Talk

Advanced search

Baby on plane

(138 Posts)
Jobea91 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:08:08

My parents recently paid for a surprise holiday to France for September. My DS will be 18months. My parent originally said a holiday somewhere in England so they could confirm dates but the surprise is it’s an all inclusive in Spain for me DH DS and all my siblings. I’m really excited.
DH today said he’s read things about air pressure changes being painful to babies and that it worried him so much he doesn’t want DS to go, he said he’d stay home with him for a week (which would be hell for him doing 24/7 with her alone) so I can still go, but my family and me are all really excited for DS to go, first time swimming, going to the beach, flying, different country etc.
My parents have already paid and we got him a passport especially.
DH said from what he’s read he thinks it’d be abusive to take him until hes 5 and can understand what’s happening air pressure wise etc.
Me and my sisters flew loads as babies and toddlers and I’ve always loved flying. DH is okay with it but doesn’t have same excitement as me.

I said I can’t/won’t take her if he doesn’t want me to but I disagree it’s so painful we should cancel and make my parents pay all cancellation fees etc.
I said I’ll look at other ways to get there.

AIBU for feeling annoyed he’s decided this? He said we agreed to a England holiday not Spain (he hates surprises). It’s difficult if it’s something he genuinely thinks is abusive.

Whatisthisfuckery Tue 23-Apr-19 17:22:35

I’m with PP here, sounds like there’s other motives at play. I bet he doesn’t want to stay at home alone with all the childcare for a whole week really, he just wants an excuse to get out of going and this way he can guilt you into not going either. Take the baby, leave him at home if he doesn’t want to come.

Lllot5 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:23:39

Sounds like he just doesn’t want to go. Lots of children fly before they’re five.

LL83 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:26:33

Ask him to show you what he has read. It sounds like he is trying to get out of it.

edwinbear Tue 23-Apr-19 17:26:49

DS flew to the Maldives when he was 18m old, no problems at all. Your DH is being a bit pfb grin

CostanzaG Tue 23-Apr-19 17:26:58

He's being ridiculous.
Does he really think the thousands of people who take their kids on holiday are being abusive???

Bythebeach Tue 23-Apr-19 17:27:48

Eh! What’s he on about? Never heard of this and taken all 3 of mine away during baby and toddlerhoods numerous short and long haul flights with no distress or issue. Does he mean ear pressure pain on take off and landing?

PinkiOcelot Tue 23-Apr-19 17:27:48

Your husband is batshit! Where has he been reading this?! Has he shown you?!
My 2 have been flying on holiday since they were 9 months and tbh dd has more trouble with her ears from about 4 years upwards than when she was younger.

Topseyt Tue 23-Apr-19 17:29:03

Your DH is being ridiculous, and I would be telling him so.

My children flew as babies. No problems at all. Why does he think that airlines even provide special seatbelt extensions for parents with babies. On long haul flights many even provide cots. I saw that years ago on a British Airways flight from Heathrow to Los Angeles, and again a few days after that on a Quantas flight from LA to Sydney Australia.

What quackery has he been reading? Just because some arsehole writes some twattery on the internet doesn't necessarily mean it is actually true.

Unless your baby has some serious medical condition then he is as safe to fly as the rest of us.

Like fuck would I agree to fart about trying to find a different (much, much longer) way to get there. My response would be that the child would be coming on the flight with us. If DH wanted to stay at home then he could - on his own.

I might also say that DH should pay my parents back for the unused ticket.

justasking111 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:30:44

Oh go with family, toddler will be fine at 18 months.

PotteringAlong Tue 23-Apr-19 17:32:51

Abusive before the age of 5?! Does he really think everyone who takes a small child on a plane is abusing them?!

movesyouveneverseen Tue 23-Apr-19 17:34:32

We took our six month old (at the time) on a fight to a Spanish Island with no issues at all; we fed him as we took off just in case the pressure had any impact on his ears and then he slept for 95% of the way. Very similar on the way back too. I don’t think you’ll be so lucky with the sleep as your DC is that bit older but I imagine a drink and a snack of some kind will help with any pressure issues, if any.

I understand he may be anxious but I don’t think so many people would fly with little ones if it was a genuine issue.

I hope you manage to all get away together smile

WonderTweek Tue 23-Apr-19 17:34:39

Could he just be really nervous about flying with a toddler in case the toddler kicks off on the plane and there's nowhere to go? I'm like this and this is why I've only flown once with my toddler when he was 18 months old. The first flight was perfect, no issues whatsoever, but the return flight was he'll with an overtired toddler who was kicking, scratching and screaming the whole time. I thought I was going to have a breakdown. blush My husband and I agreed that we won't try flying again until we can handle tantrums etc a bit better, but that's for our sanity's sake. grin

It would be odd to come up with a random excuse like that though.

Freshstart40 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:34:54

Hi OP. Former long haul flight attendant here. Your baby is fine to go... totally. Like others have said, a drink for take off and landing, as soon as the seat belt sign comes on for landing actually, about 20 mins before the plane gets on the ground. I always used to carry olbas oil and that disgusting Vicks vapour gum for any passengers in pain. That worked a treat but obviously not suitable for an 18 month old. Although if they are contested some olbas oil on a tissue works wonders. I give my own children, who are much older than your child, lolly pops as they last a while.

Enjoy your holiday!

WoogleCone Tue 23-Apr-19 17:36:21

Under 6 months maybe, I've heard of airlines having some rules but at 18 months old they'll be absolutely fine! A dummy or bottle will help with pressure.

Sciurus83 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:38:06

He's mental. Just took my 5mo on a flight, its absolutely fine

user1471546851 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:38:44

How mad!
If that was true there would be a lot more out about it surely?
I've take both of mine since they were 2 months old! (summer baby's)
And I've never had a problem with either of them they've always been happy and both absolutely love flying!

TwoBlueFish Tue 23-Apr-19 17:39:13

Unless he can find credible evidence to back him up that it’s abusive then you should just take your son and leave him at home! Some calpol 30 or 40 minutes before landing and a drink during landing should negate any potential issues with air pressure.

Longdistance Tue 23-Apr-19 17:39:54

What rubbish is your dh talking about? My dd2 moved with us to Oz at 3mo, she was perfectly fine. Both dds flown everywhere since small.
As for the pressure, make sure you have s drink or something for your dc to chew on as this helps to alleviate any pressure problems with the ears. Also, a little run behind the ears before landing helps.
I think your dh doesn’t want to go and wants an excuse. Leave him at home.

mama1980 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:40:02

That's crazy. I've flown dozens of time with mine as babies never had an issue. Give them something to suck ie dummy or breast during landing and take off and mine were fine.

cassgate Tue 23-Apr-19 17:40:48

My DS flew from 3 months old his sister was older at 22 months. Neither had any problems and these were 9 hour flights.

Damntheman Tue 23-Apr-19 17:42:41

My doctor told me babies have quite wide ear canals and generally speaking won't start having trouble with air pressure until three years. My kids both were flying from 7 weeks old with zero problems!

timeisnotaline Tue 23-Apr-19 17:43:47

Batshit, he can’t be serious? My gorgeous little dc have been flying every few months since they were 5 or 6 weeks old each. Short haul and at least one long haul return every year. Myself the same, only since I was 2 weeks old. I love flying, was gutted when my dad changed jobs and we were going to stay in the same place for a while.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 23-Apr-19 17:43:58

He could be finding excuses.
I would not be happy being 'bounced' into going abroad for a holiday without having been asked...

Kennehora Tue 23-Apr-19 17:44:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bedouincheek Tue 23-Apr-19 17:45:28

I flew from 3 months - at the time 9 hr flights, and my niece flew this Jan at 5 weeks 7 hrs without any problems. As long as feeding at take off and landing to de-pressurise the ears, there is no problem.
Have a great holiday, and leave your husband at home on his own. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »