Talk

Advanced search

Expecting couple want people to make their meals and do their chores for them.

(139 Posts)
Aeroflotgirl Sun 21-Apr-19 08:34:10

I read this, and I was gobsmacked, and not just any meals, specific ones requiring expensive ingredients. As If they are the first people to have babies. I think big CF comes to mind here. I know people don't have to give, but some people have a huge front.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6941101/Expecting-couple-ridiculed-Meal-Train-page-requesting-Paleo-meals-friends-chores.html

NewAccount270219 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:52:31

As someone mentioned upthread, having loads of frozen food in and asking visitors to bring it is always recommended in baby books. Personally for me I regret wasting my time on maternity leave making and freezing meals because it actually turned out to be fine for one of us to cook while the other one had DS (eating it was trickier because DS seemed to smell my food and demand his own, but I got the hang of eating with one hand while breastfeeding after a week or two!), but it is standard advice, presumably for a reason (I was lucky that DH was around a lot more than many fathers are able to be).

profumoaffair Sun 21-Apr-19 09:52:52

Saw the headline & assumed this was about Meghan and Harry... grin

NewAccount270219 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:53:26

Having defended both pregnant women and new parents who want help in general... I will concede that these particular people are absolutely awful.

makingmammaries Sun 21-Apr-19 09:54:52

Part of the horrible ‘Gofundme for my Disneyland holiday’ culture. People have forgotten what it is to roll up their sleeves. On the one hand, I admire the community spirit that still seems to exist in the USA; on the other, it also enables a bunch of chancers.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sun 21-Apr-19 09:55:34

Christ alive! I don’t know what it is about weddings and having a baby that turns some people into complete arseholes. It’s almost become a fashion in recent years that people use weddings/babies as an excuse to be as granny as fuck because it’s “their special time”.

No! Sorry, but no. Having a wedding/baby is something people have done for thousands of years in far worse circumstances than you, you are not special. You are perfectly ordinary, capable adults, doing what billions of other people have done. You can work an oven, a take out menu and the internet. Fucking use them.

C8H10N4O2 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:56:15

A dietary restriction is being allergic to peanuts or intolerant to gluten or lactose. Completely different to these knobs.

You seem to have missed the words "absurdly picky" in my post.

And actually no, if I were taking a casserole or similar instead of plastic tat to new parents I'd want to know it was something they would enjoy or if they had religious/ethical restrictions not just allergies.

Don't knock the concept until you have tried it. The concept is great, its not rendered stupid because one couple is absurdly picky. In particular its helpful to people who don't have the extensive storage and freezer capacities apparently available to all of MN "in their day".

Aprillygirl Sun 21-Apr-19 09:58:00

I was about to say these people are no better than beggars on the street,but in fact they are a hundred times worse because at least street beggars (usually) actually NEED what they are asking for. I'm embarrassed for them.

redzebra10 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:59:22

ilovemaxibondi sums it up exactly

RSAcre Sun 21-Apr-19 09:59:24

Yes I think YABU. I’m first time pregnant and nearly all my pregnancy/baby books have advised us to ask visitors to bring with them some food, or to cook something we can freeze. It’s just a practicality,

Jeez - are you for real? Nobody got you pregnant but you & your other half. How are you going to cope with making family meals once you've given birth? (Hint: having an actual child is far harder work than being pregnant.)

Clutterbugsmum Sun 21-Apr-19 10:02:05

Why couldn't have spent the last couple of months preparing food like normal people.

I feel sorry for this child their parents are going to so overbearing. Or they suddenly grow up and become adults.

And I think I need clarification as to whether you can do a 'mental health check' and deliver food or do you have to make to journeys.

cdtaylornats Sun 21-Apr-19 10:05:05

Make them a real Paleo meal - whatever you can find while foraging in the garden.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sun 21-Apr-19 10:07:50

You think new parents these days don't shop, cook and live in a frozen time bubble?

I’ve seen threads on MN where expectant mothers are asking if 4 weeks old is too soon to take their baby outside and having no visitors in that time!!

BarbarianMum Sun 21-Apr-19 10:08:18

Newborns are hard work but rarely do they require 2 adults looking after them full time. Not sure why they couldn't batch cook ahead and then he cook once baby is here.

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 21-Apr-19 10:09:30

I notice he is wearing a Santa Claus beard in his photo.

Very wise . . . .

Passthecherrycoke Sun 21-Apr-19 10:10:17

“Make them a real Paleo meal - whatever you can find while foraging in the garden.”

🤣 the irony is the most paleo stuff is just like, chicken breast and salad, which takes totally minimal effort all rounds

HBStowe Sun 21-Apr-19 10:25:04

This particular couple are CFs. I personally think it would be really bad manners to turn up to see a new baby without some kind of offering and willingness to make a cup of tea if needed, but the list of specific meals and the stuff about the cooler tips this right into entitled rudeness.

Grumpbum123 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:25:59

I was very grateful for the delivery of cook meals after having my first and have used meal train for a friend after they had a life changing accident. But there’s no way hope in hell I’d set it up for myself or request food deliveries.

ShiveringCoyote Sun 21-Apr-19 10:28:23

Being Irish I sniggered at " melted and cooled ghee" .
Gee is slang for vagina, and that is exactly how mine felt after having my DC grin confused

Trooperslaneagain Sun 21-Apr-19 10:31:39

I am BEWILDERED.

I don't get how people end up this entitled.

BEWILDERED, I tell you.

<gets in the shower muttering to myself>

Sarahjconnor Sun 21-Apr-19 10:33:57

It reminds me of that Dadsnet post that is doping the rounds where a man is moaning he isn't offered tea - whilst his wife is giving birth grin. These enterprising men seem to feel that the women of the community should take care of them whilst their usual chef/caterer is out of action (having just given birth)

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 21-Apr-19 10:34:14

Best laugh I've had all weekend!
Not just major CFery - Snowflakery comes to mind, too.
If that were my dd I'd be seriously worried about what sort of helpless worm she's married.

What a contrast to my son in law. When Gdd was only 3 days old we we called in on our way home after a long drive from a big family do 200 miles away.
I said not to worry, we'll pick up a meal on the way and bring it.
No, he insisted on cooking, and we arrived to a lovely roast chicken!
He is the best.

PregnantSea Sun 21-Apr-19 10:40:04

Who the fuck would eat food prepared by an anonymous stranger? There could be literally anything in there. And now it's gone viral I'm sure they will be receiving dog shit pies and newspaper and crushed glass stew...

MidniteScribbler Sun 21-Apr-19 10:41:06

There's two adults, I'm sure one of them can whip up a bit of pasta. There is no need for restaurant style meals. A toasted sandwich does in a pinch if you really aren't in the mood to cook.

I am a single parent, and managed to keep myself fed with a newborn. I did have one lovely friend who lived around the corner who would ring me a couple of nights per week in the first couple of weeks and say she was dropping off a plate of food of whatever she was cooking for her family for dinner, and would come over and hold DS and have a chat whilst I ate. That was lovely, and more than I expected from anyone. I would never have demanded specific meals or handed her the vacuum whilst she was there.

ScrambledSmegs Sun 21-Apr-19 10:43:51

I wonder if the Meal Train page was deleted because she discovered how monumentally useless her partner was planning after she'd given birth?

DragonTrainer3 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:44:10

I'm the same @NewAccount270219 - I had two easy births basically due to nothing I'd done - I was just lucky. I saw other friends of mine who were not prone to complaining in any way but who had all sorts of problems with their pregnancies, also due to nothing they'd done or deserved. I do think if someone had an easy pregnancy/birth they should just be grateful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »