Talk

Advanced search

Is there something wrong with my cat?

(47 Posts)
Brightburn Fri 12-Apr-19 21:26:22

Evening all...

I have a gorgeous Russian Blue who is 9 months old. This evening, she's behaving very strangely. She's constantly making funny moaning noises and not settling down anywhere. Its a strange noise like a moan. She's an indoor cat and not been injured (as far as I know and can see).

She won't stop the noise. She sounds like a toddler saying rellow. Every time I talk to her she moans at me like she's trying to talk back but she won't sit with me.

Any ideas? I'll try and record her if I can.

blighter Fri 12-Apr-19 21:27:20

could she be in heat??

DumbledoresApprentice Fri 12-Apr-19 21:27:50

Sounds like she’s in heat. Has she not been spayed yet?

adaline Fri 12-Apr-19 21:28:22

Sounds like she's in heat.

Misskittycat16 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:28:28

Has she been speyed? If not she's probably in season

saraclara Fri 12-Apr-19 21:28:53

Mne does that when he has an attack of cystitis (which he's prone to).

missmouse101 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:29:21

Definitely sounds as if she's in season. She ought to be spayed. Does she go outside at all?

saraclara Fri 12-Apr-19 21:29:22

If she's not likely to be in heat, she's in pain of some sort.

madcatladyforever Fri 12-Apr-19 21:29:40

Or she feels sick. Stomach cramps can cause that.

Angie169 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:29:55

She may be coming into season if she has not been 'done'
watch for sticking her bum in the air , in a come and get me boys kinda way and rolling around on her back .

gamerchick Fri 12-Apr-19 21:31:31

Is she neutered?

I remember my cat went into heat just before her op was due. What a ruddy racket! A proper pain in the arse she was. Shoving her backside in my face.

Nothing worse than a horny cat.

bookmum08 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:31:45

My mother in law's cat makes that noise just before she vomits.

Brightburn Fri 12-Apr-19 21:51:55

She seems to have settled now! She's putting her bum in the air right by me! No she's not been spayed. Yes she never goes outside.

Eatmycheese Fri 12-Apr-19 21:55:40

She’s in heat! You won’t get much sleep tonight!

Eatmycheese Fri 12-Apr-19 21:56:37

All three of my girls still were a bit in season for a while even afternoon they’ve been spayed. Bloody racket

AngelinaNeurosurgeon Fri 12-Apr-19 21:56:55

She might be in heat, or she might have snuck out and is now pregnant and in first stage of labour. But hopefully she's only in heat.

ThatssomebadhatHarry Fri 12-Apr-19 21:57:17

Is coming into season cats speech for your cats horny? grin

DareDevil223 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:58:10

Is there a reason why you haven't had her spayed?

BlueSkiesLies Fri 12-Apr-19 21:58:41

There are health benefits for getting cats spayed even if they aren’t going outside and at risk of pregnancy.

gamerchick Fri 12-Apr-19 22:04:05

Please get her neutered. No idea why you havent already even if she is an inside cat.

All you're doing is inflicting misery on her by not doing it, she will try to get out and you may end up with night of the living cats around your house if they get a whiff of her.

adaline Fri 12-Apr-19 22:08:15

Get her spayed - it has nothing to do with her being an indoor cat.

We didn't spay our first cat (ignorance mostly) and she got pretty sick with pyometra. Luckily the vet spayed her as an emergency and she was fine but our current female got spayed as early as possible.

Why haven't you had her done yet?

Vinorosso74 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:09:49

Definitely sounds like she's in heat. To be fair you shouldn't be that surprised if she's not been spayed.
Book her in asap. An indoor cat on heat can become quite determined to get outside.

thequeenoftarts Fri 12-Apr-19 22:12:05

LOL she is in season, make sure you guard the windows and doors well. She may never ave wanted to go out in the past, now she will kill you in your sleep to get outdoors lol lol

MummytoCSJH Fri 12-Apr-19 22:16:03

As others said she's in heat. The first time my female cat did this I took her to the vets I was so worried!grin

Travis1 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:18:38

She’s in heat. Get her booked in to be spayed. It’s the responsible thing to do.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:23:48

She's in heat! You really don't know that? She needs to be spayed as soon as possible. Not spaying her can lead to very serious health issues.

BayandBlonde Fri 12-Apr-19 22:25:06

Mine suffers from cystitis and makes the same noise when she is feeling off colour

AventaRizon Fri 12-Apr-19 22:30:55

Keep all your windows shut grin

Siameasy Fri 12-Apr-19 22:33:15

Beautiful cat
Yep I agree, you won’t get any sleep
We took in a Siamese rescue and she was on heat before we got the chance to have her spayed. Bloody hell, I had to cuddle her right for ages at a time to try to stop it I don’t think it worked though 🙈

Siameasy Fri 12-Apr-19 22:33:49

*cuddle her at night not right

tierraJ Fri 12-Apr-19 22:45:22

If she's not on heat she could have a fur ball.

My cat is spayed but makes that noise when she has furballs & wants to be sick. But she's semi long haired.

PookieDo Fri 12-Apr-19 22:55:36

Cats in heat become unbearable with it. Def get spay

MoniqueTonique Fri 12-Apr-19 23:11:04

Why isn't she spayed? So irresponsible.

squashedgrape Fri 12-Apr-19 23:26:15

Maybe she doesn't want to get her cat spayed?

saraclara Sat 13-Apr-19 00:13:01

The cat is a pure-bred. I'm guessing that the OP wants to breed from her at some point. I'd have thought she'd have known about the signs of being in heat though!

CardsforKittens Sat 13-Apr-19 01:50:50

Please get her spayed. It’s really not a good idea to breed a pet pedigree cat. If you want to get into breeding, join a cat club and find a mentor.

MrsFoxPlus4 Sat 13-Apr-19 01:57:27

Research your pets a bit more before purchasing. You really should have known she’d go into season

OneStepSideways Sat 13-Apr-19 05:35:01

She's in heat! Lock your windows or all the toms in the area will be coming in. Are you planning to breed from her? Imagining little Russian Blue kittens ❤️

DumbledoresApprentice Sat 13-Apr-19 09:15:46

Just because she’s a pure breed doesn’t mean she’s on the active register. I’d be very surprised if a breeder sold a breeding queen to someone who has never seen a cat in season before. It’s much more likely that this is a pet, sold as such and intended to be spayed. Leaving her unspayed makes her much more likely to escape or attempt to escape from indoors.
A lot of owners think of slaying as just preventing pregnancy and therefore unnecessary for indoor cats but it’s actually better for the health of the cat and makes it easier to keep them indoors and safe.
I think it’s important that breeding is left to people with the knowledge and experience to do it properly.

clockworklime Sat 13-Apr-19 09:18:17

Buy a cat dildo from Ann Summers

Brightburn Sat 13-Apr-19 09:21:12

I thought she was probably in season, I just wasn't 100% as she wasn't doing 'the position' until last night. No we won't breed her, we got her for DD, I'm allergic to most cats which is why we got a Russian Blue and I've not reacted to her.

We'll be sure to keep all the windows closed! Thanks all!

ForalltheSaints Sat 13-Apr-19 09:44:15

clockworklime I am imagining a person going to buy one- haha.

Seriously, I agree with the comments about speying.

HiItsClemFandango Sat 13-Apr-19 09:52:59

Are you not going to get her spayed?

It reduces the risk of them getting breast cancer and pyometra. Being in heat is really exhausting for cats and not fair on them to leave them un-spayed, they can be almost continuously in heat.

willowsmumsy Sat 13-Apr-19 10:01:46

I took our young cat to the vet when she started behaving oddly and crying. I paid £35 to be told she was horny!!
She had her first season quite young. I'd never had a cat with one before as they'd always been spayed rescues or male! She was booked in sharpish!!😂

ABC1234DEF Sat 13-Apr-19 10:32:27

Definitely get her spayed ASAP, don't underestimate the persistence of the local toms....

Also get her microchipped if she isn't already. I often get people saying they are going to be house cats - house cats can and do escape and are the ones more likely to get spooked, run and not find their way home again

StillMedusa Sat 13-Apr-19 10:43:18

Another adding to the chorus of PLEASE get her spayed!
Otherwise at some point, somehow she WILL get out... the desire to mate is overhelming for them, and as a house cat she is far more likely to get lost.
One of my cats was tiny and the vet (it was 20 years ago) didn't want to spay her til she was a little bigger, and she came into season early...and despite locked doors and shut windows she managed to escape. Worse still we had moved house the same week and she didn't know the area at all. We thankfully got her back, but she was pregnant after 24 hours outside, and ended up with 5 kittens (all rehomed and she was spayed straight after)

Plus Pyometra is terrible . Now some vets will do it as early as 14 weeks and mine current pair were done then!

MitziK Sat 13-Apr-19 11:34:59

If she stops, be warned that it'll probably start up again within 4 weeks and then be pretty much constant. She'll be absolutely miserable for it, too. And the noise! Fluffy TwatCat was allegedly spayed. She hadn't been. And the vet said to book when she was not calling. She called constantly.

Book a spay appointment in the morning, OP, and you'll be saved weeks of broken nights.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »