Talk

Advanced search

To urgently ask how to clean vomit mattress?!

(14 Posts)
Iamthecaptainnow Sat 13-Apr-19 08:58:36

Moving house so cot didn't have mattress protector on it (dammit!) and toddler DC has thrown up in the night for the first time. Only discovered it at 8am (he's a champ!) and sleeping bag and sheet are in the wash after a lot of Vanish spray. How the heck do I clean the poor mattress?

dementedpixie Sat 13-Apr-19 09:01:11

I would maybe get one of those pet enzyme cleaners from the pet shop as that would break down the odour molecules.

LucyInTheSkyy Sat 13-Apr-19 09:01:16

Blot up as much as possible with a damp cloth then bio washing powder and water mix to saturate. Leave to dry standing up next to radiator.
Then lie flat once dry, very generous covering of bicarb of soda, leave for couple of hours and hoover off.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 13-Apr-19 09:01:22

I hate the over use of Zoflora these days but it really is fantastic at getting rid of the vomit smell. Get the Fresh Linen one so it's not too overpowering and dilute well.

Candleglow7475 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:01:41

Make a solution of hot waster & washing up liquid, to get the majority out. Then something like hot water & disinfectant or vanish spray / stain remover type stuff and really scrub at it. Leave it outside to dry / air If you can.

dementedpixie Sat 13-Apr-19 09:01:43

Does the mattress not have a wipe clean surface?

Teateaandmoretea Sat 13-Apr-19 09:04:50

I think buying a new one is the solution, sorry sad

TheVanguardSix Sat 13-Apr-19 09:06:31

Baking soda. 24 hours. Gets the smell out.
Clean it off next day with hot water and distilled vinegar.

TheVanguardSix Sat 13-Apr-19 09:08:25

Just to add: I’d buy a new one myself but short term, baking soda is your friend for so many, many things!

Everyone should have an industrial sized pot of baking soda and an industrial sized bottle of distilled vinegar in a cupboard. Miracle products.

AssignedFuckerAtBirth Sat 13-Apr-19 09:14:25

I second using some bicarb washing powder. My daughter vomited all over my mattress a few weeks ago and the smell was horrendous. I tried everything then a friend recommended this. I had already washed and sprayed the area so it was damp. I simply sprinkled loads of bicarbonate washing powder (think it was Persil) I dont think the actual make matters as long as it is non bio.
I left it a load of hours with the bedroom window open, came back and hoovered the washing powder off. The smell was completely gone!

AssignedFuckerAtBirth Sat 13-Apr-19 09:15:11

As long as it is NOT non bio ffs

Allfednonedead Sat 13-Apr-19 09:40:19

I’m seconding the pet enzyme cleaners. I used Pet Healthcare Totalcare spray on my bed twice this week, thanks to DD1’s vomiting bug, and it’s magic.

Iamthecaptainnow Mon 15-Apr-19 06:46:46

Thanks for all your replies- I caught whatever it was baby had, and was 100x more ill. Finally feeling human today. Turned out the mattress did have a waterproof cover, two actually, that I'd not spotted in my panic! So managed to clean those and salvage the situation. Will get some pet enzymes and bicarbonate of soda in for future events...

HBStowe Mon 15-Apr-19 06:50:10

What LucyInTheSkyy said!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »