Talk

Advanced search

Cake-gate

(530 Posts)
8Wina4 Tue 23-Apr-19 23:59:43

I work in an office environment, in a team of around 20. Before the Easter weekend, I was chatting in the staff room on a break about how I've recently really got into baking, and one of my colleagues jokingly said that she wouldn't mind if I bought some cake to work for her to try. I promised I'd bring some home made cakes in after Easter.

Fast forward to today. I take in four different homemade cakes. I also took in some little vegan cake bites from Tesco, as we have 2 vegans in the office and I wanted them to be able to eat something nice too (everything I baked had flour/eggs in)

One of the vegans approached me at lunch, and told me that she was really disappointed that I hadn't made the effort to home bake anything vegan, and that I had promised homemade cakes, so I should have provided that for everyone. She said she didn't like the vegan cakes I'd bought from Tesco, and that she was fed up with being left out of team lunches/treats.

I was a bit taken aback, so apologised. But the more I think about it, the more I think she was actually the unreasonable one...

Thoughts?

StillCoughingandLaughing Fri 26-Apr-19 19:06:24

*Can't believe the number of people posting vegan recipes.
Who the f**k would be inclined to make a cake for anyone so obnoxiously rude.
I never rewarded rude behaviour in my children why do it with an adult confused*

Did you miss the bit where the OP mentions she has TWO vegan colleagues - one of whom was super-grateful to be included? Maybe she might want to bake for her? Or for other vegan friends? Maybe, as she enjoys baking, she might enjoy the challenge? Why leap to the conclusion that she’s planning on ‘rewarding’ the ungrateful woman?

Veterinari Fri 26-Apr-19 19:01:07

This has been fun, and now I know that eggs do come from chickens arses.

Except they don’t
They come from the oviduct via the cloaca. <pedant>

kalopali Fri 26-Apr-19 16:26:06

YANBU. The fussy twat can fuck off to the far side of fuck.

RidingMyBike Fri 26-Apr-19 15:58:07

This happened to me once. I actually did look up vegan cake recipes, went for a special shopping trip and bought the ingredients (of which there seemed to be several more than in a non-vegan cake), then wished I’d just bought a vegan cake in the free-from aisle as it was a lot of hassle to make the cake and I ended up with ingredients left over that I wouldn’t have used in anything else!

CletusVanDamme Fri 26-Apr-19 15:25:32

Well seeing as we are splitting hairs I believe the post said "it does seem a little unkind"

BertrandRussell Fri 26-Apr-19 15:16:49

I think I said it would have been kind to make one cake out of 4 that vegans could eat. Different from calling her unkind or saying that she should bake for Rude Woman.

I still think that. Which is why I posted my intial recipe, so that anyone in a similar position who felt like it could have a go.

CletusVanDamme Fri 26-Apr-19 15:05:53

She was called unkind, although granted that was before the thread 'moved on'

BertrandRussell Fri 26-Apr-19 15:00:46

“Then, people come on and say she is unreasonable! Madness, absolute madness.”
Has anyone said she was unreasonable?

BertrandRussell Fri 26-Apr-19 14:59:50

Nobody is suggesting the OP should bake Rude Woman a cake. Rather the opposite. Some of us are simply pointing out that should anyone wish to bake a vegan cake, it’s not the enormous expensive challenge fraught with abstruse ingredients some people seem to think. The thread has moved on.

CletusVanDamme Fri 26-Apr-19 14:32:56

Can't believe the number of people posting vegan recipes.
Who the f**k would be inclined to make a cake for anyone so obnoxiously rude.
I never rewarded rude behaviour in my children why do it with an adult confused

mmgirish Fri 26-Apr-19 14:10:18

This is a crazy thread. OP bakes some nice cakes and helpfully buys vegan treats for the vegans. Then, people come on and say she is unreasonable! Madness, absolute madness.

Mia184 Fri 26-Apr-19 13:08:53

Here is a recipe for millionaire shortbread bars that contains ingredients for both vegan and non-vegan versions naturalnoshing.com/2012/05/28/millionaire-shortbread-src/

Both versions are great!

timeisnotaline Fri 26-Apr-19 12:57:46

This has been fun, and now I know that eggs do come from chickens arses. Bonus lots of vegan cake recipes to save!

PCohle Fri 26-Apr-19 11:54:55

She sounds like an entitled CF. Why on earth should you go out of your way for someone so rude.

RoastOx Fri 26-Apr-19 11:35:43

I'd go so far out of my way to make an absolutely AMAZING vegan cake. Take it in with no fanfare, present to the team as a homebake. Accept due praise from colleagues. When (after hovering on the sidelines feeling all righteous but indignant) c.f. moans about not being inclusive I'd take great pleasure in saying 'oh it was vegan, didn't I mention that?' just as I finished the last crumb

AMAZING! OP please do this

RoastOx Fri 26-Apr-19 11:34:31

She needs to remember that being vegan is a fucking lifestyle choice. How bloody rude!!!

ralfeesmum Fri 26-Apr-19 11:19:34

Ah, but she achieved her objective ie: she (unjustifiably) made you feel guilty whilst she grabbed the moral high ground AND made herself the centre of attention.

Also, she said you had "promised" and that she was "fed up with being left out" which makes her sound like tantrum-throwing 3 year old.....so who the hell gave her a job working with grown-ups?

Wot a tw*t she sounds!

woollyheart Fri 26-Apr-19 11:07:00

Lovely! But don't you get people asking if it is gluten-free?

I've given up baking for larger groups and just take fruit or chocolate.

Hanumantelpiece Fri 26-Apr-19 10:59:40

It's easier to change the recipe a bit rather than make substitutes for butter/eggs when making vegan cakes.
This is my go-to basic recipe.

200g S-R flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarb of soda
100g sugar (you can go up to 200g if you like sweeter cakes)
80ml vegetable oil
200 ml soya milk/oat milk/nut milk (whatever is most suitable)
20ml cider vinegar (or lemon juice, or orange juice or anything acidic)

Mix the milk and vinegar together and let it stand around 10 min.
Heat the oven to Gas 4 or equivalent, prepare cake tin/cases etc
Sieve the flour and powders into a mixing bowl
Mix in the sugar
Pour in the milk mixture and add the oil, then mix it all together well with a metal spoon. It doesn't matter if there are a few lumps, but you don't want pockets of dry stuff.
Tip into cake tin. Tap tin on work surface to release bubbles.
Bake.
Eat.

You can add all manner of flavours and things to this - chopped walnuts, coffee (if doing this you can use the coffee in the milk in the first place), lemon, orange, rhubarb, currants, chocolate...

I've made loads to this receipe and nobody has ever known (unless I've told them) that they don't contain butter or eggs.

frazzledasarock Fri 26-Apr-19 10:47:37

Lidl one says suitable for vegetarian in the allergy info. Ingredients are just contains milk.

I’m going to check other labels now.

BertrandRussell Fri 26-Apr-19 10:45:35

Presumably the ones that don’t have “suitable for vegetarians” on them? I’ve just checked the coop own brand in my fridge and it doesn’t.
I think some also use some sort of alcohol in the manufacturing process-which wouldn’t be an issue for vegetarians but would mean it wasn’t halal.

frazzledasarock Fri 26-Apr-19 10:43:37

Not trying to be rude here I’m genuinely asking, as I always presumed butter was made from milk & only check for the vegetarian label as a matter of habit.

alligatorsmile Fri 26-Apr-19 10:43:11

Some people are just arseholes. And some arseholes are vegan. Doesn't mean that all vegans are arseholes.

frazzledasarock Fri 26-Apr-19 10:42:19

The butters I buy always have ‘suitable for vegetarians’ in the packs.

Which ones have trace animal product on them? I imagine a lot of vegetarians will be upset that veg labelling is incorrect.

BertrandRussell Fri 26-Apr-19 10:40:24

Sorry- not all butter is halal. It’s to do with the processing. It’s amazing how many things have traces of pork related products, for example.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »