Talk

Advanced search

What would you do? CF boyfriend?

(157 Posts)
owlettafeather Wed 24-Apr-19 10:17:43

For a couple of (complicated and outing) reasons, my cohabiting boyfriend has not paid anything towards our joint outgoings for about a year and a half.

Yesterday, at my bedtime, he realised he'd got a PPI payout of nearly £2k straight to his bank account. He'd applied and had been waiting for it, but it was much more than expected.

I was pleased and thought it would take some of the pressure off me having to pay for everything all the time. I'm on my break at work and have just read a text from him, saying he's bought a new QLED tv with the money.

My first reaction is anger. I feel like telling him to cancel the order and put the money in the joint account, so he can actually contribute usefully. Am I being too harsh? I know it's technically his money to use as he wishes, but it just seems so... selfish. What would you do?

MulticolourMophead Wed 24-Apr-19 16:09:20

If you bought the house together, I can see why you can't just throw him out.

But stop doing anything for him, tell him the relationship is over, and don't fund any of his stuff, phone, hobbies, whatever.

Look to getting him out long term, can you buy him out?

MH issues do not excuse being like a dick.

Twisique Wed 24-Apr-19 15:52:43

Keep the Tv...

CantStopMeNow Wed 24-Apr-19 15:51:25

We bought a house together 4 years ago, and then the depression hit about two years after...The little he does earn goes on his phone bill and hobby..
Too 'depressed' to work/contribute anything including housework but not too depressed to do his hobby....he saw you coming didn't he OP?

I think he's using MH as an excuse to sit on his arse pleasing himself and scrounging off you.

Wake up OP - you're being played and used.

BlueJag Wed 24-Apr-19 15:23:06

What a selfish prick. A TV??????? When there are bills to pay? Food to buy? I'll kill him. No regard for you.

BlueSkiesLies Wed 24-Apr-19 15:12:39

Why on earth do you have suck a low opinion of yourself that you think you deserve nothing better than this cock lodging useless selfish lump of flesh as your 'partner'.

Get rid. You'll be much happier. Honestly. Just do it now.

kittens876 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:55:29

This reminds me of my ex husband. He couldn’t work for 2 bloody years and I paid for everything. If he got money, he would keep it for himself. I Married him! Then he cheated on me. Had been all along. Ergh! Don’t do it! I was a complete Idiot! It only gets worse! Get Rid! Now happily divorced and have just had to go through the child maintenance service to figure out what he actually earns. I would Never pay for everything again. It messes up the power levels in a relationship. You have to be equals and you’re not xx

Lweji Wed 24-Apr-19 14:45:14

The little he does earn goes on his phone bill and hobby.

People who can't afford it shouldn't have hobbies.

You're actually paying for his hobby and his phone. Unless either are key to his mental health, he should be paying for his food and house bills first.

plantingandpotting Wed 24-Apr-19 14:16:05

I'm guessing his hobby is gaming, and the new TV is essentially all for his benefit...?

If that is the case, then spending his summer indoors playing in a pretend world will only deteriorate his mental health further.

It does sound like he's come to take your support for granted, and would probably benefit from having a pretty harsh reality check...

steppemum Wed 24-Apr-19 14:12:33

and in this case being ill is not an excuse for being not a nice person

steppemum Wed 24-Apr-19 14:11:36

text him.
Tell him ot return the TV and get a refund.
Then tell him he will need to money to fund himself as you expect him to move out by the end of the week.

If he wants to know why, simple, he thought a TV was more important than you, and if he can't see that, then it is confirmation that he is an idiot.

Be clear - I am not paying the rent so you can have a huge TV.

enough.

Belenus Wed 24-Apr-19 13:48:50

We've been together for a very long time- over a decade. He had a mortgage and was self-sufficient. We bought a house together 4 years ago, and then the depression hit about two years after.

Well that's very convenient for him, isn't it? Loses the ability to be self sufficient just as he finds someone who will take it all on for him. And I know that sounds dreadful and very cynical. However, I have depression myself but I don't have the luxury of living off a partner and buying large TVs. I have to get on with my life, because no-one is going to do things for me.

My dad also has depression and my mum supports him. He saps the life blood out of her. Do not go there. Depression is an utter bastard it's true. But you can be a lazy fucker and have depression, or a fighter and have depression. I'd help one of the fighters, always and ever. But the lazy fuckers? No.

Sorry OP. I realise he is ill but sometimes you have to save yourself. He needs shaking out of this but with you to catch him every time, I doubt he'll bother to do it.

Innernutshell Wed 24-Apr-19 13:45:48

It can be a cold wake up call when the real truth dawns and it often feels safer to burrow back into the status quo.

There isn't any need to anything right now OP other than just keep observing what is actually happening.

Is he a man who uses the depression label as a tool in his abuse or is he depressed but wants to get to a place where he can manage it and become an equal partner in your relationship or is he just taking you for a ride.

Whichever it is - you have time to work it out and then decide what you wish to do.

Please check out abusive behaviour via the womens aid website and the freedom programme. Today could be the first day of regaining your freedom and love.

Tinkobell Wed 24-Apr-19 13:31:53

Did he spend all the £2k on the telly? That is a crazy sum by anyone's standards to blow on consumer electronics which frankly depreciate instantly. My telly cost £200. Well clearly his plans for the near future involve sitting on his arse watching it, rather than getting off his arse, getting a job and paying you back!

babysharkah Wed 24-Apr-19 13:31:25

OP it's not luck, he's squandered it before and he'll do it again.

2k - yay - I can pay off some of my debts v 2k yay I'll buy a great big TV I dont need.

Get rid of him. Pronto.

Depression isn't an excuse, neither is bipolar but the excessive spending may indicate it.

Petitprince Wed 24-Apr-19 13:26:38

Get him to cancel the order ASAP as he will need the money as a deposit when he moves out. Don't wait until the TV arrives to sort this out.

Tinkobell Wed 24-Apr-19 13:26:19

Ask him if the TV's small enough to pack into the boot of his car with his bags. He has to go. Unless you can tell us that he's been seriously ill or something he's taking massive liberties.

Howyiz Wed 24-Apr-19 13:24:00

Have you told him that you expect the TV order to be cancelled and the money put towards his debts?

Bellasorellaa Wed 24-Apr-19 13:20:26

why women stay with losers like this i do not know

owlettafeather Wed 24-Apr-19 13:20:13

You're all making so much sense and I know, reading from the outside, I must seem like such a fool.

Someone said earlier about me being calm, and SaveKevin just talked about me thinking we're different. I don't think we are different... I think it's just luck of the draw that I have enough money coming in to stay afloat, and my calmness is really just being numb, like a bystander in my own life. No-one really knows how bad things are and I feel like I'm cracking up.

Cath2907 Wed 24-Apr-19 13:19:20

OMG you are my ex husbands new girlfriend!! He left his job (I originally thought he was made redundant) to start his own business 9 years ago. The business never materialised and he never went back to work - depression / anxiety and me enabling. He did less and less at home and became more and more "unwell". Finally after spending ALL of our money and my ending up doing every single jot of work in and out of the home (except school runs) I snapped and asked him to leave. 6 months later we are divorced and he has a job, a flat and is more than capable of doing his own laundry and making his own food. I now realise quite how much of a mug I have been. I provided for him to be able to sit back and do nothing. Doing nothing actually made his mental health worse.

LTB

Honeyroar Wed 24-Apr-19 13:18:33

I feel for you. You've every right to feel pissed off, I would. But it's not black and white. My friend is in a similar situation. Her partner is bi polar and you could be writing about him. She did come very close to ending it this year (moved out for a few months), but went back. The trouble is, it is an illness, and he may well have ended up on the street if thrown out. I think you have to absolutely insist he gets more help with his mental health and, even though he moans, make him do more around the house. He really needs to know his lifestyle is on the line if he doesn't. My sympathy to you, it's really hard.💐

Noobcrumble Wed 24-Apr-19 13:18:24

Completely agree with Armadillostoes He is making a mockery of what depression truly is - if he was really depressed he would not feel excited about getting a new expensive TV for a start.

Armadillostoes Wed 24-Apr-19 13:03:19

You need to get rid of him. Depression is not a carte blanche to be a manipulative sponger. Lots of heroic people live with the nightmare of depression and still do the best they can every day to provide for their family. He isn't trying. It is an insult to everyone in the world with mental health issues to imply this man child needs a free pass.

KickAssAngel Wed 24-Apr-19 13:02:40

You need a proper discussion about finances. Who has paid what into the house? How much is his share and how was the home ownership set up?

You can't just kick him out if he owns half the home. So you could end up in a situation where you're officially separate, but he is still living in the same house. If he can't/won't discuss money with you and a fair split of money and chores, then you need to rethink the situation. If you really love each other and want to stay together, you could live in separate homes and go back to dating, until he's able to be more present in the relationship.

TowelNumber42 Wed 24-Apr-19 12:58:59

Your post suggests that at the slightest challenge to him he gets emotional, you feel massively guilty and back down rapidly.

I wonder when was the last time you got angry with him, told him so, demanded a change and didn't back down.

I fear the normal reaction feels so alien to you that you are currently tying yourself up in knots imagining how you could phrase the conversation about this. Feel trapped and a bit sick perhaps?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »