Talk

Advanced search

To really fancy a glass of wine but can't because

(20 Posts)
Roselinemac Tue 16-Apr-19 11:49:53

I have the hangover from hell after only 2 glasses!

So Easter is upon us and there is nothing I would love more than to enjoy the day outs with my LO's then to curl up with a glass of wine or 2 and some chocolate but I can't because the hangovers are so awful these days. I'm 45 and could easily of drank every night before my 40's without a hangover, but now there is no chance. I'm so jealous of hubby sat with this cans of dark fruits relaxing envy whilst I'm having a brew, just not fair sad

EmeraldShamrock Tue 16-Apr-19 12:03:19

Take 2 nurofen with plenty of water before you sleep. It works, but it is not a remedy you can use often.

resultswithintwoweeks Tue 16-Apr-19 12:04:45

I find spirits fine but wine a big no-no now. May just be a question of finding yourself another drink?

Delatron Tue 16-Apr-19 12:06:45

Sometimes it’s the sulphites in wine. I feel the same. Are there any drinks that don’t make you feel hungover after a couple of glasses?

You could you drink loads of water in between glasses? I feel your pain it’s so annoying.

If I drink more than one glass I basically have a terrible nights sleep. Drinking a bit earlier, say 5-6pm. Stopping then drinking loads of water helps a bit.

MrsMozartMkII Tue 16-Apr-19 12:06:48

I feel your pain.

I don't drink, but am currently suffering my version of a 'hangover' from eating chocolate yesterday. Feel shit.

Am off for a long soak in the bath.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 16-Apr-19 12:06:53

Alternate with water, choose lower alcohol wine, put in a splash of sparkling water. Have with food.

I'm probably fortunate that I like cava, or any other fizz, as it's only 10-11%, so quite a lot less alcohol than 'big reds' at 14%.

Have the first glass quite early and the second a couple of hours later?

joystir59 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:07:49

As I approached the menopause my tolerance for caffeine and alcohol became much reduced.

Sakura7 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:10:36

A tip I was once given which really works - mix up a dioralyte sachet with water after drinking but before you go to bed. It rehydrates you while you sleep. Never get a hangover if I do this.

IncrediblySadToo Tue 16-Apr-19 12:12:08

I think you just need to find a wine you can drink or another drink. There’s a WHOLE load of options other than wine or tea!

I can drink whatever without a headache or hangover except Pinot Grigio - it’s a guaranteed headache.

Just try different things (only one at once obviously) and make a note of how you feel afterwards...you’ll work out what it is causing the problem.

Sirzy Tue 16-Apr-19 12:12:16

If I’m drinking at home I tend to get one of the low alcohol wines. Could you try that?

Roselinemac Tue 16-Apr-19 12:17:10

Yes I've tried various other drinks, a glass of gin and I'm up all night can't sleep. Beer and vodka I'm awake very early and can't get back to sleep so that doesn't help.

I think I'll try Dioralyte as I've heard this before, might try it on Friday night. Hope it works, its bad enough getting older as it is I just feel like this is a massive pisstake!

FiveLittlePigs Tue 16-Apr-19 12:19:58

Sadly it's an age thing. I've discovered that I just don't fancy an alcoholic drink any more and prefer to have a cup of tea instead. shock

I'm debating about sloping off to join Gransnet. After I've phoned the hairdresser and booked a weekly shampoo and set, of course. wink

Now where's my slippers?

Roselinemac Tue 16-Apr-19 12:47:39

Yes FiveLittlePigs I'm not as keen on alcohol as I have been but I do like the fruity stuff like echo falls fruit & berries wine or pink gin with lemonade and fruit x

CupOhTea Tue 16-Apr-19 12:49:52

Oh that’s interesting re gin keeping you awake op... I had a single gin and tonic (and I mean a single as it was measured out) last night and woke up at about 3, completely unable to go back to sleep! Will have to avoid that now ginsad.

I don’t get hangovers yet, but I’m only 36... another lovely thing to look forward to then!

Roselinemac Tue 16-Apr-19 13:49:44

Yes Gin & Tonic or Lemonade does that to me CupOhTea No you've nothing to look forward to really, as soon as you hit 40 its all downhill from there on sad

Delatron Tue 16-Apr-19 15:27:55

On the plus side I’ve heard after the menopause it’s all fine again!

I think 40-60 (arrgghh that’s 20 years) is hard hormonally. Things get out of whack, sleep is affected etc.

Don’t anyone dare say any different! I’m looking forward to being a lush in my later years!

Roselinemac Tue 16-Apr-19 20:49:29

On the plus side I’ve heard after the menopause it’s all fine again!

So I might be able to have a drink without an hangover in about 15 years!

confusedconfusedconfusedsad

managedmis Tue 16-Apr-19 20:51:00

Talk to me girlfriend

I had three glasses Friday night and was a disaster on Saturday

Just ain't worth it no more

Earslaps Tue 16-Apr-19 22:43:01

I'm not quite 40 but I've noticed my quality of sleep really suffers when I have alcohol. I don't get a hangover until over half a bottle, but I just feel more tired and a bit low.

I've cut right back on the alcohol so I only drink a bit on Friday and Saturday now, helps with keeping my weight steady too.

I'm having soda water with lime and fresh mint tonight, I also like soda water with cucumber. And I drink a lot of peppermint tea and camomile tea.

Roselinemac Tue 16-Apr-19 22:59:06

No it's definitely not worth it but seen as it's Easter and I'm off work for a week, would just be nice to have a couple of glasses in the garden.

I only drink on Saturdays now it's my treat night with a takeaway so the hangover isn't that bad but it always is and then Sunday I always ending up craving carbs and sweet things. It's a vicious circle 😱😥.

I'm definitely trying Dirolyte and will let you know if it works.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »