Talk

Advanced search

Cake-gate

(530 Posts)
8Wina4 Tue 23-Apr-19 23:59:43

I work in an office environment, in a team of around 20. Before the Easter weekend, I was chatting in the staff room on a break about how I've recently really got into baking, and one of my colleagues jokingly said that she wouldn't mind if I bought some cake to work for her to try. I promised I'd bring some home made cakes in after Easter.

Fast forward to today. I take in four different homemade cakes. I also took in some little vegan cake bites from Tesco, as we have 2 vegans in the office and I wanted them to be able to eat something nice too (everything I baked had flour/eggs in)

One of the vegans approached me at lunch, and told me that she was really disappointed that I hadn't made the effort to home bake anything vegan, and that I had promised homemade cakes, so I should have provided that for everyone. She said she didn't like the vegan cakes I'd bought from Tesco, and that she was fed up with being left out of team lunches/treats.

I was a bit taken aback, so apologised. But the more I think about it, the more I think she was actually the unreasonable one...

Thoughts?

GreatestShowUnicorn Sat 27-Apr-19 14:26:13

I'd never bring anything for the rude twat ever again but if you ever need to make a vegan cake try little miss cupcakes naughtiest vegan cakes in town. I've never made anything bad out of it and the ebook is only 99p.

Lweji Sat 27-Apr-19 13:44:51

So you would expect a vegan to provide non vegan cakes if she was baking cakes for work?

No.
As it's clear from mine and the other pp's posts, we would expect THIS CFV to also provide the same non vegan cakes.

Lweji Sat 27-Apr-19 13:43:09

Do we know the CFV's age?

Veterinari Sat 27-Apr-19 13:04:34

She is entitled. As are most millennials.

Ooh! Vegan and millennial!
This thread is like superiority bingo! Now just tell us she has a hyphenated name...

BertrandRussell Sat 27-Apr-19 10:58:28

“Yes, I get that it was poorly phrased, Bertrand, but I think it was mostly about this particular vegan going through the trouble of baking and catering for different options, as she expected from the OP.”
So you would expect a vegan to provide non vegan cakes if she was baking cakes for work?

kikisparks Sat 27-Apr-19 10:50:13

Also I’d be very appreciative of the small vegan cake bites you bought! That was considerate.

Oblomov19 Sat 27-Apr-19 09:16:34

She is entitled. As are most millennials.

kikisparks Sat 27-Apr-19 09:14:32

I’m vegan for animal rights and probably what some would consider a bit strong in my beliefs and I think YANBU. I never expect anyone to cater for me unless they invite me somewhere like their house or a wedding and even then I have low expectations and wouldn’t expect them to buy or bake me a cake or anything (although I’m thrilled if they do!). Your colleague was very rude.

Lweji Sat 27-Apr-19 09:08:57

Yes, I get that it was poorly phrased, Bertrand, but I think it was mostly about this particular vegan going through the trouble of baking and catering for different options, as she expected from the OP.

woollyheart Sat 27-Apr-19 09:00:52

When you bake a treat for your team, it is optional. It is perfectly acceptable to bake your favourite recipes.

When someone brings in a treat that they have baked, you don't have to eat it! It is optional! If you are allergic, don't eat it. If your religion bans the ingredients, don't eat it. If the ingredients make you ill, don't eat it. If you have chosen to restrict your diet and you don't want to eat it, don't eat it. If you are fat, and you would prefer not to eat it, don't eat it. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

If they MAKE you eat it, then you should complain.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sat 27-Apr-19 09:00:17

But she's not planning on rewarding her -other people appear to be offering up suggestions so she can (or it may just be they're offering suggestions ...).

The second one.

BertrandRussell Sat 27-Apr-19 09:00:14

Nobody is denying that Rude Lady is rude and does not deserve cakes- bought or home made.

I was being exasperated by the commonly expressed but totally bonkers belief that vegans ought to accommodate other special diets. Including the special diet that involves being able to eat anything except Vegan food. it needs a name- the Clarkson Diet perhaps? The Hopkins Diet?

Lweji Sat 27-Apr-19 08:17:17

I think you missed the point of that post, Bertrand. grin
Would the vegan complainer be prepared to bake 5 cakes for the team? Even two cakes?
It was asking if they'd want to go through all the trouble they wanted the OP to have had.

Plus, just because most people can eat a vegan cake, it doesn't mean they'll want to or like it.

BertrandRussell Sat 27-Apr-19 07:28:00

“And of course she'll be baking "normal" cakes with eggs and butter alongside her vegan offerings since she is so keen to have every diet catered for!”
What- that special diet where you can eat everything including vegan food? hmm

RosamundDarnley Sat 27-Apr-19 07:26:12

I cooked the vegan lemon cake mentioned up thread, and it is light, fluffy and very lemony. www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/4614791/recipe/vegan-lemon-cake

We're not vegan btw smile

ivykaty44 Sat 27-Apr-19 06:34:53

PNC I disagree with you after my experience, the brownie was seriously better than any other I’d had

icclemunchy Sat 27-Apr-19 01:37:14

Presumably she will be baking for the office next? And of course she'll be baking "normal" cakes with eggs and butter alongside her vegan offerings since she is so keen to have every diet catered for!

PersonaNonGarter Sat 27-Apr-19 01:17:58

Vegan cake is never as good as real cake.

Actual home baked brownie or vegan brownie? No contest.

hellenbackagen Sat 27-Apr-19 01:06:49

I'd suggest that since she's the vegan and you sent she bake for the vegan workforce and you'll bake for the others.
Cf!

Ayemama Sat 27-Apr-19 01:04:07

If you want to be very passive aggressive, do make a vegan cake (I’ve made a chocolate one before it turned out really fine) then make it for a day that you know the cheeky fucker won’t be at work.
Obviously don’t be too obvious about this and just say oh what a shame you missed it.

mmgirish Sat 27-Apr-19 00:50:07

Yes she was called unreasonable - rtft to see

Lweji Fri 26-Apr-19 21:37:10

Except they don’t
They come from the oviduct via the cloaca. <pedant>

That's what the pp was referring to (explained in a previous post).

Hanumantelpiece Fri 26-Apr-19 21:34:41

I was posting the recipe to show that it wasn't a massive challenge to make a vegan cake. I wasn't suggesting that OP made it for her colleague. As I said, the colleague was rude and ungrateful. Cake was provided, and colleague chose to be an arse about it.

CletusVanDamme Fri 26-Apr-19 20:04:52

hmm

ThunderStorms Fri 26-Apr-19 19:15:08

Did you miss the bit where the OP mentions she has TWO vegan colleagues - one of whom was super-grateful to be included? Maybe she might want to bake for her? Or for other vegan friends? Maybe, as she enjoys baking, she might enjoy the challenge? Why leap to the conclusion that she’s planning on ‘rewarding’ the ungrateful woman?

But she's not planning on rewarding her -other people appear to be offering up suggestions so she can (or it may just be they're offering suggestions ...).

The other vegan colleague was happy with the shop bought cake 🤷🏾‍♂️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »