Talk

Advanced search

To be disappointed with this gift?

(137 Posts)
Pramgate Sun 21-Apr-19 12:33:44

Name changed because I don't want to look like an ungrateful cow.

I have a young toddler and im also about to give birth, and I was very kindly bought a double stroller as a recent birthday gift (I didn't ask for it, it was suggested as they knew i needed one and I graciously accepted because my son isn't a reliable walker yet and I was going to need one regardless). They chose the pram. In terms of size, structure and practicality it just doesn't work for me and I'm gutted because it was a gift.

It has arrived and I don't know whether I'm being a hormonal idiot or just being practical but it's just too big and bulky.

I don't have ample space for it even when folded down as my flat is very compact. It's extremely heavy, hard to turn and I can see it being a problem on transport due to it's size.

I don't drive at the moment so rely heavily on busses and tubes to get around.

I feel terribly guilty for not being happy with it. It looked relatively lightweight online, at least alot more so than in person.

I also don't think it's the most practical for a newborn?

Can I have some thoughts please, or a mumsnet kick up the arse for being an ungrateful cow. Link below

https://www.google.com/search?q=vidaxl+double+pram&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiksoXgh-HhAhVCElAKHQ5PAwAQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=360&bih=520#imgrc=SOLeRp6tUX5YdM

BooksAreMyOnlyFriends Sun 21-Apr-19 12:36:53

Not ungrateful at all. It is obviously a thoughtful gift but impractical for you. I'm sure the gift giver would understand. Is it possible to return it or sell it and you can use the money for something else?

Pramgate Sun 21-Apr-19 12:39:10

I'm not sure how to go about telling them it isn't suitable without them getting the hump unfortunately. As kind as they are, they're not the most understanding at times sad

In person it's absolutely huge, it makes my travel cot look tiny. It's unnessecarily long.

Oh god.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Sun 21-Apr-19 12:41:04

Clicky

No idea about the weight but the look of it would seem it’d be fine for out and about? I had a Phil and Teds tandem years ago for my twins which we used on the bus. I also had a city mini jogger which is side by side but narrow and easy to put down.

I think you’re being a bit precious if I’m honest. It is suitable for a newborn because it lays down flat. You need to practice getting it open and closed, if you can’t then return it on that basis with a different option. I’d go to a baby place to try them out first - go with your toddler as well, make it as hard as possible!

Congratulations as well smile

daphine2004 Sun 21-Apr-19 12:41:10

If it was delivered as opposed to them bringing it as a gift could you just return it for an exchange. If not you’re going to have to tell them as if you don’t use t they may get the hump. Just say what you’ve said here.

Readytogogogo Sun 21-Apr-19 12:41:12

If it's someone that you have a close enough relationship that you can be honest with, I would tell the truth, and see if it can be exchanged for something more useful.

NoSauce Sun 21-Apr-19 12:41:15

Get DH to explain to them?

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Sun 21-Apr-19 12:41:47

Tandems are much easier on public transport by the way, but yes they do look long.

Torytop Sun 21-Apr-19 12:43:23

Not at all ungrateful. People’s needs as regards pushchairs in general vary according to storage, terrain, whether you drive or use public transport etc — you need something lighter and more manoeuvrable.

I remember lots of comments on my lightweight pushchair when I moved from being a non-car owner in north London, where I was always getting on and off buses and tubes with my baby, to a village where everyone drove everywhere and had much heavier pushchairs they kept in car boots.

The giver will understand.

Disfordarkchocolate Sun 21-Apr-19 12:47:29

I had a similar one when my two oldest where 15 months apart and it was really useful (the frame looked smaller though). If the age gap was bigger I think one with a board for the oldest one to stand one would have been enough. Good luck in telling them.

snowdrop6 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:10:35

You need support for the newborn.so a stroller type wound do,I think your very lucky ,and it will be fine on transport

snowdrop6 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:10:47

Won’t do

Pramgate Sun 21-Apr-19 13:25:37

Thanks for the replies. I'm stupidly hormonal at the minute so am probably over reacting. I've told them I'm very grateful and that I love it.

Currently having a massive clear out to try and make as much room in the cupboard as possible.

Going to take it for a test run to the shops later on with toddler in it.

Butttons Sun 21-Apr-19 13:49:41

@NoSauce why?

@PramGate can you return it and swap it for another double that is suitable? Double buggies can be a pain to store at home when not being used. It's a kind gift but sounds like they haven't necessarily thought it through (and why would they? Only you know how you'll be using it every day)

NoSauce Sun 21-Apr-19 13:53:33

So that the OP doesn’t have to.

BlankTimes Sun 21-Apr-19 13:53:59

Please be aware that if you take it outside, you can't exchange it or get a full refund (unless it has some 30 day trial arrangement like QVC etc)

FanSpamTastic Sun 21-Apr-19 14:00:23

One behind the other prams are very heavy and not manoeuvrable. We were loaned one but I had to give it back after 2 weeks as I could not get it up and down pavements by myself. We walked everywhere.

I got a double nipper instead.

BlueMerchant Sun 21-Apr-19 14:03:48

Had a similar tandem 8 years ago. I didn't drive and relied heavily on buses to get to appointments etc and in all honesty it was horrendous. Felt and looked like I was pushing a mini-bus. Was so long I felt like my son was in another postcode. YANBU!
Just be open and honest. It's not what you wanted. Sorry.

JenFromTheGlen Sun 21-Apr-19 14:09:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yotam Sun 21-Apr-19 14:17:48

I guess the problem you also have is that price may well have played a part in their choice. That one looks much cheaper than all the other doubles on that page in the link, apart from a couple of stroller ones that aren’t suitable from newborn. The bugaboo is €1.5k!

I’m shocked at how expensive they all are - maybe they thought £100 is a suitable amount/what they could afford before realising how little choice that gave them. That makes it even harder to decide, especially as you said that you would like a double.

Pramgate Sun 21-Apr-19 14:19:31

I've got a sling from when DS was tiny so I'm relying on that as a back up plan for a few months until I can get something else.

I'd feel so uncomfortable with them knowing I was returning it. They don't have children so don't totally understand the practicalities of having the right buggy etc, I'm sure they'd take offence. To them a buggy is a buggy and to an extent I agree, but I'm particularly short and not very strong so something like this will be murder for me long term.

Easterbunnynearlyhere Sun 21-Apr-19 14:22:32

Urgh I feel your pain op. Ils offered to buy me one years ago but they wanted to choose it!! As mil wasn't even 5 foot and about 6 St, seemed bloody pointless as she would not have seen over the handle never mind strong enough to push it!! Dh had a word and they agreed I could go and test /choose one!

Pramgate Sun 21-Apr-19 14:23:09

This is how it looks in person, length ways.

Excuse the random scribble I'm trying not to be identifiable by my flat just incase anybody I know is on here blush

Pramgate Sun 21-Apr-19 14:24:02

Are these photos loading I can't tell

StatueService Sun 21-Apr-19 14:25:02

Baby jogger city mini. It's great. Easy to put up and down, narrower than a lot of doubles, suitable from birth, big storage at the bottom, under £300.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »