Talk

Advanced search

Or was my date really rude?

(136 Posts)
gillteed Sun 21-Apr-19 09:28:55

Went on a date yesterday.
We met in a village half way between us.
It was a hour train for me and 45 mins for him.
My train home was 5pm and his was 5.05 pm.
I checked my app and seen my 5pm train was cancelled (if anyone is in north you will know northern still use the horrible 2 carriage pacer trains ) anyway the 4pm train was running 7 mins late so we rushed down for that.
I missed it by 2 mins.
His train came in at about ten past 4 and he jumped on and said bye leaving me alone till 6pm for the next train.
This is a train station without a coffee shop,any train staff,no vending machine and no toilets.
20 mins walk back into the village and I didn't really know the way.
Aibu to think he could have stayed as he wasn't going anywhere just home.
So I sat till 6 pm and I got home for 7.30 pm and he was home and 5pm !

sammylady37 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:04:33

I’m laughing at people calling it a remote train station with no available refreshments etc, given that the OP stated that in the 5 minutes between her dare arriving there and her arriving he had walked to the pub. Hardly remote, and waiting there at the station for 2 hours feeling put out instead of walking the five minutes to the pub is a bit martyrish, tbh.

sammylady37 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:05:00

Her date, not her dare ^

PatchworkElmer Sun 21-Apr-19 13:09:12

Asked DH what he would’ve done- he said “no, I would’ve just suggested going for another drink”

senbei Sun 21-Apr-19 13:12:03

If a man likes you, he will want to spend time with you. Even if it's sitting in a train station

It works both ways. I've even sat with my friends waiting for their train to arrive so it's a person to person thing, not strictly an "if a man" thing.

donquixotedelamancha Sun 21-Apr-19 13:13:16

Never popular on this forum, but old fashioned courtesy goes a long way. I wouldn't see him again.

I don't think this is an issue of 'old fashioned courtesy', just courtesy. There was a thread recently where someone was mortally offended that her date didn't keep his uber waiting the 2-3 minutes until her uber arrived because the man should always see the women home- that is archaic batshit nonsense.

In this case he was leaving her alone for 2 more hours. Rude if either sex does it, but potentially more so from the man as a woman alone is more vulnerable. That isn't old fashioned- it's common consideration for others.

JenMumma Sun 21-Apr-19 13:18:20

Why didn't you go to the pub, even for a coffee and the loo ?

darkparadise1 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:21:45

This should be the time when he's showing you his best side and how much he cares about you. If he's this much of an arsehole so early on he's probably not going to improve. I definitely wouldn't see him again!

Lottaberry Sun 21-Apr-19 13:28:07

Yeah you're right - I would think your date was rude as well (especially and only as he was only going home anyway and it wasn't ridiculously late to the point his next day plans will be messed up from tiredness). If he had an urgent appointment or other plans, it could be more understandable.

At least he could have at least half heartedly offered once to stay and keep you company. I wouldn't want to see him again.

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 21-Apr-19 16:29:32

He could have at least waited until his (original) 5.05 train, the wanker!

Blanca87 Sun 21-Apr-19 16:38:38

Answer this honestly, if shoe was on the other foot would you have waited for him?

PregnantSea Sun 21-Apr-19 17:22:25

If there was a pub 5 minutes away as you say, then he should have said "let's get a drink".

He was rude, and probably not that interested in you. Don't bother seeing him again, you can do better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »