Talk

Advanced search

My child is always questioned in the airport!

(37 Posts)
tigwig76 Sat 20-Apr-19 23:22:39

We are lucky enough to go abroad on holiday at least twice a year. For the previous 2- 3 years my now 9yr old son is always questioned both at check in, before boarding and on arrival back to the UK at Border Force. Is this normal?
I never thought anything of it at first and I also have a teenage daughter who is never asked a thing. We all have the same surname, I'm married and we all travel together as a family of 4. Both kids look just like their dad too!
DS is asked stuff like are you sure that's your name, how old are you, what's your dob, where have you been and for how long etc. He is completely laid back and answers in his own natural way. One time it was a few days after his birthday and the check in staff quizzed him about that and asked him what he got for presents. It's like they all dont quite believe him!! Does this happen to everyone?!

MolyHolyGuacamole Sun 21-Apr-19 01:52:03

Forgot to add that her son was also 9 at the time.

tigwig76 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:00:13

We're white British. Very average name and passport pic is 2nd one that does look like him. It's happened about 6 times at least. First time was just saying his name to see if he responded. Funny thing is we travel to America and US Immigration are fine!!

Connieston Sun 21-Apr-19 10:37:18

I barely got through for a few years when I had blond hair as opposed to brown in the pic. It totally changed the look of my face. Passport photos arent the most flattering, it could be that.

dudsville Sun 21-Apr-19 10:38:26

I see all the kids very questioned like this. I think it's good practise. Don't worry.

Connieston Sun 21-Apr-19 11:06:27

Perhaps the youngest child is most likely to answer truthfully or at least forget to lie if their parents have primed them so naturally the one to quiz?

churchthecat Sun 21-Apr-19 11:09:26

I always get pulled out for the extra questions and shoe swabs. 3 times on a 3 leg trip earlier this year!

I'm white british, blonde, dress like a hippie, not suspicious looking - whatever that means.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 21-Apr-19 11:13:36

Random thought - its does make you wonder how many known terrorists/abducted children/plain wanted by the authorities fly on their own passports ….. I have thought ….zero

CCC1 Sun 21-Apr-19 12:01:20

@PlainSpeakingStraightTalking I think it’s probably more to do with custody disputes - where one parent may try to remove a child to another country on a child’s genuine passport.

FirstNameSurname Sun 21-Apr-19 12:09:24

I think it's pretty standard. My youngest is unable to speak (SEN) so they direct their attention to DD2 who has verbal dyspraxia and slurs her words. Germany hated her annunciation of her address and it caused alot of stress but luckily I found her SALT report in my bag. Since shes started using ear defenders they now ask DD1 and things are much easier.

KatnissKringle Sun 21-Apr-19 12:09:44

I always used to get stopped and security checked which was a standing joke in my family. Then one day - I think it was CDG in Paris - I somehow managed to swap passports with a friend (not even related!) and we literally got to the plane having used one another's ID! We were amazed!

PicsInRed Sun 21-Apr-19 12:15:27

Agree with pps, it is very likely that your son has the same or very similar details to a child with a custody related border stop on his travel. Particularly as this is an issue in the UK, but not in the US. The border stop is likely only located on UKBA computers. Should resolve once he is of age.

ittakes2 Sun 21-Apr-19 22:09:31

I think my children often get asked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »