Talk

Advanced search

I know IABU but *screaming internally*

(104 Posts)
YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 19-Apr-19 10:37:43

I was given a brand new mobile phone this week. I left it on the kitchen table next to my laptop planning to set it up once the children were in bed.

Went to sort out DC teeth, bath, bed. Returned to new phone. DH had come home, opened my phone's box and.... removed the plastic peel thingy they put over the screen. sad I am gutted. I don't know why but I LOVE that satisfying feeling of peeling off the new phone plastic thing.

I am extra annoyed because the last time I had a new phone (5 years ago)- he did the same bloody thing!!!!!

I know it's ridiculous. I know it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. I know some women are married to absolute toolboxes and that there are people starving.... but ... angry

TheQueef Fri 19-Apr-19 10:39:32

Yanbu unboxing is a thing.
Wouldn't bother me personally but I understand.

megrichardson Fri 19-Apr-19 10:50:13

the peel plastic thingy is the best bit!!

Once could have been an accident, but your DH has done this to you twice?? I think it's emotional abuse.

Next time, hide your new phone when you get it, and also try to grab the next new phone and do it to him!! That will sort him out good and proper.

megrichardson Fri 19-Apr-19 10:50:57

grab his next new phone, I mean. I never seem to be able to type properly on MN

NaBiAgOl Fri 19-Apr-19 10:54:42

Did he set it up for you? charge it, transfer sim over, get it all ready to go?

IF he did I could forgive peeling off the plastic layer but if he just came along and peeled off the plastic layer but did nothing useful, I'd be irrationally annoyed as well!

He owes you a horrible job now. SOmething you know you need to do but have been putting off for a while, he needs to do that for you.

QueenAnneBoleyn Fri 19-Apr-19 10:55:12

YANBU. That would give me the right hump! Cheeky sod. wine

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 19-Apr-19 10:58:41

@NaBiAgOl He did not. He opened it, peeled off the plastic, put phone back on box, left plastic on the table, walked away. angry

WhatNowRandy Fri 19-Apr-19 11:00:54

Ugh, how infuriating! Mine once stuck it back on right in front of me and tried to pass that on as "look, it still sticks, you can peel it off now". As if that's in any way the same thing! angry

Lovewinemorethanhusband Fri 19-Apr-19 11:01:29

My husband does this as well, takes all the plastic off and also likes to have the first play, he's a phone shop manager so I would have thought the novelty for him would have worn off by now, Ive threaten to go to a different network if he does it on my new phone !!
The worst thing he does though is he opens the new coffee jars and pierces the foil tops pisses me right off as he doesn't even drink coffee, he then puts it back in the cupboard !! That makes me want to kill him

FiveShelties Fri 19-Apr-19 11:01:41

I still have plastic thingy on and my phone is three months old. I am saving it!

QueenoftheBiscuitTin Fri 19-Apr-19 11:03:10

My DP has to be the first to try, use or open things he buys, so if I'd have done that, he'd have been most displeased. YANBU.

FiveShelties Fri 19-Apr-19 11:03:37

Lovewine - piercing the coffee foil would be a deal breakergrin

TSSDNCOP Fri 19-Apr-19 11:03:44

Oh god I’d have killed him dead. De-boxing is the best bit about a new phone. When everything’s all shiny and not smeary and you marvel at the minimalist packaging and the lovely new headphones and the joy of having a new charger.

cuppycakey Fri 19-Apr-19 11:09:04

LTB

Unicornshopkeeper Fri 19-Apr-19 11:09:18

I would be absolutely furious if my DH or any of my DC did this. It's mine, it's expensive and it only happens every couple of years.

Is he generally a good guy?

misper Fri 19-Apr-19 11:09:21

me and DH leave the peelies for as long as we can for a treat.
if he did that he'd know he was doing something quite seriously bad

Betty777 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:09:48

I HATE unboxing anything tech related, as it's followed by my having to sort stuff out and try to get it working properly. I would let anyone peel my film if they'd sort out all the other crap for me ;-)

of course if he just peeled and walked away, then LTB

Lovewinemorethanhusband Fri 19-Apr-19 11:11:14

Fiveshelties he thinks it's funny however the strop I had being 35 weeks pregnant don't think he's going to do it again for a while, it was epic tantrum like my 4 year old throws 😂

morefoolyou Fri 19-Apr-19 11:11:59

LTB

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 19-Apr-19 11:14:19

This is tantamount to the poster whose husband ate the core of her chocolate orange. LTB

Holidayshopping Fri 19-Apr-19 11:15:36

Total first world problem, but that would make me stabby, too!

Did he know that you like doing the peeling and that you were cross that he’d done it before?

Did he think it was funny?

intensiveeveline Fri 19-Apr-19 11:16:22

Once could have been an accident, but your DH has done this to you twice?? I think it's emotional abuse

Agreed! He wanted to deprive you of pleasure. Is he also selfish in bed? He is trying to break the special bond you should have with your mobile and spoil the relationship out of jealousy.

Insist on counselling for the three of you or else he needs to find somewhere else to live. Perhaps Carphone Warehouse?

IncrediblySadToo Fri 19-Apr-19 11:17:27

🤬

WTAF does he think he’s doing, messing with YOUR new phone? I’d be seriously pissed off. When you have a partner and kids you end up with very little that’s JUST yours. Anyone doing that would get told.

ukgift2016 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:17:29

I think he did it on purpose then. Especially if he did it before and you told him off about it.

Yabbers Fri 19-Apr-19 11:17:49

Oh, this is LTB territory.

Both DH and DD know that unboxing anything is a sin. And using it first is worse. But peeling off peely things is absolutely unforgivable.

DD noticed one on the side of our 4 year old fridge freezer. We had so much fun with that one. I’m still finding ones in my 6 month old car.

My best one was, I work in construction and at one site I visited they were putting up cladding panels. They were covered peely things and I half jokingly remarked I would love to peel those off. They actually invited me back to do it. Best day at work!

AestheticPerfection Fri 19-Apr-19 11:18:37

I like to leave mine on.
This would make me rage.

flumpybear Fri 19-Apr-19 11:21:32

Stick the plastic thing to his forehead and pull it off wink

Also, get a glass screen cover for your new phone, that's always satisfying pulling it off when it needs changing 😆

RSAcre Fri 19-Apr-19 11:21:52

He has left you no choice.

LTB!!!

MindyStClaire Fri 19-Apr-19 11:24:24

shock I know this thread is intended to be lighthearted, but I genuinely think that's such selfish behaviour. I would be gutted/raging.

AtrociousCircumstance Fri 19-Apr-19 11:25:22

Intrusive and thoughtless and a bit weird - it’s your phone, why does he feel entitled to do that?

Does that attitude manifest in other ways too?

TheSerenDipitY Fri 19-Apr-19 11:25:24

YANBU!!!!!!
im so with you on the protective film
i got a new phone and a new sim and the lady at the shop offered to put it in for me, not thinking i said sure, first thing she did was rip off my lovely protective film, im pretty sure i gasped....

DameFanny Fri 19-Apr-19 11:28:57

Kill him.

TimeIhadaNameChange Fri 19-Apr-19 11:30:35

Have you asked him WHY he did it?

I'd hate it, and luckily my DP wouldn't dare. He wouldn't care if I did it to his though.

Reminds me of when I was a student. My sister dropped a bookcase I'd bought from IKEA at my flat, and suggested to my then BF that they put it together for me. Luckily he knew me better than that and said no. I would have been so pissed off if they had. I would probably have dismantled it and done it again to be honest!!!

DuckbilledSplatterPuff Fri 19-Apr-19 11:36:46

Deliberate Tampering. I bet he's the one that eats all the purple sweets out of the Quality Street too!

squigglekat Fri 19-Apr-19 11:38:26

Did you tell him you liked to do that?

I wouldn’t care if DH did this. Use your words!

ooft Fri 19-Apr-19 11:45:40

YANBU. Gutted for you.

Durgasarrow Fri 19-Apr-19 11:55:35

Starving people are enraged on your behalf.

Outoutweirdspots Fri 19-Apr-19 12:07:16

bet he's the one that eats all the purple sweets out of the Quality Street too!

He’d be welcome in my house, as long as he eats all the nut ones and leaves the rest.

Bezalelle Fri 19-Apr-19 12:17:56

I would do some serious harm to DP if he did this!! I was disproportionately happy this morning when I got to the new margarine first, and was thus able to peel the inner wrapping off it. So satisfying.

MongerTruffle Fri 19-Apr-19 12:24:33

NaBiAgOl I love setting up new phones!

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 19-Apr-19 12:25:22

@IncrediblySadToo ah I think you're onto something- that's a part of my rage. Since DC it's rare for me to have anything nice/new that belongs to me. This was MY fancy new thing and now it seems not only less fancy and new, but also less mine.

I don't think he remembers the last time he did this. TBH I'd forgotten until he did it again which reminded me.

But yes 1st world problem. I am very fortunate overall. I will allow him to live (but only god can save him if he pulls the chocolate orange thing).

LadyRannaldini Fri 19-Apr-19 12:28:40

Some people seem to get hysterical about the most minor things! If that's all he does to annoy you I think you're fairly lucky, the same would apply in reverse to, before someone jumps on my head.

checkingforballoons Fri 19-Apr-19 12:36:59

I’m waiting for a drip feed, where you tell us that he’s always insisted on eating both end bits of a garlic baguette as well, but you didn’t think it was a big deal.

SchadenfreudePersonified Fri 19-Apr-19 12:38:53

He did not. He opened it, peeled off the plastic, put phone back on box, left plastic on the table, walked away.

<sharpens large kitchen knife>

rainbowstardrops Fri 19-Apr-19 12:40:38

Why would he do that???!!!! I mean, I could just about understand if he then set it all up for you but to just take it off and leave it there?! No way!!!

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 19-Apr-19 12:41:29

@checkingforballoons is that a thing? I don't like the end pieces of garlic bread. I need to know where to find this a man who will happily eat the end pieces and leave me the middle pieces (I may be back on the market soon 😉)

brizzlemint Fri 19-Apr-19 12:44:46

Get a large sheet of bubble wrap and burst it in front of him without sharing, that'll teach the bastard.

NoSauce Fri 19-Apr-19 12:46:53

I would have said yes! thanks DH for saving me a job.

Can’t believe some of the replies here either.
Actually weird.

checkingforballoons Fri 19-Apr-19 12:53:55

But it’s the best bit!!
And yes to the bubble wrap idea. Look him straight in the eye as you do it. Pop, pop, pop.

Time40 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:56:30

Oooh, I wish some of you lived near me. You could come round when I have peely things to peel. I think they're a nuisance, and I don't like having to bother with them. You could come and do the coffee-jar foil, too, and everything else of that nature.

JessieMcJessie Fri 19-Apr-19 12:58:18

Has he explained why he did this?
He just did it for kicks didn’t he?
LTB.

checkingforballoons Fri 19-Apr-19 13:00:10

I’ve just realised that I’m due a new debit card. Which means I’ll get to peel off the little bit of plastic that covers the new PIN number. OP, would you like to help me? You’ll have to close your eyes though as I’m very security conscious.

woodcutbirds Fri 19-Apr-19 13:01:03

I'd be seriously impressed by his knowledge. I always forget the peely bit peels off until I think my screen is looking scratched then suddenly - whole new phone.

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 19-Apr-19 13:02:07

I think he did it because he really likes doing it. He loves new tech and I guess he was excited. That was his reason last time.

I haven't said anything about it this time.

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Fri 19-Apr-19 13:02:35

He did not. He opened it, peeled off the plastic, put phone back on box, left plastic on the table, walked away.

Ooh that would annoy me. Would be different if he had got it out to set it up or whatever, but this, is pointless completely!

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Fri 19-Apr-19 13:03:22

@checkingforballoons It's a date! I'll bring the garlic bread. 🥖

JessieMcJessie Fri 19-Apr-19 13:05:38

Did it not cross his mind that YOU might also like this and that he was depriving you of a fun thing by doing it? I know this is lighthearted by that does actually sound like a dickish thing to do to your wife. Does he also eat all the nice food and leave you none?

SoupDragon Fri 19-Apr-19 13:12:08

What a bastard!

My car had some accident repair work done about 18 months ago which meant the shiny silver running board bit had to be replaced. It still has the protective blue peely bit on it. I can't bring myself to peel it off.

Duster12 Fri 19-Apr-19 13:14:58

I know people are joking etc but to me he just sounds like a knob. Threads like this make me feel so relieved to be single.

FrogFairy Fri 19-Apr-19 13:17:39

What an utter bastard.

I am guessing he is probably also a spoony fucker.

AnnieMay100 Fri 19-Apr-19 13:18:43

So inconsiderate demand he makes it up to you with an expensive meal grin

nettie434 Fri 19-Apr-19 13:24:44

Lucky for him it’s not one of those new Samsung ones. Apparently lots of the journalists have peeled off a plastic bit that they thought was a protective film but is actually essential.. They will cost about £1800 when they are officially on sale.

howabout Fri 19-Apr-19 13:30:58

shock
LTB

My DH loves tech. For this reason he would never ever ever invade my personal space and deprive me of the first thrill of ownership of a new phone - plus a phone is kinda a personal thing.

I actually get my DH to sort out my new tech for me as I am a bit phobic. Even so I would be mightily upset if he didn't wait to be asked and he thinks I am seriously weird for not wanting to learn how to do it myself.

ThatssomebadhatHarry Fri 19-Apr-19 13:31:54

My DH often pops any new coffee top. HE DOESNT EVEN DRINK COFFEE!!!

DuckbilledSplatterPuff Fri 19-Apr-19 14:01:19

@brizzlemint @checkingforballoons [big grin]

81Byerley Fri 19-Apr-19 14:01:36

I feel your pain! How dare he remove the peely thing!

DuckbilledSplatterPuff Fri 19-Apr-19 14:01:52

I meant grin soz

LumpyPillow Fri 19-Apr-19 14:13:55

Why wouldn't you say something about it?

I know this is a jokey thread, but it actually is a very interfering and blokish 'oh, a piece of technology, I know how best to handle this' load of bullshit thing to do.

For gods sake just say excuse me can you not do that please, this is MY new phone. And everthing you've said on here. It doesnt have to be all out war, just say something! Challenge him. Let him know? Or in five years time the selfish cunt will be doing the same. 😂

MODGNIK Fri 19-Apr-19 14:15:31

This is tantamount to the poster whose husband ate the core of her chocolate orange. LTB

in 1997- no core anymore

TessaL23 Fri 19-Apr-19 14:18:51

My 1 year old just ripped mine off my brand new phone Xr. I was so disappointed. I wanted to feel like I was in a you tube video or something lol

ShannonRockallMalin Fri 19-Apr-19 14:43:15

At least I know that despite his many annoying habits, my DH wouldn't do this, as he is scared of stickers and plastic film. He can be almost reduced to tears by someone threatening him with a roll of cling film. He's an odd one.

FineWordsForAPorcupine Fri 19-Apr-19 15:03:21

I know everyone is sort of joking, but I would actually be really upset about this.

Not because peeling the film off a phone is so mind blowingly amazing (mines still on as we speak) but because it really is such a casually selfish, thoughtless thing to do - it's the kind of impulsive self gratification you expect from a seven year old, not your life partner.

There's a thread running atm about little things your partner does that make him/her a keeper, and the general consensus is that the small, everyday acts of love and concern that really matter. I think the same is true for the tiny acts of contempt - they demonstrate what your partner really thinks of you.

In this case, OP, your husband doesn't really think your feelings or possessions matter - he just saw an opportunity for a fleeting moment of enjoyment and indulged himself. He didn't care how you felt or that it wasn't his item - he didn't even think about it. He just went "ooh, a small pleasure for me to enjoy here, I'll just rifle through this box, take what I want and then bugger off". He knew it was yours - who else's would it be? - and he is aware of the social prohibition against interfering with other peoples possessions, especially in the case of new or unopened things. But it didn't matter, because its only you, and you don't count.

TheLazyDuchess Fri 19-Apr-19 15:04:17

"I know this is a jokey thread, but it actually is a very interfering and blokish 'oh, a piece of technology,Iknow how best to handle this' load of bullshit thing to do."

^This. It's also quite selfish? Why couldn't he just leave it alone? Maybe op is lucky that this is the worst of her gripes about her dp, but small annoyances and selfish behaviour like this can really build up a lot of resentment. It can't be good for the blood pressure or stress levels. If it's a one off op will calm down soon, and should get first dibs on his next new phone.

I've been single for a few years now, and will suddenly have a terrible headache and need to rest not a total lie when my ex and or any male relatives or friends start messing with my stuff or mansplaining. Life's too short.

TheLazyDuchess Fri 19-Apr-19 15:11:40

"my DH wouldn't do this, as he is scared of stickers and plastic film. He can be almost reduced to tears by someone threatening him with a roll of cling film."

^Aw poor dh! I'd try so hard not to giggle at his reaction to the stuff, but I'd probably explode at some point into hysterics instead, side stitch and all. Then I'd probably spend the next 3 days apologising blush. I remember a horror film from years ago, where a character was suffocated with clingfilm being wrapped around their head, I wonder if he saw similar and it stuck with him?

KittyInTheCradle Fri 19-Apr-19 15:21:04

LTB

KittyInTheCradle Fri 19-Apr-19 15:22:05

Chocolate oranges do still have a core what is this madness you are talking!

spottycap Fri 19-Apr-19 15:34:51

YANBU sad times OP . Sometimes I’ve been known to wait a day or two before I peel...

MindyStClaire Fri 19-Apr-19 15:42:17

Completely agree FineWordsForAPorcupine!

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Fri 19-Apr-19 15:50:58

i had TWO peelies on my new huawei....one was really plasticky and naff, with writing on and the other was like one of the older style screen protectors

ooh and there was one on the back too, i left that one on for a week, even in the case that came with it.

RosamundDarnley Fri 19-Apr-19 16:11:46

My ex used to leave peel off film alone (if he had his way, all domestic appliances would have those energy rating stickers all over them like in the showroom, especially those that say remove before use confused ) but had this compulsive urge to assemble anything that came into the house needing assembling.

So toddler dd was frequently given a brand new 12 piece jigsaw that he had opened the box and put together (her face was confused ), he assembled my bathroom cosmetics trolley I had picked up and was just wondering whether I had left it in the car when he walked in holding it with a ”ta-da, made it for you” angry and the final straw was when he opened a flatpack bookcase, decided it didn't have sufficient holes and promptly drilled holes - in the polished wooden outer cabinet that was to go around the inner shelving unit once it was assembled (so there were no visible screws once assembled and was why we had chosen that bookcase in the first place because it didn't look like a flat pack piece of furniture hmm ) When I pointed that out to him he was ”only trying to help...!”

Did I say he's my ex? And to make matters worse, he used my drill!

SilverySurfer Fri 19-Apr-19 16:15:27

LadyRannaldini
Some people seem to get hysterical about the most minor things! If that's all he does to annoy you I think you're fairly lucky, the same would apply in reverse to, before someone jumps on my head.

I thought it was just me. I've re-read the thread a couple of times and still don't understand why its such a big deal.

Obviously MN moved into the Twilight Zone last night hmm

SoupDragon Fri 19-Apr-19 16:19:06

and still don't understand why its such a big deal.

Did you forget to switch on your "lighthearted" switch?

Eliza9919 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:49:37

@NaBiAgOl He did not. He opened it, peeled off the plastic, put phone back on box, left plastic on the table, walked away

You need to divorce the cheeky cunt. That's bang out of order.

Usuallyinthemiddle Fri 19-Apr-19 16:52:57

Shannonrock that's made me really giggle! I've one who is the same with cotton wool. It's hilarious!

Eliza9919 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:57:59

What was he excited for? It's not his phone angry

Pieceofpurplesky Fri 19-Apr-19 17:06:02

Deal breaker.
LTB.

SilverySurfer Fri 19-Apr-19 17:11:02

OK lighthearted switched on as suggested.........still don't get it. Obviously I'm the odd one out as so many others seem to have the same (to me) bizarre reaction to a bit of plastic being peeled off.

I stand by my assertion that MN entered the Twilight Zone overnight.

IncrediblySadToo Fri 19-Apr-19 17:12:27

I haven't said anything about it this time

Say what?

You’ve at least got to tell him he’s lucky not to be under the patio!

IncrediblySadToo Fri 19-Apr-19 17:18:04

SilverySurfer

I’ll TRY to explain. For ME it would be three things 1. I like to leave mine on until I’m ready to put the screen protector on, so that it stays really clean. 2. I love the satisfaction of peeling that stuff off, but it would be mostly 3. It’s MINE. Partner, kids, sharing the house you seem to get fewer & fewer things that are ‘just yours’ to have exactly how you want them. Fewer things you get to open brand new and set up just how you want them without having to think about anyone else. Someone invading that tiny little bit of ‘me space’ would really puss me off.

IncrediblySadToo Fri 19-Apr-19 17:19:25

Mind you, if the iPhone doesn’t stop making ridiculous text changes it’s going to be rehomed!

Piss. Not puss.

Anniegetyourgun Fri 19-Apr-19 17:21:53

The point is it wasn't his plastic to peel. If someone has a brand new thing, the obvious approach is to leave it alone unless and until they ask you to help. Being a nosy bugger myself I'd probably pick up the box and read all the sides, and comment on the lines of "new phone, nice" (and possibly "where's mine"), but breaking in and fiddling is beyond the pale.

Oh, and LTB.

Soubriquet Fri 19-Apr-19 17:36:51

See I do the coffee thing...and I don’t even drink it blush

But peeling..no!

LumpyPillow Fri 19-Apr-19 17:39:17

Nobody is being hysterical?!

Would he be being 'hysterical about nothing' if he bought a new shirt, hung it up to try on later as didnt fancy trying on in shop, and OP came in, unbuttoned it, ripped the tags off and just dropped them on the bed.

Same thing. Not the end of the world but still interfering and rude. Whats so hard to understand? Theres no fucking bermuda triangle, twilight zone shit going on.

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Sat 20-Apr-19 07:57:35

Thanks for the replies.

I don't see the point of raising it with DH. It can't be undone and it will be years before I have another new phone and there being a chance of it happening again, by which time he will have forgotten.

I have however booked myself for a massage today, which I haven't done since pre DC. I figure: 60 minute professional massage > peeling off phone plastic.

PregnantSea Sat 20-Apr-19 17:05:27

I know this is lighthearted but I do think it's a bit rude to open someone else's stuff and start faffing about with it, peely thing or no peely thing.

1MillionSelfiesTakenByMyKids Sat 20-Apr-19 17:16:13

Dh demonstrates his love fort me by SAVING the plastic on his phone for ME to peel. Greater Love hath no man. We both get semi orgasmic as it peels back...

PanamaPattie Sat 20-Apr-19 17:18:24

I would bin both the phone and DH and treat myself to a new set. Anyone that commits such total disrespectful acts such as removing plastic peely things need to be punished. Don't touch my stuff. It's not yours. You have been warned.

medusa83 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:18:41

Does he also torture small animals? Is he artificially charming but has no real feelings? Does he like Jamiroquai?

This is a sign OP. You've ended up with one of life's sociopaths sad

user1474894224 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:23:32

Nrtft....so missed what the coffee thing is. Bit peeling plastic - LTB. Not on.
We have a couple of friends who fight over garlic bread ends.....we are always happy to share with them.
Terry's chocolate oranges are not made for sharing. It's one fruit.... it's all for you.

ALongHardWinter Sat 20-Apr-19 17:56:34

LTB.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »