Talk

Advanced search

To think the UK media silence on the Prince William rumours is odd

(1000 Posts)
Absofuckinglutely Thu 25-Apr-19 14:27:10

Just that really. No idea if there's anything more than rumour and speculation, but it's all over social media that Prince William allegedly had an affair with one of Kate's friends, but there is a total media silence on it.
Pretty bizarre considering that Meghan Markle barely has to breathe and the media are covering it.

Roussette Thu 25-Apr-19 14:28:10

Sounds like a load of old tosh to me.

Doubt it very much. He seems besotted with her.

Hollowvictory Thu 25-Apr-19 14:28:57

Perhaps because it's nonsense.

Sirzy Thu 25-Apr-19 14:30:43

Perhaps because they have more sense than to believe all the shite posted online?

FocusTalk Thu 25-Apr-19 14:30:57

Doubt it very much. He seems besotted with her.

^This

Chancewouldbeafinethlng Thu 25-Apr-19 14:31:58

I saw something a while back that was saying it without saying it. Or so it felt like.

The media is so shady that I’m not surprised. They’re all in it together. Very well controlled.

Bluntness100 Thu 25-Apr-19 14:32:40

Huge lol. Media silence my arse. It's made up social media crap because she had a falling out with a friend. What do you want, media stories on it..🤣🤣🤣

TheQueef Thu 25-Apr-19 14:32:47

Maybe they have had their pound of flesh from William already.

NannaNoodleman Thu 25-Apr-19 14:34:06

Didn't Claudia Winkleman's sister's husband's sister's dog's vet's wife's cousin's garden gnome remove a tweet saying something about this!?

Hollowvictory Thu 25-Apr-19 14:34:08

And their relationship with the royal family will be over. Its not worth it for them to print rumour and speculation and be kicked off every royal story and your for ever more.

PortiaCastis Thu 25-Apr-19 14:34:10

Oh do you really fall for all that crap and anyway spreading nasty bollocks is a bit grim , its a lot of shite so just ignore it FGS

VladmirsPoutine Thu 25-Apr-19 14:34:23

Perhaps there's no basis to it. That said the media coverage I did see about it blamed Meghan for making it worse by blaming Kate. Oh how I laughed.

Tell you what, had it been rumours about Harry cheating; I reckon there'd be a massive 7-page spread about it.

tisonlymeagain Thu 25-Apr-19 14:34:28

Because of this I guess

Lawyers acting for Prince William, second in line to the British throne, have threatened legal action if U.K. media repeat rumors published in an American magazine about him having an affair with an aristocratic friend.

www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/royal-lawyers-issue-warnings-over-rumors-of-prince-william-affair-with-marchioness-of-cholmondeley

Hollowvictory Thu 25-Apr-19 14:34:50

Claudia's half sister is married to a royal.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 25-Apr-19 14:35:25

I've read it in the MSM, probably because its bollox and no one actually believes it. I would sincerely doubt he'd play away from home, given the hell his mother put them both through with her dalliances.

TheSerenDipitY Thu 25-Apr-19 14:36:05

after the pain and damage infidelity has caused in his life do you really think hes off fucking other women

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 25-Apr-19 14:36:58

Claudia's half sister is married to a royal.

- Freddie Windsor, he's number 48 at the moment, bit far down the pecking order

happyhillock Thu 25-Apr-19 14:37:40

I don't think he has had an affair, certainly don't think the media would keep it quiet.

BertrandRussell Thu 25-Apr-19 14:38:55

Because injunctions?

Nicknacky Thu 25-Apr-19 14:39:02

Because the media aren’t stupid enough to publish unfounded gossip with no apparently credible source to back it up. It’s just gossip.

ukgift2016 Thu 25-Apr-19 14:39:33

The press are silenced. The royal family have more power than you think.

William definitely seems the type to cheat. He never seemed into Kate as she was into him. He is like his father.

Lovetunnocks Thu 25-Apr-19 14:39:48

Injunction.

pikapikachu Thu 25-Apr-19 14:40:40

* after the pain and damage infidelity has caused in his life do you really think hes off fucking other women*

Someone linked to a study that said children whose parent(s) had affairs were more likely to have affairs when they were older. If

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 25-Apr-19 14:41:50

after the pain and damage infidelity has caused in his life do you really think hes off fucking other women

Oh dont be naive!

Not saying he is, not saying he isnt. Couldnt care less either way tbh, but that comment is ridiculous.

Mominatrix Thu 25-Apr-19 14:41:54

WHy do you care?

BertrandRussell Thu 25-Apr-19 14:42:38

“after the pain and damage infidelity has caused in his life do you really think hes off fucking other women”

It doesn’t stop men in any other walk of life.....

Absofuckinglutely Thu 25-Apr-19 14:43:14

I'm not asking about whether there's anything in the rumours....that wasn't what I asked at all. For the record, I think it's very unlikely.

However, I do believe it's strange that no media have picked it up, as whenever anything is trending on Twitter about other celebrities, royal family etc, the tabloids are all over it like a rash, whether true or not.

Seems like there's been some sort of blackout on this, which makes it seem rather strange.

SrSteveOskowski Thu 25-Apr-19 14:43:17

I don't like William. He always seems too up himself, like he's looking down his nose at the 'ordinary plebs'.

I know Harry is getting a hard time of it at the moment, but he always came across much nicer and more friendly. He was always down on his knees playing with kids and rolling around on the ground playing football with them.
William always seemed very distant towards people.

ExhaustedGrinch Thu 25-Apr-19 14:44:23

after the pain and damage infidelity has caused in his life do you really think hes off fucking other women - This was my first thought too. I'd be very surprised if it's true and even if it is I don't believe it is in the publics interest to know these things.

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Thu 25-Apr-19 14:45:39

In b4 the deletion msg...

mooncuplanding Thu 25-Apr-19 14:46:29

I've always been a bit suss about his commitment to her, ever since their split in the early days. He "wasn't sure" then but suddenly changed his mind - I'm not sure how often that works out.

www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a23309005/kate-middleton-prince-william-breakup/

And he is his parents' son after all.

forky882 Thu 25-Apr-19 14:46:40

This thread will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2....

PlatypusPie Thu 25-Apr-19 14:46:47

What an unpleasant gossip you are, OP.

Sarcelle Thu 25-Apr-19 14:46:52

Sometimes the media do keep things quiet. Going back in time I remember the surprise when Caron Keating died from breast cancer. Nobody knew she had it, and she had been battling it for years. She had disappeared from view but her mum Gloria Hunniford said the press were very good, they knew why she had dropped out of public gaze and allowed them privacy and never revealed it.

Also, a popular daytime show has been missing one of its favourite presenters since Christmas. A small incident was revealed just after then, and it is something that you would imagine the press to pursue, but they haven't. I think they are respecting privacy there too.

I don't believe the William stories. I think Kate looks radiantly happy at the moment. She is either completely relaxed or a supreme actress but I think its the former.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 25-Apr-19 14:47:39

I feel sorry for the doc if he has. No one deserves to be cheated on.

DeadWife Thu 25-Apr-19 14:47:41

Lots of people care about being lied to. Why do they deserve media protection? We're not in the Middle Ages.

Or are we?

myrtleWilson Thu 25-Apr-19 14:47:44

But the UK media have been covering it but just in a more guarded way - detailing Rose and DoC "falling out" - describing Rose as a "rival"....

Badtasteflump Thu 25-Apr-19 14:48:33

Claudia Winkleman's half sister Sophie married into the royal family (her husband is Lord Frederick Windsor (son of Prince Michael of Kent).

Claudia's BFF is Victoria Coren Mitchell. Victoria's brother Giles Coren tweeted that the rumors were true and that PW did have an affair. Then he deleted it.

Probably bollox but I find the connections interesting! And I can't understand why the feck he would tweet that - true or not....

Mominatrix Thu 25-Apr-19 14:49:13

And this is something you actively think about so much so that you need to start a thread on a public forum???

phoenixrosehere Thu 25-Apr-19 14:49:14

I agree OP. I mention something similar on a thread about Harry and Meghan and I got eye-rolled. It’s seemingly ok for the tabloids to make drama about a pregnant woman and people choose to not only believe it but criticise her over what a supposed “insider” said yet these rumours that have been floating around for over a month are not true. I agree that it may not be true, but why is so easy to say that it’s a rumour but not give the same courtesy to the Duchess of Sussex.

Pengrin Thu 25-Apr-19 14:50:05

WHy do you care?

Why do people get so aggro on threads about the royals confused

HomeMadeMadness Thu 25-Apr-19 14:50:17

I think the issue is that the media is all over Megan not that they don't report on idle gossip about William.

bethy15 Thu 25-Apr-19 14:51:28

*Sounds like a load of old tosh to me.

Doubt it very much. He seems besotted with her.*

So is most of the royal garbage they print, but they still do. All of the crap about Meghan was tosh, but they still printed it.

He seems so, however so do so many other men who have affairs.

In a certain part of society, this is already openly known.

acomingin Thu 25-Apr-19 14:52:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Absofuckinglutely Thu 25-Apr-19 14:52:33

@PlatypusPie and get you still clicked on the topic. Get over yourself. There's no call for ad hominem attacks.

Ivegotthree Thu 25-Apr-19 14:53:09

Ooh what daytime show @Sarcelle ?

I work full time so not as up on daytime telly as I used to be.

Give us a clue!

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 25-Apr-19 14:53:36

I don't like William. He always seems too up himself, like he's looking down his nose at the 'ordinary plebs'.

Keeps his distance from the press, seeing as they drove his mother quite literally, to her early death.

Its really quite grim, specualting on another relationships. This is why , I suppose, they hate the press. I like the fact he protects Kate from this shit.

bethy15 Thu 25-Apr-19 14:53:38

Because the media aren’t stupid enough to publish unfounded gossip with no apparently credible source to back it up. It’s just gossip.

Again, they do about everyone else.

Wasn't the fact that Kate and Meghan had had a big falling out and that's why they were moving a lot of unfounded gossip? It doesn't stop them about most celebs/royals.

OP, it's clear they were throwing Meghan under the bus while this was going on to cover it up.

Absofuckinglutely Thu 25-Apr-19 14:54:19

For the record, I couldn't care less about whether he did or didn't. I care about the reasons for lack of reporting - censorship etc.

canadianbanana Thu 25-Apr-19 14:54:45

Didn't Claudia Winkleman's sister's husband's sister's dog's vet's wife's cousin's garden gnome remove a tweet saying something about this!?

I think I read that same tweet! grin

LittleAndOften Thu 25-Apr-19 14:55:12

I can't help but think back to that old Prince Charles interview before Diana, where he discussed how difficult it was to find someone who will make a suitable queen, and also a loving wife.

I can't help but wonder if the queen-material criteria won out for Wills, over romantic love. Kate certainly seems well-trained, demure and proper. Having said that, the couple do appear to have a joyful family life with their little ones. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Infidelity sounds unlikely, but none of us know his true personality any more than we do of the Queen herself. They show us what they want to show.

PortiaCastis Thu 25-Apr-19 14:55:42

That gnome has a lot to answer for grin

Absofuckinglutely Thu 25-Apr-19 14:55:53

@bethy15 that is my point entirely. The media always speculate on rifts with Megan
and Kate, and report on rumour all the time.
So why the silence on this?

Quintella Thu 25-Apr-19 14:55:59

Makes it more likely tbh.

ChocChocButtons Thu 25-Apr-19 14:56:14

I’ve no idea what your on about tbh? This American magazines make up utter rubbish.

DogInATent Thu 25-Apr-19 14:56:15

Social media is full of people inventing rumours and living other people's lives rather than their own.

Who gives a shit? - other than some author who's lining up a book on how broken marriages are hereditary and needs a famous example to help pitch it to a publisher.

recrudescence Thu 25-Apr-19 14:57:07

This is one of those situations where I wouldn’t be surprised and don’t care in equal measure.

BertrandRussell Thu 25-Apr-19 14:57:18

I can’t wait for the Monarchy to implode but until then I want my money’s worth of scandal and frocks and tiaras and babies carriages drawn by matched white horses and speculation......I feel it’s the least they can do.

PlatypusPie Thu 25-Apr-19 14:57:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Badtasteflump Thu 25-Apr-19 14:58:56

So why the silence on this?

Because lawyers for PW have threatened legal action against any UK papers reporting on the story - which is why they've done it in a roundabout way, hinting about the Rose woman being Kate's 'rural rival' and them falling out, etc...

Badtasteflump Thu 25-Apr-19 15:00:26

I can’t wait for the Monarchy to implode but until then I want my money’s worth of scandal and frocks and tiaras and babies carriages drawn by matched white horses and speculation......I feel it’s the least they can do

Ha, I have to agree. The world's most expensive soap opera...

Quintella Thu 25-Apr-19 15:00:34

The British press love a good old disingenuous hint when clearer paths are off bounds.

LaurieMarlow Thu 25-Apr-19 15:00:39

I haven't a clue obviously, but it wouldn't be surprising if he did. The family have lots of form, with his father and grandfather leading the way.

I don't blame them for keeping it out of the press, I just wish they'd try a bit harder to keep a lid on the Meghan bashing. It's very unpalatable.

Quartz2208 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:01:57

50 years ago it would have been expected - he if hasnt he would be the first potential Prince of Wales who hasnt!

That said today the Daily Mail is making it very clear the fallout (for whatever reason) is between the brothers and no one else

NoYo Thu 25-Apr-19 15:03:04

The Royals still have a great deal of power and influence. It would be easy for them to cover up an awful lot of things with a complicit media.

bethy15 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:03:36

People get really het up about they royals, hey?

I wonder if they respond the same way if a thread is made about a celeb marriage rumours?

Like this....

You have started this thread, OP, just to push the story further. Your faux innocence ‘ just wondering’ is fooling nobody . That is why you are an unpleasant gossip.

A bit much. I also wondered why our press are not covering it when other countries are and it was a top trend on twitter. They've clearly been silenced and if that doesn't bother you then it should.

Sarcelle Thu 25-Apr-19 15:03:59

If it is true it could be why Harry is being distant with William. He seems fine with Kate.

Quintella Thu 25-Apr-19 15:04:27

I wonder if when marrying into a royal family (any royal family, not just the British one) whether the future bride is given a crash course on things to expect. Infidelity: expect it and handle it.

CuriousaboutSamphire Thu 25-Apr-19 15:05:13

The press are silenced. The royal family have more power than you think. Huh? I could get the same injunction if I had the same grounds. Anyone could. Many Someone's have! Often!

Hate the royals if you like, but at least do it from an informed perspective!

caughtinanet Thu 25-Apr-19 15:06:53

WHy do you care?

It's OK, you know, to be interested in stuff, why shoudln't someone be, the question is more why you would bother to post that.

CuriousaboutSamphire Thu 25-Apr-19 15:07:11

Arrgh! Meant to add... if they had as much power as they are supposed to have the NO OTHER media outlet would be carrying anything at all about it!

Butterymuffin Thu 25-Apr-19 15:08:29

given the hell his mother put them both through with her dalliances

Ahem. His father went down that road first.

Quintella Thu 25-Apr-19 15:08:44

It's like when an actor or footballer gets a superinjunction out over some extra marital shenanigans, the press goes into overdrive with trivial piss-taking articles about them.

BertrandRussell Thu 25-Apr-19 15:10:03

My mother was in Australia during the abdication crisis and used to send her sisters in England all the Australian papers because they had the gossip in them not printed in the U.K. It’s nothing new!

Pengrin Thu 25-Apr-19 15:10:18

bethy15 it’s so bizarre.

Certain posters are all over any thread about royals with the same old:

‘Why Do YoU CaRe?’
‘Leave them alone’
‘They’re just normal people, get a life’
‘You’re clearly a racist’

So odd.

SunshineCake Thu 25-Apr-19 15:10:23

FFS how may threads are there going to be about this rumour?

Would you like it the whole street was talking about the fact you shagged the postman ?

Absofuckinglutely Thu 25-Apr-19 15:11:20

@PlatypusPie it's pitiful that you sit at your keyboard and feel entitled to make sweeping comments about my character, given that you've never met me.
Please don't tell me what my intention was on starting this topic, you are entirely wrong.
My actual interest is in the freedom of the press. I couldn't give a flying shite about whether or not Will has been where he shouldn't have. I do however, find it telling that the press report on the merest sniff of any other rumour, but have ignored this entirely when it has been trending no 1 on Twitter for the past 24 hours.

roundturnandtwohalfhitches Thu 25-Apr-19 15:12:15

When I was at Uni one of the posh girls who lived in our halls told us Prince Charles had a bit on the side (Camilla) and they used to come and stay on her Dad's estate to go hunting. She said everyone in their circle knew. I told my mother and aunts- they were all -that could never happen, look how happy he and Di are, nothing in the newspapers. This reminds me of that. I'm more likely to believe that PW has been shagging his ex model neighbour that Meghan and Kate have fallen out 'cos they are you know, women.

mrscampbellblackagain Thu 25-Apr-19 15:12:37

I suspect Giles Coren has about as much idea as I do about William and Kate's marriage but he is a bitchy tweeter! I really hope he has been threatened with legal action as suspect he wouldn't have found it so amusing if someone had said that about his marriage in such a public way.

All the US publications seem to think that Giles is Best buddies with the royals which is quite hilarious.

ScrewyMcScrewup Thu 25-Apr-19 15:13:43

I agree. It's awful that the press don't publish more gossip.

Oh no, wait, it isn't.

mrscampbellblackagain Thu 25-Apr-19 15:14:13

I imagine the press aren't printing too much because they couldn't prove in court it is true and also they want to still get little inside stories from the palace. So not really a freedom of the press thing.

I would be intrigued to know who leaked the original story though - now that would be interesting.

Humpy84 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:14:42

No I find it extremely odd. Apparently a legal letter was sent to a British newspaper and tabloids and newspapers have different approaches to libel. Added to this, libel laws I’m UK different to US. In the UK if they claimed that the affair happened then they would have to prove they had evidence of the affair. This would be hard to do. They could arguably mention the rumours of the affairs or find a way around this. The royal family regularly do press deals. An example of this is when Harry made a bargain with the British press to not let ant know know about his overseas army tour in exchange for press interviews when he returned. Another arrangement is not publishing paparazzi photos of them going about their daily lives with kids. In exchange the royals do x or x. The royals give them access via engagement shoots, interviews and press calls and favour certain journalists so there is like this push and pull relationship. I imagine that deals are being made all over the place to publish certain stories and kill others.

I think the photos of WIlliam dancing in Verbier in 2017 and his hand on the waist of an attractive lady was telling. I would guess that at best he’s a flirt after a few drinks.

People say this shouldn’t be discussed and it’s tawdry to, however it’s in the press, are we all meant to put our fingers in our ears and sip our tea while adjusting our pearls .? Pretend the world isn’t so awful. If he’s the future king of an influential family then I want the truth about his character and treatment of women. Not the scandal or the gossip just the truth. The media should publish stories that are in the public interest. It’s the UK, not North Korea after all and the royal family cost money.

brizzlemint Thu 25-Apr-19 15:16:20

The legal departments will have been asked for advice.

Cel982 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:16:37

Surely there's no mystery about why the British press aren't reporting on this 'story' - they don't want to get sued. Alleging the future king is carrying on an extramarital affair without hard proof would be very foolish.

PCohle Thu 25-Apr-19 15:17:12

Surely it's just a combination of a possible injunction and the fact that they don't have enough evidence to back up the allegation so would be open to being sued for defamation. Possibly also media outlets not wanting to piss off the Royals lest they are denied access in the future.

I don't think it's a mad illuminati everyone-hates-Meghan conspiracy.

incogneto Thu 25-Apr-19 15:17:12

I read it on Twitter but have seen absolutely nothing about it in the news. Very weird. But I doubt it's true anyway

HBStowe Thu 25-Apr-19 15:17:26

I’m pretty sure it’s because the U.K. press are gagged - palace lawyers have sent letters warning UK publishers off from sharing the story.

That obviously doesn’t mean the rumours are true. But I think it’s why it’s not in the papers (except for abroad where it has been widely published).

Humpy84 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:18:57

Oh and this is going to sound absurd but I don’t think it is... I think there are palace public relations people on mumsnet. I’ve noticed a few comments on threads where a user pops up out of the blue and defends the royal family with all these facts and figures and it’s eloquently written. Could just be ardent royalists but i suspect a close eye is kept on social media and forums.

Humpy84 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:22:24

Ps: I wouldn’t shag WIlliam if I was Rose mind you. As a matter of fact I wouldn’t shag anyone. I’d be too busy walking the halls of my massive pile and lying around in a sparkly couture dress and tiara drinking gin. With a house and a wardrobe like that who would bother with anything else.

DeadWife Thu 25-Apr-19 15:24:23

Totally agree Humpy, also applies to many others in the public eye. Not absurd at all, just PR at work.

DeadWife Thu 25-Apr-19 15:26:33

The previous post, nowt about shagging Wills grin.

PCohle Thu 25-Apr-19 15:28:02

I’m pretty sure it’s because the U.K. press are gagged - palace lawyers have sent letters warning UK publishers off from sharing the story.

It's not "gagging" the press to inform that that the royal family will pursue a defamation case if false, damaging rumours about them are published.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you're free to publish insulting lies about people without consequence.

JaneEyre07 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:28:30

I've no doubt that the media was silenced, as they are on a lot of stories involving William.

Boysey45 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:29:19

I don't believe any woman would find him attractive at all. If he did which I doubt, it will have been his money she was after.

tanpestryfirescreen Thu 25-Apr-19 15:30:13

Having extra marital relationships is a key feature of the British monarchy. It is only right that he should uphold the tradition of all of his forebearers.

whyohwhyowhydididoit Thu 25-Apr-19 15:31:11

I go away with friends without DH quite often. If the paparazzi were interested they could take photos of me dancing with male friends in night clubs, sitting with my head close to another man in a bar (aka as ‘talking in a noisy environment’), hugging them or even kissing them goodnight. It would just be a peck on the cheek not a snog but it could be angled to look incriminating. Luckily I am Little Mrs Nobody so I am free to live my life without media intrusion or speculation on the internet.

tanpestryfirescreen Thu 25-Apr-19 15:33:01

Can we name 10 adult members of the royal family since 1901 who have not been linked an extra marital affair?

I can name 1- Prince Edward- any others?

Quintella Thu 25-Apr-19 15:34:17

Money, shmoney. The woman in question is married to a man richer than Prince William. The attraction will have been the fact that he's, y'know, Prince William.

Roussette Thu 25-Apr-19 15:34:38

William definitely seems the type to cheat. He never seemed into Kate as she was into him. He is like his father

[laugh]

If every child had the sins of their father bestowed on them as a matter of course, there'd be some pretty horrible people around.

What rubbish this all is.

But somewhere along the line it'll me Meghan's fault, mark my words

Humpy84 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:35:52

Hmmm but are they lies @Pcohle ? Why can’t the press write a story about the rumour, they’re not stating it’s fact. The media and internet is flooded with these rumours and the press are ignoring that and I feel like not discussing it is a bit North Korean.

The press didn’t start these rumours, it’s been dinner party conversation for quite some time at the tables of lords and ladies. The aristocracy have plenty of real scandals, they don’t need to make them up.

This thread is not accepting new messages.