Talk

Advanced search

To send my 7 year old to school in unironed uniform?

(290 Posts)
Floosey Mon 22-Apr-19 22:51:37

I really struggle with laundry. I struggle so, so much and I don't know why. I end up just not having the time or being organised enough to put away or iron so my son often goes to primary school in a creased t-shirt. We're not talking slept in creases, just dried crinkled and needs a quick going over creases.

Apart from the creases, my son always goes to school in the correct and washed uniform (I once got up at 5 to hair drier his trousers because I'd forgotton to put a wash on until the night before and that was the only way they'd be dry in time) but ironing always gets the better of me.

We have very few things that need ironing but his school t-shirts do. I bought more expensive iron-free ones but they had the school logo on and got nicked. Strangely his supermarket own brand stuff always finds it's way home.

He's clean, looked after and engaged. We always go to parents evening etc.

Do you look down on parents like me?

AuditAngel Mon 22-Apr-19 22:53:38

Nope. He’s clean and not stinky.

I often dry late Washing on the heated towel rail

MrsBlondie Mon 22-Apr-19 22:54:25

Ive not ironed my kids uniform for past few years. They are in year 1 and year 8. Dint even iron the white shirt. Looks fine. Whats the point when they crease it instantly and shirt has a blazer over too.

CupcakeDrama Mon 22-Apr-19 22:54:27

I dont even own an iron shock

BackforGood Mon 22-Apr-19 22:54:47

I managed to get 3 dc through 7 schools between them all over the years, without ever ironing any uniform.
Of course YANBU.
Of course I don't look down on a parent who sends their dc to school each day, clean and fed. Why would I ? confused

IamMachine Mon 22-Apr-19 22:54:54

I wouldn’t even notice, tbh! Don’t worry so much smile

cad186 Mon 22-Apr-19 22:54:58

I don't iron anything

Ohyesiam Mon 22-Apr-19 22:56:05

Both my kids made it through 6 years and f primary without ever having an ironed item of uniform

RevealTheLegend Mon 22-Apr-19 22:56:07

I own an iron. But have never used it.

I work on the principle that creases will drop out once you put the garment on.

If anyone says anything you are saving the planet.

resipsa Mon 22-Apr-19 22:56:18

Yr 3 - never ironed.

BaronessBomburst Mon 22-Apr-19 22:56:28

I had to iron my own school uniform by the time I was 7. Maybe you're missing a trick there?
And no, I personally wouldn't judge you at all!

gluteustothemaximus Mon 22-Apr-19 22:56:37

No. We don't do ironing here. I give em all a good shake and the creases are minimal.

Being clean is more important.

Wheresmyvagina Mon 22-Apr-19 22:57:02

I've literally never ironed school uniform. I don't own an iron. Stop being so ridiculous! I know that may be anxiety talking but honestly. Do you really think people notice, let alone care?

KnitterOfSocks Mon 22-Apr-19 22:57:03

My kids have so far spent a total of 15 years in school between them. Never ironed uniform.

Mintandthyme Mon 22-Apr-19 22:57:19

It sounds as if it bothers you though
It would take about 30 seconds to iron a school t-shirt. Would you feel better if you did that rather than worry about being judged?

SarahTancredi Mon 22-Apr-19 22:57:55

What's an iron?

Nottalotta Mon 22-Apr-19 22:58:45

I like this thread. I've not ironed for years but thought I was going to have to start when dc1 starts school in September.

MarthasGinYard Mon 22-Apr-19 22:59:01

Yabu

I think it looks shabby

It's 2 minutes to iron a t shirt

You can start him ironing for when he wears actual school shirts.

Nat6999 Mon 22-Apr-19 22:59:35

Most supermarket school uniform is easy care non iron, polo shirts look ok if you put them straight on a hanger out of the dryer. I can't remember the last time I ironed anything, I just hang everything up out of the dryer.

collectingcpd Mon 22-Apr-19 22:59:44

Another non ironer here. Nothing. My mum never ironed either, so I guess it’s learned behaviour. I got to university and I have a good job- and I don’t iron my clothes for worth either. DChave never had their uniformed ironed.

Bookworm4 Mon 22-Apr-19 23:00:04

School uniform is the one thing I've always ironed, I like them to look smart, it's not overly time consuming to run over uniforms once a week.

Ilovewillow Mon 22-Apr-19 23:01:51

I'm too busy wet wiping breakfast off a 5 yr old's jumper to notice anyone else!

SomethingPhishy Mon 22-Apr-19 23:03:02

My DS is in year 4. He has a clean polo shirt every day, clean trousers/shorts & jumper every other day. I have never ironed any of it. Ì don't tumble dry either. I get it out of the machine as soon as possible & hung to dry, this minimises creases.

BlueEyedPersephone Mon 22-Apr-19 23:03:07

Never iron, buy non iron shirts and hang straight from machine. Don't listen to any of the yabu, they clearly have nothing better to do with their lives and want to be yuck.

Floosey Mon 22-Apr-19 23:05:14

I've taken Thursday as annual leave to try and sort out the house, mainly the floordrobe in our bedroom. I shouldn't have to do this. I'm an adult.

I've given up asking my husband. He couldn't care less and I don't have the energy to deal with him as well. If he does sonething he'll do things half heartedly which makes more work for me eg the last time he hung stuff out he hung everything by the shoulders which left it all misshapen and in some cases, needing washing again.

Given the state of the laundry in particular it's unfair to ask 7 yr old to help at this point.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: