Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked by this interaction in Morrison’s ?

(46 Posts)
BurrSir Tue 23-Apr-19 16:45:24

I was doing my weekly shop at the supermarket today when the lady at the checkout started talking to DD (aged 2). DD is a chatty little thing so all was fine.
The lady asked DD’s name to which DD replied with her name. The lady then said to me oh I prefer and then said a different name that starts with the same sound. I thought this was odd but never mind!
After that she started asking DD questions like are you a good girl? is mummy a good girl? And then just as I was paying she said to DD “Does Mummy like to have a drink?”
I hadn’t even bought any wine? AIBU in thinking this was a strange thing to say?

StealthPolarBear Wed 24-Apr-19 11:27:12

"ShakeYourTailFeathers

Were you wearing your I LOVE WINE t-shirt grin ?"

Lol that would be a drip feed

IvanaPee Wed 24-Apr-19 11:23:28

Bit weird but not a major incident, surely? I just wouldn’t go to her till again.

BusterGonad Wed 24-Apr-19 11:19:49

MrsS 😂

MrsSiriusBlack1 Tue 23-Apr-19 18:34:21

I work for morrisons and I’ve never been told I need to interact with the customers, most of them are grumpy old shites anyway grin

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:27:30

I would have wondered if she was foreign and didn't articulate her conversation properly.

SemperIdem Tue 23-Apr-19 18:24:43

That is the sort of interaction that would leave me baffled. But no, I wouldn’t complain.

Torvi Tue 23-Apr-19 18:22:32

I bought some cheap pregnancy tests in B&M's a while ago. The woman on the till asked me in a jovial tone which outcome I was hoping for hmm. It was a very sensitive subject for me at the time and I felt it was highly inappropriate of her to comment at all.

steff13 Tue 23-Apr-19 18:21:31

My favorite local grocery store employs several people with special needs. It's great, but there is one guy who hugs me every time I'm in there. It makes me terribly uncomfortable.

Lemoneeza Tue 23-Apr-19 18:18:47

All I ever do in Morrisons is have weird interactions with other customers and the staff so I wouldn't bat an eyelid at this. Complain, really?

BumpIntheNite Tue 23-Apr-19 18:13:44

is mummy a good girl?

confused

M4J4 Tue 23-Apr-19 18:13:10

@TigersRoll

Don’t report her. I say some really fucking weird and inapropriate things due to my autism. I don’t mean to offend people. Maybe you should have just said something like “be careful, some might say you were implying something there!” In a cheery tone. That would get the message across to me without making me feel like I’d really made a rate of myself (again)

Why is it OP's responsibility not to make the assistant feel like she's made a twat of herself? OP did nothing wrong.

Why the fuck does OP have to be cheery to someone who just asked her daughter if her mum likes a drink? Would you suggest this to a man?

OP, do report her. She could really upset the next person she targets.

SchadenfreudePersonified Tue 23-Apr-19 18:03:02

She sounds pissed.

TigersRoll Tue 23-Apr-19 17:47:07

Made a “twat” of myself

TigersRoll Tue 23-Apr-19 17:46:33

Don’t report her. I say some really fucking weird and inapropriate things due to my autism. I don’t mean to offend people. Maybe you should have just said something like “be careful, some might say you were implying something there!” In a cheery tone. That would get the message across to me without making me feel like I’d really made a rate of myself (again)

sheepsheep Tue 23-Apr-19 17:45:34

Sometimes people have a brain fart and say ridiculous things. Not necessarily due to a disability or anything else. Just a momentary lapse of judgement where the mouth engaged and the brain didn't.

Yes it was odd but does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

lottiegarbanzo Tue 23-Apr-19 17:41:16

I think you should have responded to her calmly but firmly at the time. These things do take you by suprise but reporting her would be an overraction - and as much about rectifying your own failing as hers.

RedBerryTea Tue 23-Apr-19 17:32:54

I would also suspect SEN. There's a young man who works in our local Tesco with SEN who loves to chat and sometimes makes inappropriate remarks. His is always the shortest queue, so we often go to his till. One time I bought wine, he said "I don't drink I don't", so I said "Good for you, I wish I'd never started" (laughing) and he said very seriously "Perhaps you should stop". My teenage daughter who was with me at the time thought it was brilliant.

PregnantSea Tue 23-Apr-19 17:31:29

Sometimes people are weird and/or socially awkward and just don't know what to say. She probably thought she was being funny

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 23-Apr-19 17:28:55

Sounds like she wanted to be a social worker and ended up on the till at Morrison's, in stead. I mean Not that There's anything wrong with shop work, mind

WillGymForPizza Tue 23-Apr-19 17:26:46

Staff in Morrisons are told that they have to interact with customers.

Honestly why anyone would complain about this baffling? What they said was a bit socially inept, but hardly a crime.

AWishForWingsThatWork Tue 23-Apr-19 17:21:41

I think I would have asked her very firmly, "Have YOU been drinking?" Because that is not an appropriate question to be asking your 2 year old. Very off.

GreyGardens88 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:16:42

It's being rather over sensitive to obsess or even complain about this no?

notatwork Tue 23-Apr-19 17:16:01

YABU.
Clearly she's been told to interact with the customers and if you will dress your toddler in a 'My Mummy's a dipsomaniac' t-shirt what can you expect? grin

AryaStarkWolf Tue 23-Apr-19 17:13:05

I mean she surely has SEN, I'd be very surprised otherwise.

BlueMerchant Tue 23-Apr-19 17:12:53

Wierd things to say. Rude too.
Maybe she is socially awkward and is sitting now cringing at what she's just said!
Strange job for someone if they are socially inept though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »