Talk

Advanced search

To ignore the head and send DS in summer uniform?

(114 Posts)
SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:01:02

Ever since my kids were small the schools summer uniform has been summer dresses for the girls. Shorts and school regulation polo for the boys.

DD has just told me it's changed and now boys in KS3 have to wear a shirt and tie all year round.

Girls are still allowed to wear summer dresses.

How can a 7 year old be expected to sit in a shirt and tie in this roasting heat right through to July?

They sell polo's upto 12 years hmm but you aren't allowed to wear them?

AIBU to tell her DS is wearing the polo sold by THEIR office this summer.

SarahTancredi Tue 23-Apr-19 16:02:11

No that's not on at all! Really really unfair.

GreenEggsHamandChips Tue 23-Apr-19 16:03:14

Get short sleeved shirt. Its fine. Polos just look scruffy

SunshineSpring Tue 23-Apr-19 16:03:41

KS3 is secondary.
So, price vary can wear the polos, as sold up to age 12.
Secondary, where the polo shirts aren't sold in appropriate sizes, need to wear a shirt.

SunshineSpring Tue 23-Apr-19 16:04:14

Oops, so primary can wear the polos....

MrsKrabbapple Tue 23-Apr-19 16:04:42

Year three I am guessing you mean.

No, I don’t think you are being unreasonable as it’s a change and it seems a bit unnecessary. They should allow a choice.

However lots of primary schools who do have shirts and ties, have the same uniform all year round. It’s not unusual.

Poloshot Tue 23-Apr-19 16:05:11

Why would he roast in a short sleeve shirt?

SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:05:21

Secondary? You mean juniors?

Well the school must think polo's are scruffy because from nursery to year 2 it's what ALL the boys wear all year confused

noblegiraffe Tue 23-Apr-19 16:05:35

You haven’t had official notice from the school yet? Then just send him in as normal.

lyralalala Tue 23-Apr-19 16:05:57

If they've sold the polo shirts as uniform then they should be having a period where both styles of uniform are acceptable until all the sold polo shirts have been outgrown.

SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:06:03

Sorry I meant YEAR 3. Yes. He's only 7.

RedSkyLastNight Tue 23-Apr-19 16:06:11

You do know KS3 is children who are 11+ ? Not uncommon for secondary school age children to wear a shirt and tie all year

MrsKrabbapple Tue 23-Apr-19 16:07:04

You said KS3. Which is secondary school. That’s why people are confused.

EYFS is nursery and reception
KS1 is year one and year two
KS2 is year three to year six

SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:07:08

It's nursery to year 2 wear polo's all year round.

And year 3 + used to be shirts and tie in winter and polo's in summer.

Now year 3+ aren't allowed a polo in summer. Despite them still being sold.

Sirzy Tue 23-Apr-19 16:07:22

Just use a short sleeved shirt. I can’t see a problem to be honest.

Don’t forget if you just send him in in it then it’s your Ds who will be the one who faces being different to everyone else just for you to make a point

SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:07:38

I meant KS2. (year 3). Age 7.

SachaStark Tue 23-Apr-19 16:07:51

OP, you don’t seem to know how the school system works. KS3 is secondary school (which is not juniors, juniors are still primary), so 11 years plus. So why are you worried about your son wearing a shirt in four years’ time?

SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:08:27

My kids don't care about being 'different'. They revel in different. They do care about being comfortable.

SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:09:10

Sansa. It was a typo. I meant KS2.

Sirzy Tue 23-Apr-19 16:10:34

Why wouldn’t a short sleeved cotton shirt be comfy? They are thinner than most polo shirts

SummerStresses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:11:46

I'm pretty sure the male teachers won't be wearing a short sleeved shirt and tie in July...

Why should the kids?

AppleKatie Tue 23-Apr-19 16:11:47

No extra cost since he’s been wearing it all year? No real temperature difference between a polo and a short sleeve shirt is there?

AppleKatie Tue 23-Apr-19 16:12:56

Male teachers at my school will be! Well long sleeves rolled up on hot days more likely. And a suit jacket for walking around the school site.

Cuddlysnowleopard Tue 23-Apr-19 16:13:33

Wait for official notification, but this the uniform in my DC's primary (although they're at secondary now).

It's fine & school shirts are much lighter and looser than polos, and they actually get less sweaty.

Your real problem is secondary - long trousers, shirts and ties, and compulsory blazers!

CamdenTownie Tue 23-Apr-19 16:13:50

My son wore a shirt and tie all year from reception to year six and still wears it now in year 11 along with a blazer. Most school in this area have the same dress code, summer uniform is a short sleeved shirt and shorts for boys.

Heismyopendoor Tue 23-Apr-19 16:15:36

When my kids were at school (Home educated now) the uniform was shirt and tie from P1 right through to P7 every day of the year. Never a polo shirt allowed.

Short sleeve shirt and either a skirt or school shorts in the warmer weather was fine for them.

NannyR Tue 23-Apr-19 16:15:41

Short sleeved shirts are as cool, if not cooler than polo shirts. The shirt fabric is the same as the stuff the summer dresses are made from. Most private primary schools have shirts and ties year round and the kids seem to be comfortable enough.

NewSchoolNewName Tue 23-Apr-19 16:19:04

Can’t you get short sleeved shirts?

The summer uniform at my DC’s old primary school was shorts and short sleeved shirts and tie. The male teachers also wore short sleeved shirts and ties (but with trousers not shorts) on hot days.

None of the kids seemed to overheat. School short sleeved shirts tend to be made from thin, light material.

Yura Tue 23-Apr-19 16:21:44

we have a similar rule, from year 1. just get short sleeved shirts! polos do look scruffy

frenchonion Tue 23-Apr-19 16:22:07

Buy a short sleeve shirt and stop with the OTT outrage.

Funnyface1 Tue 23-Apr-19 16:22:38

Ds is 8 and his school are a bit arsey about uniform. In the hot weather I send him in school shorts and short sleeved shirt, top button open, no tie. Anything more in boiling weather is unreasonable and ridiculous.

Yura Tue 23-Apr-19 16:23:14

also, shirts are much thinner than polos, so much better for summer

blackteasplease Tue 23-Apr-19 16:23:20

I agree get a short sleeved shirt. And I the hardly makes a person roasting!

If they said blazers all year I'd complain but this doesn't sound like a problem.

Thehogfatherstolemycurry Tue 23-Apr-19 16:23:22

Ds school is same.
Reception, yr1 and 2 can wear polo shirt
Yr 3, 4 and 5 must wear shirt and tie.
I've never seen the problem, short sleeved shirts are as cool. My daughter also chooses to wear shirt and tie with shorts instead of the summer dress she finds it kore practical for running about.
The male teachers all wear shirts and ties too

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 23-Apr-19 16:24:26

sirzy and AppleKatie I imagine the change in comfort and heat regulation is the tie, not the shirt.

And yes, any change in uniform needs to be consulted on, I'd certainly continue using a polo shirt as that was the uniform described.

He's more than old enough to choose if he wants to "different", make sure you check the current behaviour policy to ensure what sanctions the school will use for incorrect uniform, and make sure you pursue the complaints procedure, both in the inappropriateness of the summer uniform (unless the school is air-conditioned and ties are allowed to removed for playtime) and the lack of consultation on the change of uniform rules.

While you're there you can also chase up the inappropriateness of a boy/girl uniform.

pepperpot99 Tue 23-Apr-19 16:29:17

Yes, you are unreasonable to declare that you will "ignore the Head" simply because you happen to disagree with them. hmm. Talk about an overreaction. I bet they dread you wading in for every little thing don't they?

happyhillock Tue 23-Apr-19 16:31:06

When i was at school i had to wear a blouse and tie all year round, in the summer i wore short sleeves, opened the top button of my blouse and loosened my tie a bit, your being a bit OTT, lost of people have a dress code for School/Work.

coolestmum Tue 23-Apr-19 16:35:29

shirt, no tie is fine but with a tie that's just ridiculous. They are little kids. I don't get this whole thing about sending them to school looking like mini businessmen in this day and age. Its so antiquated.
A polo shirt or tshirt looks just as smart and is much better for a child to be in all day.

my2bundles Tue 23-Apr-19 16:36:42

A shirt and tie is ok. Many secondry don't allow pupils to take off jumpers in the summer, that is unreasonable not a shirt.

DrMadelineMaxwell Tue 23-Apr-19 16:38:25

All the Male teachers in my school wear shirt sleeved shirt and ties in the summer months... unless they are teaching pe.

Drogosnextwife Tue 23-Apr-19 16:42:09

Get short sleeved shirt. Its fine. Polos just look scruffy

Ohh FFS! They are children, who gives a shit. Ties are a ridiculous thing to send children to school in anyway, who decided it was a good idea to have young children running around playing with a noose around their neck!

Bunnybigears Tue 23-Apr-19 16:44:24

Why do people think a shirt and tie will make kids hot? A short sleeve shirt is very cool and a tie really makes no difference, especially if it's a clip on tie which it usually is in Primary school.

Floralnomad Tue 23-Apr-19 16:45:47

My ds wore a shirt and tie all through primary , just changed to short sleeves in summer . He is now a teacher and he wears a shirt and tie all year .

pelirocco123 Tue 23-Apr-19 16:46:07

I thought it wasnt compulsory to wear uniform at junior school?

ValleyoftheHorses Tue 23-Apr-19 16:46:19

DS is nearly 7 in year 2. His winter uniform is long socks, shorts and long sleeved shirt, summer is ankle socks and short sleeved shirt.
I have more of a problem with the shorts in winter thing, a short sleeved white shirt is quite cool.

TeacupDrama Tue 23-Apr-19 16:48:12

a change of uniform needs consultation as people could easily have bought new polo shirts already specifically for this summer also there needs to be reasonable notice for a uniform change it is not 3 days
personally I think it would be cutting it fine to change for September

when DD's school change consultation started in November stopped selling old uniform at Christmas change was decided by Easter, introduced the next school year for P1 with a year when you could still wear old uniform until it needed replacing so by this september most will be in new uniform ( as we are in Scotland it can't be enforced anyway) my DD's old sweatshirts are still good so I might not get the new ones

cuppycakey Tue 23-Apr-19 16:49:07

As you have only heard this from DD, and haven't actually been notified by the school, I wouldn't be wasting any time stressing over it.

Schools are full of rumours.

If it does end up being true, just put him in a short sleeved shirt and tie. Much cooler than a polo shirt. Weather will probably be shit again soon anyway grin

TeacupDrama Tue 23-Apr-19 16:49:17

I am not sure about primaries in England but uniform is not compulsory in Scotland in either secondary or primary

Celeriacacaca Tue 23-Apr-19 16:52:32

OP, has the school notified parents of the change and, if so, when did they do this?

DS wore a short sleeve shirt and tie to school until he was 16. I've just checked with him and he says no damage caused. The nylon blazer he had to wear in all weathers is another story...

wibbleee Tue 23-Apr-19 16:52:41

goodness me OP what an over reaction!! most schools do a proper shirt and tie now in primary!!! oh your poor little snowflake!!......

if you don`t like it homeschool ffs. polo shirts are being phased out everywhere as they`re hotter and scruffier. there`s always THAT parent...

BarbarianMum Tue 23-Apr-19 16:55:38

State school? Just send him in in a polo shirt. What are they going to do about it?

treenu Tue 23-Apr-19 16:55:57

@wibbleee

You beat me to it!

JudgeRindersMinder Tue 23-Apr-19 16:56:54

Right now I’m looking at my 6 foot 2 almost 17 year old ds who survived wearing a shirt and (proper, not clip on) tie from P1...they do survive!
Short sleeved shirts are cooler than polo shirts anyway

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 17:00:54

Well YANBU as I think all uniform is completely stupid but it is not exacting "roasting heat" is it? I think it's 22c in SE England today.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 23-Apr-19 17:01:23

My son is secondary. Yr 10 now.

They wear shirt tie and blazer with trousers for winter months.

Summer term they can wear tailored school shorts and they don't have to wear their blazer.
This is from May half term til summer officially. However they will announce it earlier if weather is continuously hot and extend it until October half term likewise if weather is such.

They are expected to wear ties but last year they did tell them to remove them when in school as it was 28°+ for days on end

PregnantSea Tue 23-Apr-19 17:03:26

You're really paying the price for accidentally calling yr3 KS3 lol!

If you haven't been sent an official notice of some sort then just ignore it. If they officially tell you to do this though you pretty much just have to. It's annoying but the uniform is the uniform.

Minniemagoo Tue 23-Apr-19 17:04:48

DD told you?
First thing I would do is confirm what is actually allowed.

cathay123 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:04:53

Our kids wear shirt and tie all year round - its easier to just have the one uniform. If it is really hot weather, they're allowed to take off their ties and undo the top button.

itstheweekend2 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:06:20

I'd send him in the polo shirt if that's what you want to do. It's a petty change by the school, and only primary therefore surely not that important what they wear.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Tue 23-Apr-19 17:07:18

DS wore a shirt and tie from reception. Short sleeved shirt in summer which is actually cooler than a polo shirt. Y11 now and only allowed to take his blazer off with permission. I’m not sure this is a battle worth fighting OP.

Knittedfairies Tue 23-Apr-19 17:09:44

Send him in a polo shirt until you get confirmation of the change from the school.

OneDayillSleep Tue 23-Apr-19 17:10:15

Only nursery and infants (to Y2) wear polos and Y3 and up it’s shirt and tie all year round. Girls can wear dresses and boys shorts in any class though.

Oh and my husband is a teacher who wears a shirt and tie all year long, like we did at school too! A short sleeved shirt is much cooler than a polo shirt anyway.

MrsJBaptiste Tue 23-Apr-19 17:16:43

Wait until they're at High School and have to wear a blazer all day long, even when they're walking home from school. Granted we don't get that many red hot days here in the UK but seeing kids walking home in a blazer when everyone else is in shorts and t-shirts is rubbish.

57MtPleasantStreet Tue 23-Apr-19 17:18:28

I think polo shirts are much more comfortable for primary aged kids, who cares really how smart they look at 7 years old?!! Ties at primary are ridiculous imo too.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Tue 23-Apr-19 17:21:14

Our local primary is shirt and tie from reception, sorry sleeves showed in summer, sorts are cooler than polos and do look much smarter. I'm assuming they've made it one uniform all year to save people having to buy two sets of uniform. If you don't like it there will be other schools with your preferred dress code.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Tue 23-Apr-19 17:21:39

*short sleeves allowed

Bythebeach Tue 23-Apr-19 17:22:27

My 3 boys have managed short sleeve shirt and tie no issue but surely they can’t enforce an immediate change and there should be a letter etc!

RavenLG Tue 23-Apr-19 17:22:59

I'm pretty sure the male teachers won't be wearing a short sleeved shirt and tie in July...

Why should the kids?

BINGO!

The adult teachers obviously wont be wearing the school uniform the children are wearing, but they will certainly need to adhere to the dress code set out in their contract. It's not like they can rock up to school in shorts and a vest.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 23-Apr-19 17:23:31

I think it's mad that children of any age are expected to wear a shirt and tie at school in the Summer months. My kids had to in Secondary school, and a black blazer, while the vast majority of their male teachers were in open necked short sleeved shirts. It can't be conducive to learning.

YANBU OP.

m0therofdragons Tue 23-Apr-19 17:26:23

I have 3dds but boys at their school wear short sleeved shirts and ties all year from reception to year 6. Girls can wear the same or a gingham dress. Not really sure what the issue is. On the two days a year that it's exceptionally hot the teachers make a call and they can take off their ties/wear pe kit.

As a side point, I have no idea why any dc wear ties anymore. Nobody in our senior management team wears ties where I work and if a woman turned up wearing a tie it would be a statement, yet at school dc wear ties. I don't get it. Not worth some weird hissy fit over it though.

WelshMoth Tue 23-Apr-19 17:27:04

Wait until you get official
Notice from the school.

Alexkate2468 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:27:17

You can’t just go against rules just because you don’t like them. What kind of example does that set your children? Obviously there are situations where rules should be challenged but this isn’t one of them. A short sleeved shirt is comfortable enough. My school have shirt and tie all year round (including male staff) for all children from Year 3 onwards. Nobody has died as a consequence.
It really bugs me when parents kick up a stink about school rules. You knew there would be rules when you put your child into school. If you don’t like them, then take them out and educate them yourself.

And there are many reasons why uniform is a very good idea in schools...I don’t have time to go into it now....

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 17:27:47

Still can't see the issue with short-sleeved shirts, my boys wear them just as much as they wear tshirts or polos when they are home in the summer. The buttons don't exactly keep you warm confused

Ties are fine, they don't make you over-heat either.

combatbarbie Tue 23-Apr-19 17:27:53

I'd be raising it if the girls are allowed to wear summer dresses. That's unfair

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 17:28:53

Most men I see everyday wear a tie, it's not something that alien either

Bunnybigears Tue 23-Apr-19 17:32:13

Nobody in our senior management team wears ties where I work because obviously your work is the example we should all he following. All the males in my office wear ties regardless of if they are senior or junior.

JustHereWithMyPopcorn Tue 23-Apr-19 17:33:37

At my sons secondary school they have to wear blazers in the summer too and can only take them off if given permission.

PositiveVibez Tue 23-Apr-19 17:35:59

who decided it was a good idea to have young children running around playing with a noose around their neck

Omg. I have read some dramatic responses on mumsnet, but that take the biscuit. A noose 🤣🤣

bridgetreilly Tue 23-Apr-19 17:36:41

It's not roasting hot here, and it won't be roasting hot most days between now and July.

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 17:37:09

Be grateful your uniforms are not designed by Burberry

Geminijes Tue 23-Apr-19 17:46:37

A short sleeve cotton shirt will probably be more cooling than a polo shirt.
Many professional men wear shirts and ties throughout Summer....it's no big deal.

FrancisCrawford Tue 23-Apr-19 17:47:08

Polo shirts are relatively recent as items of school uniform. Generations of kids managed just fine in shirts - which are thinner and therefore cooler than polo shirts.

grumiosmum Tue 23-Apr-19 17:49:34

OP, not sure where you are, but today's the last day of the heatwave in most of the UK.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 23-Apr-19 17:55:30

Many professional men wear shirts and ties throughout Summer....it's no big deal.

So? These are kids. They're going to be sitting in red hot classrooms, not air conditioned offices, and are going to want to be running round with their mates in the heat of the day. They don't need to be wearing a tie to school at 5.

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 23-Apr-19 17:56:44

Polo shirts are relatively recent as items of school uniform

They were my school uniform in the 70's and 80's - indeed by secondary school they'd removed any gendered uniform entirely, skirts were allowed for all.

WindsweptEgret Tue 23-Apr-19 18:04:31

Short sleeved shirts are fine, though, unlike polo shirts, often they need ironing, which is a nuisance. I prefer polo shirts. Ties, however, are pointless and should be got rid of in secondary as well as primary.

Uniform at many workplaces includes polo shirts or open collared shirts these days.

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:07:56

but today's the last day of the heatwave in most of the UK.

what heatwave?!?
It didn't rain and was gloriously sunny- but heatwave?

ForalltheSaints Tue 23-Apr-19 18:11:51

bridgetreilly it is never roasting even in the tropical parts of south London.

Make your point to the school by contacting the Head and perhaps the chair of governors, not by breaking the policy. You probably could argue it is unfair to those struggling with their gender identity, if you think that will help get the policy changed. The head might fear being branded as transphobic.

WindsweptEgret Tue 23-Apr-19 18:14:32

What is the girls uniform if they wear shorts instead of a dress? Can they wear a polo shirt, or an open collared shirt, or do they then have to wear a tie too?

Yura Tue 23-Apr-19 18:36:34

what is so comfortable about polo shirts? Too thick for summer, too thin for winter, always look scruffy and wash terribly. Give me a shirt any day! The only reason Polo Shirts don‘t need ironing is that they look scruffy anyway. I rather have the choice of my kids looking presentable (thankfully we have shirts from summer term reception, and earlier if wanted - most kids never wear polo shirts except for PE)

WindsweptEgret Tue 23-Apr-19 18:42:10

Too thick for summer, too thin for winter, always look scruffy and wash terribly. Too thick for summer? Primary school children wear polo shirts in summer in Australia. Too thin for winter, when they are thicker than a shirt? confused

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:45:14

You can’t just go against rules just because you don’t like them. What kind of example does that set your children?

Maybe to not be a sheep and unquestioningly follow pointless rules?

I hate being told what to wear. I have not taken jobs before on the basis I would have to wear a suit. What's the point, when I just sit at a desk all day?

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:45:39

it is unfair to those struggling with their gender identity

don't give ideas to the professionally offended, but the solution is simple, impose shirts for anyone, they are just as appropriate for girls as they are for boys.

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:46:43

I don't know any men who wear a tie to work, I thought that was completely outdated.

DH works in very swish central London finance offices and no one wears a tie.

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:47:23

I hate being told what to wear. I have not taken jobs before on the basis I would have to wear a suit. What's the point, when I just sit at a desk all day?

then you don't take the job.
The OP is free to send her child to a different school.

Once you accept a job or a school place, you agree to -reasonable and legal - dress codes. If you disagree, you express your opinion, but you don't make your own rules. No one is forcing you to stay there if you are unhappy.

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:48:30

No way would I be sending my seven year old child to school in uncomfortable uniform regardless of anything. It's a state school fgs. They aren't going to kick you out.

Babuchak Tue 23-Apr-19 18:49:05

I don't know any men who wear a tie to work, I thought that was completely outdated.

I work (not DH, me) in the city and none of the men around me doesn't wear a tie, with the exception of the catering and the facility department members.

Some businesses still wear tie, it's really not such an outrageous concept.

Floatingfancy Tue 23-Apr-19 18:50:55

Usually women get the raw end of the deal with stupid clothes arbitrarily deemed presentable by society, but I have to admit that the tie is one of the most pointless things I can think of.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Tue 23-Apr-19 19:14:35

My DH always wears a suit, long sleeved shirt, and tie to work. No matter how hot or cold it is. Male teachers at my (Primary) school often wear shirt and tie (not suits though). Male teachers at DSs secondary do all wear jackets and ties.

WindsweptEgret Tue 23-Apr-19 19:20:04

Management where I work wear open collared shirts, I've never seen anyone in a tie. Children are not mini adults though, my DS is in year 8 and they still run around at lunchtimes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »