Talk

Advanced search

Why are they always together?

(87 Posts)
Ihatehashtags Mon 22-Apr-19 00:09:00

I’m guessing there will be two camps here on MN but long story short it really irritates me that every single time my MIL comes for a visit she brings her sister.

It’s not 50% of the time, it’s literally every single visit.(we live 2hrs from her) We aren’t close to her or her kids, and never have been and I find it really changes the dynamic of the visit.

MIL also never asks if it’s okay but just turns up with her. Her sister is okay but it’s just another bed to make up, another lunch to make etc. it also means that because of the extra body we (our family and MIL) can’t ever go in one car together so the MIL and the sister take a separate car if we go out and do anything. This is the type of thing I’m getting at when I say it changes the dynamic.

My MIL and I aren’t overly close and I think her sister coming all the time has a part to play in that.

It’s my daughters party tomorrow and Ive got SIL and her three kids staying and MIL and now the sister too! There actually isn’t a free bed. They also aren’t the types to offer to help with anything either.

Thoughts AIBU? I have a bit PMTish so it could be that as well confused

Tistheseason17 Tue 23-Apr-19 19:09:24

Well done for telling them to help themselves!

Romax Tue 23-Apr-19 19:26:46

But all the inconveniences you list would apply if she brought her husband. And you presumably wouldn’t begrudge that?

BingandFlop2019 Tue 23-Apr-19 19:31:15

But OP - WHYYYYYY haven't you said anything about her bringing an extra guest?

ShowMeTheKittens Tue 23-Apr-19 19:55:55

You would need to get your OH to do something. And it would cause a total stink. Maybe suck it up or make them subtly uncomfortable like having insufficient bedding . Or tea. Or heating. Or ask them to sleep in a tent. In the garden.Or take them camping and ensure it's a bad weekend.

Gwenhwyfar Wed 24-Apr-19 07:34:37

"Not really. She wouldn't be the first or the last to have a beard.

Dh 'aunt' could have been around for longer than him."

A beard that you pass off as your sister? Come on. People in the family would know the sister. There would have been people alive when DH was a child who knew them as sister.
This suggestion is just insane.
I thought the suggestion that the aunt was actually the mother was very EastEnders, but not impossible, but passing your lover as you sister for decades and nobody knowing...

missyfafa Wed 24-Apr-19 07:41:22

Crying with laughter that this thread is turning into a conspiracy theory about lesbian aunts and beards.

ralfeesmum Wed 24-Apr-19 10:40:37

"A couple of oddballs" doesn't even come close to describing this weirdy set up......

mummmy2017 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:03:24

So where are they sleeping?

UCOforAC12 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:38:48

It'll be for company. Which is rude and suggests you and your DH's company isn't enough.

You're playing a blinder keep going channeling your inner MN!

Ihatehashtags Wed 24-Apr-19 12:37:20

Hahaha everyone’s responses are cracking me up! I actually raised it with my OH and told him I think the whole thing is fucking weird, why isn’t his step FIL coming, why isn’t the sister hanging out with her husband, how the sister being there changes the vibe of the visit and how it was pissing me off. He agreed!! Next step is to decide what to do about it! Someone randomly asked how we were painting with no power. We borrowed a friends generator and we hired flood lighting.

woolduvet Wed 24-Apr-19 14:58:40

Where is aunt sleeping

ohfourfoxache Wed 24-Apr-19 18:57:00

Well done op grin

You never know.....get them to muck in and they might not come back!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »