Talk

Advanced search

I know IABU but *screaming internally*

(104 Posts)
YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 19-Apr-19 10:37:43

I was given a brand new mobile phone this week. I left it on the kitchen table next to my laptop planning to set it up once the children were in bed.

Went to sort out DC teeth, bath, bed. Returned to new phone. DH had come home, opened my phone's box and.... removed the plastic peel thingy they put over the screen. sad I am gutted. I don't know why but I LOVE that satisfying feeling of peeling off the new phone plastic thing.

I am extra annoyed because the last time I had a new phone (5 years ago)- he did the same bloody thing!!!!!

I know it's ridiculous. I know it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. I know some women are married to absolute toolboxes and that there are people starving.... but ... angry

Vegisgrowingwell Sun 21-Apr-19 08:17:45

@MODGNIK I ate the core of a chocolate orange last night!

Corbylee Sat 20-Apr-19 23:51:24

One time I bought a phone from car phone warehouse, and before I could even react the guy had opened the box got it all out turned it on sorted it all. I was fuming angry not been back since. Unboxing and setting it up is one of the best bits ! I now order my new phones online to prevent this.
Yanbu op really knobbish behaviour from your DH

IncrediblySadToo Sat 20-Apr-19 23:06:58

Terry's chocolate oranges are not made for sharing. It's one fruit.... it's all for you

LOVE your thinking. 🍊

JessieMcJessie Sat 20-Apr-19 23:06:02

But not mentioning it means he will never know how out of order he was! Fine if you are sure that this behaviour doesn’t bleed into other ways that he treats you, but I can’t help but think he does this shit because you let him get away with it.

ALongHardWinter Sat 20-Apr-19 17:56:34

LTB.

user1474894224 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:23:32

Nrtft....so missed what the coffee thing is. Bit peeling plastic - LTB. Not on.
We have a couple of friends who fight over garlic bread ends.....we are always happy to share with them.
Terry's chocolate oranges are not made for sharing. It's one fruit.... it's all for you.

medusa83 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:18:41

Does he also torture small animals? Is he artificially charming but has no real feelings? Does he like Jamiroquai?

This is a sign OP. You've ended up with one of life's sociopaths sad

PanamaPattie Sat 20-Apr-19 17:18:24

I would bin both the phone and DH and treat myself to a new set. Anyone that commits such total disrespectful acts such as removing plastic peely things need to be punished. Don't touch my stuff. It's not yours. You have been warned.

1MillionSelfiesTakenByMyKids Sat 20-Apr-19 17:16:13

Dh demonstrates his love fort me by SAVING the plastic on his phone for ME to peel. Greater Love hath no man. We both get semi orgasmic as it peels back...

PregnantSea Sat 20-Apr-19 17:05:27

I know this is lighthearted but I do think it's a bit rude to open someone else's stuff and start faffing about with it, peely thing or no peely thing.

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Sat 20-Apr-19 07:57:35

Thanks for the replies.

I don't see the point of raising it with DH. It can't be undone and it will be years before I have another new phone and there being a chance of it happening again, by which time he will have forgotten.

I have however booked myself for a massage today, which I haven't done since pre DC. I figure: 60 minute professional massage > peeling off phone plastic.

LumpyPillow Fri 19-Apr-19 17:39:17

Nobody is being hysterical?!

Would he be being 'hysterical about nothing' if he bought a new shirt, hung it up to try on later as didnt fancy trying on in shop, and OP came in, unbuttoned it, ripped the tags off and just dropped them on the bed.

Same thing. Not the end of the world but still interfering and rude. Whats so hard to understand? Theres no fucking bermuda triangle, twilight zone shit going on.

Soubriquet Fri 19-Apr-19 17:36:51

See I do the coffee thing...and I don’t even drink it blush

But peeling..no!

Anniegetyourgun Fri 19-Apr-19 17:21:53

The point is it wasn't his plastic to peel. If someone has a brand new thing, the obvious approach is to leave it alone unless and until they ask you to help. Being a nosy bugger myself I'd probably pick up the box and read all the sides, and comment on the lines of "new phone, nice" (and possibly "where's mine"), but breaking in and fiddling is beyond the pale.

Oh, and LTB.

IncrediblySadToo Fri 19-Apr-19 17:19:25

Mind you, if the iPhone doesn’t stop making ridiculous text changes it’s going to be rehomed!

Piss. Not puss.

IncrediblySadToo Fri 19-Apr-19 17:18:04

SilverySurfer

I’ll TRY to explain. For ME it would be three things 1. I like to leave mine on until I’m ready to put the screen protector on, so that it stays really clean. 2. I love the satisfaction of peeling that stuff off, but it would be mostly 3. It’s MINE. Partner, kids, sharing the house you seem to get fewer & fewer things that are ‘just yours’ to have exactly how you want them. Fewer things you get to open brand new and set up just how you want them without having to think about anyone else. Someone invading that tiny little bit of ‘me space’ would really puss me off.

IncrediblySadToo Fri 19-Apr-19 17:12:27

I haven't said anything about it this time

Say what?

You’ve at least got to tell him he’s lucky not to be under the patio!

SilverySurfer Fri 19-Apr-19 17:11:02

OK lighthearted switched on as suggested.........still don't get it. Obviously I'm the odd one out as so many others seem to have the same (to me) bizarre reaction to a bit of plastic being peeled off.

I stand by my assertion that MN entered the Twilight Zone overnight.

Pieceofpurplesky Fri 19-Apr-19 17:06:02

Deal breaker.
LTB.

Eliza9919 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:57:59

What was he excited for? It's not his phone angry

Usuallyinthemiddle Fri 19-Apr-19 16:52:57

Shannonrock that's made me really giggle! I've one who is the same with cotton wool. It's hilarious!

Eliza9919 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:49:37

@NaBiAgOl He did not. He opened it, peeled off the plastic, put phone back on box, left plastic on the table, walked away

You need to divorce the cheeky cunt. That's bang out of order.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Apr-19 16:19:06

and still don't understand why its such a big deal.

Did you forget to switch on your "lighthearted" switch?

SilverySurfer Fri 19-Apr-19 16:15:27

LadyRannaldini
Some people seem to get hysterical about the most minor things! If that's all he does to annoy you I think you're fairly lucky, the same would apply in reverse to, before someone jumps on my head.

I thought it was just me. I've re-read the thread a couple of times and still don't understand why its such a big deal.

Obviously MN moved into the Twilight Zone last night hmm

RosamundDarnley Fri 19-Apr-19 16:11:46

My ex used to leave peel off film alone (if he had his way, all domestic appliances would have those energy rating stickers all over them like in the showroom, especially those that say remove before use confused ) but had this compulsive urge to assemble anything that came into the house needing assembling.

So toddler dd was frequently given a brand new 12 piece jigsaw that he had opened the box and put together (her face was confused ), he assembled my bathroom cosmetics trolley I had picked up and was just wondering whether I had left it in the car when he walked in holding it with a ”ta-da, made it for you” angry and the final straw was when he opened a flatpack bookcase, decided it didn't have sufficient holes and promptly drilled holes - in the polished wooden outer cabinet that was to go around the inner shelving unit once it was assembled (so there were no visible screws once assembled and was why we had chosen that bookcase in the first place because it didn't look like a flat pack piece of furniture hmm ) When I pointed that out to him he was ”only trying to help...!”

Did I say he's my ex? And to make matters worse, he used my drill!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »