Talk

Advanced search

To think the UK media silence on the Prince William rumours is odd

(1000 Posts)
Absofuckinglutely Thu 25-Apr-19 14:27:10

Just that really. No idea if there's anything more than rumour and speculation, but it's all over social media that Prince William allegedly had an affair with one of Kate's friends, but there is a total media silence on it.
Pretty bizarre considering that Meghan Markle barely has to breathe and the media are covering it.

Northernlurker Sat 27-Apr-19 14:46:37

I think the whole thing, the affair, the rumours Meghan Ieaked it, the Meghan/Kate/William/ Harry feud is all bollocks.

TheBulb Sat 27-Apr-19 14:46:44

Of course you can be lower middle class. In fact, I think the most prevalent class position on Mn is lower middle class — in point of view and habits of mind, regardless of income.

Whizzler Sat 27-Apr-19 14:47:25

If they were going to test someone they would do it by planting a 'William comfort eats Ginsters pies in the middle of the night' type rumour, not 'William's being getting his leg over with the young beauty in the neighbouring estate'.

justasking111 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:48:29

If there was proof the uk media could publish, therefore, it is gossip at the moment perhaps.

Iamnotagoddess Sat 27-Apr-19 14:48:36

What I'm saying - and I would have thought it was obvious - is that when you've only been with someone a short time (much of it long-distance), you're less likely to stray than if you'd been with someone for many years and routine has set in

I disagree, Navy wife, not true at all grin

TheBulb Sat 27-Apr-19 14:49:04

Sorry, Hill, my misread. I tend to forget about Edward, in fairness, anyway. I think that clip of film where he gets petulant because some paps didn’t sound enthusiastic about the Royal Knockout horror made me cringe so much that I mentally delete him.

Mummylovesbags Sat 27-Apr-19 14:51:17

This is a great thread, can we not ruining it by descending into arguments. Let’s just graciously disagree and agree to disagree. This isn’t he court of law so let’s keep it chilled 😊

Haworthia Sat 27-Apr-19 14:51:31

Do people seriously think that W&K would slander Rose Hanbury as a test? Really?! No one but a fool would risk someone else's reputation in a test like that.

Exactly. It’s ludicrous to think otherwise.

Abra1de Sat 27-Apr-19 14:53:03

So a married couple decide to make up a rumour about a close friend having an affair with one of them, suspecting it may hit foreign newspapers and SM if leaked. Possibly causing the friend and her family, including her children, who are friends with their own son, distress? To test their SIL?

I call bollocks.

Iamnotagoddess Sat 27-Apr-19 14:55:08

@Abra1de

I agree - thinking about it.

The test would have been the Ginsters route.

Abra1de Sat 27-Apr-19 14:55:51

And that’s distressing enough, Iamnot 😆

justasking111 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:56:16

The royals carry out a lot of engagements, some more than others. Edward and Sophie work hard imo.

HillRunner Sat 27-Apr-19 14:57:14

Not only would it piss off Rose and her family, it would also piss off all of the aristo set who are her friends. It would be a colossally stupid thing to do. The RF haven't maintained their position for so long by being naive as to the power of image and reputation.

It'd be one thing for Kate and Rose to have a tiff. It'd be quite another to spread that kind of rumour about someone as a 'test'.

Iamnotagoddess Sat 27-Apr-19 14:59:25

So it’s true what they say about Anne being the hardest working Royal.

ByeClaire Sat 27-Apr-19 15:01:23

If there was proof the uk media could publish, therefore, it is gossip at the moment perhaps.

Wrong. There’s a whole legal system to navigate. As I and others have said:
There will be an injunction granted by the High Court.
To go up against the royal family, or anyone with a lot of money, they’ll need an iron clad affidavit from someone trustworthy with definitive knowledge.
The papers have strongly hinted at an affair in there own way, like by talking about the rift but not the reason.

There is a LOT that the papers know but can’t publish because of legal action, either the threat of it or the risk of it. Defamation cases are lengthy and very costly and you are very unlikely to have your coats paid by the other side even if you win.

justasking111 Sat 27-Apr-19 15:01:27

Edward did the most overseas engagements.

CourageCalls Sat 27-Apr-19 15:01:54

The way I see it is as follows (obviously just speculation)

PW has something with MoC whether that be affair or just flirtation. This leads to DoC order to faze her out. Happens about 2-3 years ago. The press know KP know. There is no proof. Maybe leaked by the flower.

KP need to take the heat off PW so start leaking small stories about PH and DoS. At first they are benign so no ones too bothered. Until they have to up the game now PH is pissed his wife is getting roasted for his brother. They have words/argument/fallout. This leads to the break from KP and new Instagram and BP press.

PH is seen with DoC and they have no beef with each other and probably like each other a lot. It shows!

Human beings cheat and lie it's wouldn't surprise me who did the cheating or lying.

justasking111 Sat 27-Apr-19 15:04:49

I remember journalists saying when the News of the World closed down that they had a secret safe room where there was evidence, tapes etc. of all sorts that they were never able to print because of the costs in court. They were still very useful as leverage though.

mrscampbellblackagain Sat 27-Apr-19 15:10:26

I thought that Kate and Rose weren't even friends really - merely acquaintances. So maybe there was no freezing out and the whole thing has just been made up by Theresa May to distract us all from Brexit. Cheaper than going to war as a diversionary tactic wink

ByeClaire Sat 27-Apr-19 15:11:02

justasking111 well you answered your own W there didn’t you, they may have had the proof but was it worth the costs or in this case the deterioration of a relationship with the RF? Injunctions are granted all the time in cases where there is proof held by the media but the courts agree that there isn’t a good enough reason for them to publish it.

I am sure that any evidence the nexus have is used as leverage in some way against the RF, eg they get info or access from them in return.

FannyWork Sat 27-Apr-19 15:11:18

couragecalls, there doesn’t seem to have been any particular heat on PW though and certainly not enough to warrant throwing DoS to the dogs. Neither of the Cambridge’s has ever had any truck with the media and their circle of friends 100% loyal and never speak to the press.

Every single source I’ve seen suggests this came directly from the DoS and everybody knows it was from her. It’s a bit too much of a coincidence that she’s turned up and suddenly the iron curtain around the Cambridge’s personal life is being breached.

I imagine we’ll all know the truth in 10-15 years or so.

ByeClaire Sat 27-Apr-19 15:11:25

Q not W!

justasking111 Sat 27-Apr-19 15:12:54

It is a bit unfair that the legal system has been used to protect the Cambridge family but not the Sussex family imo.

janeybumtum Sat 27-Apr-19 15:12:59

I can see the majority opinion is that these rumours are untrue so I'm going against the grain here by saying I don't have a clue but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. I'm completely speculating but I never thought he was a particularly nice guy. I'd got the impression over the years that he'd messed Kate about early on and she'd put up with it.
No one really knows anything about her at all, she is glamorous, well turned out and behaves with decorum, but she's clearly a private person. I once saw them from a distance when they were visiting a city I lived in, I can't explain why but I just somehow felt he didn't have the nice family man vibe portrayed in the media which I expected.

I wouldn't be that shocked if they split up or there is a confirmed story about an affair in a few years or decades time and lists of his past dalliances appear with the name Rose included.

I could be completely wrong, but that's my opinion on it.

ElektraLOL Sat 27-Apr-19 15:14:32

Can we have a thread #2? I have a bad back & this made me laugh 😂

This thread is not accepting new messages.