Talk

Advanced search

To be fuming that dd school have given me 4 days notice for her leaving service-and she`s the only leaver !

(16 Posts)
fakeblonde Sat 14-Jul-07 23:37:31

Yes, we have been asking since Jan for the date of the leavers service as we know how c**p they are with giving notice for ANYTHING !
I work and am working on Tuesday.
DD`s leavers service is at(10 am and as she is only 1 of 2 leaving (very small school of only 23 pupils ) she is devastated that i cant be there.
I feel dreadful, but am a midwife and cant get cover.
God i am so cross.

WendyWeber Sat 14-Jul-07 23:40:00

Can't they change the date, as there are only 2? Or make it earlier, or later - what time is your shift?

fakeblonde Sat 14-Jul-07 23:41:39

I`m on a 9-5.
If i ask them to change the day on Mon would that be unreasonable ?

hufflebranpuff Sat 14-Jul-07 23:41:54

What's a leaving service?

If you didn't let your dd attend school on Tuesday would they still go ahead with the leaving service or would they reschedule for a date that you could make?

WendyWeber Sat 14-Jul-07 23:46:51

Well I don't think it's unreasonable - not for such a small school - they might not agree though!

Which days could you make it? Do they break up at the end of the week?

fakeblonde Sat 14-Jul-07 23:46:57

I`m not sure really.
They would know why i didn`t send her because i have asked so many times for more notice.
I haven`t been able to go to anything in the last few years because the most notice we get is about 4 days-usually less !
Trouble is its a tint school full of farmers kids who`s parents are mostly self employed-ds is going elsewhere now for this sole reason.

fakeblonde Sat 14-Jul-07 23:47:22

Tiny even

fakeblonde Sat 14-Jul-07 23:48:19

A leavers service is were she has to do a speach on her time at the school and all the children have to stand up and say why they will miss her-

fakeblonde Sat 14-Jul-07 23:49:12

She doesn`t want to go if i cant be there, and i dont blame her really.

hufflebranpuff Sat 14-Jul-07 23:53:23

Well I have a bit of a problem with authority so I would be tempted to tell them to get stuffed and keep her off, especially if she doesn't want to go if you're not there. She's leaving anyway. Alternatively help her write a speech that includes reasons why she won't miss the school, including that not enough notice is given for her dm to attend functions. [evil emoticon]

fakeblonde Sat 14-Jul-07 23:57:36

OOOOh lovely huffle.
She did mention wanting to write what she DIDN`T like actually.
I might just let her stay off for the rest of the week as she`s a very good and sensible girl who normally works hard.
I will ask them on Monday to change the day and if they cant i will retaliate (sp )
Fed up of running around after everyone anyway !

Cheers x

HelenLoveJoyOfSpringfield Sun 15-Jul-07 00:07:28

I sorta can see this from the other side.

My dd goes to a local school & there are only 70 pupils. We are regularily given a few days notice of events.

On sports day for example, it was rained off but the head master asked parents to call at 11am to see if they were going to proceed after dinner... they did! And on that day he announced about a mass the following day.

I think it would be a bit unreasonable to ask them to move it to a day that suits you. Especially if they have organised it around other events at the school. what about the other child's parent/guardian? What if they can't make it any other day?

Is there a chance that her dad/grandparent could go in your place?

Sometimes at smaller schools they organise things easily to fit in with plans on certain days. For example we were told prizegiving would be at either 10am or 1pm And not to worry if we couldn't make it. There are often some parents not there, I can only make it to the end of year events as I have the summer off, but the Xmas events, unless at night, I can never make.

fakeblonde Sun 15-Jul-07 00:19:49

Dd is the only girl in her year.
The other leaver is a boy whose mum is the infant teacher.
There are 4 of them in the juniors, thats year 4 5 and 6 inclusive.
I have been asking since January for the day and as far as i know there is nothing else on for parents this week.
While 70 is a small number 23 is weeny and i really feel they have had plenty of time to organise a date.
My parents are abroad and dh is working also.
What really makes me mad is that i could have had the day off with a little notice but i have been put in this position far too many times now and it just causes unnecessary stress .

cat64 Sun 15-Jul-07 00:55:14

Message withdrawn

mylittlefreya Sun 15-Jul-07 10:56:17

I'm not surprised you're fuming. You've been willing to work round them AND tried to get arrangements so you can be there. A sad end for her to keep her off - but she sounds like she has the sense of humour and maturity to rise above it.

cat64 Mon 16-Jul-07 22:52:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: