Talk

Advanced search

To be getting increasingly pissed off with drivers not stopping at zebra crossings?

(103 Posts)
Rainatnight Fri 12-Apr-19 22:39:28

Is this happening in anyone else's area? Over the past couple of years, I've noticed a real problem in my area with drivers not stopping at zebra crossings. I thought it was just cos I'd just become a pushchair-pusher and was out walking around with DD more, so was noticing it.

But recently it's got even worse again, and it's now happening at least once a day where I live.

It's so dangerous!

What's it like where other people live? And is there anything that can be done? I feel like I should complain to someone but I don't know who!

greenelephantscarf Fri 12-Apr-19 22:41:31

yanbu
in our area it seems that red lights are becoming optional as well confused

Nacreous Fri 12-Apr-19 22:43:28

Take down their number plate, preferably car colour and make if you can. Ring the police on 101. Report. Every time. If enough people do this then it will get cracked down on.

This assumes you had one foot in the crossing as that is the point at which cars are obliged to stop. They won't prosecute unless there's another witness but they will ring and tell the driver off over the phone.

wwydoo Fri 12-Apr-19 22:43:45

London is a nightmare for this.

Rainatnight Fri 12-Apr-19 22:44:00

Really? Crikey, that's awful.

AnnieMay100 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:46:04

Happens a lot here in London and it is very frustrating and dangerous. But.. it’s not actually illegal to carry on driving if people are waiting to cross, unless they have already began crossing (which you’d hope they’d stop for!), little fact from my driving instructor friend.

recrudescence Fri 12-Apr-19 22:47:45

I’m so pleased to have seen this thread because it’s something I have definitely noticed recently. I always shout after the offending car and wave my arms about but I doubt that achieves much!

Rainatnight Fri 12-Apr-19 22:49:28

Sorry, my post was @greenelephantscarf

I'm in London.

Nacreous They're going WAY to fast to even see if anyone has their foot on the crossing. And similarly too fast to take down plate. I think if I was quick with my phone I could snap it, though I'm usually wrestling pushchair, scooter, DD, DS etc. And trying not to get us all killed!

recrudescence Fri 12-Apr-19 22:50:33

it’s not actually illegal to carry on driving if people are waiting to cross, unless they have already began crossing

Really? I always believed it was enough for a pedestrian to show that she or he wanted/intended to cross.

Rainatnight Fri 12-Apr-19 22:51:30

recrudescence yep, LOTS of shouting and arm waving here. Swearing too, if I don't have the DC with me. I already get a lot of 'Mama, why are you shouting at that car?' grin

3boysandabump Fri 12-Apr-19 22:51:43

Ds pram was nearly hit last week while we were half way over the zebra crossing. I went absolutely ballistic at the woman in the car. I'm fairly certain she was on her phone 😡

AnnieMay100 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:52:29

Me too but apparently not!

Rainatnight Fri 12-Apr-19 22:53:15

Here's the relevant bit of the Highway Code. I think the bits that say MUST are the only things it's illegal not to do, and all them other stuff is just stuff they'd like you to do.

www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/pedestrian-crossings.html

Rainatnight Fri 12-Apr-19 22:54:06

Shit, 3boys, that's awful! So she stopped?

I have to say, it's always, always men here.

mashpot Fri 12-Apr-19 22:55:52

Yes, massive problem where I am in S London. Drives me mad, I’m trying to teach my kids some road safety for independence ☹️

BlueSkiesLies Fri 12-Apr-19 23:01:52

Yup same in east London.

General standard of driving is getting much worse.

Amanduh Fri 12-Apr-19 23:04:00

We are in the middle of the countryside and same. Awful.

FunnyHappyGirl Fri 12-Apr-19 23:08:39

Yes, you don't have to stop unless someone's started walking.

As a driver it annoys me when people walk on to the crossing without even looking. I'll always stop if I see people at the crossing but it's getting silly the amount of people that start crossing without even looking.

phoenixrosehere Fri 12-Apr-19 23:18:14

They’re ridiculous where I am in Oxfordshire and the crossing is in front of the police station.

Are drivers really in that much of a hurry that you can’t wait for pedestrians to actually get across the street before you go? Is it that difficult to let pedestrians cross the street when they are obviously waiting to cross and there are flashing lights informing you of this? Drivers don’t seem to care until they actually injure or even kill someone.

phoenixrosehere Fri 12-Apr-19 23:18:47

*they

HundredMilesAnHour Fri 12-Apr-19 23:27:19

They're going WAY to fast to even see if anyone has their foot on the crossing.

Yes, this happens near me (east London) a lot. If I was on the crossing, there's no way they could stop in time (it's a 20mph zone but so many cars are way over the limit). At one crossing in particular, I wonder if the drivers have actually even noticed that it's a zebra crossing. Which makes me worry how many other things they're not paying attention to.

starzig Fri 12-Apr-19 23:33:48

If you are not crossing, they don't need to stop. So stop standing waiting and just cross the GD road.
The number of times I wouldnt have to stop if people would just cross rather than wait annoys me just a tad.

Krimpy Fri 12-Apr-19 23:39:03

They're going WAY to fast to even see if anyone has their foot on the crossing.

+

If you are not crossing, they don't need to stop. So stop standing waiting and just cross the GD road.

=
Roadkill

SecretLimonadeDrinker Fri 12-Apr-19 23:41:24

This winds me up so much, definitely seen an increase.

Last year I was heavily pregnant and had a foot in the road when a driver drove straight across and then slammed on the brakes so the rear of the car was across the crossing as there was a queue of traffic. I was raging.

Ivegotbills Fri 12-Apr-19 23:44:58

Been like this for at least 15 years round here now. You're probably just noticing it more. Lots of arseholes around.

Tolleshunt Fri 12-Apr-19 23:49:07

Same in SW London. Gives me the rage.

Chouetted Sat 13-Apr-19 00:07:27

I don't cross zebra crossings if there's a car coming that hasn't stopped - I've been scared out of my wits by cars refusing to stop for me too many times. I'd rather wait for an empty road.

I'm sorry that it annoys car drivers, but I'm not sure what else I can do - I'm disabled, and can't guarantee I'll get out of the way of the next car in time.

WhenISnappedAndFarted Sat 13-Apr-19 00:11:30

I live in London too and have really noticed it.

I put my foot on one the other day, a car had slowed down but they continued to drive over the crossing. I had to move back pretty quickly and they beeped their horn at me. I was there before they were even there, I started crossing and they beep at me.

NorthernRunner Sat 13-Apr-19 00:15:44

Yes it really angers and worries me.

I’m a childminder in east London and I’m often walking about with a couple of under 3s and I feel like I really need to have eyes everywhere because sadly I don’t trust the cars to stop. I have also in the past walked different routes to avoid crossings that I know are particularly bad.

Tolleshunt Sat 13-Apr-19 00:35:22

A few weeks ago a driver clipped a pram on a zebra crossing close to me.

By some miracle the baby was unharmed, though the pram ended up on its side. I don't think the car was traveling very fast. Doesn't bear thinking about what might have happened if it had been.

recrudescence Sat 13-Apr-19 08:17:44

So stop standing waiting and just cross the GD road.

That would get you killed where I live.

Rainatnight Sat 13-Apr-19 08:31:24

Same here.

Interesting to see so many east Londoners. That's where I am too. I wonder if we live near each other!

Misty9 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:33:17

Yes! This boils my blood every school run as cars just don't stop. I've been nearly hit so many times when halfway across and the oncoming car just kept going shock
A couple of times I've ended up remonstrating with the driver as they screech to a halt halfway across the crossing and they are always defensive and rarely apologetic. I now get my phone out to record anyone not stopping...

As for what you can do, I reported it my local MP and they looked into changing it to a pedestrian crossing with lights but were told no. They wait until fatalities occur it seems angry

Misty9 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:33:44

I'm in east Anglia by the way

Lockheart Sat 13-Apr-19 08:34:30

I'm in London and I've never noticed this. I use 2 zebra crossings on my commute (so a total of 4 a day) and people always stop.

ThomasHardyPerennial Sat 13-Apr-19 08:39:51

Happens in my West Yorkshire town too. I was nearly hit by a car, as I had stepped out (when clear), and the approaching driver didn't slow down or stop at all. I try and avoid them at all costs now, they seem to risky.

WitsEnding Sat 13-Apr-19 08:40:36

Haven't noticed the problem on zebra crossings so much as pelicans- drivers are happy to go through the red light if there's no chance of a car coming the other way. On some of the crossings in my road, the green man comes on at the same time as the red light so running the lights is particularly dangerous.

PippilottaLongstocking Sat 13-Apr-19 08:47:18

I nearly got hit by a car that didn’t stop when I was already 2/3 of the way across a zebra crossing. To make it worse he then stopped across it instead of carrying on so
I had to walk out around his car to get across the road! I wish I’d got a photo of his number plate but it was so terrifying that I didn’t even think about it til he’d gone.

Another incident very recently where someone got hit on a zebra crossing near me.

And another where the car did stop for me but the car behind drove straight into the back of them

Oldbutstillgotit Sat 13-Apr-19 08:55:13

I just managed to jump out of the way a few weeks ago as I crossed on a zebra crossing . Woman wound down her window and told me to get a fucking move on . Am in East Scotland .

TheSultanofPingu Sat 13-Apr-19 08:58:34

So sorry you have to wait while people cross the road starzig
That must be really frustrating for you.

JenniferJareau Sat 13-Apr-19 09:02:45

I'm London based too and this is very common.

People going on about 'just cross the road' these cars don't stop! They are going far too fast to start crossing safely.

Also does anyone see far more people at a green man crossing not reading the road ahead and then being over the crossing itself so you have to walk around them?

HandsOffMyRights Sat 13-Apr-19 09:04:34

Happens by me too (Midlands) but it must happen everywhere.

It scares the hell out of me as my children cross a busy main road after school.

I was at a crossing two a couple of weeks ago and the driver sped through. I tell my kids not to rely on drivers stopping. Not at a Zebra or pedestrian lights - a little girl was killed. They were crossing (the green man was on) yet the driver's poor eyesight meant he failed to see them.

My other issue is speed. I keep to limits but others don't. I want them to really think about the children coming out of school and what might happen if they couldn't stop in time. If they want to drive like dicks, I can't stop them but don't tailgate me and bully me into driving too fast in a school zone.

Hanumantelpiece Sat 13-Apr-19 09:12:00

I really think the law needs changing. Yes, theoretically drivers should stop if you have one foot on the crossing, but on busy roads, as a pedestrian, you don't want to step out if there is fast-flowing traffic.
For people with mobility issues, disabilities, small children in tow, or any other cause to be slower or more cautious, then the problem becomes worse .
Drivers should be aware of the road, and so should slow at crossings, ready to stop.

We have a couple near me where people have been hit whilst crossing. Thankfully not at great speed, but one is directly outside a primary school. Both school & crossing are well signed from either direction. Inexcusable.

Betty777 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:12:32

where I am I've noticed most of the local crossings badly need repainted - they are almost invisible, especially where there are trees and dappled sunlight.
I only know to stop sometimes as I'm local and know where they are (mostly from my own time on mat leave pushing a pram)

I know councils are strapped for cash but I doubt the paint is that expensive?

Podemos Sat 13-Apr-19 09:12:59

Ironically I was just saying the exact opposite just a few days ago.

We were in Spain last week and I commented to DP that visitors to Britain must be amazed how cars stop for you when you're just waiting at a zebra crossing.

Any other country I visit follow the rule that cars stop if the pedestrian is ON the crossing and never if you're just waiting.

And don't get me started on the countries where a green man doesn't always mean the cars will be stopped - lots still allow left turning cars even when the green man is on for pedestrians (well actually usually right turning cars but would be our equivalent to a left turn: i.e. not across traffic)

I love travelling but the one thing I always miss is British road crossings! I'm not in London though.

Jammydodger1981 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:14:00

Dd1 (18) was hit by a driver failing to stop on a zebra crossing last month. Luckily no serious injuries, the police said it could have been very different outcome for a child or elderly person.

Stupid bitch said she didn’t see her but witnesses confirmed Dd was in the middle of the crossing when it happened and it’s a clear run up to it. I suspect she was on her phone. She only got a driving course as punishment but hopefully the claim we’re making through her insurance for dd’s damaged belongings plus the increase for having an accident makes her pocket hurt plenty when she gets her next renewal quote angry

UCOforAC12 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:47:25

Yes to all of this! There's a zebra and pelican crossing near my work. People are ALWAYS stopped over the zebra crossing because it's near a busy junction and they don't read the road. The pelican is slightly worse as there's no excuse it's a clear road. People regularly drive through on red. I only cross now when both cars are stopped after crossing half over and nearly being hit as I continued across. I have seen people begin to cross before both cars have stopped and cars having to slam on their brakes or the person crossing stopping dead to avoid being hit.

It seems to go hand in hand with a general self centredness of drivers who seem to be impatient that anyone else is there.

Chocmallows Sat 13-Apr-19 09:50:42

Sure it's everywhere, I see it in Devon.

buttermilkwaffles Sat 13-Apr-19 09:59:36

I find cars do stop at pedestrian crossings here I'm Scotland, but ten years ago I was very nearly hit by a car at a traffic light which was red for cars and green light for pedestrians.
Was about half way across a four lane road when I noticed a car coming towards me, cars in the other lanes had all stopped at the red light obviously, so I thought surely they are going to stop oh shit they are not, instantly break into a sprint and avoided getting hit by inches. Driver didn't even slow down. Some people really should not have a driving licence, how can you not notice a red light, other cars all stopped AND a person crossing the road in front of you in broad daylight on a main road in the city centre!

ForalltheSaints Sat 13-Apr-19 10:02:48

Agree with reporting them to 101. Very noticeable in some other countries I have been to, especially Belgium, that cars do stop.

Gwenhwyfar Sat 13-Apr-19 10:04:02

If they're passing slowly enough I hit their car with my umbrella sometimes.

boringlyboring Sat 13-Apr-19 10:15:24

Yep happens on a busy road I drive along daily too. With this particular crossing, it’s made worse by the fact that there’s a bus stop right next to it.

When the bus pulls over, it covers one side of the crossing, so you can’t see if anyone’s waiting to cross, or started to, until you’re actually driving over it. I slow down just incase, but unless you get down to moving off speed, it’s still no time to safely stop if a pedestrian appears from behind the bus.

SisyphusDad Sat 13-Apr-19 10:45:52

Not a new thing unfortunately. Many years ago I was on a zebra crossing, car had stopped, quite properly, but the car behind just pulled out to overtake as I was right in the middle of the road. I just managed to avoid being knocked over.

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Sat 13-Apr-19 10:53:04

I work near Moorgate and never find it a problem with cars. However, yesterday, I was half way across when I could see 2 cyclists zooming towards me. I could tell they weren’t going to stop but didn’t know which way around me they were going to go. I just froze. One went just behind me. I have no idea what happened to the other. The taxi driver who had stopped for me blared his horn. Too late, they had gone.

MadisonAvenue Sat 13-Apr-19 10:53:40

I don't often have to use zebra crossings but drivers going through on red on pedestrian crossings while the green man is lit is a regular occurrence.

PregnantSea Sat 13-Apr-19 11:03:08

It's easy enough to say just start crossing the road but if you have a pushchair it's different. Before DC I wouldn't think much of just strolling out onto the crossing but to push your baby out when a car is visible and you have no guarantees that they will stop... That's scary. I wouldn't do that.

Luby40 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:19:13

Yep! We live in a little town in the country, we cross 2 on the way to school every day and it happens more often than not......I'm scared to start crossing too because if your not on their side they carry on, it's too late to take a number by then as im too busy making sure dd is ok! We now stand there and wait for cars to give way......it takes time but its safer!
I keep saying im going to wear a camera 🤬

avacadooo Sat 13-Apr-19 15:45:29

Happens to me all the time in fact the other day a car ran a red light at a crossing and almost squashed me, I'm lucky that I managed to leap out the way with my bump!

minionsrule Sat 13-Apr-19 16:30:45

I'm in lancashire and i noticed it more after i had ds..... for me it was usually elderly drivers who didn't even seem to be looking for pedestrians, totally oblivious.
Once ds got old enough to go out on his own i always told him to wait until cars stop both ways (or it is clear) but never assume they will stop for you angry

SimonJT Sat 13-Apr-19 16:33:12

It’s awful here (north east london), it looks like few of the push button crossings have cameras as loads of motorist go through on red.

RosaWaiting Sat 13-Apr-19 16:36:31

I live in London and this happens a lot.

I don't drive so I don't know - if there's no red light involved, is it actually illegal not to wait for a pedestrian?

I don't think it is. So I just wait, and acknowledge the drivers who do stop. But I agree it's a massive change over about....5 years?

GregoryPeckingDuck Sat 13-Apr-19 16:37:28

Huge problem in London. I’ve started crossing Kathmandu style. Some of them get very frustrated but I just take some extra time crossing to demonstrate that this is what a zebra crossing is. Where I live it’s not as much of an issue with zebra crossings but no respect for puffin (is it puffin or pelican, the ones with the flashing yellow).

ostinato Sat 13-Apr-19 16:51:26

Cyclists are the absolute worst for this. I had one scream abuse at me when I was on a zebra crossing with a pram. I'm also in London and jumping out of the way of rogue cyclists is a daily occurrence. No such problem with cars.

woodhill Sat 13-Apr-19 16:59:25

In the 80s my boyfriend got fined for not stopping at a zebra and got points- a policeman was nearby.

I always stop even if they look like they may want to cross but not on crossing or slow down. Good manners surely

RosaWaiting Sat 13-Apr-19 17:36:59

"I'm also in London and jumping out of the way of rogue cyclists is a daily occurrence"

oh this. So much this. Much worse now anyone can hire a bike at those stands - I see them hurtling along and wobbling and looking like they have no fucking clue how to cycle frankly.

Misty9 Sat 13-Apr-19 17:41:39

If you catch drivers not stopping when youre on the crossing then it's an offence punishable with a fine and points. Hence getting my camera phone out... grin

tisonlymeagain Sat 13-Apr-19 17:43:08

As I understand it, legally you don't have to stop at a zebra crossing unless the pedestrian is physically on it, but yes, the courteous thing to do is to stop if you see someone waiting. I tend to slow down on approach anyway as the amount of people I've seen just do an about turn and dart out into one without really looking...

HuntingHeffalumps Sat 13-Apr-19 18:46:15

Years ago we stopped at a zebra for someone and the car behind us went straight into the back of us. We were shunted onto the crossing. DS (then a baby) was in the back.

Luckily no one was hurt and the person we stopped for hadn't started crossing.

Our car was a write off though and other driver didn't have insurance. angry

SaveKevin Sat 13-Apr-19 18:51:05

It seems to have coincided with the lack of indicating. Drives me potty, how do you know when to cross angry

NannyRed Sat 13-Apr-19 19:01:03

Yanbu, it’s like car drivers think they are king of the road.

I was coming back from a trip to the supermarket with my daughter, pushing my grandson in his buggy when we stopped at a crossing. A car pulled up across the zebra crossing, so we walked in front of the car. He got very annoyed and started shouting at us for ‘stopping him pulling away’ at the t-junction.

Next junction (30 m). He was still waiting so I stuck a sanitary towel on his back window, yes I know it makes me immature and no better than him, but he got out , holding the junction up to remove the pad and shout at me once again. My defence was if he wants to act like a cunt, I’ll treat him like one.

Sorry that’s no help to you, maybe we need to be armed with a squeezy bottle of mayo for squirting these arseholes as they whizz past us.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Sat 13-Apr-19 19:30:44

My defence was if he wants to act like a cunt, I’ll treat him like one.

Childish but I like your style.wink

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 13-Apr-19 19:44:42

our tesco car park is very badly designed and no one ever wants to stop at the crossing to get you out of the store

I thrust the trolley out , and think bring it on

A couple of months ago some eejit was driving so fast he lost control and completely flattened a lampost on the corner by the crossing...hit it hard enough it was actually laid it flat on the ground and totalled the front of his car, the car had to be hauled off......apparently he was only doing 10mph.

temperancefugit Sat 13-Apr-19 19:55:30

I always understood that the onus was on the driver to slow down ready to stop when approaching a zebra crossing if it looked like a pedestrian might be going to use the crossing.” look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross” Highway Code.
From reading some of these posts, it seems a lot of drivers don’t have this mindset. No wonder there are so many accidents. As for advising pedestrians to start crossing before the car has slowed down. Are you mad?!
Think I will start recording these selfish and dangerous drivers on my phone.

lampygirl Sun 14-Apr-19 08:30:29

@MsMighty The one thing I do think about the supermarket ones is that they should be a bit more of the type where you press the button and wait for traffic lights. If you sat in my local tescos you’d see that a steady stream of people come out of the shop and just as one finishes crossing the next one starts. It’s on the way in to the car park so you only need 10 people doing this on a Saturday morning and the queue of cars backs up and nobody can drive in or out either. If it allowed a group of pedestrians to go, then a group of cars, then a group of pedestrians it would be much better designed.

I’m a gung ho walker at these crossings though if I’m honest, though generally if I was waiting I’d wave through a cyclist (mind you I’m not in London where the bad commuter cyclist name seems to stem from, most of the ones by me seem to be well organised clubs/enthusiasts) simply because on a bike of the three modes of transport it’s the most hard work to get going again. It’s easy in my car and it’s easy on foot but it’s more effort to stop, unclip pedals, not fall over, get going, clip pedal back in, especially uphill.

UCOforAC12 Sun 14-Apr-19 10:06:11

I was crossing with my youngest and a cyclist went through almost hitting us. I was tempted to give him a big shove but I didn't fancy a criminal record. I managed an 'OI!' He managed a finger and I wished I'd shoved him!

Chouetted Sun 14-Apr-19 16:47:19

Some cyclists are horrendous. I used to get sworn at for near misses when crossing at pedestrian crossings - they expected me to see them coming and dodge them.

Now, if I could do that, I wouldn't need to wait for the green man, would I? hmm

Funnyface1 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:04:37

I was at a crossing with my toddler waiting to cross. Green Man came on and we started to cross. A school aged boy was crossing in the other direction and a van on that side of the road hadn't noticed the red light, or him until it was almost too late. It was awful and I've hated crossing there since but have to most days to take ds to school. I always wait for green man, then check traffic is stopped before we start crossing. It might hold drivers up a couple of extra seconds, but I'm not risking our lives.

beebreath Sun 14-Apr-19 17:10:58

Cyclists using the pedestrian / zebra crossings annoy me. smile

Nameisthegame Sun 14-Apr-19 17:19:22

Google Plymouth I think one child was injured and another died? 🙁

Piglet89 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:24:25

Happens in London ALL THE TIME because people are very, very selfish, I’m afraid.

MrsChanandlerBongg Sun 14-Apr-19 17:27:02

I'm in a rural area, however a popular holiday destination up north and see this A LOT when holiday-makers are in the area. Don't get me wrong, I do see it anyway but an incredible increase when people are on their holidays.

Redglitter Sun 14-Apr-19 17:32:44

Take down their number plate, preferably car colour and make if you can. Ring the police on 101

The MN answer to everything 🙄

You seriously think that's a police matter???

redredrobins Sun 14-Apr-19 17:39:50

Does it become a police matter if a pedestrian is killed?
Car drivers have become incredibly selfish, how much time does it take to allow someone to cross?

Chouetted Sun 14-Apr-19 17:40:29

Well I got a motorcyclist who nearly ran me over while illegally offroading on a footpath in trouble with the police by reporting his numberplate to 101 (and haven't seen him since...), so it really depends on local priorities.

They told me they were really pleased to get a numberplate, as apparently they'd had reports of the same thing from other people but nothing with enough detail to actually follow up on.

Talkingfrog Sun 14-Apr-19 18:17:02

It is a regular occurance here for cars to ignore it is a crossing. I have clearly had my foot on the crossing with plenty of warning, but waited for the car to stop and they didn't. I have been half way over and had cars drive in front or behind me. The lollipop lady has the same problem. It is a 20 mph road - how can you not see a lollipop lady, wearing a reflective yellow coat and carrying a stick in the middle of a zebra crossing?

Rainatnight Mon 15-Apr-19 06:56:58

Redglitter, they're breaking the law and as you can see from some of the examples on this thread, it's really dangerous. This isn't one of those MN 'my NDN was mean to me so I'm calling the police' kind of things.

staydazzling Mon 15-Apr-19 06:59:26

yup, the school zebra crossing now needs a lollipop lady it's that bad angryconfused

EjectorCrab Mon 15-Apr-19 07:04:14

Also noticed this, I just get on it and start walking else people won’t stop. Admittedly a slightly dangerous approach. I think the main problem though is that 30mph speed limits seem to mean 40mph for most people in my area and no one is enforcing the speed limit or policing traffic.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Apr-19 07:23:09

This has become such a problem in our area that the local authority has remove all zebra crossings and replaced them with puffin or toucan crossings.

sashh Mon 15-Apr-19 08:36:32

Also teach your children to get off their bikes at crossings, if they cycle across they are a road user and traffic does not need to stop even if they are on the crossing.

Gingerivy Mon 15-Apr-19 09:41:10

We are in London and see this all the time. Part of our ongoing road safety discussions are "always look first, no matter what." A car yesterday sped right across at a zebra crossing near our house, honking their horn as they went. People were on it and had to move quickly to avoid them.

proudestofmums Mon 15-Apr-19 09:54:19

I do stop at zebra crossings as a driver but, although I know this isn’t legally required, it wou;d be so nice is just occasionally the pedestrian acknowledged me with a smile or a lift if the hand. I cannot believe that everyone is having such a life or death conversation on their phone that they fail to notice I’ve stopped for them. I sometimes wonder if they even noticed there was a car there! PS I don’t include parents with young children, buggies etc who have enough to wrangle but actually they usually do acknowledge me.

Andonandonan Mon 15-Apr-19 10:42:26

Dd was almost run over on a zebra crossing - was halfway across and a driver who had plenty of time to slow down chose to accelerate instead (having seen me walking just behind her but obv not noticing smaller dd). It was terrifying and ever since we wait for cars to stop in both directions before even starting to cross. I’m sure it annoys drivers that I’m so cautious but I just won’t take the risk after such a near miss.

LuvSmallDogs Mon 15-Apr-19 10:52:57

EjectorCrab, I do the same now too. There are drivers who actually speed up when they see someone about to/just starting to cross the zebra, hoping to intimidate them back onto the curb. I nearly got hit by an idiot who did this in an elderly Ford Fiesta in the soaking wet!

Fairenuff Mon 15-Apr-19 11:37:26

They need more cameras like this one

gamerwidow Mon 15-Apr-19 11:44:56

Yes I’ve seen an increase in this too. It’s indicative of a general rise in selfishness in people I think. No one seems to want to give way when there’s cars parked in the road or even give way properly at roundabouts anymore either.

gamerwidow Mon 15-Apr-19 11:46:56

Fwiw it’s worth if I see someone approaching a crossing I’ll slow down in case they want to cross. Unless a pedestrian is belting down the road it should never be a surprise when someone wants to cross.

gamerwidow Mon 15-Apr-19 11:49:11

Ps I was hit on zebra crossing about 20 years ago. The car that hit me actually overtook the car that had stopped to let me go. Twat!

PettyContractor Mon 15-Apr-19 12:10:07

I've never noticed a problem at my local crossing. However it's a raised crossing so cars have to slow down anyway, and I do look at them to make sure they're stopping before stepping out in front of them.

A pedestrian tip I intend to post on every thread like this: if you see a flashing green pedestrian light at a crossing, the motorists may be seeing a flashing amber light, which means they can go if the crossing is clear. While running across such a crossing, where two lanes had stationary traffic, I was nearly flattened by a motorist in the third lane who interpreted the flashing amber light as a signal to pass through the crossing at maximum achievable speed.

While he was in a number of ways in the wrong, I now try to remember never to run across pedestrian crossing, and don't step off the pavement if the green man is flashing. (Not sure that I did on that occasion.)

endofthelinefinally Mon 15-Apr-19 12:42:49

I think we have reached the point where everyone needs a dashcam and a bodycam.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »