Talk

Advanced search

Was I U not to clean?

(46 Posts)
mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:44:03

Recently just done a house swap, the lady complained to the HA that there was "dangerous mould" on the windowsills.
They've told her to clean it.

But now she is messaging me saying she's going to make sure I get hit with a cleaning bill as I could have cleaned it before I left.

I'm aware I should of, but I had about 38 hours to pack, 3 kids to take care of, nightshift to juggle, my nan passed away. I feel quite guilty as it is that I didn't clean absolutely everywhere but it just wasn't possible. The move didn't go smoothly either and I required another van for the rest of my stuff so time was spent doing that, I also had to run about dropping the kids off with various grandparents and the whole thing was just a nightmare!

Was I totally in the wrong?
So I don't drop feed, she didn't clean hers either

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 24-Apr-19 10:45:29

Ignore.

She's been told what to do.

NoSauce Wed 24-Apr-19 10:46:16

How clean was the whole house? Was it just the mould that you didn’t manage? It sounds like from what she’s said it wasn’t very clean at all.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Wed 24-Apr-19 10:47:11

Mould doesn't grow in a week, surely most people do general household cleaning at least weekly. Yes you should've cleaned off it was that much of a state you had mould growing. If it was just s car of not having hoovered or dusted this week that's fine but it seems like a bigger issue than that and black mould is hazardous to health.

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:47:18

Just the mould on the bedroom sill, maybe a wee bit on the kitchen one. Everywhere was hoovered and mopped

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 24-Apr-19 10:47:59

Did you have some kind of contract saying you had to clean?

IceRebel Wed 24-Apr-19 10:48:53

I feel quite guilty as it is that I didn't clean absolutely everywhere but it just wasn't possible.

I would have thought cleaning mold would have been a priority when cleaning, so i'm wondering what else was left uncleaned. confused

EL8888 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:48:54

If she didn’t clean her property then lm confused about why she’s moaning?

MRex Wed 24-Apr-19 10:49:43

What does the house swap contract say about cleaning? That will be the best way to see if you are liable or if you just shrug your shoulders. However well a house is cleaned, surely most people clean it when they move in.

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:49:56

I've never cleaned around the window blush
This was her bathroom counter

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:50:25

Nothing in any contracts

BigRedLondonBus Wed 24-Apr-19 10:50:44

For her to text you about the state of your house I imagine your not being as honest as you should be about the state you left it in. It must have been bad.

MrsMozartMkII Wed 24-Apr-19 10:52:20

Ignore.

Life gets very stressful at moving time and people need to understand and accept that.

romany4 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:55:01

Message her back with the picture of her bathroom and say you'll be sending her a bill for cleaning as well!
Cheeky cow

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:57:50

She hasn't text about the state of it. Her message literally says
"I phoned the HA about the dangerous mould, they've told me to clean it and they wont be coming to look at it.
Could you not have cleaned it before you left"

She's a very CF! She told somebody that she just needed their van and they wouldn't need to do any lifting (she expected my partner to do it all) and he done 3 van runs, packing her stuff, putting it into the van and unloading at the other end!!
Then he didn't plumb in her cooker so she messaged me "why didn't your partner do that? I have nobody to do it for me"

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:04:17

Oh and she has just messaged me again
"Why did you tell the gas company about the move that was my job it's my gas company" confused

MrsCasares Wed 24-Apr-19 11:04:21

Send the photo you’ve posted on here with a message - snap. Ignore her.

coffeeismybestie Wed 24-Apr-19 11:04:46

I had this happen to me, I went back to my home at 10pm to clean, because when I moved in it was disgusting and I didn't want the next people to move in to mess. The place I was going to hadn't been cleaned either.
If she's cf that's one thing but cleaning up after yourself is your responsibility. Especially as the window mould should of been wipes away before for at least your dc.

Bluestitch Wed 24-Apr-19 11:07:53

I'm currently going through a mutual exchange and part of the deal is you each accept the house in whatever condition it's been left in so any mess, rubbish left behind etc becomes your problem. I'd just block her now tbh, sounds like she's going to keep randomly messaging you about nonsense otherwise.

Bluestitch Wed 24-Apr-19 11:08:49

Xpost. Your partner did all her moving for her and she's still complaining? Definitely block!

MrsMozartMkII Wed 24-Apr-19 11:10:43

Sounds like she's either super stressed or just an arse. Whichever, given the help you've already provided, block her.

prawnsword Wed 24-Apr-19 11:10:54

Send her that pic of the bathroom you just posted. That is gross

bigKiteFlying Wed 24-Apr-19 11:12:38

Ideally a wipe down should of been done - but every house I've moved into has needed a clean - some more than others.

Telling the gas company you have moved is totally normal - you give last meter readings at same time - same the other end you get in touch and give meter readings when you move in. She needs to get in touch with them to set up her billing at her new address- so her text there makes no sense.

Expecting others to move your stuff - is odd though with a hosue swap I can see it was in your best interest to get her moved.

If you have a re-direct on with your post - and you should do - then you don't need to be in touch with this person - just block her.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Wed 24-Apr-19 11:14:19

Her bathroom looks disgusting and she got your partner to do her moving for her! Block her

Babuchak Wed 24-Apr-19 11:16:12

send photo of bathroom, then block her number and ignore her.

She does have a point about the mould, that should have been cleaned if only for you and your family!, but she is filthy and her comment about the gas company is nuts.

Springwalk Wed 24-Apr-19 11:18:06

This arrangement sounds like a nightmare. I hope she doesn't continue like this about every last thing in your house. I would also evidence and store photos of the house you are staying in op. Forward them to company with some kind of message that you are not complaining, however you would like to raise this with them now, should there be any further complaints about your house and cleanliness.

Not everyone is cut out for a house swap, and she doesn't sound very well suited or very happy. Do you have a contract in place?

I would prepare for more to come, I ask her to go through the HA if there are any future problems, as that is what they are there and paid for, and in a very breezy fashion wish her the best. Block.

This is her problem not yours.

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:19:16

I was supposed to do it and I'm not trying to excuse it but making sure other family members were ok about the death of my nan took priority, then I was working nightshift and then it was moving day.
It slipped my mind
I couldn't afford the re direct of mail sad but I've been living here a week and no mail so hoping it stays like that!!
The house she is in is electric only but still not sure why I wouldn't have told the gas people?? I needed to get an account set up to put money on the top up card!!

Omzlas Wed 24-Apr-19 11:20:30

Send her the picture you posted on here. Then block. She's an arse.

[Flowers] sorry about your Nan

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Wed 24-Apr-19 11:20:36

The swap is done now, there's no reason to still be in contact!

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Wed 24-Apr-19 11:22:18

She's annoyed because she wanted to use your account, so any debt goes on your name!

Stop engaging!

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:23:09

She has messaged about everything little thing so maybe it is time to block!
She messaged me the evening the swap had taken place to say could I go back round there and show her how everything works!!
She didn't exactly offer to show me how this house worked so I've just had to figure it out too! 🤦‍♀️

Drum2018 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:23:23

Block her number and forget about her. Don't engage with her again.

KaterinaPetrova Wed 24-Apr-19 11:24:02

So she never cleaned hers either? She expected your partner to move her whole house for her, expected you guys to have her cooker plumbed in AND doesn't know that an exiting tenant is supposed to notify their suppliers that they are no longer living there?

I was ready to say possibly that leaving mould was U of you but what's a bit of condensation window mould in comparison to the full bloody free move service she expected.

Send her a pic of the filthy house she left for you and tell her any cleaning service invoices will be ignored. If she carries on you could let her know the going rate for removal companies and your DP would be happy to provide her with an invoice for services rendered.

Lovemusic33 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:37:50

It’s a HA swap so there is no written contract about how clean it should be left? Your exchanging not handing it back to the landlord. She’s be a CF, just ignore her messages, nothing she can do.

EL8888 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:37:51

I would be tempted to block her, she is irritating me and l don't even have the stress of moving like you. Why would you not tell the gas company!? Your partner helped her out big time. Why would he sort the cooker? She's very ungrateful!

Jux Wed 24-Apr-19 11:43:45

So your partner was too busy doing stuff for her making your own move more difficult? Just tell her that, and any then just keep responding to her with "snap". Or block.

PregnantSea Wed 24-Apr-19 11:44:39

I would completely ignore all of these texts tbh. The HA will be in touch with you directly if there is anything that you need to pay for. Unless they get in touch just forget about it

CitadelsofScience Wed 24-Apr-19 11:45:48

What a cheeky madam she is. Given what you've managed to achieve under difficult circumstances I'd be inclined to just ignore her. Clearly she has no idea how much a removal company would've cost her and getting someone in to connect her cooker.

holly873 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:47:02

Tell her to jog on.

FredFlinstoneMadeOfBones Wed 24-Apr-19 11:47:27

Honestly yes in an ideal world it would have been done but it wasn't and you move on. I actually can't believe you managed a move in that short a time span let alone with all else you had going on. She sounds like a CF to be honest. She didn't clean hers at all and expected everyone else to run around after her. I'd block her.

mum2three0 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:48:02

Yeah he helped a lot, in the end the guy with the van told her that he wasn't going to bother loading up anymore of her stuff as she was only paying him £20, and he started at 10am, didn't leave until 4!!
The stuff that was left was eventually collected but has now been fly tipped around the area 🙈 we live minutes apart.
That isn't even the worst of it, the week before moving she asked my partner to varnish the skirtings as the HA wanted them done and she cba, her words to him!! But obviously we needed the move to go ahead so he did it

KaterinaPetrova Wed 24-Apr-19 11:54:29

Please find the money for a postal redirect. You really, REALLY don't want to have to deal with her anymore and with how entitled and cheeky she is, I would not rely on her not nosying through your mail.

CynthiaRothrock Wed 24-Apr-19 11:57:46

I would msg back with the picture of the bathroom and say "well by the time i have billed you for the mess i have had to get cleaned, and my partner moving you i think we ill break even, oh and i called the gas because i have to shut down the account in my name, as i can't afford to pay for your gas usage- it is standard practice when you leave. Property so you dont end up with someone elses debt"

EL8888 Wed 24-Apr-19 12:01:35

Wow about the skirting boards 😲. I think postal re-direct even for a short time would be advisable

CitadelsofScience Wed 24-Apr-19 12:03:20

Postal redirect can become expensive if you have adults with different surnames in the house as I found out to my cost when I moved. Daughter has a different surname and officially became an adult a week before moving 🙄

ratspeaker Wed 24-Apr-19 12:23:42

Everyone notifies utility companies when they move. Its only sensible.
I hope you took meter reading of your old place and new.
Your partner shouldn't plumb in cookers or anything for her unless on gassafe register or wire up anything. No your problem or responsibility.
If she's like this over cleaning, decorating imagine what she'd be like in case of leaks etc.
Seriously set up mail redirect then no contact.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »