Talk

Advanced search

Will the police take this seriously?

(45 Posts)
ImAwfulWithUsernames Fri 12-Apr-19 22:39:28

I work in a shop and recently we had a young lady 'try' to steal a bottle of herbal liquid. At the till we told her we could see it in her pram, she apologised and said she didn't want it anymore, paid for her other goods and left the shop. I've reported this to the police and have cctv of her trying to hide the bottle in her pram.

Will the police actually do anything about this? We had her details as she used her members information during her purchase, so her address and phone number and name etc. I'm not that bothered personally, I thought she just seemed a bit out of luck but I had to report as per procedure.

Do police actually go to addresses of attempted thieves and issue arrest? Or do they just have it noted down if the same person attempts it again? She's never done this in our store before.

Only asking as I'm genuinely interested to know if anything will ever come of this!

somewhereovertheroad Fri 12-Apr-19 22:40:27

No crime was actually committed so I would think not.

notsomumsymum Fri 12-Apr-19 22:42:48

They won’t arrest her.

They’ll probably just log the call with the details you passed.

How much did the herbal liquid cost?

AnnieMay100 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:43:31

It’s unlikely... it’s only theft if they leave the shop with it unpaid. Also using confidential details is probably a breech (if someone can confirm) just make sure security are aware of her for future

Dramatical Fri 12-Apr-19 22:44:01

Nothing will come of it.

recrudescence Fri 12-Apr-19 22:44:14

The bottom line is that she left the shop with only things she had paid for. The police have nothing to investigate.

ScottishMummy12 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:44:49

There is nothing the police can do. For it to be classed as theft she would of had to have left the shop with it so technically she has done nothing wrong.
I am pretty sure using her details for something like this would breach gdpr.

creamcheeseandlox Fri 12-Apr-19 22:45:10

Arrest her for what...she didn't steal anything. confused you think police have the time to go to address of people who haven't committed a crime when they haven't even got the time to speak to people who are wanted for crimes...please don't waste police time with stuff like this.

adaline Fri 12-Apr-19 22:46:35

No - she didn't actually commit a crime. She paid for what she wanted and left it behind.

AvengersAssemble Fri 12-Apr-19 22:46:44

She give you it and said she did not want it, so no crime was committed. If she had left the shop with it still inside then yes probably.

3boysandabump Fri 12-Apr-19 22:48:31

No the police won't do anything as pp have said she didn't commit a crime

ImAwfulWithUsernames Fri 12-Apr-19 22:48:49

Ahh okay. I'm not clear on shoplifting laws and tried to have a google but can't find much info on these specific situations!

I was just curious as to if this would come to anything or not , as I've not had it before smile

MrBrown Fri 12-Apr-19 22:50:53

it’s only theft if they leave the shop with it unpaid

Not true, its technically theft if they don't leave the store with the item, but go past the point of payment (the till), so say for example that they got all the way to the door and were then confronted by security and handed the item back, that's still classed theft even though they didn't leave the store and the item was returned.

MrBrown Fri 12-Apr-19 22:52:46

Obviously in this situation, she returned the item before attempting to leave so no theft but could possibly be an attempt theft I suppose. However, still doubtful anything will happen to her.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 12-Apr-19 22:54:04

It's not technically true if for example a security guard stops a shoplifter on their way to the for with goods in their pockets they can still be arrested, but you let her go and you can't price anything she could just say oh yes I put it in the pram meaning to pay and forgot it was there and then the person in the shop embarrassed me by scudding me of stealing so I left it. If she has no previous I don't see the CPS pursuing charges. In future you ask her to wait in an area or the back while you disk to her and ask the police to attend then. Use security if you have it including local high Street schemes etc, they are used to dealing with it

Amanduh Fri 12-Apr-19 22:57:18

😂 erm no.

Whitechocandraspberry Fri 12-Apr-19 22:57:53

It is a crime. You don’t need to leave the shop or get past the till. If it is concealed it is a crime

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 12-Apr-19 22:58:37

Attempted shoptheft would be covered by Section 172 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, under subsection 5 if the item was under £200 which it sounds like it was, technically it can be pursued under the theft act 1981 but there are amendments under the 2014 act to deal with low level shoptheft and attempts as summary (mags) offences

sweeneytoddsrazor Fri 12-Apr-19 23:03:13

Myself and a colleague were assaulted at work this week. Police didnt turn up.

MaryBoBary Fri 12-Apr-19 23:05:00

What’s a herbal liquid?!?

NC4Now Fri 12-Apr-19 23:07:29

I think it will be very low down the list of priorities.

Serin Fri 12-Apr-19 23:13:54

Would also like to know what you mean by herbal liquid?
Shampoo?

Nofunkingworriesmate Fri 12-Apr-19 23:17:11

Government cuts have lead to police announcing they will not turn up for burglaries were there is no dNA evidence ( which is fair enough what's the point of two police spending an hour in your house when there is zero chance of catching anyone without DNA or equivalent cctv is mostly men with faces covered and no good either)

Shopping centres usually deal with shoplifters themselves by banning them and don't bother the police

booksandcaffeine Fri 12-Apr-19 23:23:34

Herbal liquid? Was it Jagermeister?

LovelyJubbly67 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:30:32

Police are too busy prosecuting people who "liked" someting un-PC on FB

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »