Talk

Advanced search

To ignore the head and send DS in summer uniform?

(114 Posts)
SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:01:02

Ever since my kids were small the schools summer uniform has been summer dresses for the girls. Shorts and school regulation polo for the boys.

DD has just told me it's changed and now boys in KS3 have to wear a shirt and tie all year round.

Girls are still allowed to wear summer dresses.

How can a 7 year old be expected to sit in a shirt and tie in this roasting heat right through to July?

They sell polo's upto 12 years hmm but you aren't allowed to wear them?

AIBU to tell her DS is wearing the polo sold by THEIR office this summer.

Heismyopendoor Tue 23-Apr-19 16:15:36

When my kids were at school (Home educated now) the uniform was shirt and tie from P1 right through to P7 every day of the year. Never a polo shirt allowed.

Short sleeve shirt and either a skirt or school shorts in the warmer weather was fine for them.

NannyR Tue 23-Apr-19 16:15:41

Short sleeved shirts are as cool, if not cooler than polo shirts. The shirt fabric is the same as the stuff the summer dresses are made from. Most private primary schools have shirts and ties year round and the kids seem to be comfortable enough.

NewSchoolNewName Tue 23-Apr-19 16:19:04

Can’t you get short sleeved shirts?

The summer uniform at my DC’s old primary school was shorts and short sleeved shirts and tie. The male teachers also wore short sleeved shirts and ties (but with trousers not shorts) on hot days.

None of the kids seemed to overheat. School short sleeved shirts tend to be made from thin, light material.

Yura Tue 23-Apr-19 16:21:44

we have a similar rule, from year 1. just get short sleeved shirts! polos do look scruffy

frenchonion Tue 23-Apr-19 16:22:07

Buy a short sleeve shirt and stop with the OTT outrage.

Funnyface1 Tue 23-Apr-19 16:22:38

Ds is 8 and his school are a bit arsey about uniform. In the hot weather I send him in school shorts and short sleeved shirt, top button open, no tie. Anything more in boiling weather is unreasonable and ridiculous.

Yura Tue 23-Apr-19 16:23:14

also, shirts are much thinner than polos, so much better for summer

blackteasplease Tue 23-Apr-19 16:23:20

I agree get a short sleeved shirt. And I the hardly makes a person roasting!

If they said blazers all year I'd complain but this doesn't sound like a problem.

Thehogfatherstolemycurry Tue 23-Apr-19 16:23:22

Ds school is same.
Reception, yr1 and 2 can wear polo shirt
Yr 3, 4 and 5 must wear shirt and tie.
I've never seen the problem, short sleeved shirts are as cool. My daughter also chooses to wear shirt and tie with shorts instead of the summer dress she finds it kore practical for running about.
The male teachers all wear shirts and ties too

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 23-Apr-19 16:24:26

sirzy and AppleKatie I imagine the change in comfort and heat regulation is the tie, not the shirt.

And yes, any change in uniform needs to be consulted on, I'd certainly continue using a polo shirt as that was the uniform described.

He's more than old enough to choose if he wants to "different", make sure you check the current behaviour policy to ensure what sanctions the school will use for incorrect uniform, and make sure you pursue the complaints procedure, both in the inappropriateness of the summer uniform (unless the school is air-conditioned and ties are allowed to removed for playtime) and the lack of consultation on the change of uniform rules.

While you're there you can also chase up the inappropriateness of a boy/girl uniform.

pepperpot99 Tue 23-Apr-19 16:29:17

Yes, you are unreasonable to declare that you will "ignore the Head" simply because you happen to disagree with them. hmm. Talk about an overreaction. I bet they dread you wading in for every little thing don't they?

happyhillock Tue 23-Apr-19 16:31:06

When i was at school i had to wear a blouse and tie all year round, in the summer i wore short sleeves, opened the top button of my blouse and loosened my tie a bit, your being a bit OTT, lost of people have a dress code for School/Work.

coolestmum Tue 23-Apr-19 16:35:29

shirt, no tie is fine but with a tie that's just ridiculous. They are little kids. I don't get this whole thing about sending them to school looking like mini businessmen in this day and age. Its so antiquated.
A polo shirt or tshirt looks just as smart and is much better for a child to be in all day.

my2bundles Tue 23-Apr-19 16:36:42

A shirt and tie is ok. Many secondry don't allow pupils to take off jumpers in the summer, that is unreasonable not a shirt.

DrMadelineMaxwell Tue 23-Apr-19 16:38:25

All the Male teachers in my school wear shirt sleeved shirt and ties in the summer months... unless they are teaching pe.

Drogosnextwife Tue 23-Apr-19 16:42:09

Get short sleeved shirt. Its fine. Polos just look scruffy

Ohh FFS! They are children, who gives a shit. Ties are a ridiculous thing to send children to school in anyway, who decided it was a good idea to have young children running around playing with a noose around their neck!

Bunnybigears Tue 23-Apr-19 16:44:24

Why do people think a shirt and tie will make kids hot? A short sleeve shirt is very cool and a tie really makes no difference, especially if it's a clip on tie which it usually is in Primary school.

Floralnomad Tue 23-Apr-19 16:45:47

My ds wore a shirt and tie all through primary , just changed to short sleeves in summer . He is now a teacher and he wears a shirt and tie all year .

pelirocco123 Tue 23-Apr-19 16:46:07

I thought it wasnt compulsory to wear uniform at junior school?

ValleyoftheHorses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:46:19

DS is nearly 7 in year 2. His winter uniform is long socks, shorts and long sleeved shirt, summer is ankle socks and short sleeved shirt.
I have more of a problem with the shorts in winter thing, a short sleeved white shirt is quite cool.

TeacupDrama Tue 23-Apr-19 16:48:12

a change of uniform needs consultation as people could easily have bought new polo shirts already specifically for this summer also there needs to be reasonable notice for a uniform change it is not 3 days
personally I think it would be cutting it fine to change for September

when DD's school change consultation started in November stopped selling old uniform at Christmas change was decided by Easter, introduced the next school year for P1 with a year when you could still wear old uniform until it needed replacing so by this september most will be in new uniform ( as we are in Scotland it can't be enforced anyway) my DD's old sweatshirts are still good so I might not get the new ones

cuppycakey Tue 23-Apr-19 16:49:07

As you have only heard this from DD, and haven't actually been notified by the school, I wouldn't be wasting any time stressing over it.

Schools are full of rumours.

If it does end up being true, just put him in a short sleeved shirt and tie. Much cooler than a polo shirt. Weather will probably be shit again soon anyway grin

TeacupDrama Tue 23-Apr-19 16:49:17

I am not sure about primaries in England but uniform is not compulsory in Scotland in either secondary or primary

Celeriacacaca Tue 23-Apr-19 16:52:32

OP, has the school notified parents of the change and, if so, when did they do this?

DS wore a short sleeve shirt and tie to school until he was 16. I've just checked with him and he says no damage caused. The nylon blazer he had to wear in all weathers is another story...

wibbleee Tue 23-Apr-19 16:52:41

goodness me OP what an over reaction!! most schools do a proper shirt and tie now in primary!!! oh your poor little snowflake!!......

if you don`t like it homeschool ffs. polo shirts are being phased out everywhere as they`re hotter and scruffier. there`s always THAT parent...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »