Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - to think this is too much?

(256 Posts)
Harveyrabbit76 Mon 15-Apr-19 14:58:54

My MIL has offered to buy my DS (nearly 3) a micro scooter (about £60)for Easter as I don't let him have easter eggs (obviously they are comparable?! :-)). AIBU to have said no as I think its too much money and missing the point of Easter? I grew up going to church on Easter Sunday and maybe having a couple of chocolate eggs.
Easter for me is more about being with family having a meal with maybe an easter egg hunt (plastic ones or something similar), not making it into Christmas part 2.
I know I have probably hurt MIL's feelings but I have said this would be a very generous gift for his birthday in August. What do you think?

PutyourtoponTrevor Mon 15-Apr-19 15:00:43

So just let her buy him an Easter egg then?

ThisIsTheEndgame Mon 15-Apr-19 15:00:43

Fwiw I agree with you.

Harveyrabbit76 Mon 15-Apr-19 15:02:33

So just let her buy him an Easter egg then?

Its the whole chocolate thing, i don't let him have it for various reasons.

livingthegoodlife Mon 15-Apr-19 15:02:41

I agree with you. There are lots of Easter craft books or Easter books for about £2 which would be a more suitable alternative gift.

InDubiousBattle Mon 15-Apr-19 15:03:44

I think he'll get a lot more use out of a scooter if he gets it now and 2 year olds don't fully understand the value of things. She wants to do a nice thing for her dgs, you could just say it's a special gift from his grandma if you don't want to raise expectations of Easter.

Confusedbeetle Mon 15-Apr-19 15:04:10

I do think you are right but tact is good, It would be a brilliant and generous birthday present. I am sure you have said it kindly, she could buy a small gift clouring book or jigsaw. Perhaps she would like to paint and hide some hard-boiled eggs with him. If you have handled it softly you won't have hurt her feelings, esp if you include her. She at least asked you first, many grandparents don't so thank her for that, it was a nice thought, just a bit misplaced

InDubiousBattle Mon 15-Apr-19 15:04:47

Or just let him have a little Easter egg.

Cath2907 Mon 15-Apr-19 15:06:55

just let the poor kid have an Easter egg!

Fiveredbricks Mon 15-Apr-19 15:07:29

So let her buy him an easter egg with stickers or arts n crafts stuff in it, or a wooden toy.

A 3yr old isn't going to implode if he eats a bit of an easter egg you know, OP.

And refusing to let him have it now will just mean he eats a shit tonne more of it as he gets older. Maybe teach him self control with it instead of outright banning it? All you're doing is teaching him how to have food issues. Anyone who bans a food outright has some underlying control issues or is slightly neurotic imo.

Widowodiw Mon 15-Apr-19 15:07:32

Can he not have an egg at Easter as a treat? I say this as someone who can’t eat chocolate at all as it gives me headaches- so unless it’s a reason like that.

You are very lucky she wants to buy him a present and yes spoil him a lot of children don’t have this. If you don’t want the scooter why not ask her to take him on a specual family day out? Picnic in the park or something equally non expensive.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 15-Apr-19 15:09:01

FFS, unless he's allergic just let her buy him an egg.

GarthFunkel Mon 15-Apr-19 15:09:15

Could you just not eat the egg yourself?

Hunkyd0ry Mon 15-Apr-19 15:09:39

My 2 year old has been given 1 egg and I think that’s plenty, her godmother has bought her a dragon egg instead and she will love it.
If he’d like the scooter could it be his birthday gift (you said he was nearly 3) but he has it early so he gets more use from it?

Redglitter Mon 15-Apr-19 15:10:37

Can you let her get it but as pp suggested just say it's a present without the Easter element.

My Mum did similar for my nieces years ago. She bought them a trampoline. They both have winter birthdays so she thought Spring was a better time for an outdoor present. It ended up an Easter present more down to timing than anything

IvanaPee Mon 15-Apr-19 15:10:38

Ffs just let him have an egg! 🙄🙄🙄

BertrandRussell Mon 15-Apr-19 15:12:07

But this is the perfect time of year for a scooter- he’ll get loads of use out of it. By August he’ll only have a bit of summer left. Sounds a brilliant idea.

pelirocco123 Mon 15-Apr-19 15:14:05

I have 8 grandchildren , I never buy them easter eggs , they get enough from other people , and no one needs that much chocolate
Igive them a card with £5
I used to do they same with my children , grandparents and Aunty bought them eggs , they never ate the damn things anyway

WorraLiberty Mon 15-Apr-19 15:15:42

It's a non issue.

Either let him have the egg or a scooter. It doesn't make it 'Christmas' does it?

IcecreamCustard Mon 15-Apr-19 15:17:52

TBH he is only three YABU.

Bluntness100 Mon 15-Apr-19 15:18:03

So he's not allowed chocolate, and he's not allowed gifts.

Why is his childhood so puritanical like this? Even you got chocolate eggs. Why are you denying your son?

NerrSnerr Mon 15-Apr-19 15:20:23

I agree with PP, let him have the chocolate or let him have the gift.

My children and 4 and 2. They'll both get a huge egg from my MIL. They'll eat bits of it and then forget about it and in a couple of weeks time my husband and I will finish them off. It really shouldn't be a big deal.

InDubiousBattle Mon 15-Apr-19 15:20:29

Is it really worth hurting her feelings for? Grandparent spoiling their grandchild a little bit is hardly shocking news.

Stifledlife Mon 15-Apr-19 15:20:33

All the kids I have met who had Mother's who didn't agree with giving them sweets or chocolate at all when they were small, are the ones at parties shovelling in sweets and ignoring the carrot sticks and cucumbers, and in one case, the whole party!

Moderation in all things.
..and a scooter isn't appropriate for easter IMHO. She could get him an easter colouring book and coloured pencils, or another small easterish gift, but let her get him a little egg.

Connieston Mon 15-Apr-19 15:20:39

Take the scooter! A decent one will last a few years. It could be the surprise at the end of an Easter egg hunt with perhaps tiny choc eggs with each clue as opposed to big boxed ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: