Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask what happened to you in your life that you never thought would?

(417 Posts)
Flyinga Thu 18-Apr-19 20:04:34

Good, bad, ugly etc.

DeadWife Thu 18-Apr-19 20:37:22

Never thought I'd be a good parent as my upbringing was so bad. I though parenting was a learned behaviour and with my first I felt I was thrown in the deep end without knowing how to swim.

Turns out I'm a good mother after all, or so my DC tell me.

Mari50 Thu 18-Apr-19 20:38:12

Never thought I’d get married, then didn’t see the divorce coming. Didn’t think I’d still be living in the shithole town/region/country I grew up in. Didn’t think I’d have kids.
Speaking honestly my life hasn’t turned out at all as I envisioned however I’m reconciled to that. Disappointed in myself and recognise that my own short comings and lack of confidence are the reasons I am stuck in a hole. The thing that irks most is that most people think I’m self assured, confident and wouldn’t believe how insecure and pathetic I am.
Struggling to think of good stuff but that my personality xx

JayeAshe Thu 18-Apr-19 20:39:07

Having decided not to have children, married a man with a DS. As a result, a wonderful DIL, two adorable DGS who call me Nana : and so do their 3 cousins! Didn't see that coming ....

Ninkaninus Thu 18-Apr-19 20:39:14

I really never envisaged that I’d be one of life’s ‘failures’.

HotSauceCommittee Thu 18-Apr-19 20:39:15

The happy marriage and kids; I warned DH nine years in, a few months before the wedding that if he married me, it was unlikely I’d want kids. 10 months after the wedding, we had DS1 (on purpose-not accidentally).
I never expected to be happily married. We were happy together, finally “getting around” to getting married after nine years. Now, 26 years in, I am amazed to be happily married.
On the less positive, I never expected to be so mediocre career-wise and academically. At school, O was told I was clever because I was a big fish in a little pond. Once out of that pond, well, I didn’t really progress. I finally am progressing, way into my 40’s, for all the right reasons (belief in what I am doing) in my own little way.

Alwaysgrey Thu 18-Apr-19 20:40:13

I never thought I’d have two dc with disabilities. One very severely disabled. As much as I love them the youngest has ruined my life and how I thought I’d live my life will never now happen.

BlackAndTanDog Thu 18-Apr-19 20:40:30

Having a stroke in my 20s.
Having a child when I was nearly 40 (unintentionally - was adamant that I wanted to be sterilised when I was 16) - I utterly utterly adore him. 😍

ContessaIsOnADietDammit Thu 18-Apr-19 20:40:47

I never expected to meet anyone who'd find me attractive, let alone marry me. Children were something I assumed would only happen if I adopted them. I'm very grateful for all three things happening!

I never expected my omnipresent, claustrophobic mother to die when I was still relatively young. The prospect of living half my life without her is half exhilarating, half daunting.

Widowodiw Thu 18-Apr-19 20:40:54

Widowed at 38- never saw that one coming.

Hopeygoflightly Thu 18-Apr-19 20:41:18

Being able to marry a woman, have kids with her and live openly. Not in a million years did I think that would be possible when I was a teenager terrified of being ‘found out’ as gay.

lboogy Thu 18-Apr-19 20:42:11

Having my first baby at 40. I figured I'd be in my late twenties by the time I had my first child

weegiemum Thu 18-Apr-19 20:42:51

Never thought I'd end up disabled with s rare neurological syndrome, but there you go.

Never thought anyone would want to marry me but I have a wonderful dh (25 years this year) and 3 fantastic kids.

weebarra Thu 18-Apr-19 20:43:17

Breast cancer at 36.
Meeting the love of my life at 18 and having three wonderful children.
Have a DS with a genetic condition and ADHD.

BillywigSting Thu 18-Apr-19 20:46:04

Bad - friend died of leukaemia when we were 9

Another friend died of a heart attack when I was 22 (he was 29, we played tabletop games together)

groomed and sexually assaulted multiple times by best friends older brother between the ages of 13 and 15

Failed all my exams spectacularly despite on paper being very academically able

Nasty bout of depression as a teen/young adult and seriously considered suicide

Notable I think that most of the bad was post assault.

Good - met now dp at 17, who helped me to heal. Now trained as a chef (which I love), have ds (who I adore) and with a bit of hard work and a lot of luck we will be mortgage free and under 30 and 35 respectively in the next six months.

Life is looking up right now

AguerosAngel Thu 18-Apr-19 20:46:10

My beautiful Mum passing away.

She was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away four weeks later.

Obviously I always knew she was going to pass away eventually, but not like that, she was only 68. We absolutely adored her and her loss is massive. I hate cancer, the fucker.

April241 Thu 18-Apr-19 20:46:43

On the positive - never though I'd marry my best friend. Like, my actual best friend. I always find it really strange that we were friends so long, through all different boyfriends and girlfriends then we ended up together.

For the negative, I never in a million years thought my Gran would cut me out her life. Still don't know the reason but its been about 15 months since I last seen her and about a year since we last spoke on the phone. She lives a 5 minute drive from my house aswell. All happened when I fell pregnant, very strange, very hurtful and very confusing.

Putthatlampshadeonyourhead Thu 18-Apr-19 20:47:32

Never though I would be married at 20 and have 2 kids by 29.

Definitely never thought my husband of 10 years would start abusing me and then rape me.

Didnt expect to be a single parent in my 30s, in a small terraced house instead of our lovely night family home. But I am happier than ever.

Certainly didnt expect my best friends brother, who I had never met, to move back into the area and end up with him. She hadnt seen him for years. We met and have pretty much been together ever since.

Didnt expect to have a relationship again, at all, Especially one that's had no drama and is just easy.

emotionalaffair Thu 18-Apr-19 20:48:34

I never thought DH would have an affair. I thought he was a good one. I think he did too..

MazDazzle Thu 18-Apr-19 20:48:41

Within a couple of years my mum had a mental breakdown and was diagnosed as bi-polar and my dad died suddenly. They were both in their 40s.

Best - I graduated, enjoy my job and have great friends.

(I’m also very happily married, although mumsnet has taught me not to take that for granted!)

NameChangeSameRage Thu 18-Apr-19 20:49:37

I never thought I would be childless, but it looks like I am going to be, for various reasons.
I never thought I would be living the life I am but I am.

PinkGlitter123 Thu 18-Apr-19 20:51:33

Loads. Getting a chronic health condition is up there. As is being single at my age, thought I would be married by now. Same with falling out and no longer seeing most of my family.
My life has been a real disappointment so far. I hope it changes as I can't stand the thought of more sadness and disappointments.

Chocolate35 Thu 18-Apr-19 20:52:27

Never thought I’d be renting in my thirties. I thought EVERYONE owns a house in their adult years. Still not even close.

AnneTwackie Thu 18-Apr-19 20:53:10

Bad: Being someone who doesn’t speak to my dad, I hate that I’m one of those people but it’s the only way to stay sane.
Good: owing a bridal shop.

rabbitheadlights Thu 18-Apr-19 20:53:19

never expected to have children, was always adamant that I was too selfish or just wanted to be the "cool auntie"

I now have 6 beautiful DCs and another on the way

historyrocks Thu 18-Apr-19 20:54:43

Never thought my brother would die in his sleeep aged 24

Never thought I’d develop bipolar disorder aged 34, having no history of mental illness. It’s a fucking destructive and sometimes torturous condition.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »