Talk

Advanced search

To say this is Tombola CF

(64 Posts)
FreshAprilStart Wed 24-Apr-19 07:37:56

Putting this up to see if it is CF and I'm right to be pissed off.

Our local nursery does a yearly open day. Partly to let parents mix together, encourage new parents to join, and also to raise funds for additional activities and work. All very jolly and nice. My kids are not nursery age anymore but I still go along with old nursery friends from back in the day to give support, buy a few cupcakes and so on.

So, the open day was at the weekend. Lovely weather and big turn out. Lots of Easter themes and fundraising stuff. All very successful.

One of the events was a Tombola. Usual prizes of wine, chocolate, bit of tat etc. However, one of the prizes was spectacular. A day out with tickets for two to a top of the league derby game with tour of stadium and meal and free drinks. Wow. So knowing DH would like this, and all for charity, I bought a few tickets, but no luck. Friends did similar. Later on we went back and the prize was still there. So, had another few shots and bought some more. Others were doing the same. All the tat was going but the prize remained.

Eventually we drifted off and left and I didn't think anymore of it.

Was chatting in a group chat about other things yesterday and someone mentioned the generous prize. People asked who had won it, anyone we know. Then a better connected parent let us know 'in confidence' that there was no prize and no winning ticket, it was just a way to get people to the stall and buying tickets!

I'm just feeling that's not on. Very sneaky. Or is it very clever as they must've made loads. I spent at least £15. Others more.

CharityConundrum Wed 24-Apr-19 22:03:14

I'm amazed that nobody rocked up at the end of the day and said 'Ok, I'll buy all the remaining tickets and take everything that's left' which is what normally seems to happen if there's anything halfway decent at the end of a tombola.

NewSchoolNewName Wed 24-Apr-19 17:40:53

If this is true, it’s illegal and fraudulent as pp say.

I think I’d have a quiet word with the nursery management and say something along the lines of there’s a rumour going around that big prize was fake and didn’t exist, and suggest they check this out as surely they know it’s illegal (and bad publicity for the nursery) to have prizes that don’t exist.

youknowmedontyou Wed 24-Apr-19 17:28:41

Bloody poor show!

Thistownaintbigenough Wed 24-Apr-19 17:24:27

It's like bottle tombolas where you end up with bottles of water because they only drop in a winning ticket for a decent prize every so often. Seen a few of those around!

FreshAprilStart Wed 24-Apr-19 17:16:01

You so are H after that slip up.

It's a lifetimes work.

cakecakecheese Wed 24-Apr-19 13:47:12

Oops definitely perhaps I'm H grin

cakecakecheese Wed 24-Apr-19 13:46:34

Haha yes Ted Hastings would definately definately sort this out, after a bit of casual sexism.

MissEliza Wed 24-Apr-19 12:44:38

I wouldn't let that drop Op. That's disgusting

friendlycat Wed 24-Apr-19 10:25:43

Actually this is completely against the law. This type of raffle is known as an incidental non commercial lottery and by law you can legally run this for a raffle raising funds for the situation you describe. However, by law all ticket sales must be on the day and all DRAW activity must be held publically on the day itself as well. Therefore, legally you would then know the winners of that top prize. The Gambling Commission has clear rules on this. Even various PTA websites list what is required legally. If it was me I would have a quiet word with somebody so that this does not ever happen again, as if anybody was to complain at the very least all monies would need to be returned to people who had purchased tickets but more seriously somebody could easily contact the Gambling Commission to investigate. I'm sure it was somebody being "rather enthusiastic" in their fundraising but they were breaking the law and understandably you are talking about it as others may be doing so. Even taking away the legalities which are there for a purpose, asking people to pay for a prize that simply does not exist is very morally wrong and frankly raises other questions about the integrity of the Nursery itself.

ReanimatedSGB Wed 24-Apr-19 10:20:38

First, check that your information is true. Second, have a quiet word with the nursery before taking any further action. Yes, they are legally responsible even if the person who actually had this bright idea was some random parent volunteer, but do you want to trash their business publicly over it?
It was a silly, dishonest thing to do but far worse scams (oh, like all religions, the entire slimming industry and most 'alternative' health remedies) are perpetrated on a regular basis, so don't get yourself all revved up by the self-righteous pricks on here. Whoever did it probably had reasonably good intentions and thought it was harmless enough as, after all, only one person could have won the prize so there would still have been loads of disappointed people.

Omzlas Wed 24-Apr-19 10:07:26

Call the nursery and ask who won

Cheeky bastards

FairNotFair Wed 24-Apr-19 10:03:55

Kate - I don't think it's necessarily in the Derby area - I think the OP is using "derby" to imply a local rivalry. Could be wrong though!

Itssosunny Wed 24-Apr-19 10:02:19

I don't buy raffle tickets. The prizes mostly go to the parents who had organised the event, their children and friends.

LuckyLou7 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:55:13

Absolutely fraud, it's not cheeky fuckery, it's far worse than that. I would report this.

FreshAprilStart Wed 24-Apr-19 09:52:54

Yes, definately getting Ted onto this, fella.

KC225 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:47:39

That is so bad, I would be furious. I thought you were going to say they kept the winning ticket out of the bucket until the end. I was not expecting no prize at all.

MzHz Wed 24-Apr-19 09:45:20

Get Ted Hastings onto them, mother of god.

gringringrin That made me spit my virtual tea out

kateandme Wed 24-Apr-19 09:42:35

out them.are you in the derby area then.i sure many on here in the area would help shame this nursery for this appalling behavior!
im very close to someoene who works for derby fc and he would be fucking livid.

IncrediblySadToo Wed 24-Apr-19 09:39:36

That really doesn't make it OK though

🙄 No and that would be why I said OK, this has to have broken a law, a rule, a something, somewhere. It’s wrong, really wrong

LizzieMacQueen Wed 24-Apr-19 09:37:54

Get Ted Hastings onto them, mother of god.

Figgygal Wed 24-Apr-19 09:33:13

Really poor form from them
I'd not support them again

Margot33 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:29:57

Thsts actually fraud. Send in an e-mail and encourage others to. Don't go next year.

FreshAprilStart Wed 24-Apr-19 09:29:54

Thanks for the comments. They're a lovely nursery and someone has been a bit stupid. Think it's a parent volunteer who did the Tombola.

Also going to double check the facts as it would be awful to say something and it be wrong. confused

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 24-Apr-19 09:29:23

During my daughters last year of school, they had a summer fate. There was a raffle with a few good prizes. All the prizes went to the organisers.

PregnantSea Wed 24-Apr-19 09:27:32

This has spilled over from CF into illegal. Definitely stick something about that on social media! Do some digging first - don't just go off what a friend has said, make sure you have some proof.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »