Talk

Advanced search

To say no to DDs sixth form choice?

(100 Posts)
TheStirrer Mon 22-Apr-19 11:04:54

Daughter has decided she wants to study the International Baccalaureate as couldn’t pick 3 a levels. In particular she wanted to do maths, physics, chemistry & geography & a language. All fine as she’s a good all rounder and she wanted to keep options open as interested in Urban design and sustainability.

IB choices limited nearby but found a day school with an 1 hr / 1.15 hour bus commute / walk offering the choices.

Also applied to United World Colleges and offered a boarding place overseas but have since discovered they can’t offer geography. DD has decided to do global politics instead. I just don’t feel comfortable and am worried she will regret not doing geography. She will be going half way round the world and it will be a huge culture shock/change as it is and am worried how she’ll cope if she hates the subject. Limited other humanities choices - economics, anthropology or history.

I have mentioned this and she is really upset as really wants to go and I suspect will resent being sent to other school which also won’t be a good start.

I am really conflicted as to what to do ....

Wheresmyvagina Mon 22-Apr-19 11:05:59

The overseas school sounds like a great opportunity. I wouldn't say no simply because of the lack of geography.

Bambamber Mon 22-Apr-19 11:06:58

Let her make her own decision

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:10:29

Do you know it’s super hard at this age , I’m
In exactly the same position with mine . They have decided to stay at current school but are not at all decided about A levels and I do t like their choices . However I’m leaving it to them and school to guide them . I just ask a few questions about what their next steps might be and what effect that might have on their choices .
I wish I was a parent who was just happy with them deciding but I’m not partly because I don’t understand the world they are going into .

I’d just talk things through with your dd to make sure she fully understands her choices , make her look at the detail rather than just the big picture but at no point tell her she shouldn’t do it because you will always get the blame if things don’t work out .

Scabetty Mon 22-Apr-19 11:10:53

You can advise but ultimately she should make her own decision.

TravellingSpoon Mon 22-Apr-19 11:11:56

There are so m any threads on MN of adults who regret letting their parents tell them what to do at 6th form/Uni, and how it has affected them.

Let her make her own decision. Its her who has to study it.

howmanyleftfeet Mon 22-Apr-19 11:12:08

Global politics sounds like a fascinating subject, and a good substitute for geography.

Not doing geography is not a good enough reason to override her on this decision. She may resent you forever. Heck, I still feel a little resentment for my parents talking me out of doing art 20 years, and they didn't even override me, they just talked me out of it.

This is a great opportunity, let her do it if she wants to.

howmanyleftfeet Mon 22-Apr-19 11:12:54

*20 years ago

LIZS Mon 22-Apr-19 11:13:33

Humanities teaching in overseas schools differs to U.K anyway. Global politics sounds really interesting and could make a good focus for her uni personal statement.

GemmeFatale Mon 22-Apr-19 11:15:13

Worst case scenario is she spends six months to a year studying overseas, decides it’s not for her, moves back and studies locally for two years before heading to uni/work/whatever a year behind her peers. So many young people take a gap year, or repeat/drop back a year (particularly if they’ve spent time overseas) that it won’t be a big deal.

moreismore Mon 22-Apr-19 11:15:40

I think she will learn far more in terms of usable and marketable skills from living abroad and independently than she ever could from studying geography.

Bunnybigears Mon 22-Apr-19 11:16:25

Let her go it sounds like a fantastic opportunity and she will learn far more life skills etc living overseas. She can do an A level in Geography at any time in her life. She could even do one online whilst at the overseas college.

Stompythedinosaur Mon 22-Apr-19 11:17:48

That sounds like an absolutely brilliant opportunity and I think you would be very unreasonable to say no!

Offallycheap Mon 22-Apr-19 11:18:26

Other people’s child : “wow what a great opportunity, she will learn so much, let her go.”

My child : “the 6th form at the end of the road is just fine.”

blush

Katterinaballerina Mon 22-Apr-19 11:18:27

If you’re considering boarding overseas are there no boarding opportunities in the UK that offer what she wants?

TheSmallAssassin Mon 22-Apr-19 11:20:46

Sh knows herself better than you do. If the worst that might happen is that she hates the subject then really, what are you worried about? The whole experience far outweighs studying a subject you're not 100% about for a couple of years, especially as she's so keen to go.

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Mon 22-Apr-19 11:27:13

Omg if I'd had that opportunity I'd have literally jumped at it!

If she regrets not studying geography she can do it at a later date, either through ou or part time course while she works in the field her first degree gives her access to.

Or if she hates it then she can come home and gain a place somewhere local, she'll graduate a year or two later but no later than the gap year kids.

I suppose though it depends on the country she would be living in.

recededpronunciation Mon 22-Apr-19 11:27:51

IB is a great choice. Would global politics be at higher or standard level? I might be concerned if it was at higher level if she wasn’t 100% sure about taking it. Not so worried if standard level. Studying abroad can be a great experience, I’d probably need to weigh that up against the pros and cons of being away from home and settling in to a new place and routine against a relatively long commute to and from the local(ish) IB provision. What year is she in now? How long do you have to decide? Ultimately, which school does she feel she would be happier in?

PregnantSea Mon 22-Apr-19 11:28:57

It's her decision. If she's really keen on place overseas then you should just let her go. She'll only resent you if you push it too hard, she'd never thank you

slithytove Mon 22-Apr-19 11:39:50

Uwc is great as well, which one is it? Singapore is particularly amazing.

AnnieMay100 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:41:18

She’s an adult now she can’t make her decisions in life based on her mums opinion. Let her go and enjoy life it’s a great opportunity so encourage her and let her fly the nest you can’t tell her what to do forever. I know it’s hard but she sounds sensible and intelligent, holding her back will affect your relationship and her career.

MrsSpenserGregson Mon 22-Apr-19 11:44:17

No she's not an adult now, she's either 15 or 16 if I've read the OP's post correctly. At this age the parents absolutely do have a say in their child's decision!

OP, does your daughter already go to boarding school? Will she cope with being away from you for such a long time?

RevealTheLegend Mon 22-Apr-19 11:46:08

Interestingly i didn’t do a—level geography. I now have a couple of degrees and a postgraduate qualification in a related field. And I’m now at the point it might be useful in my career (thinking of a sideways move and it would look good)

Don’t let her miss a golden opportunity for the sake of one very common a—Level it isn’t that hard to do them as a mature student.

aibutohavethisusername Mon 22-Apr-19 11:49:31

I think the overseas option sounds amazing. Easier for her day to day than an hour and a half commute too.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Mon 22-Apr-19 11:49:32

Surely this is a decision between boarding on the other side of the world and staying at home and going to a day school, not really about one IB subject?

Is your DD ready to live so far away from you? Can you afford it with/without lots of sacrifices?

JudgeRindersMinder Mon 22-Apr-19 11:50:50

What she loses from not doing Geography, she’ll more than make up for by studying overseas

Let her follow her heart, she has the rest of her life to pick up geography

CanILeavenowplease Mon 22-Apr-19 11:50:57

If you think geography is a possible degree choice, all it takes is a few phone calls to admissions tutors to ask if they would refuse a place on the basis of her choices for IB. My guess is they won’t but it is easily verified.

BattenburgIsland Mon 22-Apr-19 11:50:58

I think you can offer your opinion but at her age the final choice has to be hers. I think if you 'dont let her' you are going to create problems. Whatever she chooses will have its draw backs and be hard at times. She needs to know that it was something she actively chose herself in order to have commitment to it and not just blame it all on you being controlling if it goes wrong for her.
The school abroad sounds like an exciting opportunity... and something she is quite engaged with. Of course it has its issues but it sounds like all of the options you have do. So go with the one she is most excited and engaged with.

TatianaLarina Mon 22-Apr-19 11:52:51

Where is the boarding school? Is she used to travelling, being away from home, being around a different language, different food?

If the yes is the answer to all of this, she will be fine.

TatianaLarina Mon 22-Apr-19 11:54:17

I don’t think the difference between geography/global politics is significant enough to be a major issue. Human geography is basically a kind of global politics anyway.

Whynotnowbaby Mon 22-Apr-19 11:55:36

Have you been to visit the school? Are you happy that it provides a safe and caring pastoral environment for someone who will still be very young? Do they have a high success rate in the IB? Those questions would all be far more important to me than whether she will love global politics - which is only one subject amongst many and can be changed to another of the quite large range of humanities you quoted. Personally I would look for a U.K. boarding school that offers IB as I think it’s easier to know they are well regulated and I think international schools can be hit and miss (but I’m sure you have established that yours is good so that may not be an issue for you).

Petalflowers Mon 22-Apr-19 11:56:55

Global politics is probably more relevant to today then geography, so i’d Go for it, (and I have a geography degree!).

Frenchfancy Mon 22-Apr-19 11:57:35

I am amazed at how many people are saying let her go. I wonder if they have teenagers or if they are projecting what they would want.

There is now way on God's green earth that I would let my 15/16 year old go abroad for school. No education is worth the loss of family life. She can study abroad when she is older but as a child she needs your support and to be close by.

underneaththeash Mon 22-Apr-19 11:59:15

French - me neither. If she's keen to board there are lots of UK boarding schools which offer IB.

Heratnumber7 Mon 22-Apr-19 12:02:48

Bloody hell! She got accepted by UWC and you don't want to let her go??!!!!! shock

That is such a fantastic opportunity OP. Are you thinking of her, or yourself?

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 22-Apr-19 12:11:37

I love the ‘just let her go/make her own decision’ as if she is an adult who will be picking up what is presumably a pretty hefty bill herself, rather than a 15/16 year old expecting you to pay.

badtime Mon 22-Apr-19 12:12:45

I don't think I would ever forgive you if I was your daughter and you stopped me going.

JacquesHammer Mon 22-Apr-19 12:14:22

I don’t think you should stop her going if she wants to.

But why can’t she do more than 3 A-levels? Is that not allowed anymore?

TheStirrer Mon 22-Apr-19 12:16:03

Thanks for all the viewpoints - she is a mature 16 year old. Boarding school was something that we had never considered for her as like many other parents we would rather she was at home! It has been driven by her and she is really keen to experience the multi cultural aspect of uwc as opposed to a boarding school.

I think we are quite traditional parents so uwc is a bit outside our comfort zone and not having experienced that type of education or boarding we are slightly nervous. Local school also not perfect as quite a bit of travel and small cohort but we will be there to support her and she’ll still have local friends.

GoGoJo Mon 22-Apr-19 12:17:38

But UWCs are great and not at all like most boarding schools (also usually full fees covered, although the Singapore one is run on a different model)

Which one has she been accepted to? I'd let her go. Such an amazing opportunity.

BettyDuMonde Mon 22-Apr-19 12:18:21

I agree with previous posters, the decision is less about one subject and more about home v abroad study.
I wouldn’t have let my child go so far from home at this stage.

There is a big academic leap between GCSE and A Level/ IB - far bigger than the one between A Level/IB and the first year of a degree. I definitely thought it best to keep home life familiar during this difficult transition.

My kid is not your kid, of course! You are best placed to know what your daughter can handle.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Mon 22-Apr-19 12:20:05

Am I the only person that has considered the, presumably not insubstantial, costs involved and therefore the OP, who I suppose will be funding it, definitely does get to decide what she spends her money on.

SeaToSki Mon 22-Apr-19 12:22:23

Global politics will cover a lot of the human geography curriculum, so it is just the physical geography part she wont get at a higher level than GCSE, but to be honest, the human geography is far more relevant to todays society unless she wants to be a geologist, or metereologist etc

JanuarySun Mon 22-Apr-19 12:30:21

It sounds like you don't want her to go and lack of Geography is just an excuse?

DPotter Mon 22-Apr-19 12:31:40

The only reason I would say No to boarding overseas would be the financial commitment. If fees are covered that's great but don't forget the 'extras' - flights, school trips, books, holiday guardians etc.

IB is a great system. If overseas proves too costly there are boarding schools in the UK offering. Whereabouts in the country are you? Can recommend a day school in Berkshire with an excellent record in IB - its a rare year they don't have a student getting full marks

Jaxhog Mon 22-Apr-19 12:33:33

I doubt she'll regret not doing Geography (I didn't). But she would definitely regret being talked out of taking up such a fantastic opportunity. She was mature enough to apply and get the place, so she believes she is mature enough to go.

Is this really about Geography, or that she'll be leaving home?

TheStirrer Mon 22-Apr-19 12:35:59

GoGoJo - they will nominate her for the us. Unfortunately not fully funded though. Do you have experience with uwc?

Thanks for the feedback that Glo Pol will have aspects of human geography.

I think a big part of this is how I feel about letting her go at a young age. She is very mature, independent and determined but probably very idealistic as to what life will be like - but then weren’t we all at 16 ( or me at 18 when I went to uni!). I have highlighted what I think the difficulties will be - shared rooms, people that may be very different from her and big step up in workload so she is going in with her eyes wide open.

Jaxhog Mon 22-Apr-19 12:38:10

P.S. I studied Architecture and Town Planning, which is in a similar field to Urban Design. I not only didn't do a Geography A level, but failed my O level as well. It made absolutely no difference. She'll pick up what she needs to know.

Smellyrose Mon 22-Apr-19 12:45:23

@DPotter can you let me know which school inn Berkshire has excellent IB record? DD is starting GCSEs next year and I am already looking at post GCSE study for her - thank you.

BlackPrism Mon 22-Apr-19 12:45:33

It sounds incredible... I think she'd always regret not going to the boarding school.

bevelino Mon 22-Apr-19 12:47:36

I agree entirely with @DPotter and if any of my dds wanted to attend boarding school overseas it would largely depend on whether we could afford it.

TatianaLarina Mon 22-Apr-19 12:53:25

Sevenoaks do IB but it’s 40 grand a year for boarding.

MrsChollySawcutt Mon 22-Apr-19 13:03:34

Getting a place at UWC is a huge achievement.Has she secured the funding to cover her place (UWC fees are huge) and can you afford the flights etc?

If the answer to both of those is yes the. I think you are being incredibly unreasonable not to let her go.

Surely you discussed all this when she applied, I know I did with my DD. In the end we didn't apply as we wouldn't meet the criteria for funding and I couldn't afford the £80k+ for fees for the 2 year programme.

Piggywaspushed Mon 22-Apr-19 13:08:36

There's a UWC in South Wales? Can she not go there?

maddy68 Mon 22-Apr-19 13:12:45

The overseas opportunity is not to be missed she will love it

cellibabies Mon 22-Apr-19 13:14:02

It sounds amazing! Definitely let her go, it's an opportunity that she will really regret missing out on otherwise. If she doesn't like it then she can come home and go somewhere local.

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Mon 22-Apr-19 13:18:23

If you can afford it- let her go, what an opportunity! Mine had to do with their 6th form which sounds boring in comparison.

TildaTurnip Mon 22-Apr-19 13:28:21

It is tricky now that she has applied and been accepted to say no. However, I’d definitely talk about options for uni abroad rather than 6th form.

RomanyQueen1 Mon 22-Apr-19 13:33:18

You don't do anything, it's her decision to make, and has absolutely nothing to do with you, sorry.

SandyY2K Mon 22-Apr-19 13:41:28

Let her decide. You've pointed out your concerns and if she still wishes to proceed let her. She'll only blame you if she's not happy.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 22-Apr-19 13:45:08

You know, I still resent my parents for making me do GCSE Computer Studies which i failed, instead of Home Economics, where I would likely have got an A, and then refusing to let me change to a sixth form college instead of staying where I was. Let her make her own mind up, and be gracious if she decides she doesn't like it. She's only a teenager, she's got the rest of her life to study geography if she wants to.

RollaCola84 Mon 22-Apr-19 13:50:01

SandyY2K a 2yr IB at UWC USA is $78,000 which is about 60k. That doesn't include flights, pocket money etc. As OP said the place isn't fully funded and pretty sure she has a big say in the matter.

Inniu Mon 22-Apr-19 13:54:21

It is a huge financial commitment. Has she tried summer courses at all to see how she would find the reality of studying abroad.

DD1 has similar ideas but for uni not school so is studying in Georgetown in Washington for the month of June.

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Mon 22-Apr-19 14:11:04

I think if the financial side of it is possible then you should let her go. And I say that as a mum of a 16 year old. It sounds like a fantastic opportunity, something that will really stand out when she does UCAS, and it seems like she really wants it. If you can’t afford it then that’s completely different though. I also don’t think the logistics of the local option, 2-3 hours commuting daily, sound great either to be honest.

yoursworried Mon 22-Apr-19 16:20:06

UWC is amazing! If you think she has the maturity to go abroad and be fine then I would encourage this with bells on. Global Politics sounds really interesting and although this isn't my field it sounds like something that would have crossovers with geography in any case. Which UWC? X

TheStirrer Mon 22-Apr-19 17:18:02

Yours worried - she will be nominated to go to USA. Do you have experience of uwc as if so it would be great to hear about it especially as we don’t know any other uwc ers.... also can’t seem to find any info on in results - appreciate it is a varied cohort!

applesarerroundandshiny Mon 22-Apr-19 20:21:54

I would have no issue whatsoever about my DC not being able to study Geography, however, moving abroad to study would be a big issue to discuss, and the financial implications would be an even bigger issue. For us this would make this an impossible choice.

britnay Mon 22-Apr-19 20:28:00

I went to a UWC, it was amazing! She'll do great smile

TatianaLarina Mon 22-Apr-19 20:43:17

Can you afford flights to the US? Does she know how ghastly and conformist US high schools can be?

ForalltheSaints Mon 22-Apr-19 20:47:33

No local options?

user1471590586 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:03:46

Maybe just me but I've never heard of UWC.

GoldenRuby Mon 22-Apr-19 21:05:50

If she studies abroad for her IB, will she be classed as an overseas student if she then want to go to a U.K. university, and have to pay even higher fees?

stucknoue Mon 22-Apr-19 21:10:52

If you can afford it, let her go overseas it's an amazing opportunity. Dd has boarded for sixth form (in U.K. on scholarship) and it's been such a good transition to university.

MariaNovella Mon 22-Apr-19 21:13:39

UWC is a fantastic opportunity and GloPo a great and very popular IB subject.

MariaNovella Mon 22-Apr-19 21:14:40

Can you afford flights to the US? Does she know how ghastly and conformist US high schools can be?

But she isn’t going to attend a US high school...

AmIRightOrAMeringue Mon 22-Apr-19 21:17:04

I have never ever heard anyone say 'my life could have turned out differently...if only I'd studied geography'. I am being flippant but I did geography a level and a related degree and wish I'd done something more useful! Surely if she wanted to do it that much she wouldn't be considering something else

Rando42 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:21:00

Almost everyone I know either dropped out or performed badly if they got talked into a school or course by their parents rather than picking it for themselves. If she makes the wrong choice, it can be fixed later on, but at least it’s her choice.

bridgetreilly Mon 22-Apr-19 21:23:13

I would want her to go, OP. I know it's scary for you (and probably a bit for her too), but it is an amazing opportunity that will really open so many doors for her. All of the things that you mention are learning opportunities. Yes, it'll be harder than going to a local sixth form. But facing and coping with hard things are how we learn and grow.

TheGrapefulDread Mon 22-Apr-19 21:32:06

Have you tried contacting the ibo.org to ask questions about results ? There is a contact section.

yoursworried Tue 23-Apr-19 13:50:53

Op yes I went to a different UWC. Great ethos I would love my kids to do that when they're older

Rosesaredead Tue 23-Apr-19 15:04:56

It's not your decision! Let her choose!

SaveThePangolin Tue 23-Apr-19 15:09:57

My mother was super-controlling, seriously, but she let me decide my own A level choices. If it turns out to have been the wrong decision, so what, it happens, it's life. She's identified a wish to do this and I think it would be wrong to stand in her way.

Nandocushion Tue 23-Apr-19 15:23:14

A friend of mine went to UWC in New Mexico (I think) and absolutely raves about it. (This was a couple of decades ago.) If you can manage it you should fly out to whichever campus she's considering and look at it together - it might help you a lot.

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 23-Apr-19 15:24:27

During my a-levels at 6th form, I realised I wanted to do something else at uni, I took a gap year, did the extra a-level at college in the evenings while working full-time, started uni the following Sept. Super easy for her to do an extra a-level during a gap year if she wants/needs to. Or indeed to do it later on.

It sounds like an amazing opportunity and if you can afford flights and other associated costs, then I'd let er go. She might absolutely love it, she might want to drop out and come home, either way, she's done it herself. However, I get that it must be very hard as a parent to wave your 16yo off. Is there anyway you could go and visit or indeed stay out there for a week or so after drop off?

AnnaComnena Tue 23-Apr-19 20:01:31

All these people saying 'it's nothing to do with you - it's not your decision' - who do you think is going to be paying for it?

22esmeweatherwax Tue 23-Apr-19 20:23:49

Both DH and I did International Baccalaureate at a UWC 30 years ago and it was utterly fantastic. They had great pastoral care and the academic teaching was fabulous. Please don’t discourage her from taking up this opportunity. UWC are brilliant.

pearldeodorant Tue 23-Apr-19 20:40:49

Just been reading about them and it turns out I have some friends who went to different UWC colleges. They sound incredible. I'd definitely let your daughter lead and take the opportunity- if things don't work out, a year out to restart year 12 locally at 17 makes v v little difference in the long run so you still have that back up smile

Best of luck to her!

britnay Wed 24-Apr-19 10:43:53

Why don't you join their facebook group and see if anyone will chat to you about your concerns?

GoGoJo Wed 24-Apr-19 19:51:41

Sorry I haven't checked back for a few days.

I worked for a RG in international recruitment so UWCs were on our rounds of schools we visited although I never made it to the states I've been to Cardiff, Singapore and Pune a few times and we had UWC students on our summer schools.

I really liked the international ethos, the careful way they blended the students from different nationalities and the way they turned out such thoughtful, mature citizens. I would send my kids for 6th form if I had any!

Like I said the Singapore one is different, its 11-18 and more like a traditional school. More focus on academics and most students are from Singapore rather than the mix they have in other places. Still a great school though.

ElloBrian Wed 24-Apr-19 19:57:09

Has she been away from home for a significant period of time (summer camp etc)? How much travel experience does she have? These are fundamental questions.

TheStirrer Fri 26-Apr-19 08:51:54

Just thought I would update the thread as your perspectives were all very useful. I agree that she would have resented not being able to go as she put in lots of work to the application and went through the rigorous assessment. She is mature and has spent time away from home ( weeks not months though!) and we have discussed that initially she might find it tough.....

Anyway she has now been accepted to go to UWC In the USA and is very excited. If it doesn’t work out she can just come back! I will probably be on here in August bemoaning empty nest syndrome and moaning why she hasn’t spoken to me in a week when usually glued to her phone!

Dumdedumdedum Fri 26-Apr-19 09:19:25

Congratulations, how exciting for her! You, less so! My nest has been empty since 2013 and I still haven't adapted!
Just a reminder of the note of caution a pp voiced - if she decides to return to England to go to university, she will probably not then be eligible for a student loan, or even to pay home tuition fees, which will mean a pretty hefty outlay for you, unless she finds someone to sponsor her through university.

TheStirrer Fri 26-Apr-19 12:14:21

Thanks.
UWC have not mentioned the loans or tuition fees so will ask them - I hadn’t heard or considered this! Has anyone experienced a refusal following overseas schooling?

LIZS Fri 26-Apr-19 12:54:22

I think residence purely for education is disregarded for SF, so she should remain Uk resident for fee purposes.

Dumdedumdedum Fri 26-Apr-19 13:21:49

LIZS - ah, yes, I hope you're right - my child had never lived in the UK before going to university in England, so our case was probably different from the OP's. It might be worth checking though, so as not to get a nasty shock, as I seem to remember that we had to have lived in the UK or EU for the previous 3 academic years in order to be able to get Home Fees status (and even then, our status varied from university to university) and because of having lived abroad for so long, were ineligible for a student loan.
www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Home-or-Overseas-fees-the-basics
www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
were helpful, links came from here: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/ask/answer/3592/fees-for-uk-citizen-returning-from-abroad

TheStirrer Sat 27-Apr-19 08:48:23

Have spoken to the college - apparently uk students still eligible for loans and home fees as classed as a temporary absence so now have no more excuses for her not go to! Exciting for her grin but scary for me shock

Stompythedinosaur Sat 27-Apr-19 10:25:42

Fab update op, congratulations to you both!

ThatssomebadhatHarry Sat 27-Apr-19 11:40:23

Say no!??? It’s her decision get a grip!

GoGoJo Sat 27-Apr-19 12:28:59

Yeah no problems with student finance. She's still ordinarily resident with you and you still pay tax here.

She might end up wanting to study in the states long term though so you should be ready for that but good chance of scholarships if she gets good grades.

Dumdedumdedum Sun 28-Apr-19 19:32:28

Excellent news! Congratulations again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »