Talk

Advanced search

Coving fell on DD (2)

(145 Posts)
lovelilies Fri 19-Apr-19 09:42:12

We're on holiday, 5* resort. This morning we were woken by a massive crash and found that 2 pieces of coving from the ceiling had fallen and landed on the bed where the DC were sleeping. Fortunately neither was hurt amazingly but they could have been seriously injured. We rang reception and reported it and when they didn't come within an hour we went for breakfast and when we came back the maintenance men were fixing it.
I feel we should be making a bit of a thing about it as it could have been more serious. What would you do?

LostInShoebiz Fri 19-Apr-19 09:43:50

I’d be raising merry hell. I completely agree with you.

JacquesHammer Fri 19-Apr-19 09:44:58

Honestly?

Assurances the rest of the ceiling was safe and then leave it there. It was an accident, nobody was hurt.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Nicknacky Fri 19-Apr-19 09:47:28

Thankfully no one has been hurt but unless the coving was in poor condition then what more could the hotel have done to prevent it?

I would possibly ask for a different room but that can be a pain in the arse to move everything.

lovelilies Fri 19-Apr-19 09:56:53

I took pictures but can't upload for some reason

CurtainsOpen Fri 19-Apr-19 09:59:44

What are you expecting?

LIZS Fri 19-Apr-19 10:03:18

Was it solid plaster or the fake polystyrene type? Unless it was foreseeable or caused by a leak above from another guest I'm not sure what you expect to happen? Maybe free drinks, or alternative room?

Romax Fri 19-Apr-19 10:05:11

*Assurances the rest of the ceiling was safe and then leave it there. It was an accident, nobody was hurt.*

Disagree
It could well be indicative of a lassoes faire approach to property maintenance.

I would ask to speak with management.

Romax Fri 19-Apr-19 10:05:29

And definitely in context with my travel agency

Romax Fri 19-Apr-19 10:06:40

Laissez

brizzlemint Fri 19-Apr-19 10:07:37

I'd insist on moving to a different, and higher rate, room.

JacquesHammer Fri 19-Apr-19 10:12:38

It could well be indicative of a lassoes faire approach to property maintenance

Or it simply could have been an unfortunate incident, hence why I asked for assurances the room was safe.

But then I can’t help feeling this is veering towards compensation territory...of course replacement of any damaged goods would be reasonable but other than that why dwell.

SileneOliveira Fri 19-Apr-19 10:13:44

Accidents do happen. You could ask to be moved to another room and that would be reasonable, if the hotel can accommodate it and you can be bothered with the hassle of moving.

But that's where it ends though, no need for compensation or anything else.

Dana28 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:14:07

How would they know the ceiling was going to fall down?what 'maintainance' does a plaster ceiling coving eequire.i don't think anyone has been negligent.

FriarTuck Fri 19-Apr-19 10:14:26

But then I can’t help feeling this is veering towards compensation territory...of course replacement of any damaged goods would be reasonable but other than that why dwell.
This ^^ (If I was the hotel I'd be checking it hadn't been pried away from the ceiling, but then I'm cynical when it comes to potential compensation claims)

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Fri 19-Apr-19 10:17:11

Any complaint should have both cause and desired out come.

Johnny Brit gobbing off in the foyer is unlikely to achieve anything other than reinforcement of Gammon Brexit Stereotype. So what do you want the outcome to be?

Romax Fri 19-Apr-19 10:17:56

@JacquesHammer

Yes it could be an accident
But fairly serious and could have resulted in death
So on the basis of that, I’d want to make a little bit of an effort

recklessgran Fri 19-Apr-19 10:18:29

Definitely insist on an upgrade /move. Demand to see the manager!

JacquesHammer Fri 19-Apr-19 10:19:03

*But fairly serious and could have resulted in death
So on the basis of that, I’d want to make a little bit of an effort*

“Could have” being the operative words. Surely it’s far more sensible to think “thank goodness it wasn’t more serious” and forget about it.

Nicknacky Fri 19-Apr-19 10:20:28

Let’s keep it in perspective. It’s not been a near death experience.

CKWattisthemanager Fri 19-Apr-19 10:20:44

Just hope C K Watt isn't the manager grin

<Gets coat. Slinks away>

lovelilies Fri 19-Apr-19 10:22:58

It was wood covered polystyrene so not as heavy as plaster but not the really lift stuff. I'd like a proper apology and a free holiday ha ha.
I guess we should just be thankful no-one was hurt and move on. We aren't traumatised or anything I was pretty gob smacked when it happened and woke us all up though!

UserName31456789 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:25:50

Bloody hell. I would be making an almighty fuss - mainly because I'd want them to be checking every other bit of coving to ensure next time a child isn't seriously hurt.

Romax Fri 19-Apr-19 10:33:05

@JacquesHammer

Yes if you’re of the frame I’d mind that “I’m ok so no problem”

For me, I’d feel so guilty if transpired that later down the line someone injured or died due to poor maintenance.

Acis Fri 19-Apr-19 10:33:32

How would they know the ceiling was going to fall down?what 'maintainance' does a plaster ceiling coving eequire.i don't think anyone has been negligent.

Come off it. For bits of coving to fall down, someone has been negligent in the original construction, in terms of maintenance and checking, or in terms of something like a water leak after which there haven't been adequate checks on possible collateral damage.

As for people asking OP what she expects, how hard can that be to work out? Surely, as a minimum, a massive apology and whatever it takes to reassure her and her family that they are safe in the hotel - possibly even moving her to another. If that had happened to me in one room, I'm not sure I'd feel safe in other rooms in the same hotel in case the same people had made the same errors in fixing the coving.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »