Talk

Advanced search

To speak to my neighbours about their children?

(42 Posts)
BigHero4 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:07:44

I'm not usually one to moan and obviously it's a lovely day and their children should be in the garden having fun however they have 2 DC and all they want to do is climb up their fence (it's a high privacy fence) and look into my garden. Every time I'm in the garden their sitting on the fence and watch everything I do. They say hello and just sit there all the time but the neighbours don't ask them to get down or to stop looking into my garden.

I want to go outside and have a cigarette in peace but I can't because they're always climbing up and watching me.

WIBU to ask the neighbours to stop them or am I being miserable?

BiscuitDrama Fri 19-Apr-19 16:09:01

Have you told them to get down?

flapjackfairy Fri 19-Apr-19 16:09:04

No not miserable at all. I would be well hacked off over this .

Sexnotgender Fri 19-Apr-19 16:10:38

Definitely tell them (nicely) to sod off. That’d do my head in.

TheInebriati Fri 19-Apr-19 16:10:44

Thats really anti social, but good luck with their parents because people who weren't trying to pick a fight would have dealt with it by now.

Maybe smear something on the fence, like oil or garlic.

ANiceLuxury Fri 19-Apr-19 16:11:19

Neighbours kids can be a nuisance!

My dd who is 6 has the kids knocking on all the time. Then they want to play in ours which i hate. They knock on repeatedly when they know she doesnt play out on a school night etc.

I would just carry on with what you are doing, if your not interacting with them then they will soon see that watching you is boring.

Katiepoes Fri 19-Apr-19 16:12:26

Offer them a fag and the neighbour will stop them immediately grin

ComedicCat Fri 19-Apr-19 16:15:12

Get a super soaker grin
Only jesting. Ask them to get down.

HomeMadeMadness Fri 19-Apr-19 16:16:10

lol I was also going to suggest offering them each a can of red bull smile

In all seriousness though I would politely ask them to get down.

WiddlinDiddlin Fri 19-Apr-19 16:16:27

Time to sunbathe topless whilst listening to GWAR and smoking a joint..

That'll fix it soon enough!

HomeMadeMadness Fri 19-Apr-19 16:16:47

Also no YANBU that would drive me mad too!

SilverySurfer Fri 19-Apr-19 16:18:47

Time to buy some fast growing bamboo or something more prickly.

flapjackfairy Fri 19-Apr-19 16:20:10

If all else fails you could put up that curly barbed wire a la colditz.
Only joshing. grin

Cherylshaw Fri 19-Apr-19 16:22:39

I'd say something! Trying to have a smoke and the little creepers are just starting at you 😂 i couldn't deal with that

CaptainJaneway12 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:22:56

I feel your pain. Neighbours kids window overlooks my garden and everytime I go outside they wave, bang, shout... I know I am unreasonable and they are friendly kids but I hate it and feel like I have no privacy.

endofthelinefinally Fri 19-Apr-19 16:24:23

Tall prickly plants.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:25:30

Have you asked the children to get down? If not, why? That would be the logical first step.

AnnieMay100 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:29:52

A polite ‘be careful you might fall climbing up there’ so their parents hear might be a good start if that doesn’t work a firmer ‘get down please’. bring it up when you next bump into the parents even if you resort to ‘I’m planning on sunbathing naked this year I’m sure your kids don’t want to see that’ grin Maybe some trellis/overgrown plants will make it harder for them too

Acis Fri 19-Apr-19 16:30:28

Surely your lawn just by that area of fence urgently needs the sprinkler, on a setting that just happens to throw the water high against the fence??

MitziTheTabbyIsMyOverlord Fri 19-Apr-19 16:31:21

Just put some headphones on and pretend you can't hear them. And if you wear shades, you can't see them either.

LumpyPillow Fri 19-Apr-19 16:39:03

No, definitely tell them to get down and that you don’t want to be watched by them.

CrazyPineapple Fri 19-Apr-19 16:43:18

We installed anti cat/bird fence strips to the top of our fence to stop cats climbing over and shitting in our garden. They're plastic spikes. Not very comfortable to sit on I'd imagine wink and super cheap! If the neighbours asks why, just use the cat excuse.

pandora206 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:44:34

How about putting on your best teacherly voice (firm but neutral) and saying 'Please don't look into our garden all the time. It's rude' as you look straight at them next time they do this? Assuming they're older than two they should respond.

viques Fri 19-Apr-19 16:47:53

You can buy plastic prickly things that are supposed to stop cats walking along your fence (they don't btw) might be a small deterrent..... A bit less aggressive than barbed wire, broken glass, anti climb paint or electric fencing though less satisfying.

viques Fri 19-Apr-19 16:49:21

Waves to crazy pineapple

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »