Talk

Advanced search

To ask whether you should flush...

(31 Posts)
pigletpie2177 Sat 20-Apr-19 23:57:37

If you find a frog in your toilet?

For now I've put the lid down as the idea of it jumping out has freaked me out more than I'd care to admit!

I'm generally one for catching spiders and letting them go outside rather than hurting them. Logic suggests that the frog has come up through the pipes but the idea of flushing feels awful!

AnduinsGirl Sat 20-Apr-19 23:59:03

Oh please don't flush!! Just scoop him out in a a pan or something and let him out in the garden. Literally zero effort and much less cruel

TheTrollFairy Sat 20-Apr-19 23:59:23

How did it even get there? Do you have cats that would have planted it?
I’m not sure it would survive the flush would it?

pigletpie2177 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:01:01

No cats. Can only imagine he swam up in the first place!

He's very jumpy - hence me panicking and closing the lid. I'm not sure I can scoop him 🙈

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Sun 21-Apr-19 00:01:05

Put it in a garden. It will go where it's comfortable. And check your wastepipe. It had to get in somehow, there might be a crack.

pigletpie2177 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:02:17

Eeeeeeee I'm not sure how to grab him. I'm not normally this squeamish about animals but then they don't normally appear in my toilet!!

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Sun 21-Apr-19 00:04:01

Btw there is no water in wastepipe. It's only in the actual toilet bit so he/she walked up to it and then took a little dive. Poor thing islucky there was no bleach or smth.
Get a plaxtic box with cover. It's easier to catch them like this if they are really jumpy.

user1473878824 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:04:09

Pan, slam a lid on! Please don’t flush him. Also I would like to compliment you on your sparklingly clean loo.

CupcakeDrama Sun 21-Apr-19 00:04:45

This would totally freak me out but no way would I consider flushing. I would put something over it to catch it in like a jar or something.

70sWitch Sun 21-Apr-19 00:04:53

A frog in a bog! grin. You don't see that every day.

Dustpan is your friend here I think. I do have a cat and have removed a few amphibians this way. (Although never from the loo)

pigletpie2177 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:07:41

I braved it and opened the lid to move him and he's gone! Presumably out the same way he came in 🙈

Sorry for that total non-event but DH was going to flush him and I wanted some Mumsnet wisdom before I let him anywhere near!

pigletpie2177 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:09:11

Ps @user thanks - part of my secondary panic was what Mumsnetters would say about my loo! I immediately regretted the photo haha!

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Sun 21-Apr-19 00:18:13

😂 Sorted it for you I see😂
Still, chevk your waste pipes tomorrow to check for cracks. Not sure how else he/she could get in. Sewage system isn't frog friendly. Maybe a stink pipe...

BingandFlop2019 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:22:30

Omg this has scarred me for life..... Forevermore I am going to be checking the loo for Frogs and terrified of one leaping up onto my bits whenever I'm sat down!

pigletpie2177 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:27:43

Thanks @Inspector will do!

@Bing the lid will be staying down for the rest of the night and I'll find another loo if I need a wee at 3am - the idea of a frog hopping up my fouf is just too traumatic to risk!

ReindeerDream Sun 21-Apr-19 00:34:32

It's only a little baby frog! It's cute!

I can't see how a frog would have got in there though. Can only presume like a PP said that it's something that shouldn't be happening with your pipework. Frogs can't really climb up u-bends that have come from a soil stack and flush to beneath the ground confused

Bittern11 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:41:49

Oh, the poor little frog. I can assure you it's far more terrrified of you than you are of it!

I'm part of a toad patrol who go out every night during mating season and carry frogs, toads and newts across the road to the pond they were born in. We put then in a bucket, take them across, put them in the pond and leave them to it. A couple of weeks later, we take them back...

Each year, we save hundreds. Many would be run down and squashed if we weren't there.

Please, be kind to animals. Even in your loo. I assure you, they don't want to be there.

VladmirsPoutine Sun 21-Apr-19 00:41:51

Can you imagine if you'd been sitting on the seat just casually minding your own business.

GimmeChocolateNow Sun 21-Apr-19 00:48:24

Is the the follow-up to Snakes On A Plane?

NutButterNutter Sun 21-Apr-19 00:55:50

Not to slam you, but is he small enough to be hiding under the rim? Frog up Foof risk may still be high grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 21-Apr-19 01:07:17

Yes he'll be in the gap between the seat and the toilet edge

Many years ago I lived in a shared house , one of the tenants (unknown to the landlord) kept a snake that managed to get next door .
NDN got the shock of her life to lift her toilet seat and find it grin

Picture the LL face when he got the phonecall "Snake? From my house? Eh?"

BigChocFrenzy Sun 21-Apr-19 01:13:26

Bittern I liked the idea of you going out with a bucket during your mating season grin
then I reread and realised I need to go to sleep now

Dontforgettheice Sun 21-Apr-19 01:15:04

imagine if you had gone for a wee in the dark and he had jumped up at you as you sat down confused shock

Time40 Sun 21-Apr-19 01:39:38

Awwww - it's sweet. I hope it's all right.

malpa Sun 21-Apr-19 03:27:26

Poor Prince Froggiam... sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »