wouldn’t think twice about borrowing someone else’s. At least I wouldn’t have until reading this thread. Has literally never occurred to me.

MikeUniformMike Thu 25-Apr-19 20:49:37

I wouldn't mind if they used my toothpaste but I'd mind if they used my toothbrush or comb, or if they helped themselves to things in the bathroom cabinet - say they used up all the tampons without telling me and I didn't know that they had.
I'd be annoyed if they used my makeup but not moisturiser or body lotion in a pump or tube.

TheBigFatMermaid Thu 25-Apr-19 20:50:27

Not a chance I would share a tooth brush but I would not bat an eyelid at sharing toothpaste. I probably wouldn't even notice.

Judystilldreamsofhorses Thu 25-Apr-19 20:50:28

I would bring toothpaste, and shower gel, to someone’s house, as well as shampoo, conditioner etc. If someone asked to use mine I would assume they had forgotten.

I used to have an ex who lived on the other side of the country, and we would frequently meet in hotels for weekends, between where we both lived. He would never bring toothpaste, because he would assume I would have. I found that v odd.

NuffSaidSam Thu 25-Apr-19 20:50:29

'And no I wouldn’t expect them to bring shower gel or shampoos etc, because they don’t touch anything when you use them'

Wtf is your toothpaste touching?!?!

I think you're using toothpaste wrong! Do you and DH clean your teeth differently? Maybe that explains the difference of opinion?

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Apr-19 20:51:51

Lol at 'toothpaste stealers'.

Anything in my bathroom is up for grabs as far as I am concerned. Stuff toiletry wise I want to be precious about I don't keep in there.

I don't use roll on deodorant, but don't see the connection to toothpaste-it's not comparable.

phoenixrosehere Thu 25-Apr-19 20:52:08

I usually bring my own but have forgotten in the past and think to borrow my husband’s only to then remember he doesn’t bring any if we’re staying with his parents so use whatever they have.

I don’t touch the toothbrush bristles to where the toothpaste comes out so I would hope it wouldn’t be an issue.

Thatsashame Thu 25-Apr-19 20:52:55

First world problem. Do you hleach the loo seat inbetween uses too....?

Wheresthebeach Thu 25-Apr-19 20:53:10

How funny...always take my own toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel. Never occurred to me not to...

Mum2jenny Thu 25-Apr-19 20:54:23

I'd always take my shower gel as I can be allergic to some products. But I never plan to use toiletries at others houses.
Hotels I will expect them to provide, even if I choose not to use them, but never at friends and families houses.

ImNotHappyaboutitPauline Thu 25-Apr-19 20:54:39

Although I do actually bring my own toothpaste when staying with people, that's only because there's a particular brand I use and don't feel "clean" without it. It wouldn't cost me second thought if guests just use ours.

The only guests we ever have for more than one night are either my db, SIL and their 4 dc OR DHs dsis, her partner and their 4 dc. I tend to tell them not to bother with any toiletries as I figure packing for and traveling with 4 dc is enough faff for anyone without having to remember odds and sods that we'll already have.

LaurieMarlow Thu 25-Apr-19 20:55:45

It’s toothpaste. Not your dildo.

grin

Spinnaret Thu 25-Apr-19 20:55:49

I take flowers, wine and chocolates, and yes, food if they ask. I also take my own towel. I do not expect my friends to provide a full set of toiletries as you would get in a hotel. But sure, take it to the extreme.

I don't 'begrudge' people using toothpaste (hence I said I provide it for those who forget), but I also don't expect them to deliberately choose not to bring toiletries.

CrispbuttyNo1 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:56:26

Im confused. When i put toothpaste on the brush, the first bit out goes on the brush, the last bit doesnt touch it, so I dont see how any germs can be transferred.

It also wouldnt bother me about guests using the toothpaste or any other random toiletry in the bathroom either.

Lulu1919 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:56:27

Visiting friends..take my own
Visiting my dad....use theirs
Always have some in my toiletries bag though so....

puppy23 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:57:10

I'd find it weird and uncomfortable if a guest used mine, but then I don't share mine with anyone anyway

LaurieMarlow Thu 25-Apr-19 20:57:46

If you’re worried about cross contamination of germs from toothpaste sharing you need to calm the fuck down.

akerman Thu 25-Apr-19 20:57:55

Take my own toothpaste. Wouldn't worry me in the least if a guest used mine though. Also my bristles don't touch the paste, I don't think. I squeeze and the paste lands on my brush.

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:58:20

I’ve never taken my own towel when staying with friends/family either. And always provide towels for guests staying with us.
We have guests fairly regularly and have a fully stocked ‘main bathroom’... shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste etc. There’s even a brand new pack or disposable razors in case anyone wants them.

category12 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:59:02

Weird. You squeeze the toothpaste out onto the brush, you don't stick the brush into the toothpaste - I don't see where the hygiene issue is?

And no, it wouldn't bother me a bit if a guest used the toothpaste.

MoreCookiesPlease Thu 25-Apr-19 21:00:18

I've never heard of someone expecting to use another person's toothpaste - the brush touches the paste...

Weird. No it doesn't. The paste touches the brush, then you squeeze and lift the tube up and off. Or are you scraping the bristles of your brush against the opening of the tube?

rosablue Thu 25-Apr-19 21:00:21

My dentist always has a basket of toothpaste samples to help yourself to so I take one each visit to keep for my sponge bag and to leave in the guest bathroom if anyone needs it. I also have a pack of 5-for-a-pound toothbrushes in case anyone needs a toothbrush (or if I need one to take somewhere for a couple of days and don’t want to faff about with an electric toothbrush) and soaps etc from hotels in case guests need anything.

thelonggame Thu 25-Apr-19 21:00:45

I always keep in spares of basics for guests, you get a tube of toothpaste for under a pound, toothbrushes are four for a pound in cheap shops.
That way you don't have to worry about sharing grin

peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 21:01:05

I find that the toothpaste is very sticky and hard to get just a small section off onto the brush so it’s easier to very slightly wipe it over the end of the brush to put the amount needed on there. I obviously can get the paste off without this but it takes more effort that way halo

And my dh does the paste on brush the same way as me, but he is very laid back and doesn’t care about anything so that explains the divided opinion I think moreso smile

Fyi toothpaste is the only thing I’m even slightly weird over grin anything else I own is fair game haha

Bluntness100 Thu 25-Apr-19 21:01:11

This is quite extreme op. From worrying about germs if people use your toothpaste to throwing some out if it's been open too long. Just in case.

I take my own to peoples houses, but if I forget will use what's there. I don't care who uses ours, it's in the main bathroom and daughters en suite and guests use both bathrooms. We have guests at least once a month, often more.

Honestly it's really extreme to worry about this.

ladybee28 Thu 25-Apr-19 21:04:55

I had no idea the extent to which I must horrify people until I joined MN.

The things people are shocked by / worried over / disbelieving about STUNS me.

I must be leaving a trail of outrage behind me everywhere I go... grin

No fucks given, still, but...

CoffeeCoffeeTea Thu 25-Apr-19 21:04:55

I usually bring my own, but depends who I'm staying with and mode of transport. If its a lovely budget airline it's easier to take nothing. Also If it's my immediate family I don't bother. However, when visiting in-laws I take everything or buy when I get there!!
When anyone visits me, I leave a basket of toiletries in the room for them to use, this includes toothbrushes, cotton wool and sanitary products.

Teaandtoastie Thu 25-Apr-19 21:05:06

Family and good friends- I always expect to use their toiletries- shower gel etc, especially as we are normally travelling by train.

People I don’t know as well, eg my partner’s friends, I usually bring my own stuff and a towel. Not toothpaste though!

Butterymuffin Thu 25-Apr-19 21:05:23

Ugh...you toothpaste stealers don't use their roll on deoderant too, do you?!

I <gasp> use my host's toilet roll and don't bring my own! Shocking.

Nenuco Thu 25-Apr-19 21:07:23

I would expect to provide toothpaste if I have guests.

InsertFunnyUsername Thu 25-Apr-19 21:08:10

Every time i log into MN i realise that im a disgusting person, who knew blush

Rumboogie Thu 25-Apr-19 21:08:35

I always take toothpaste and all toiletries with me on visits - it never occurred to me to do otherwise. I only fairly recently realised that some people don't do this when we had a visitor who required toothpaste and soap on several occasions. So this thread is interesting. I now keep some travel sized toiletries in the spare room for visitors.

Itssosunny Thu 25-Apr-19 21:09:47

It's just good manners to take your own toothpaste. Also some people do touch the tube with their toothbrush.
Of course I wouldn't tell my guests to bring their own toothpastes but I would buy the cheapest one and if they don't like it they can bring their own one next time.

ThriftyMcThrifty Thu 25-Apr-19 21:10:12

I would never think to take toothpaste to someone’s house, any more than I would my own loo paper.

PodgeBod Thu 25-Apr-19 21:10:42

I just expect to use the hosts toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel etc. I only stay with very close family/friends so I would hope they don't begrudge it. Or maybe they're all talking about me!

Mum2jenny Thu 25-Apr-19 21:11:12

Would never expect to provide toothpaste or toothbrushes, Showergel yes, deodorant no, toilet paper always, towels yes.

peanacat Thu 25-Apr-19 21:11:36

Actually all products have an opening expiry date (normally a little tub symbol with 12M next to it etc) so I felt a bit mean leaving the paste there for them to use that had been open longer than a year (because hardly anyone uses it). I personally would use things that have been open longer than its recommended time but just seemed a bit weird to expect guests to use technically ‘out of date’ stuff.

I’m not extreme in the slightest, just interested to know what people think.

And the dildo comment grin

I think someone has hit on something though, currently it is just me and dh living together so we tend to travel together, didnt think about if multiple people in a family use one tube! We have a kiddywinks on the way so maybe I will change my stance on this grin

goose1964 Thu 25-Apr-19 21:11:37

I rarely visit anyone whose not close family so I don't take my own. I had to tell my son & DiL to only bring toiletries inc toothpaste if they use something special. I now have so many toothbrushes here.

Squigglesworth Thu 25-Apr-19 21:12:51

I bring my own toiletries when I travel and buy replacements, if I forget something or if my luggage is delayed. As others have said, if a guest asked to use our toothpaste, I'd assume they'd forgotten to pack their own. Wouldn't love to share a tube, to be honest, though I'd try to hide that fact-- and if I had a spare, I'd just give them that.

...Because yes, some people touch the brush bristles to the tube opening, and how are you to know whether or not your guests do? It's not likely to cause any problems, really, but it's still potentially kind of gross (to some of us, apparently).

Marypoppinshats Thu 25-Apr-19 21:13:07

Of course you should take toothpaste with you when you are visiting someone. You should take all your consumable toiletries bar loo roll!

As for the person who wanted to borrow deodorant- ewww 😩. It doesn’t matter if you flew with hand luggage only, there are shops!

notacooldad Thu 25-Apr-19 21:13:11

It wouldn't even cross my mind to think or care if people used the toothpaste.( or soap, or whatever) when they come to my house.

Yogagirl123 Thu 25-Apr-19 21:14:02

What a thing to worry about!

NixNopeNah Thu 25-Apr-19 21:18:05

YANBU. Yuk. I'm horrified how many people seem to think sharing toothpaste is normal. I'm going to start hiding mine and. Putting out a visitor tube out when guests come, just in case. If I didn't bring my own I'd go buy some when I arrived.

bellie710 Thu 25-Apr-19 21:18:07

Depends who i am staying with, I stay with my cousins and one friend quite a lot and never take shampoo/conditioner or toothpaste. Likewise hairdryer and straighteners. The same rules apply when they stay with me, why carry more than you need to! If it was someone I didn't know well then I would definitely take my own but also wouldn't mind asking them if I forgot mine, and would be more than happy for them to use anything of mine.

optimisticpessimist01 Thu 25-Apr-19 21:19:03

We usually bring our own toothpaste when visiting DH family, and same when they visit us. There have been numerous occasions for what ever reason where we have ended up forgetting toothpaste and the family has no problem at all with us borrowing theirs

I can see that your annoyed at the principle of the situation but I really don't think its that big of a deal. it's toothpaste

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 25-Apr-19 21:19:20

Why throw the spare tube out? Just put the top on!
Goodness, some people really are weird.

I would have no objection to anyone - family or not - using our toothpaste. We usually take our own, though when staying at dd's I've been known to use the kids'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »