Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Or is this just tragic? What can I do?

(216 Posts)
TigerTooth Sat 20-Apr-19 10:58:09

I have a lovely (Ok - very child friendly) but still lovely mature garden.
We're away a lot, for months at a time sometimes, and backing on to our garden is a council estate. At the end of our garden, on the other side of the fence, so not ours, were lovely mature trees.They gave us and neighbour privacy and were beautiful.
New neighbour over the fence has cut the trees down, the whole lot, we now have a lovely view of his home - NOT.
I know I'm not BU as they were gorgeous mature trees but I'm posting really to vent and also to ask any green fingered MN's wwyd? I need something that grows super quickly and not too wide, that will look after itself whilst we're not here. He has also bought with him a menagerie of cats who shit in my garden daily.Any ideas on effective cat deterrents? We've tried a few to no avail. It stinks in the hot weather until we've been round and collected all the cat poo. I miss my green country garden.Before and after pics, it doesn't even look like the same garden but if you look at the trampoline then you can see the extent of his butchery. Any ideas on how to speedily cover the damage?

bsc Sat 20-Apr-19 11:04:40

You could put in bamboo- in pots if you don't want it to go rampant! It's tall, so will give some screening, and grows quickly. You want something pleached if it's long term though- pleached hornbeam is good, as the leaves stay on through winter (brown, like a beech hedge, and sparser, but still v much present).
Or could go for pleached Apple and pear trees if you want fruit? But slower growing, and will be wood in winter.
Also expensive if you buy maturer trees.
Hornbeam grows pretty quickly- ours grew from 3 feet to 10 in five years.

bsc Sat 20-Apr-19 11:07:13

If you want something smaller- standards of Holly, photinia (red robin), and laurel are all 'bushy' and dense and will give privacy. Also hawthorn, which is just lovely at this time of year, and good old cotoneaster or pyrocanthus should determine the cats, as they're all prickly, and dense foliage.

Stressedout10 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:07:26

Get over yourself.
Your neighbour has a right to light and can cut anything they want in their garden ,however you'll probably find that the la will have cut them down.
Poor you having to live by a council estate and be able to see there houses

SoupDragon Sat 20-Apr-19 11:08:15

I can see why you don't like it but they must have cut a significant amount of light from the neoghbour's garden so I can also completely understand why they've done it.

KissMeBunty Sat 20-Apr-19 11:09:43

Be careful with bamboo- it can go mad and is very very difficult to control.

brizzlemint Sat 20-Apr-19 11:10:13

I'd be upset as well, it's a great shame for wildlife when trees are cut down like that.

MrBrown Sat 20-Apr-19 11:11:40

Weeing on the lawn stopped cats shitting in our garden. Obviously DP had to wee in a spray bottle and we sprayed it all over , he didn't go out and just start pissing everywhere. Not great if you have DC playing out though.

lljkk Sat 20-Apr-19 11:12:30

Agree with bamboo in pots, if you're strong enough to move them around. Ours has been in 6 yrs & not escaped yet, even after being moved around.

Poplars & Leylandii, of course. Leylandii will give you screening year round.

wittyusermane Sat 20-Apr-19 11:13:23

What a shame, I'd be sad too but it must have made an enormous difference to the light and space in the other garden so I can see why they have done it.

Whose fence is it? If it's yours I'd extend the top of it with trellis and train something rampant like clematis up it.

CupcakeDrama Sat 20-Apr-19 11:14:07

I do see your point. At the moment I have a huge tree in my garden and I love it for privacy reasons as my garden backs onto someone elses. however it blocks alot of sun and from around 2pm we have no sun in the garden at all due to the tree, so I can also see why they cut it.

Unburnished Sat 20-Apr-19 11:15:15

One word - Leylandi

I can see why theyve done it - the trees were blocking his light/sun.

There’s nothing you can do about the cats except get a dog.

I planted a 5 foot bamboo tree five years ago. Its now 6 feet so not fast growing in my experience.

MRex Sat 20-Apr-19 11:15:21

We want to plant some new coverage at the back of our garden too (spindly over-tall trees that look crap in winter and sparse even in summer), so I'm following out of interest. We're nowhere near picking anything, but maybe yew hedges / cypress / photinia red robin. If you Google "evergreen tall bushes" then that might help with ideas.

MRex Sat 20-Apr-19 11:17:19

I'd also say to be very careful with bamboo, I had some run away from its concrete border at my last house, the people before put it in and it was up at the top of the second storey after 6 years so I was constantly chopping it back.

Bringbackthestripes Sat 20-Apr-19 11:19:58

he didn't go out and just start pissing everywhere
grin

bsc Sat 20-Apr-19 11:20:52

Yew is very very slow growing!

EleanorLavish Sat 20-Apr-19 11:21:34

I too am surprised at your anger,OP. They must have had hardly any light coming in to their house. Did you honestly want them to live in darkness to suit your 'countryside garden'?
However, more trees the better for me. I do understand that it looks nicer to have growth. Why not ask a proper landscaper? A hedge to cover the fence or a creeper? And then trees for height? Be careful what you pick though, they won't want to be without light again. Maybe beech trees?

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 20-Apr-19 11:21:42

Bamboo is a good call, it makes a lovely noise in the breeze. Not all bamboo is invasive/spreading so do some research to get the right kind.

cliquewhyohwhy Sat 20-Apr-19 11:22:04

Why do you have to mention council houses? They are just normal houses ffs!

Grumpelstilskin Sat 20-Apr-19 11:25:32

So, you have a nice sunny garden, unaffected by the neighbouring large trees. Errm, his side probably was plunged into dark shade most of the day. You are quite self-absorbed.

sackrifice Sat 20-Apr-19 11:28:08

Bring your trampoline and shed forward and plant your own trees?

maras2 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:29:26

OMG! A view of a council estate.
Qu'elle fromage. shock

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 20-Apr-19 11:29:27

Don’t plant Leylandii! It should be banned it’s horrible.

No wildlife likes leylandii, off you cutnit back the branches die and go brown. Sucks up all the water so nothing grows nearby. Makes the ground round it impossible to
grow anything. !

Pleached hornbeams are the best. You could also buy 4 or 5 different trees that you know won’t grow ‘too’ big and need cutting down. There are smaller eucalyptus (forgotten name) that don’t go mental but will reach their height quickly, what about Apple trees on medium root stock, or cherries or plums? Dog trees grow quite quick and can be lopped at and made denser - and not too tall.

Or put trellis over the height of the fence and grow a vigorous rose ?

saraclara Sat 20-Apr-19 11:29:37

What's the fact that it's a council estate got to do with it?

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 20-Apr-19 11:29:41

Having looked at the photos, you are massively BU! Those trees must've completely covered your neighbours' garden. Should they really have kept the trees for your convenience, when you are away for months at a time and they are presumably there full-time??!

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 20-Apr-19 11:30:27

Dog trees = fig trees!

MardyMavis Sat 20-Apr-19 11:32:59

I'd be gutted I could never cut trees down, it looks awful now.

niknac1 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:33:24

I think staggering some shrubs, so whatever you grow isn’t a line to block out their light as that would not be fair on your neighbours. How about some bee friendly buddleia. If you go to a garden centre for ideas. They must have a much more pleasant garden now so it would be anti social to block their light with fast growing leylandi.

3dogs2cats Sat 20-Apr-19 11:34:02

Yes sacrifice. I would plant a pear and a silver birch. Preached trees have their place in town garden but are a lot of work to maintain. Not leylandii

Justajot Sat 20-Apr-19 11:35:06

We have black bamboo. We planted it with mesh stuff to stop it from spreading and either it's worked or it's not that naturally invasive. We used it to plug a gap in our back border and it filled in pretty quickly.

BeardedMum Sat 20-Apr-19 11:36:47

I would have been gutted too.

viques Sat 20-Apr-19 11:37:13

I bet your neighbour is regretting cutting the trees down now he realises you have sited your kids noisiest and most intrusive activities as close to his house and as far away from your house as you can!

Looks as though you took your second picture from an upstairs window, I don't imagine you are as overlooked, or can see as much of his house (which is fine btw) when you are in your garden.

I would put trellis on top of your fence, if it is yours, and grow stuff up it and along it, it will look bare in winter but give you screening in summer.

CorlysVelaryon Sat 20-Apr-19 11:38:47

I think those trees must have completely dominated his garden so I can see why he's cut them back, but it has certainly made an enormous difference to your garden so I can also see why you are upset.

I think all you can do is move your shed and pant your own. Any garden centre will recommend something suitable.

BlueBell50 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:40:57

We inherited a garden full of leylandii, we had no light and could not grow anything else. When we cut them down the next door neighbours came round to complain that we had ruined their outlook as our trees gave them a lovely backdrop to their garden.

IHateUncleJamie Sat 20-Apr-19 11:41:16

I hate to see mature trees chopped down (except leylandii), shame for the birds and squirrels too. YANBU to be sad about the trees.

However, YABVVU to think that being a “Council Estate” has anything to do with it. The trees were in his garden and no doubt taking up way too much space and a lot of his light. His garden, his choice.

Re the cats, if the fence is yours (on your deeds) then investigate anti cat spikes. Other than that, a dog is the best deterrent.

Photinia Red Robin, tall pyracantha and cherry laurel would all be perfect at the end of your garden.

Yerroblemom1923 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:44:37

Can they tidy up their stuff? Or is it always covered in plastic toys?

GabsAlot Sat 20-Apr-19 11:45:35

if youre not there alot does it matter

HBStowe Sat 20-Apr-19 11:48:48

@Stressedout10 don’t be so fucking rude. I don’t think any normal person would choose to stare into their neighbours windows instead of at some lovely mature trees. And OP never said they weren’t entitled to cut them down, she’s just sad that they did. Where the fuck you got your sneer about council houses from is beyond me.

OP - how about some trellising higher than your fence and some pyracantha? (Sorry if that’s spelled wrong!). It grows like billy-o, has beautiful bright berries and attracts birds. I’ve got one that has grown about 4 feet in a year.

Stressedout10 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:49:46

Yerroblemom its the ops plastic crap not the neighbour's

Stressedout10 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:52:22

HBstowe perhaps you should reread the ops post and her snide comments about council estate

GFgertie Sat 20-Apr-19 11:52:44

I would be disappointed too.

To cover it quickly and inexpensively, I would start with trellis and clematis and/or honeysuckle. Then I would plant some trees which will eventually provide a screen.

mrsmuddlepies Sat 20-Apr-19 11:57:08

Photinia is fast growing and evergreen. It is at its best with red leaves in January/February so many garden centres will have reduced the large specimens now.

saraclara Sat 20-Apr-19 11:59:47

@HBstowe, it's the OP who appears to be sneering at having council houses at the bottom of her garden.

CorlysVelaryon Sat 20-Apr-19 12:01:36

"HBstowe perhaps you should reread the ops post and her snide comments about council estate."

What snide comments? This one?

"We're away a lot, for months at a time sometimes, and backing on to our garden is a council estate."

Just seems factual for me, for context. Would you be offended if she'd said 'backing on to a new housing development' or 'backing on to a row of 1970s bungalows' or 'backing on to a terrace of 1930s cottages'?

pourmeanotherglass Sat 20-Apr-19 12:03:18

I have a photinia red robin hedge at the front screening us from the main road. I planted it a couple of years ago from quite small plants, and it is now chest height. Not really fast growing, but fast enough - and it is stunning in spring when the leaves are all red.

Doobydoodah Sat 20-Apr-19 12:03:37

With no helpful suggestions at all, I would be totally gutted in your position. Completely understand .

Our bamboo sometimes grows 12 inches in a week when we're on holiday. Sometimes I swear I can see it has grown after a day trip out. We cut our own bamboo canes every year so in a pot might be an option.

N2986 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:04:18

Presumably they've cut the trees so they can have some light and you're looking to block their light back out again....hmm not great for neighbourly relations. Isn't that just part and parcel of living non- rurally?

imamum21 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:04:51

get some scent off cat repellent (they are granules) its not harmful but smells very strong, keep putting it down and will stop the cats, i had them using my driveway as a litter tray- someone moved in to a house with about 10 of them!! it does work

HiItsClemFandango Sat 20-Apr-19 12:05:11

I'd be gutted too. Your privacy has just completely gone and your garden looks totally different. Hope you get some useful advice on here

beanaseireann Sat 20-Apr-19 12:05:13

My neighbour has a bamboo hedge in his front garden. He keeps it trimmed and it has grown tall very quickly and it gives privacy.
I'd plant it.

slipperywhensparticus Sat 20-Apr-19 12:05:28

Budhlia and lions poo you get screening butterflies cat deterrent and yes they do grow big fast

AnnieMay100 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:05:31

If you did plant something tall it’s likely a complaint would force you to cut them down, councils don’t cut trees down for the sake of it as it’s a hard expensive job depending on the type. I have lots of trees at the back of my garden so I understand how you feel I love my privacy too, but there’s not a lot you can do if it’s blocking neighbours light.
As for cat crap you can buy lion poo online they’re pellets you put around your garden and it deters them from coming in. Doesn’t work for all cats but it made a big difference for us.

sashh Sat 20-Apr-19 12:06:18

SOmething I saw on a gardening program years ago, they put a sail up,just like a ship sail but bright blue, as it was 'temporary' they didn't need planning permission.

Hawthorn grows quite quickly and the cats won't like it.

SweetPetrichor Sat 20-Apr-19 12:07:48

It's a real shame to see mature trees cut down. In your position I'd get some trellis up on the fence and maybe some honeysuckle or similar to grow up the fence. Not the same but at least it'll soften up the boundary a bit.

doris9034 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:08:29

Chilli powder on the soil gets rid of cats. When we moved in there were 5 cats that used our garden as a toilet, a generous sprinkle of chilli powder all round the beds, and we've never seen a cat since!

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 20-Apr-19 12:09:05

You neighbours is a twat.

Trellis with some trachelospermum and some jasmine might help. Both grow like billy-o.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 20-Apr-19 12:10:22

And he's inflicted his tatty cats on you.

Get some water pistols and get aiming at the bastards.

AdobeWanKenobi Sat 20-Apr-19 12:11:40

I bet that lot was seriously taking light from them. Your garden is in full sun in your photo, can you imagine theirs behind it? Must have been so dark.

sashh Sat 20-Apr-19 12:12:32

programme i mean - damn

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sat 20-Apr-19 12:14:11

I have pleached laurel. I've also heard good things about pleached hornbeam. Not sure if the latter is evergreen. I keep my laurel thin (like a screen) but tall (ish). That way it remains manageable. I'm going to buy an li-ion cordless pole trimmer this year to save me clambering up ladders to prune it smile

How old are your kids? Do you need the large expanse of lawn for playing? If not you could incorporate a horizontal flowerbed and arch midway across so that your eye isn't drawn straight to the rear boundary.
I'd recommend mid-height evergreen shrubs (and climbers) and maybe trellis to create a screen either side of the arch if you down this route. Fatsia, choisya, euonymous, skimmia, ceonothus are all good for this. You can plant smaller perennials and annuals in front for colour.

Buddleia is the fastest growing thing in my garden - it absolutely shoots off but is a nuisance to keep on top of. You can cut it right back every year but then you have the problem of disposing of all the vegetation!

I'd not recommended lleylandii or bamboo whatsoever.

SusieOwl4 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:18:15

we had similar and just put up trellis with honeysuckle and bamboo in pots . but you need to check about how much watering is needed for the type of bamboo .

Dippypippy1980 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:20:01

I would be heartbroken. But they are his trees and probably ruined his garden and light. I am surrounded by huge sycamore Andy I hate them - but they do make the garden more private.

Think you are taking unnecessary abuse here, all you are asking for is solutions.

Agree bamboo in posts is the way to get to get screening this summer - trees for longer term solution.

Call into your local independent garden centre and have a chat - they will have loads of solutions

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 20-Apr-19 12:23:05

Buddleia is good solution. They grow quickly and bees and butterflies love them.

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 20-Apr-19 12:28:11

You neighbours is a twat.

Her neighbours are not twats for not wanting to sit in the dark! The people who planted the trees should have had more sense.

Buddleia will be a nightmare to keep on top of, especially with the OP being away for months at a time. The right kind of bamboo will be fine.

LagunaBubbles Sat 20-Apr-19 12:30:39

Just seems factual for me, for context. Would you be offended if she'd said 'backing on to a new housing development' or 'backing on to a row of 1970s bungalows' or 'backing on to a terrace of 1930s cottages'?

Oh come off it, there was no need for the OP to mention what type of housing she backed onto at all, it is not relevant and council housing was only mentioned as a dig at the neighbour because she's so angry at them for daring to cut down their own trees, those awful council house dwellers thst don't care about the trees. hmm

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 20-Apr-19 12:31:09

The neighbours recently bought the house, they could see the trees and the garden. They didn't have to buy it, only to start chopping trees after moving in.

So, in my opinion they are, indeed, twats.

ChiaraRimini Sat 20-Apr-19 12:31:15

You need clumping bamboo, which doesn't spread. You can google it. We had one for 10 years which did not spread anywhere.

LagunaBubbles Sat 20-Apr-19 12:31:40

You neighbours is a twat

Why? For wanting light and to be able to sit in their own garden? Yeh very twattish. hmm

LonelyTiredandLow Sat 20-Apr-19 12:41:18

Had a similar issue here and we are in a conservation area - 5 old established trees disappeared in new neighbour's garden and now I have 10 windows looking into my home sad
I've bought 2 magnolia trees which I have planted hammock width apart as they have year round leaves and apparently spread wider which should block them out more. They were £300 each which was so that they are tall enough to be fence height already - you could get a more established tree if you have more money. It's horrid when the whole area is suddenly less green, I feel for you OP.

ChristmasFluff Sat 20-Apr-19 12:49:12

I would plant a flowering cherry - they grow remarkably quickly, and are quite open so it wouldn't cut out all the neighbour's light, but it would soften the houses beyond for you. I have two because one self-seeded 5 years ago. They do self-seed, so you need to make sure you don't turn your back for too long if you only want one tree.

I'm not convinced buddleia would grow tall enough without looking leggy, and leylandii and bamboo wouldn't be things I would want in my own garden.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 20-Apr-19 12:54:41

I was going to recommend a hornbeam or two, but lots of people already have, they're very easy trees. Also mountain ash would be pretty and not too dense, and you can get them in a variety of berry colours which would be lovely if you had three or more of them.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 20-Apr-19 12:57:15

I think buddleia would be a temporary screen, while the trees OP could plant become established.

TigerTooth Sat 20-Apr-19 12:57:16

Thanks for so many great suggestions - I like bamboo, clematis and leylandi amonst others.
To those who needed to bitch - as expected - but the trees could have been cut down - to rip them out is tragic.
As for the view of the council house - well sorry, but it IS really ugly.

pisspawpatrol Sat 20-Apr-19 12:59:00

Try a few friendly cat deterrents, fresh orange peel or lemon peel along the boundary or spray any cats you see lightly with water.

I think you just have to put up with the view, unless instead of trees you could put trellis up with climbing plants like honeysuckle, climbing hydrangea and clematis. Bee and butterfly friendly, will give you back some privacy but not so dense it will block your neighbours light.

LadyRannaldini Sat 20-Apr-19 12:59:21

complain that we had ruined their outlook as our trees gave them a lovely backdrop to their garden

Ours complained that I'd eradicated the bindweed growing from our garden into a hedge, she thought it looked lovely in Autumn.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 20-Apr-19 13:00:22

Not leylandii, they would be far too big for your garden, you'd lose the whole end because they grow wide as well as tall. You need a less bushy option.

pisspawpatrol Sat 20-Apr-19 13:00:27

Dont do a buddleia, they go absolutley bonkers. We plants a 'dwarf' variety five years ago, and finally had to take it out last autumn. It had taken over half the garden. Am replacing it with other bee and butterfly friendly plants.

EleanorLavish Sat 20-Apr-19 13:01:29

I don’t think the house is ugly, it’s a perfectly normal brick house. confused
Your trampoline and garden aren’t exactly landscaped to perfection, at all!
You’re letting yourself down a bit OP.
But I do agree the fence isn’t great. Definitely a climber.

MintyCedric Sat 20-Apr-19 13:02:09

Another vote for bamboo...maybe in wheeled pots.

My friend has had a similar issue recently - she's a gardener and has gone the bamboo route.

Mapril Sat 20-Apr-19 13:04:32

As for the view of the council house - well sorry, but it IS really ugly

Yeah, totally spoils the scenery of trampoline, basketball hoop and shed grin

Miltonroad Sat 20-Apr-19 13:04:37

Lidl has sails in next week that you could rig up and attach to provide temporary screening

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sat 20-Apr-19 13:05:46

Sorry I've just seen that you want something low maintenance. You probably don't want to go down the arches and flowerbeds route grin The pp is right that layering plants is the most effective visual trick.

In which case I'd get a pleached laurel (possibly just one or two for the middle accessible bit between the trampoline and the shed, they will eventually spread laterally as well as vertically) OR get trellis put up with evergreen honeysuckle, star jasmine and pyracantha. Check how much sun the boundary gets. If it's not much you may need a shade-tolerant climber like climbing hydrangea. Plant the climbers out from the fenceline a bit (40cm if you can) and lean the plant support in towards the fence. It's very dry at the fenceline and the soil is poor - this way they get moisture and a fighting chance.

To be honest all my plants took 2+ (some 3+) years to give decent coverage so I wouldn't expect miracles immediately. If you're away a lot it probably won't feel like as long.
At least the trellis will give you a bit of privacy while the plants get going.

Our gardens have similar amounts or mature vegetation along the rear boundary. I hate to see it being removed outright as it provides habitat as well as screening (and a link to history!). I'd rather it was pruned/thinned/reduced into a manageable shape.
However I can understand people don't want to keep on top of the pruning - it's a big job unless you're dedicated or prepared to pay for someone to do it. I'm also SE facing and I do sympathise with the neighbours behind who are shaded out. Your neighbour's garden also looks shorter (or is it the perspective?) which wouldn't help.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Apr-19 13:06:00

As for the view of the council house - well sorry, but it IS really ugly.

Again, why is it at all relevant that it is a council property?

Try imagining how dark their garden must have been and think about whether you would have lived it hit. Those trees are far too big for the garden, trimming them enough to make a difference would be ridiculous.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Apr-19 13:06:35

"Lived it hit" =lived with it.

Angelicinnocent Sat 20-Apr-19 13:07:00

Can't help with gardening but to keep the cats at bay, mix a strong solution of jeyes fluid and pour it around the boundary and anywhere they might use as a toilet (gravel patches, flowerbeds etc). Lasts about 4 months if you can get a couple of dry days after doing it.

Make sure you keep the kids away from it for 24 hours though.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 20-Apr-19 13:07:01

When I moved into this house I took down some trees from my front garden because there were a lot of them and it was quite dark. One tree came down to reveal a house that we hadn't even known was there, it's on a neighbouring road and my front garden borders onto the bottom of their back garden. I doubt that they were particularly happy about that, although I've never seen them so I don't know for sure. I planted a couple of photenia red robin and within a couple of years they were pretty much fully screened from us again, but it was still brighter for us as the original tree was very dense and spreading.

HoppingPavlova Sat 20-Apr-19 13:07:31

Non-spreading bamboo. Grows really quickly. Definitely make sure it is a non-spreading variety though.

IHateUncleJamie Sat 20-Apr-19 13:08:40

Can they tidy up their stuff? Or is it always covered in plastic toys? grin

@TigerTooth NOT leylandii. They will be a nightmare for you as well as your neighbour. They leach every bit of water out of the surrounding soil and grow wide and outwards as well as tall. The only place they should be planted is at the side of a motorway.

I understand you want to get back at your neighbour but leylandii are not the way to do it.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Apr-19 13:08:58

As an aside, they don't seem to have cut down "the whole lot", there still seem to be a couple of smaller trees left. They need time to spread out in their new space and light.

Bookworm4 Sat 20-Apr-19 13:10:30

The mentioning of council estate is very snobbish, if I was him I'd have kept the trees to avoid looking at your shit tip of a garden.

BishopBrennansArse Sat 20-Apr-19 13:11:00

The house is about as ugly as your attitude, OP

IHateUncleJamie Sat 20-Apr-19 13:12:12

but the trees could have been cut down

They probably HAVE been cut down. If they’d “ripped them out” you’d know about it because the roots would be under your fence and garden.

I think the word you were looking for is pruned/trimmed/pollarded depending on the type of tree.

SilverySurfer Sat 20-Apr-19 13:14:54

I doubt the house is more ugly than your garden in the first photograph, it looks more like a rubbish dump.

Bookworm4 Sat 20-Apr-19 13:15:26

The house looks nice, Shame you can't afford to live somewhere else OP, don't be such a cunt, there's no guarantees in life that you won't be in need of a council house.

Guylian2019 Sat 20-Apr-19 13:18:18

To be honest I think it looks better now!

FaFoutis Sat 20-Apr-19 13:22:24

I'm sorry for you OP. It's hard to lose your privacy.

SachaStark Sat 20-Apr-19 13:23:36

My God, OP, but you are a snob.

Not sure why, your garden in the first photo is an absolute shit tip. Too good to tidy up after yourselves?

Grumpelstilskin Sat 20-Apr-19 13:26:21

Wow OP, the more you post, the uglier and self-centred you sound. I'd worry more about what your own garden looks like first, i.e. full of plastic shite etc That's the crappiest view!

Bookworm4 Sat 20-Apr-19 13:30:52

@grumpel @sacha
Mind in snobby land it's not a shit tip it's 'child friendly'
Obviously OP hasn't heard the one about people in glasshouses 🙄

bevelino Sat 20-Apr-19 13:31:52

OP, I think the view is far worse for the occupiers of the house overlooking your garden, which looks really messy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »