Talk

Advanced search

To ignore the head and send DS in summer uniform?

(114 Posts)
SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:01:02

Ever since my kids were small the schools summer uniform has been summer dresses for the girls. Shorts and school regulation polo for the boys.

DD has just told me it's changed and now boys in KS3 have to wear a shirt and tie all year round.

Girls are still allowed to wear summer dresses.

How can a 7 year old be expected to sit in a shirt and tie in this roasting heat right through to July?

They sell polo's upto 12 years hmm but you aren't allowed to wear them?

AIBU to tell her DS is wearing the polo sold by THEIR office this summer.

reluctantbrit Sat 27-Apr-19 20:17:32

Windswept - I personally find it absolutely ridiculous. Hardly any schools have air conditioning but then it comes with comments like "if you work in an office...". Well, I work in an air conditioning office and most men's jackets are not worn, ties are optinal unless you see customers.

WindsweptEgret Sat 27-Apr-19 19:22:50

DD is now in secondary and she has shirt, jumper and blazer as mandatory. DS would be too hot in all that, he has never worn his jumper, only the blazer. Sure, he would survive it, but not being able to regulate their own temperature distracts children from learning.

reluctantbrit Sat 27-Apr-19 19:11:46

No ties but from Y3 onwards most children, boy and girl, at DD's primary wore sleeveless shirts.

Polos are hardly seen in most schools around here after Infant. Where a tie is mandatory you see them in high summer apart from some days like last year where schools gave permission to leave them at home.

No child died so far.

DD is now in secondary and she has shirt, jumper and blazer as mandatory. I think they can leave the jumper off in Summer term but blazer is a must unless the head gives permission to leave it at home.

TheGrey1houndSpeaks Sat 27-Apr-19 18:59:04

Did someone just bring up struggling with their gender identity in relation to a class full of seven year old’s? confused
Just stop it, ffs.

WindsweptEgret Sat 27-Apr-19 18:53:29

Why need a tie to hide an undone top button? Why not just have an open collared short sleeved shirt with a couple of buttons undone and no tie?

WindsweptEgret Sat 27-Apr-19 18:39:54

I haven't known of a school that expects children to fully button up a polo shirt confused.

Yura Sat 27-Apr-19 18:18:15

@WindsweptEgret poloshirts are buttoned up as well, and several times as thick as shirts - and a tie hides an open top button well ;)

DefConOne Tue 23-Apr-19 22:40:39

YANBU. I love school uniform but hate seeing little kids in shirts and ties. Polycotton shirts are hotter and sweatier than 100% cotton polo shirts. I buy expensive cotton dresses for my youngest due to skin problems. Oldest had ASD and sensory processing disorder. No idea how she will manage in secondary (year 6 now but school allows polo shirts). I expect my kids are just snowflakes though. I’m definitely a snowflake as no uniform required in the 1980s when I was at primary school.

I work in an office environment. I’m an accountant. Can’t remember when I last saw a tie. We can all manage to operate a computer perfectly well without wearing one.

Thehop Tue 23-Apr-19 22:33:02

Our school boys from reception have to wear shirt and tie but girls have dresses.

Staff can relax their attire though .

Very unfair.

BarbarianMum Tue 23-Apr-19 22:30:31

Well some of us have children who are bright enough to work out when to take a jumper off for themselves Gothic. It's great that there are schools where extra help in that area is available though.

GothicMansionOnARainyNight Tue 23-Apr-19 22:25:24

What’s wrong with a shirt and tie? Our children have had to wear, shirt, tie, jumper and blazer (with shorts) in summer since nursery. Jumpers can come off in school when the head teacher decides it’s hot enough.

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 23-Apr-19 22:19:29

Once you accept a job or a school place, you agree to -reasonable and legal - dress codes. If you disagree, you express your opinion, but you don't make your own rules. No one is forcing you to stay there if you are unhappy.

And the OP did, the school has decided to modify the dress code at zero notice, and without consultation, you certainly could not do that in a job.

WindsweptEgret Tue 23-Apr-19 19:38:07

A tie would absolutely be hotter than an open collared shirt as they would be expected to do up all the buttons on the shirt.

Langrish Tue 23-Apr-19 19:22:18

Can’t he wear a short sleeved shirt with his tie (which is neither here nor there if it’s not too tight, won’t make him any hotter).

WindsweptEgret Tue 23-Apr-19 19:20:04

Management where I work wear open collared shirts, I've never seen anyone in a tie. Children are not mini adults though, my DS is in year 8 and they still run around at lunchtimes.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Tue 23-Apr-19 19:14:35

My DH always wears a suit, long sleeved shirt, and tie to work. No matter how hot or cold it is. Male teachers at my (Primary) school often wear shirt and tie (not suits though). Male teachers at DSs secondary do all wear jackets and ties.

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:50:55

Usually women get the raw end of the deal with stupid clothes arbitrarily deemed presentable by society, but I have to admit that the tie is one of the most pointless things I can think of.

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:49:05

I don't know any men who wear a tie to work, I thought that was completely outdated.

I work (not DH, me) in the city and none of the men around me doesn't wear a tie, with the exception of the catering and the facility department members.

Some businesses still wear tie, it's really not such an outrageous concept.

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:48:30

No way would I be sending my seven year old child to school in uncomfortable uniform regardless of anything. It's a state school fgs. They aren't going to kick you out.

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:47:23

I hate being told what to wear. I have not taken jobs before on the basis I would have to wear a suit. What's the point, when I just sit at a desk all day?

then you don't take the job.
The OP is free to send her child to a different school.

Once you accept a job or a school place, you agree to -reasonable and legal - dress codes. If you disagree, you express your opinion, but you don't make your own rules. No one is forcing you to stay there if you are unhappy.

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:46:43

I don't know any men who wear a tie to work, I thought that was completely outdated.

DH works in very swish central London finance offices and no one wears a tie.

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:45:39

it is unfair to those struggling with their gender identity

don't give ideas to the professionally offended, but the solution is simple, impose shirts for anyone, they are just as appropriate for girls as they are for boys.

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:45:14

You can’t just go against rules just because you don’t like them. What kind of example does that set your children?

Maybe to not be a sheep and unquestioningly follow pointless rules?

I hate being told what to wear. I have not taken jobs before on the basis I would have to wear a suit. What's the point, when I just sit at a desk all day?

WindsweptEgret Tue 23-Apr-19 18:42:10

Too thick for summer, too thin for winter, always look scruffy and wash terribly. Too thick for summer? Primary school children wear polo shirts in summer in Australia. Too thin for winter, when they are thicker than a shirt? confused

Yura Tue 23-Apr-19 18:36:34

what is so comfortable about polo shirts? Too thick for summer, too thin for winter, always look scruffy and wash terribly. Give me a shirt any day! The only reason Polo Shirts don‘t need ironing is that they look scruffy anyway. I rather have the choice of my kids looking presentable (thankfully we have shirts from summer term reception, and earlier if wanted - most kids never wear polo shirts except for PE)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »