Talk

Advanced search

Taking a 12 day old baby on holiday ?

(400 Posts)
Jencottage Sat 20-Apr-19 08:15:22

Desperate to get away as feel like I've been exhausted all third trimester, have a 8 year old daughter who would love a holiday, hubby coming along too. I've found an amazing deal in Sardinia, 7 nights at half term, full board and kids club for the 9 year old and golf for hubby. Me and baby could be on the beach all day chilling ! It's a 3.5 hour flight, shall I book it or is baby too young ? What would you do ?!?

Strugglingmum73 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:16:57

Would you be able to get a passport in time? What if the baby is late?

Mamimawr Sat 20-Apr-19 08:17:06

Will you be able to get a passport? Has the baby been born yet?

FindYourCentre Sat 20-Apr-19 08:18:51

What if the babys late? What if you have a c section?

Jencottage Sat 20-Apr-19 08:18:53

Baby has a planned csection date and yes I could get passport in time.

IceRebel Sat 20-Apr-19 08:19:39

Personally I think it sounds like absolute madness. Unless you're booked in for a C section baby could be younger than 12 days. If it is a C section you'll still be recovering from surgery.

Even the smoothest birth would still leave you looking and feeling like a zombie, not to mention the shock of having a newborn again for the first time in 8 or 9 (you changed your child's age) years.

I wouldn't even be making a trip to the seaside at 12 days old.

nancy75 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:20:00

Are you allowed to fly 12 days after a c section?

Poppiesway1 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:20:56

If midwife / drs give you all clear to go then go.
If not.. don’t go.
Only thing is will they take your daughter in the club if she’s only 8? Or will she be 9 by the time your there?

Amanduh Sat 20-Apr-19 08:21:25

I absolutely would!

bokkleorandoove Sat 20-Apr-19 08:21:29

Most (all?) airlines say baby has to be 14 days old - I don’t think they’d let you on the plane.

chipsandpie Sat 20-Apr-19 08:21:34

There is no way I could have done it. Sounds perfect but ok reality would be a night mare.

Smarshian Sat 20-Apr-19 08:21:50

Most airlines won’t accept babies less than 14 days old. Can you find one for a week later? It’ll also give you a bit more time to recover from your section.

VanCleefArpels Sat 20-Apr-19 08:22:20

Your insurer might have something to say about travelling so soon after major abdominal surgery.

Wheresmyvagina Sat 20-Apr-19 08:22:26

Sounds horrible but you've had a baby before so presumably you know if you would enjoy it.

LL83 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:22:30

If money isn't an issue and you could drop the holiday if you dont feel up to it or baby is in hospital then book it. But I would say there is a good chance you wont want to go.

If it were me I would focus on looking for another deal a little later in year.

PiratesTea Sat 20-Apr-19 08:23:16

No a chance on this Earth I would do this, but if it works for you do it

Candleglow7475 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:24:05

Have you had a c section before? I have and sitting on a plane for a couple of hours post c section would not be on my list of things to do. The wound is likely to still be a bit weepy and still sore, mine came open a bit at the end after 2 weeks, and needed to get medical attention / antibiotics. Coupled with a newborn - I’m afraid it sounds like madness to me.

PodgeBod Sat 20-Apr-19 08:24:33

I really wouldn't. Just thinking back to when I had my first by c section, within the first couple of weeks I had an infection that required treatment and also had to take her for scans for a condition that wasnt apparent until she was born. Have you had a c section before, do you know what to expect in terms of recovery?

BarbarianMum Sat 20-Apr-19 08:24:35

Personally I wouldnt be travelling anywhere with a baby in the first 3 weeks. Id want to be totally sure weight gain was going Ok, any jaundice cleared up etc. And also that your recovery from section was going well. Id also worry about thrombosis if flying so soon after major surgery.

If you do decide to go please make sure you have iron clad insurance and that you tell them everything regarding your and the baby's health /birth so you dont end up with a disallowed claim if there is a problem.

HonniBee Sat 20-Apr-19 08:24:39

I think I would worry about the number of germs in an aeroplane with a pre-jab baby! Sounds tempting but I fear it would not be so idyllic in reality.

bokkleorandoove Sat 20-Apr-19 08:24:48

I meant less than 14 days without medical sign off - I don’t think many doctors would sign off a baby that young to fly

EsmeeMerlin Sat 20-Apr-19 08:25:01

You have no idea how your recovery could be after your c-section or if there are any complications. I had a planned c-section with my youngest and there was complications with his breathing, all fine in the end but it did mean we were in hospital longer than expected so personally I would not.

Jencottage Sat 20-Apr-19 08:25:15

The flight is with ryan air and they have a minimum age of 8 days. PP may be right and it's utter madness but so is spending the last 4 weeks feeling absolutely knackered. I just want a bit of guaranteed sun and fun for the family for a week. Prev birth was an emergency c section and soon to be 9 year old can, and would love, going to the kids club there !

Nothininmenoggin Sat 20-Apr-19 08:25:30

You are very brave after major abdominal surgery to get on a flight with a 12 day old baby. I'm sure you would have baby well out of the sun but I noticed that you said you and baby could chill all day on the beach. Not ideal for a baby this young.

PodgeBod Sat 20-Apr-19 08:25:45

Also I wouldn't take such a small baby on a germ filled plane unless absolutely necessary

sweetpea2811 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:26:25

I had a c section,did get discharged from the hospital for a week and then I didn't get up from the sofa unless it was to go to the toilet for a week after. On day 14 I managed to go out for lunch for about an hour and it absolutely exhausted me. I couldn't think of anything worse than being in a busy airport etc all that walking. I think you may he under estimating recovery time.

RandomWok Sat 20-Apr-19 08:26:45

Is there an increased risk of blood clots of you fly so soon after a c section? I had to inject myself for 2 weeks after with blood thinners and wear sexy compression socks for at least 6 weeks. I have no idea it's a genuine question. I would have felt up for it when I had my 2nd was back doing the school run by then.

Ginger1982 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:27:06

Ooft, 3.5 hour flight on Ryan Air 12 days post section? Rather you than me! I lost loads of blood after mine and I could barely walk let alone fly. Plus, I know you say you've been tired the last 4 weeks but you're going to be tired post birth too! I honestly wouldn't even contemplate this.

Userwhatevernumber Sat 20-Apr-19 08:27:22

I’m not sure if I would to be honest...,,

My friend recently had a planned C section...she wanted to fly with her baby as soon as possible because her DH was abroad and she wanted to take baby to see him (he wasn’t able to get time off to come over).
She wasn’t given the medical all clear until 14 days - and her C sec was relatively straightforward with no complications. There was a slight. Delay with the baby’s passport too.
In the end, she travelled when her baby was 3 weeks old.
She travelled with her mum, who went with her so she would carry baby and her DM could carry the bags etc. she still said that it was the one of the most difficult things she had done because she was still feeling so tired and tender from the birth and the stress of all the preparations and said that in hindsight she wishes she had left it another 1 or 2 weeks.

Silversky70 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:27:59

Leave it a bit and take the 9 year old out of school for a week?

SRK16 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:28:21

Sorry but I think it’s too soon after the birth, I don’t think you’re meant to fly for about a month after a c-section. I’d also be cautious about taking such a tiny baby on a plane (they are such germy environments) when it’s not necessary.
Speak to your midwife/doctor and see what they advise? Why not try and find a seaside uk break instead?

TruffleShuffles Sat 20-Apr-19 08:28:47

Are you sure you would get a passport in time? That seems a very short time frame.

Nanny0gg Sat 20-Apr-19 08:29:18

I can't imagine taking a new born on a plane-their poor ears! What if it cries the whole trip?
It could potentially be pretty hot too. Your husband goes to play golf, how much chillin you going to be doing?

Coldilox Sat 20-Apr-19 08:29:23

I wouldn’t take an unvaccinated baby on a plane. Probably being too over cautious but it was the first thing that came into my head. Followed by the horror of doing that journey 12 hours post c-section.

spagbowlexplosion Sat 20-Apr-19 08:30:11

Sounds amazing! But I had serious complications after my last c section that were only discovered 2 weeks later when I was rushed to hospital, I’m not sure I’d want to risk something like that on a plane! I know it’s rare but c sections can so so hard on your body

MonsterKidz Sat 20-Apr-19 08:32:57

It’s down to you personally.

Babies are very portable, especially when young.

For me this would be too young and soon after giving birth. I’m all up for traveling with kids, but I think a few more months would be ideal.

Personally, what would put me off would be having the baby without any vaccinations traveling, me feeling hormonal, still bleeding and recovering from birth and not really feeling my best to enjoy a holiday like that. You say you and baby can chill on the beach but in reality you can’t have a newborn baby on the beach all day!

Just my thoughts. I’d wait and plan a trip for summer holidays when baby a bit older.

Disfordarkchocolate Sat 20-Apr-19 08:33:38

Will you be even able to get a birth certificate at that time, in some areas, there is a wait for appointments.

Nanny0gg Sat 20-Apr-19 08:33:39

Might have a problem with travel insurance too.

Thinking about it, it doesn't sound remotely like a rest

werideatdawn Sat 20-Apr-19 08:33:52

I think it sounds insane.
12 days post surgery
12 day old on germ filled plane
What about any appointments that might crop up? We had to get DD tongue tie snipped at hospital when she was two weeks old..

Shadycorner Sat 20-Apr-19 08:34:06

see the para about post natal check after C-section

Flustercluck Sat 20-Apr-19 08:35:14

You sound pretty sure it’s what you would like to do. So if the logistics work why not?

It’s the absolute opposite of what I would have wanted to do 2 weeks after the birth of my 2. And mine were straightforward births with no abdominal surgery. My own bed and house were the things I needed.

Scottishgirl85 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:35:23

I was very active after both my sections, days out and a wedding when baby was just a couple of weeks etc. But no way I'd have got on a 3.5 hour flight and a week abroad. The reality of that could be hideous, and in the extreme, down right dangerous! You're at high risk of blood clots after surgery, infection etc, and baby could have issues too (feeding, tongue tie, jaundice etc). A newborn baby can't sit in the sun, you won't be on the beach, you'll surely be hiding indoors? I just can't get over the risk of requiring medical attention for you or baby whilst abroad. Why not go somewhere in UK?

MightyAtlantic Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:14

You would be mad to do this, for all the reasons PP have given, and probably more. Seriously, don't book it. You can come back and thank us all when your baby is 12 days old. wink

MaverickSnoopy Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:14

Speak to your midwives about any risks of flying post c section. Also check with your insurances. You say the airline are fine and you can get a passport.

Will you be breast or bottle feeding? If breast be mindful that you might need support. Also be mindful that childbirth is not always straightforward. My 3rd needed readmitting to hospital when she was 4 days old for a week.

Finally I'd be thinking about the people in the room next door. If you have a non settling newborn you could really ruin their holiday. What if baby has colic or reflux or anything else that needs support? My 3rd had cmpa and we needed to switch to a prescribed formula and I went dairy free - likely impossible on holiday.

I guess it comes down to how risk averse you are.

Graceymac99 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:50

I wouldn’t take the unnecessary risk either with yourself or such a young baby if it can be avoided. I always get some kind of virus after flying, every single time and my immune system is far more developed than your little ones will be.

Shadycorner Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:52

Also babies can no longer travel on parents passport so you would need to apply for one within a very short space of time.

HerSymphonyAndSong Sat 20-Apr-19 08:37:25

Going on holiday sounds more exhausting than recovering at home to me

trampolinebouncer Sat 20-Apr-19 08:38:48

Ask your midwife & or consultant what they think.
A few things to think about:
Chicken pox & other illnesses you can pick up in normal life but are easier to pick up at airports on planes are dangerous to newborns.
The heat even out of direct sun on the beach could be very dangerous to a newborn who can dehydrated easily.
Your risk of blood clots will be much higher & the plane will increase that.
You may not get insurance for you or baby - worth checking now?
You may not be discharged from MW if baby is not birth weight or if any other issues. My baby is 16 days old & MW has not discharged us yet & we have been sent to A&E twice to check baby after a MW visit for various things - what if something came up when you are away?
Overall I would enjoy half term at home & plan a holiday in the Summer or post 6 weeks.

Nothininmenoggin Sat 20-Apr-19 08:39:02

I am a midwife I'd say no for all the reasons previous posters have given also some airlines may not let you travel until you have seen GP at your 6 week check up and you both have the all clear. Better to holiday when baby is a bit older really once it's built up it's immune system. Aeroplanes are notoriously germridden.

CottonSock Sat 20-Apr-19 08:39:21

Afterpains, leaking boobs, risk of clots etc. Can't you book a luxury UK holiday?

Serin Sat 20-Apr-19 08:39:31

I like your spirit but TBH I wouldn't even consider a weekend at the Watergatebay hotel with a 12 day old (and I love it there).

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Apr-19 08:39:39

To get a passport you need a birth certificate surely? And to get a birth certificate you need a registrar's appointment? Seems like an awful lot to fit in alongside C section recovery etc in 12 days.

I have had 2 c sec. Recovery from the second was much harder that the first. I could barely stand up straight for 9 weeks. I was certainly good for nothing but pottering round in my PJs and feeding the baby for 2 or 3 weeks.

Xyzzzzz Sat 20-Apr-19 08:39:56

Ryanair would put me off lol

spreadingchestnuttree Sat 20-Apr-19 08:40:36

At that young age babies sometime spend the entire night crying. I'd want to be in a cottage or villa, not in an apartment or hotel room where other guests would be disturbed.

Other than that, I guess check with your insurers to make sure you'd be fully covered for any complications.

If I'm honest I think I'd either wait or book a UK cottage.

cockadoodledooooo Sat 20-Apr-19 08:41:40

I wouldn't book anything until after the birth. Even with a planned c section, emergencies are priority and your date may change.

TENDTOprocrastinate Sat 20-Apr-19 08:41:44

YABU! What’s the rush?? Wait till the baby is at lease 2/3 months and then go.

Birdie6 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:42:29

Putting the seat belt on, over your csection incision, would be awful ! And the idea that you could "chill on the beach all day" with a newborn is just out of my imagination. In your position I'd send DH and DD on the holiday and I'd stay home and "chill all day" with the baby there.

Acis Sat 20-Apr-19 08:43:06

Remember the C section this time will be through scar tissue, so it won't heal as easily as last time. I think you'd bitterly regret going for this. Start looking at deals in July.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 20-Apr-19 08:43:29

It took us 12 days to get an appointment to register our baby so no idea how u could guarantee a passport in time.
Ive just come back from a short trip where we went on Ryanair-that small a seat (you will have to be jammed up on the window seat with a baby) recovering from surgery with a baby- no!

Booboostwo Sat 20-Apr-19 08:43:45

It is possible but you have to be a bit lucky.

With DD we flew home when she was 4 weeks old. We could have gone earlier but her passport was delayed.

With DS we flew home when he was 2 weeks old.

Both were ELCS and my doctor was fine with me traveling. Pediatrician was also fine with DC traveling from 1 week old. I had a very straight forward recovery and was carrying the baby both times in a sling from the end of week 1, sorting out the passport (multiple visits to various offices - not UK).

However, if your recovery is not straight forward you'd risk loosing quite a bit of money on this holiday. Also keep in mind that newborns have to be kept out of the sun and can overheat easily so your dreams of relaxing on the beach may not be possible.

lablablab Sat 20-Apr-19 08:43:52

I've had 2 c-sections and thought of packing for a holiday, the busy airport, the packed aeroplane full of germs, feeding, the nappies and being in a very hot country while still bleeding and with a sweaty c-section wound has made me almost want to vomit!!

You're totally mad imo! Sorry! confused

I'd even question if the airline would let you fly that soon after surgery?!

Thatsnotmyotter Sat 20-Apr-19 08:44:13

I felt great at 12 days post-section and probably would have loved a holiday tbh! My main issues would be: sitting on an uncomfortable plane for 3.5 hours, getting a passport in time, keeping baby out of the sun, not being able to swim to cool down and constantly having to wear a big fat sanitary towel.

Actually on reflection a holiday where I couldn’t swim would be miserable for me.

whatswithtodaytoday Sat 20-Apr-19 08:45:56

12 days after my baby was born we were back in hospital due to weight loss and feeding difficulties. I was still in a lot of pain with my wound, even though it was healing well. The last thing I would have wanted is a flight.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Sat 20-Apr-19 08:46:32

What everyone is too polite to say - What strength glue are you on OP?
As someone who has had 3 CS, there would be no way I'd contemplate this. You may be knackered, needing a holiday etc, but you will be recovering from major surgery, with a tiny baby, in a hot country, air plane, passport, trying to establish feeds, potentially sleepless nights etc. Fuck to the no X 100.

Janleverton Sat 20-Apr-19 08:47:52

I couldn’t get an appointment for the registrar within 2 weeks of any of my three births. So getting a passport could be more tricky than you imagine. Particularly as you’ll be hitting their busy period.

The baby won’t have had any of their vaccinations.

What would your travel insurer say to the flight in terms of your cover and would a travel insurer cover a baby less than 2 weeks old.

I think it sounds like madness to me.

TriciaH87 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:48:04

12 days after a planned section.... You will not be fit to fly let alone your baby. If you so much as pull a stitch on the flight if the plane hits turbulence you could be in real trouble. Let alone if your wound gets infected from sand. Your not aloud to drive for 6 weeks I doubt your allowed to fly for the same reasons. Would you really risk your life and leaving a new baby without a mother because you can't wait for a holiday.

Janleverton Sat 20-Apr-19 08:49:05

And the locchia. And no swimming (as pp has mentioned). And boiling hot.

endofthelinefinally Sat 20-Apr-19 08:49:36

I doubt you would get a fit to fly certificate or insurance 12 days post section. You are at increased risk of dvt/ pe for 6 weeks.

thethoughtfox Sat 20-Apr-19 08:49:41

There is no guarantee of fun in the sun after surgery with a newborn.

IceRebel Sat 20-Apr-19 08:50:58

@Jencottage yes I could get passport in time.

You can't know that for definite.

Isadora2007 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:51:32

Logistically it just isn’t possible. Which day do you get a passport photo of baby taken? Which day do you get the BC required for the passport? Children’s passports can’t be done as fast track single day ones so a week is minimum for that-
Day 1-born
Day 3 likely earliest discharge, take photo
Day 4 birth certificate and fill in passport forms
Still leaves it too short as you need to post forms for passport- arriving day 5 plus 7 days is your day 12

And that hasn’t allowed for any unforeseen medical issues cropping up for you or baby.

The warmer weather is coming now anyway and your child will be at school so you can rest and take your time with your new baby. If you’re that desperate for a holiday you could even book a sneaky break to centre parks and take your kid off school.

megletthesecond Sat 20-Apr-19 08:51:50

If this is real hmm then don't do it. Look after your health.

TapasForTwo Sat 20-Apr-19 08:52:50

Pros

Cons
1. Birth certificate
2. Passport
3. Insurance
4. Your health risks
5. Health risks to the baby
6. Ryanair
7. Will you even be allowed to fly so soon after major abdominal surgery?

It's a no from me.

BertieBotts Sat 20-Apr-19 08:53:32

I had a baby with a 10 year gap. I can promise you, you have forgotten what newborns are like. 2 month old, absolutely. 2 week old, no.

The airport alone would be hellish. You're not meant to be carrying heavy bags so soon after surgery either.

Mix56 Sat 20-Apr-19 08:54:00

You will be chilling on the beach all day ? really ?

Hugtheduggee Sat 20-Apr-19 08:55:03

I'm currently in day 5 after section (second one), and could manage it relatively pain free now, give it another week and I'd be fine I'm sure. I'm not going on a run anytime soon, but fine pottering, going out etc, and the idea is doing that in a sunnier climate sounds bliss. I did a good couple of hours in the car yesterday without any pain, I don't see the difference with a plane.

If I could get a passport for a couple of weeks time, I'd be tempted.

But

Things like increased clotting risk, a possible germy plane for such a young baby, the possibility of some complications to either of you and the possibility of still bleeding so you couldn't swim would make me tempted to hold off for a few weeks.

But equally if you wanted to make a go of it, and you are confident of your recovery, then go for it.

Shadycorner Sat 20-Apr-19 08:55:25

I "get" it op. Atm you are feeling tired and hemmed in by your pregnancy. I remember that slightly claustrophobic feeling when I felt like a whale, like I couldn't breathe properly and could only sleep sitting up! It wasn't pleasant.

But I reckon you will be feeling completely different post birth. What would feel great now, will feel completely the opposite (probably!) post C-section.

I'd personally book the trip for the summer holidays if you can.

LynetteScavo Sat 20-Apr-19 08:56:23

I wouldn't go. It sounds like hell. But then I like my home comforts. My luggage allowance would probably be taken up just with my own pillows 12 days after giving birth.

There are so many reasons not to...

YouBumder Sat 20-Apr-19 08:56:44

It doesn’t really sound sensible or even doable, sorry.

Orangeballon Sat 20-Apr-19 08:57:35

No way would I do this. Hygiene for baby in heat at early age etc.

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Sat 20-Apr-19 08:57:37

Good grief, no.

My third was with an 8-year gap between her and the second, I had a fast birth and walked home with her in the sling 4 hours after giving birth, felt fit as a fiddle afterwards but I wouldn't have even contemplated this.

If your dh has the time to go on holiday, he does absolutely everything at home for that period and you rest there. You don't need to get 'away' to recover.

spreadingchestnuttree Sat 20-Apr-19 08:58:09

If you do book it and have an amazing time, please come back and update us grin

Caterinaballerina Sat 20-Apr-19 08:58:17

I think all previous posters have covered the long list of cons to this idea so I’ll just share with you that having a newborn and another child is notably easier than those last few weeks of pregnancy. Someone said this to me who had another baby shortly before I did and I was sceptical but she was right. The tiredness is a different kind, your older child will be so excited by the baby and the weather is looking up. You’ll be able to make the most of the UK and gentle days out and then have a holiday in the summer, look at booking that but not the 12 days after.

BertieBotts Sat 20-Apr-19 08:58:26

And with Ryanair that means hand luggage only which you'll carry all the way to the gate, just to have it put in the hold and have to wait at baggage claim. Long long queues on the tarmac etc. Holding 3x suitcases and the baby. Clambering up rickety metal steps etc. 8/9yo will be bored and getting silly. Security also will be a nightmare.

Full sized pushchair because baby will be too little for a stroller. Lugging that around too.

It will be sweltering at half term too and crammed. Not so relaxing on the beach.

TapasForTwo Sat 20-Apr-19 08:59:29

Just read thst most doctors advise waiting 3 to 4 weeks after c section surgery.

Nameusernameuser Sat 20-Apr-19 09:01:00

What about babies injections? Not sure I'd take an unvaccinated baby on a plane.

Ihatehashtags Sat 20-Apr-19 09:01:00

12 days after c-section??? Not a chance in hell I’d be getting on a plane.

LaurieMarlow Sat 20-Apr-19 09:01:56

I’m normally gung ho about this stuff but I can’t see how it would work with such a small baby.

There could be complications from the section, you’d still be establishing bfing, the baby’s still very vulnerable. There’s no way I’d want to be negotiating a plane in those circumstances.

Could you book something for 3/4 months in instead?

misper Sat 20-Apr-19 09:02:15

You are bringing a new life into the world who needs the best support you can give them (and for yourself too!) You need to face it that no-one is going to be having much 'fun' in the traditional sense as you will likely be up all night, dealing with feeding, hormones, post-surgery pain. There is no way on God's green earth I would consider this! Wait a few weeks or months!
Also Ryanair is unlikely to be conducive to a relaxing holiday...

MammaMia19 Sat 20-Apr-19 09:02:18

I really wouldn't. You could have complications from the c section and travel insurance wouldn't pay out if you couldn't go.
What if you picked up an infection and the wound came open and they refused to let you fly home. C section wound and a sweaty sandy beach!??? Doesn't sound the best combination.
What happens if baby gets ill whilst away, I wouldn't want a new born in a hotel cot either. Also I went away with a 8 month old last year and we all picked up d&v bug on the plane, everyone was fine after 2 days except the baby had it the whole week. A 12 day old might not be able to cope with that.

WishUponAStar88 Sat 20-Apr-19 09:02:59

I went away when my dc2 was a week old and it was a amazing - no unexpected visitors popping in, no housework. But it was a U.K. holiday. It’s a hell no to an abroad holiday at that age from me! There are so many germs on a plane for a baby that age plus the radiation. So many reasons why not tbh, I really really would just wait a couple of months.

Dumdedumdedum Sat 20-Apr-19 09:03:47

No way I would book that, for all the reasons mentioned above. Not least, exposing your unvaccinated new-born to heaven knows what on the flight.

Hotterthanahotthing Sat 20-Apr-19 09:03:57

I remember it being a hot summer the year my dd was born.I spent a lot of it inside as it was too hot for her as a baby so a hot beach is not going to work.

Smile19 Sat 20-Apr-19 09:04:35

I wouldn't. My 1st planned section was a dream I would def been able to do this and it would have been awesome. However.....my 2nd planned section was horrible and it look me months to recover. No way I could have managed it. I personally therefore wouldn't take the risk of losing all the money and book something later on in the year.

What ever you decide best wishes and good luck.

InceyWinceyette Sat 20-Apr-19 09:04:37

In our borough you can to wait about 10 days for an appointment to register a birth.

TeddybearBaby Sat 20-Apr-19 09:05:50

I can tell you want something to look forward to and it sounds like you’re struggling atm. I’m not sure how much fun being abroad in the heat and sand would be with a c section would, sore boobs and still bleeding. How about booking a cottage or somewhere in this country - we’re having lovely weather atm. You’ll still have something to look forward to or book something in the summer holidays if that’s doable. Congratulations by the way!

Neolara Sat 20-Apr-19 09:06:29

Chilling on the beach = sand in the wound. Ouch!

You are completely bonkers if you are genuinely thinking about this for all the reasons people have said.

On the plus side, it really does seem to prove the point that it's possible to forget the horrors of giving birth and life with a newborn.

Cornettoninja Sat 20-Apr-19 09:06:40

If you took the baby out of the equation you’re actually planning to go on holiday after major surgery. Based on that fact only would you be planning on flying and travelling in those circumstances? The blood clot risks alone would make it inadvisable for anyone who had just had open abdominal surgery.

It’s a good plan for a couple of months down the line I think.

As a digression I do think women are fed the line that pregnancy and birth are not ‘illnesses’ to the point that they take unnecessary risks. It’s all well and good if you feel up to it at the time but actually, biologically, your body has been through and will continue to go through a hell of a lot. Remove the baby from the scenario and any other medical condition with the same stresses on the body would probably land you in hospital for a week with rehabilitation courses afterwards!

Longdistance Sat 20-Apr-19 09:06:43

You won’t be able to fly after a c section that quickly. Your body expands in the air when flying, so any stitches/wound would possibly split. Not great.

EncroachingLoaf Sat 20-Apr-19 09:07:31

As someone who's had 2 csections- one emergency and one planned, I wouldn't contemplate doing this.

I thought I was ok at around day 12 but then I did too much and really set my recovery back the first time.

Chilling on the beach? More like struggling to move around/carry anything, bleeding and leaking, sleep deprived and trying to establish feeding.

Sorry but I think you've forgotten what newborns AND c-section scars are like for the first few weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »