Talk

Advanced search

Can I leave my dog alone overnight?

(208 Posts)
Strawberrypancakes Sun 14-Apr-19 17:47:45

I’ve totally screwed up with the dog sitter and booked him for the day after we go away, we leave the Saturday but I stupidly booked him Sunday to Sunday and now he’s got another booking and can’t change. Its so last minute I’m really struggling, but I’ve found someone who will come and walk him, feed him etc Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday morning... it just means he’ll be alone overnight.

He’s a pretty good dog and quite old now, but I’ve never done anything like this before and not sure if it’s okay..

Would you do it? confused

SpriggyTheHedgehog Sun 14-Apr-19 17:50:21

No.Absolutely not. That's far too long for a dog.

CalmDownPacino Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:23

Definitely not that's way too long, really cruel imo.

Usuallyinthemiddle Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:29

Please don't.

BertrandRussell Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:30

Eek! We had to do this once and we felt awful, but she was fine. Could the person not take him to their house for the night?
Could you put out an appeal on FB for someone to spend the night at your house? Do you have any friends with older teenagers?

ShatFic Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:31

No

Confusedbeetle Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:43

I think you need to find a friend who will sleep over

Beamur Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:44

He'll be fine. I did this with my Mum's dog a few times whilst she was in hospital as it seemed less disruptive than bringing the dog to my house (dog very timid)
Dog survived the ordeal (now lives with me anyway) smile

TheDarkPassenger Sun 14-Apr-19 17:52:00

Mine was fine when I left her, but I knew she would be anyway as me and oh have had nights out where we’ve come in at 5am and she’s been fast asleep. Mum came and walked her evening walk and fed and watered her before she went to bed and we got home late morning.

Prepared to be blasted on here though. I am! You know you’re own dog smile

feelingsinister Sun 14-Apr-19 17:53:00

No, it's too long for a dog. I know people who have done this but I really don't think it's fair.

Aprilladvised Sun 14-Apr-19 17:53:21

I did for my dog when she was old and too distressed by kennels. I had a neighbour who knew her come in and feed her and just sit with her at intervals and before bed then first thing in the morning. The radio was left on and she was in her own home and bed. I figured it was the best option for her.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:53:43

No I wouldn’t.

OneOfTheGrundys Sun 14-Apr-19 17:53:49

Mine are elderly and are ok to be left for up to 5/6 hours max if walked well before (they sleep) but never overnight. They’d both be really scared.
So no-I honestly wouldn’t.

DawgLover Sun 14-Apr-19 17:53:56

I wouldn't, in that situation I'd change the date i left or find an overnight sitter but absolutely would not choose to leave him alone for what sounds like 12+ hours.

A day with a dog boarder/local kennels would be preferable to leaving him alone in the house.

SinglePringle Sun 14-Apr-19 17:55:25

I absolutely would not do this. It would be so distressing for our dog. We don’t leave her longer than 4 hours and even then, I get jittery.

If your dogs routine is to be mostlywith people, leaving her overnight would be cruel

Bambamber Sun 14-Apr-19 17:56:10

I would only do it if someone could be with the dog on the Saturday evening until the dog goes to bed and then someone is there first thing in the morning. Otherwise he will only have fleeting visits all day on the Saturday by the sounds of it and completely alone overnight. He will be really bored and lonely

Strawberrypancakes Sun 14-Apr-19 17:56:18

I can’t change the date we’re leaving as they only fly to that island one day a week. I’m so stupid, I can’t believe I booked the wrong day 😭

I’m still trying really hard to find someone.

LizziesTwin Sun 14-Apr-19 17:56:21

Although house fires are rare how would he get out if there was an emergency? Unlikely but possible.

bordellosboheme Sun 14-Apr-19 17:56:38

The dig will be fine and sleep all night anyway.

BiteyShark Sun 14-Apr-19 17:56:43

My dog would be really upset and anxious on his own overnight so no I wouldn't do it for that reason.

DawgLover Sun 14-Apr-19 17:57:38

Could you arrange for something like borrowmydoggy or ask the person taking him on Sunday to suggest anyone who could help on the Saturday?

Strawberrypancakes Sun 14-Apr-19 17:57:39

I work from home so he’s not alone often, it is fine at being left if we go out for the day or something. Overnight just feels a little different as he’d usually be on our bed with us.

Squeegle Sun 14-Apr-19 17:58:20

Could you take the dog to a kennel for a night?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:58:21

Could you put him in a kennel for the day/night and dog sitter pick him up from there on the Sunday?

ILoveMaxiBondi Sun 14-Apr-19 17:58:32

Could your friend who is walking him Saturday evening and morning stay over with him? Or take them to their house?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: