Talk

Advanced search

To say this is Tombola CF

(64 Posts)
FreshAprilStart Wed 24-Apr-19 07:37:56

Putting this up to see if it is CF and I'm right to be pissed off.

Our local nursery does a yearly open day. Partly to let parents mix together, encourage new parents to join, and also to raise funds for additional activities and work. All very jolly and nice. My kids are not nursery age anymore but I still go along with old nursery friends from back in the day to give support, buy a few cupcakes and so on.

So, the open day was at the weekend. Lovely weather and big turn out. Lots of Easter themes and fundraising stuff. All very successful.

One of the events was a Tombola. Usual prizes of wine, chocolate, bit of tat etc. However, one of the prizes was spectacular. A day out with tickets for two to a top of the league derby game with tour of stadium and meal and free drinks. Wow. So knowing DH would like this, and all for charity, I bought a few tickets, but no luck. Friends did similar. Later on we went back and the prize was still there. So, had another few shots and bought some more. Others were doing the same. All the tat was going but the prize remained.

Eventually we drifted off and left and I didn't think anymore of it.

Was chatting in a group chat about other things yesterday and someone mentioned the generous prize. People asked who had won it, anyone we know. Then a better connected parent let us know 'in confidence' that there was no prize and no winning ticket, it was just a way to get people to the stall and buying tickets!

I'm just feeling that's not on. Very sneaky. Or is it very clever as they must've made loads. I spent at least £15. Others more.

IncrediblySadToo Wed 24-Apr-19 08:38:21

OK, this has to have broken a law, a rule, a something, somewhere. It’s wrong, really wrong.

However, it was done by some numpty at the local nursery, with good intentions, for a good cause. Not by a money grabbing commercial enterprise.

Do you know the manager? If so, and you think they’re decent, just give them a call and see what they have to say. If it’s a long the lines of ‘What?😳. OMG I’ll look into it’ then, job done. If it’s ‘Meh ‍🤷🏻‍♀️ s night not a big deal’ then take it further.

XXcstatic Wed 24-Apr-19 08:40:41

Agree with illberiding - contact the football club. I also agree with PPs saying that this raises serious concerns about the judgement of all those involved: not just in terms of honesty, but also in terms of their common sense - anyone with half a brain would anticipate that this would get out and that they will never be able to raise money in the future.

Worth remembering, though, that - at this stage - you don't know for sure that the big prize wasn't awarded, so definitely check with the football club first.

TheOxymoron Wed 24-Apr-19 08:43:27

This is tricky as it is clearly wrong.
These type of things happen all the time and people don’t realise that it’s breaking gambling laws and alcohol laws just by holding the event itself.

IceRebel Wed 24-Apr-19 08:43:29

However, it was done by some numpty at the local nursery, with good intentions, for a good cause. Not by a money grabbing commercial enterprise.

The local nursery could be part of a chain, so funds raised may well be going to a money grabbing commercial enterprise.

Skittlesandbeer Wed 24-Apr-19 08:47:49

I think that as a ‘past parent’ you are in the perfect position to call them out on this. But I’d do it carefully. If your original intention was to support the fundraising, and you believe the service they provide is a worthy one, then don’t get them fined out of existence by the relevent authorities either.

Make a ‘surgical’ stink, not a formal one. And be careful the gossip you heard about it being fake was 100% true. Sounds incredible to me!

I went to a (small) charity auction recently where I quickly recognised the ‘unique oil painting by famous artist’ was actually a print. One of 1000. The back of the frame had been ‘artfully’ hidden, but it didn’t stop me checking. The organiser begged me (practically in tears) not to ‘out’ her. It was a silent auction, so I quietly mentioned it to anyone entering a bid. Not as a drama, or to show off my credentials, just enough to salve my conscience! Luckily for the charity, everyone was drunk enough (and wealthy enough) not to mind too much. But afterwards I made sure the committee members were aware of how ‘newsworthy’ these stunts can be, and how expensive (in fines and reputation).

Even though I’ve seen this happen in front of me, I still can’t quite believe this kind of Cheeky Fuckery actually happens. I’d be sick with worry of repercussions, even if I didn’t have an ethical reason for not doing it. When it’s done on purpose, it’s just gob-smacking!

DonkeyHohtay Wed 24-Apr-19 08:50:37

However, it was done by some numpty at the local nursery, with good intentions, for a good cause.

That really doesn't make it OK though. The scenario mentioned previously about selling tickets in advance and giving an extra one is a concept which you could be forgiven for not knowing about.

Even a numpty would know that it's not right to advertise a prize which doesn't exist.

zingally Wed 24-Apr-19 08:51:28

Yup, that's false advertising at best, fraud at worst.

I'd ask directly, who won the top prize, and if they can't give that info, I'd be dropping a line to the local paper. They'd love a story like that!

DarklyDreamingDexter Wed 24-Apr-19 08:53:18

It's not CF, it's fraud. Even tombolas and raffles at schools and village fetes are ruled by law. I believe the Gambling Commision regulates what companies and individuals can do when running a tombola. Report the nursery to them. www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk

Waveysnail Wed 24-Apr-19 08:53:33

I'm arsey. I'd be going in to ask who won the big prize

Sexnotgender Wed 24-Apr-19 08:58:27

I’d be very very sure of your facts before doing anything.

If they have done this it’s appalling.

EdWinchester Wed 24-Apr-19 09:04:39

If true, that is really shocking!

JaneEyre07 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:18:23

I'd have to email the Manager, and say how appalled you are at the nature of this.

I don't think I'd report it, but I'd let them know how disappointing it is and that you won't be financially supporting them anymore in future.

NataliaOsipova Wed 24-Apr-19 09:21:41

If I was a parent with a child at that nursery I'd be concerned what else whoever came up with that scheme gets up to..

This was my thought- these are people you’re trusting to maintain the highest possible standards when it comes to the care of small children...?

astrologicalzoo Wed 24-Apr-19 09:25:05

It’s obtaining money by deceit.

Horrible thing to do.

Ask them for details of who won or you’ll be going to the local newspaper

PregnantSea Wed 24-Apr-19 09:27:32

This has spilled over from CF into illegal. Definitely stick something about that on social media! Do some digging first - don't just go off what a friend has said, make sure you have some proof.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 24-Apr-19 09:29:23

During my daughters last year of school, they had a summer fate. There was a raffle with a few good prizes. All the prizes went to the organisers.

FreshAprilStart Wed 24-Apr-19 09:29:54

Thanks for the comments. They're a lovely nursery and someone has been a bit stupid. Think it's a parent volunteer who did the Tombola.

Also going to double check the facts as it would be awful to say something and it be wrong. confused

Margot33 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:29:57

Thsts actually fraud. Send in an e-mail and encourage others to. Don't go next year.

Figgygal Wed 24-Apr-19 09:33:13

Really poor form from them
I'd not support them again

LizzieMacQueen Wed 24-Apr-19 09:37:54

Get Ted Hastings onto them, mother of god.

IncrediblySadToo Wed 24-Apr-19 09:39:36

That really doesn't make it OK though

🙄 No and that would be why I said OK, this has to have broken a law, a rule, a something, somewhere. It’s wrong, really wrong

kateandme Wed 24-Apr-19 09:42:35

out them.are you in the derby area then.i sure many on here in the area would help shame this nursery for this appalling behavior!
im very close to someoene who works for derby fc and he would be fucking livid.

MzHz Wed 24-Apr-19 09:45:20

Get Ted Hastings onto them, mother of god.

gringringrin That made me spit my virtual tea out

KC225 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:47:39

That is so bad, I would be furious. I thought you were going to say they kept the winning ticket out of the bucket until the end. I was not expecting no prize at all.

FreshAprilStart Wed 24-Apr-19 09:52:54

Yes, definately getting Ted onto this, fella.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »