Talk

Advanced search

Taking a 12 day old baby on holiday ?

(400 Posts)
Jencottage Sat 20-Apr-19 08:15:22

Desperate to get away as feel like I've been exhausted all third trimester, have a 8 year old daughter who would love a holiday, hubby coming along too. I've found an amazing deal in Sardinia, 7 nights at half term, full board and kids club for the 9 year old and golf for hubby. Me and baby could be on the beach all day chilling ! It's a 3.5 hour flight, shall I book it or is baby too young ? What would you do ?!?

sweetpea2811 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:26:25

I had a c section,did get discharged from the hospital for a week and then I didn't get up from the sofa unless it was to go to the toilet for a week after. On day 14 I managed to go out for lunch for about an hour and it absolutely exhausted me. I couldn't think of anything worse than being in a busy airport etc all that walking. I think you may he under estimating recovery time.

RandomWok Sat 20-Apr-19 08:26:45

Is there an increased risk of blood clots of you fly so soon after a c section? I had to inject myself for 2 weeks after with blood thinners and wear sexy compression socks for at least 6 weeks. I have no idea it's a genuine question. I would have felt up for it when I had my 2nd was back doing the school run by then.

Ginger1982 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:27:06

Ooft, 3.5 hour flight on Ryan Air 12 days post section? Rather you than me! I lost loads of blood after mine and I could barely walk let alone fly. Plus, I know you say you've been tired the last 4 weeks but you're going to be tired post birth too! I honestly wouldn't even contemplate this.

Userwhatevernumber Sat 20-Apr-19 08:27:22

I’m not sure if I would to be honest...,,

My friend recently had a planned C section...she wanted to fly with her baby as soon as possible because her DH was abroad and she wanted to take baby to see him (he wasn’t able to get time off to come over).
She wasn’t given the medical all clear until 14 days - and her C sec was relatively straightforward with no complications. There was a slight. Delay with the baby’s passport too.
In the end, she travelled when her baby was 3 weeks old.
She travelled with her mum, who went with her so she would carry baby and her DM could carry the bags etc. she still said that it was the one of the most difficult things she had done because she was still feeling so tired and tender from the birth and the stress of all the preparations and said that in hindsight she wishes she had left it another 1 or 2 weeks.

Silversky70 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:27:59

Leave it a bit and take the 9 year old out of school for a week?

SRK16 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:28:21

Sorry but I think it’s too soon after the birth, I don’t think you’re meant to fly for about a month after a c-section. I’d also be cautious about taking such a tiny baby on a plane (they are such germy environments) when it’s not necessary.
Speak to your midwife/doctor and see what they advise? Why not try and find a seaside uk break instead?

TruffleShuffles Sat 20-Apr-19 08:28:47

Are you sure you would get a passport in time? That seems a very short time frame.

Nanny0gg Sat 20-Apr-19 08:29:18

I can't imagine taking a new born on a plane-their poor ears! What if it cries the whole trip?
It could potentially be pretty hot too. Your husband goes to play golf, how much chillin you going to be doing?

Coldilox Sat 20-Apr-19 08:29:23

I wouldn’t take an unvaccinated baby on a plane. Probably being too over cautious but it was the first thing that came into my head. Followed by the horror of doing that journey 12 hours post c-section.

spagbowlexplosion Sat 20-Apr-19 08:30:11

Sounds amazing! But I had serious complications after my last c section that were only discovered 2 weeks later when I was rushed to hospital, I’m not sure I’d want to risk something like that on a plane! I know it’s rare but c sections can so so hard on your body

MonsterKidz Sat 20-Apr-19 08:32:57

It’s down to you personally.

Babies are very portable, especially when young.

For me this would be too young and soon after giving birth. I’m all up for traveling with kids, but I think a few more months would be ideal.

Personally, what would put me off would be having the baby without any vaccinations traveling, me feeling hormonal, still bleeding and recovering from birth and not really feeling my best to enjoy a holiday like that. You say you and baby can chill on the beach but in reality you can’t have a newborn baby on the beach all day!

Just my thoughts. I’d wait and plan a trip for summer holidays when baby a bit older.

Disfordarkchocolate Sat 20-Apr-19 08:33:38

Will you be even able to get a birth certificate at that time, in some areas, there is a wait for appointments.

Nanny0gg Sat 20-Apr-19 08:33:39

Might have a problem with travel insurance too.

Thinking about it, it doesn't sound remotely like a rest

werideatdawn Sat 20-Apr-19 08:33:52

I think it sounds insane.
12 days post surgery
12 day old on germ filled plane
What about any appointments that might crop up? We had to get DD tongue tie snipped at hospital when she was two weeks old..

Shadycorner Sat 20-Apr-19 08:34:06

see the para about post natal check after C-section

Flustercluck Sat 20-Apr-19 08:35:14

You sound pretty sure it’s what you would like to do. So if the logistics work why not?

It’s the absolute opposite of what I would have wanted to do 2 weeks after the birth of my 2. And mine were straightforward births with no abdominal surgery. My own bed and house were the things I needed.

Scottishgirl85 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:35:23

I was very active after both my sections, days out and a wedding when baby was just a couple of weeks etc. But no way I'd have got on a 3.5 hour flight and a week abroad. The reality of that could be hideous, and in the extreme, down right dangerous! You're at high risk of blood clots after surgery, infection etc, and baby could have issues too (feeding, tongue tie, jaundice etc). A newborn baby can't sit in the sun, you won't be on the beach, you'll surely be hiding indoors? I just can't get over the risk of requiring medical attention for you or baby whilst abroad. Why not go somewhere in UK?

MightyAtlantic Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:14

You would be mad to do this, for all the reasons PP have given, and probably more. Seriously, don't book it. You can come back and thank us all when your baby is 12 days old. wink

MaverickSnoopy Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:14

Speak to your midwives about any risks of flying post c section. Also check with your insurances. You say the airline are fine and you can get a passport.

Will you be breast or bottle feeding? If breast be mindful that you might need support. Also be mindful that childbirth is not always straightforward. My 3rd needed readmitting to hospital when she was 4 days old for a week.

Finally I'd be thinking about the people in the room next door. If you have a non settling newborn you could really ruin their holiday. What if baby has colic or reflux or anything else that needs support? My 3rd had cmpa and we needed to switch to a prescribed formula and I went dairy free - likely impossible on holiday.

I guess it comes down to how risk averse you are.

Graceymac99 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:50

I wouldn’t take the unnecessary risk either with yourself or such a young baby if it can be avoided. I always get some kind of virus after flying, every single time and my immune system is far more developed than your little ones will be.

Shadycorner Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:52

Also babies can no longer travel on parents passport so you would need to apply for one within a very short space of time.

HerSymphonyAndSong Sat 20-Apr-19 08:37:25

Going on holiday sounds more exhausting than recovering at home to me

trampolinebouncer Sat 20-Apr-19 08:38:48

Ask your midwife & or consultant what they think.
A few things to think about:
Chicken pox & other illnesses you can pick up in normal life but are easier to pick up at airports on planes are dangerous to newborns.
The heat even out of direct sun on the beach could be very dangerous to a newborn who can dehydrated easily.
Your risk of blood clots will be much higher & the plane will increase that.
You may not get insurance for you or baby - worth checking now?
You may not be discharged from MW if baby is not birth weight or if any other issues. My baby is 16 days old & MW has not discharged us yet & we have been sent to A&E twice to check baby after a MW visit for various things - what if something came up when you are away?
Overall I would enjoy half term at home & plan a holiday in the Summer or post 6 weeks.

Nothininmenoggin Sat 20-Apr-19 08:39:02

I am a midwife I'd say no for all the reasons previous posters have given also some airlines may not let you travel until you have seen GP at your 6 week check up and you both have the all clear. Better to holiday when baby is a bit older really once it's built up it's immune system. Aeroplanes are notoriously germridden.

CottonSock Sat 20-Apr-19 08:39:21

Afterpains, leaking boobs, risk of clots etc. Can't you book a luxury UK holiday?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »