Talk

Advanced search

To think long painted nails look unattractive

(242 Posts)
Decormad38 Tue 23-Apr-19 05:56:04

I am prepared to be shot down in flames but when I look at long painted nails on anyone I just think they look ugly and claw like. I just don’t get why anyone would spend money to make their hands look like that. I think short or medium length painted nails look nice but not long ones.

PatricksRum Tue 23-Apr-19 05:57:51

I'm with you. But only acrylics.
Horrible shape to them too!

araiwa Tue 23-Apr-19 06:00:20

Ok. Good

Tahitiitsamagicalplace Tue 23-Apr-19 06:02:14

Don't get long painted nails if you don't like them that much then. hmm

eurochick Tue 23-Apr-19 06:05:24

I agree. I think they look awful. I like a short painted nail though.

Decormad38 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:06:22

I wouldn’t. Obviously. But they creep me out when I look at other people’s.

Raver84 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:07:59

With acrylics I always wonder how you keep your fingers properly cleaned you would have to use a nail brush every time you washed your hands. I have had therm onec any they drove me mad. I do think they look nice though.

user1480880826 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:13:38

Agreed

Happyspud Tue 23-Apr-19 06:14:50

I wish people could see them for how rotten they look. But women are conditioned to see all sorts of impractical enhancements as ‘beauty’.

LL83 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:19:57

You took the time to post criticising long painted nails?

Yanbu to dislike them. Yabvu to post it especially in aibu though.

Brashtweedyimpertinence Tue 23-Apr-19 06:22:40

Agreed

claraschu Tue 23-Apr-19 06:23:16

I hate them too. I also hate the way women do things when they have them- sort of using their fingers sideways.

Perhaps part of my repulsion comes from the fact that I am a musician, and I see hands as very beautiful and possessed of almost magical powers to create. I hate it when people take those powers away from their own naturally beautiful and miraculous hands. I love the way hands look when they have been used to make and do something special- gardeners, musicians, cooks, potters, painters-- these people have amazing hands.

Thewheelsarefallingoff Tue 23-Apr-19 06:24:11

I always think long nails are so unhygienic.

AnyFucker Tue 23-Apr-19 06:25:07

The accumulated muck under acrylic nails looks bloody awful.

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Tue 23-Apr-19 06:25:45

The coffin shaped acrylics are particularly nasty.

Sux2buthen Tue 23-Apr-19 06:25:52

I like them. And not because I've been 'conditioned' I just think they can be pretty.
I haven't had any for a while because of having to change nappies but when I did have them I loved them.

Lungelady Tue 23-Apr-19 06:29:04

I always think how they wipe their bottoms. Probably carefully.

whiskeysourpuss Tue 23-Apr-19 06:29:52

I wouldn’t. Obviously. But they creep me out when I look at other people’s.

I get gel overlays on my own nails but they tend to be in a neutral shade & not overly long... I think you mean the sort of thing my teenage daughters get though such as these pics & while I certainly wouldn't choose it they seem to manage just fine & if you have a good nail tech they don't look hideous - I've seen some absolute horrors on "show me your nails I need ideas" threads on here though

GuineaPiglet345 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:30:07

They look dirty and unhygienic.

crispysausagerolls Tue 23-Apr-19 06:30:13

Long unpainted nails are fairly unsightly too tbh.

Decormad38 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:31:32

Just looked up coffin shaped acrylics. Ughh.

FiveShelties Tue 23-Apr-19 06:32:09

I always think how they wipe their bottoms. Probably carefully.

grin

I wear contact lenses and wonder how you would manage with those

TheNavigator Tue 23-Apr-19 06:33:30

YANBU - they give me the creeps and make the wearers look a bit vacuous as they cannot use their hands normally. Also I really agree with this lovely post:

Perhaps part of my repulsion comes from the fact that I am a musician, and I see hands as very beautiful and possessed of almost magical powers to create. I hate it when people take those powers away from their own naturally beautiful and miraculous hands. I love the way hands look when they have been used to make and do something special- gardeners, musicians, cooks, potters, painters-- these people have amazing hands.

PhillipeFellope Tue 23-Apr-19 06:35:17

I like them. I don't care what other people think about them. I get medium square shape ones, my sister has stilleto shape ones. I think hers look like witch fingers, she thinks mine look like shovels.

stucknoue Tue 23-Apr-19 06:35:41

I have overlays but keep them quite short 3-5mm beyond finger max but there's a lady who I see regularly at the nail salon with nails so long they curl, it's personal taste though. I have very weak nails which crumble if they aren't overplayed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »