Talk

Advanced search

To put poly cotton sheets on the bed as my guests have a 5 week old baby?

(74 Posts)
Movinghouseatlast Thu 25-Apr-19 14:43:44

My disclaimer is that I haven't had any children so I honestly don't know. And so sorry if it offends anyone- I genuinely want to know!

I run a luxury holiday cottage, advertised as a romantic bolthole for couples. A couple booked to come to a wedding around 4 months ago.

I have very expensive Egyptian cotton linen. It was a mistake as it stains very easily with bodily fluids of the romantic persuasion...

Anyhow, I have some emergency, brand new poly cotton linen. When it's ironed it passes for cotton- it is from a hotel linen company.

I want to use it as I am assuming they will sleep with the baby and change the baby on the bed. I told them there was no room for a cot or anything in the bedroom.

Am I being horrible? It is just plain pale grey so doesn't look fancy at all.

Also, should I offer them the travel cot? I assumed a new born couldn't use that but could be wrong.

Thanks.

Popskipiekin Thu 25-Apr-19 14:46:23

Offer them the travel cot. They may not want to sleep in the same bed as their baby. And put a waterproof mattress protector down. Dont think they’ll really notice the sheets one way or another. Do you have a change mat you can offer them too?

ziggiestardust Thu 25-Apr-19 14:46:31

YANBU. Buy some cheap white sheets from Amazon rather than the grey though. I used a travel cot with DS at 6 weeks; so you can certainly offer it.

BlingLoving Thu 25-Apr-19 14:47:09

Well, if you accept the "romantic" stains, I'd say you can't refuse to accept the risk of baby stains. So no, I wouldn't put the cheap sheets on. Also, most parents would have some kind of changing mat to change baby on when out and about so that they don't risk stains.

As for the cot, that's up to them. If they needed one provided, they'd have asked. Far more likely that they're bringing their own or some other kind of sleeping solution. As long as you have been completely clear on what is in the room, it's size etc so that they can make decisions accordingly, that's all you have to do.

BlackCatSleeping Thu 25-Apr-19 14:55:17

When I was a teen, my cousins stayed over with their baby and it shat all over my bed. My parents were really annoyed, but I thought it was funny. I think they were mid nappy change and it went a bit pear-shaped.

It's fine to use cheaper bed linen, I think. It wouldn't bother me.

Tumblefluff Thu 25-Apr-19 14:58:32

I think it depends on what you've advertised as to whether you can swap the sheets without at least informing them.

Synthetic fibres can exacerbate skin conditions such as eczema.

blackteasplease Thu 25-Apr-19 14:59:27

No one will notice the bed linen I think.

I would offer the travel cot . There's no reason a small baby can't use it. In some ways it's better than a cot mattress that's been used many times as it is firm and baby couldn't bury their face in it.

highstresslevels Thu 25-Apr-19 15:00:43

I am confused; you said there is no room for a cot in the room- then asked if you should offer them the travel cot? Unless I misread.
Anyway, just put on whichever sheets you want- I doubt anyone would notice so long as they are clean.

HoraceCope Thu 25-Apr-19 15:16:04

polycotton is absolutely fine

happymum12345 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:16:41

I would notice the bed linen & I’d be disappointed if it was poly cotton. I’d be surprised if they didn’t use a changing mat or towel on the bed to change the baby!

HoraceCope Thu 25-Apr-19 15:16:46

perhaps the baby will sleep in a pram op?

brizzlemint Thu 25-Apr-19 15:18:14

I'd take the brand new polycotton any day over the 'romantically stained' Egyptian cotton.

Theninjawhinger Thu 25-Apr-19 15:19:08

If you are billed as luxury and charging luxury prices then you need to provide luxury sheets!

I would notice the quality I’m afraid, and would think you had cut corners. That said, any stains on the sheets that my baby had made I would expect to be charged for!

stucknoue Thu 25-Apr-19 15:22:37

If you advertised cotton with a high thread count then it's vu to change them - they can be charged if they are stained unreasonably

steppemum Thu 25-Apr-19 15:25:36

the whole point about expensive egyptian cotton is that you can wash it at 90 and it comes out looking beautiful.

Get some ariel and wash your sheets in a hot wash!

YonWeeLassie Thu 25-Apr-19 15:34:09

They are highly unlikely to sleep with a five week old baby in their bed, a travel cot would be safer but they will probably bring their own if they haven't actually asked you.

IHateUncleJamie Thu 25-Apr-19 15:35:24

Probably a daft question and won’t help you now but in future, why don’t you change the listing to Adults only? Lots of holiday cottages are “not suitable for children or pets” and then you wouldn’t have this dilemma.

FWIW I would rather have nice polycotton sheets than worry about being hit with a cleaning bill. But why not offer them the choice?

DarlingNikita Thu 25-Apr-19 15:37:36

YABU. Poly-cotton is horrible. I stayed in a holiday cottage a while ago and, while overall it was lovely, it had poly-cotton sheets that made me sweat and it has slightly tainted my memory and opinion of the place.

Better to offer a travel cot and use a mattress protector.

Movinghouseatlast Thu 25-Apr-19 17:35:31

It is adults only, but I agreed to the baby as they said it might not necessarily be born yet. I told them there was no room for a cot. It could go in the bathroom though with the door open.

There seems to be a split here though. I thought It would be unanimous one way or the other!

IHateUncleJamie Thu 25-Apr-19 20:15:17

You could offer the travel cot and remind them that it would have to go in the bathroom. Wouldn’t a 5 week old be in a Moses Basket though? (My dd is 19 so it’s been a while) grin

I would offer them the choice of bedlinen and just point out nicely that if baby has an accident on the Egyptian Cotton there would have to be a cleaning charge but if they’d still prefer it regardless that’s fine.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Thu 25-Apr-19 20:20:08

I'm baffled? Why would they assume baby might not be born yet, unless the baby was pretty early surely they knew if was likely they would be here?

I also don't understand why you have a travel cot if it is for couples only and you have no children?

Anyway in regards to the bedding I would keep the posh sheets on, chances are they will be more considerate of them than other guests and their romantic endeavours.

Darkbaptism Thu 25-Apr-19 20:21:15

As it’s listed as adults only I wouldn’t supply a travel cot. They may bring their own or use a pram.

SoyDora Thu 25-Apr-19 20:24:13

A baby that age will probably be in a Moses basket? We’ve never had any of our babies sleeping in with us, I just didn’t feel comfortable and wouldn’t be able to sleep. Never changed one on a bed without a mat underneath either.
We were away ‘glamping’ last night with our 15 week old. Baby slept in the bassinet of the pram.

OVAgroundWOMBlingfree Thu 25-Apr-19 20:32:50

I don’t understand the maths here.

Also I would notice the difference in the sheets and if you had advertised luxury linens I would complain. I’m always boiling hot when first breast feeding a newborn and anything that would contribute to making that worse would ruin my break.

Movinghouseatlast Thu 25-Apr-19 21:22:48

I have a travel cot as I have another house I rent out.

I assume that the baby was born early? They thought it might not be born if it was late I guess?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »