Talk

Advanced search

To think that the Brexit Party is the most exciting thing to happen in British politics in years

(259 Posts)
ChavvyOldBrexiteer Fri 12-Apr-19 21:02:42

1000 candidates have applied for 73 seats, nearly a million pounds raised with small donations, buzz and brexitement on the ether and the sense that the 2 party system may be over for good....at last some good news for Brexiteers.

Viva la Revolucion!

MorningRichie Fri 12-Apr-19 21:03:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lockheart Fri 12-Apr-19 21:03:53

Wasn't UKIP the Brexit party? Y'know, being the UK Independence Party and all?

That isn't doing so well either.

Boom45 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:04:58

Haha. No.
Website is good tho - thebrexitparty.com

EmperorBallpitine Fri 12-Apr-19 21:05:18

Oh yeah great the rise of right wing politics continues

kamelo Fri 12-Apr-19 21:06:19

Rather than debate and win, just throw a few insults around. That worked well before the referrendum didn't it?

Still you don't get the reasons why there is a Brexit party.

Singlenotsingle Fri 12-Apr-19 21:06:51

Interesting. Could upset a few applecarts.

LadyLaSnack Fri 12-Apr-19 21:08:27

I am quite excited too!! Can’t wait too see what absolute fannys they make of themselves.

Lockheart Fri 12-Apr-19 21:08:44

@kamelo presumably they're the same reasons there is a UKIP.

I don't understand the logic of creating a different party to campaign for exactly the same thing.

All it will do is split the vote and make it less likely that either party will gain significant power.

Can you tell me the difference between UKIP and the Brexit party?

SaxNitMinger Fri 12-Apr-19 21:08:56

Lol

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:10:19

You need to engage with and try to understand these people and their concerns. As a PP said, name calling and insults didn't really work before.

ChavvyOldBrexiteer Fri 12-Apr-19 21:11:52

@morningface; ah, so it is OK to abuse middle-aged white men (gammon) but you abhor racism. Hmm.

How lovely it would be to have a Brexit debate that is devoid of ageism, sexism, racism and leavism, that is based on facts (and not ad hominem attacks).

Is it possible?

Windowsareforcheaters Fri 12-Apr-19 21:12:31

Brilliant website defo worth checking out :

https://thebrexitparty.com

Cookit Fri 12-Apr-19 21:12:37

There hadn’t been a two party system in the EU elections for a long time, UKIP have always done well. It’s kind of the beauty (and downfall) of the voting system not being FPTP.
I don’t think it means anything for a GE here luckily.

Guyliner Fri 12-Apr-19 21:14:07

It's great!

Anything to split the racist vote imo

Lockheart Fri 12-Apr-19 21:14:46

Ok, @NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 I'm engaging.

With UKIP trailing far behind other mainstream parties in Westminster in terms of seats, why do you think creating another party with the same ultimate goal will garner more votes and gain more seats?

Can you tell me the difference between UKIP and the Brexit Party, and why you think BP will be more successful than UKIP despite campaigning with the same ultimate goal?

Why do you think this is a good idea, when logic suggests it will actively harm the cause by splitting the hard-line Brexit vote between UKIP and BP and preventing either party gaining a significant presence in parliament?

PennyArcade Fri 12-Apr-19 21:15:24

It will be interesting to see who people vote for at the next GE, seeing as The Tories and Labour are no longer the people's choice. I can see The Brexit Party ending up with 17.4m votes.... Scary thought 😱

Ofalltheginjoints Fri 12-Apr-19 21:15:34

Loving the website!
The party not so much

Cookit Fri 12-Apr-19 21:17:16

I can see The Brexit Party ending up with 17.4m votes....
Never in a million years.

ThatssomebadhatHarry Fri 12-Apr-19 21:17:32

Exciting???!! if you like racist bigoted women hating rich toffs gaining power.

Didn’t Farage’s UKIP manifesto include scrapping maternity pay, hardly mumsnet friendly.

borntobequiet Fri 12-Apr-19 21:17:42

Led by donkeys are far more exciting
mobile.twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1116643896933666817

SunburstsOrMarbleHalls Fri 12-Apr-19 21:19:45

The website really is worth a look wink

Cookit Fri 12-Apr-19 21:20:03

UKIP won in terms of seats and the popular vote the 2014 EU elections. Are people forgetting this?
Them or UKIP v 2.0 (the Brexit Party) doing very well this year will have a minimal impact when it comes to general election time.

OKBobble Fri 12-Apr-19 21:20:05

The irony of the OP asking that pp should debate on facts!!!

ScrommidgeClaryAndSpunt Fri 12-Apr-19 21:20:14

Not really, OP. Another single-issue party, obsessed with the nasty old EU, talking the same tired old nonsense, most of which which has been shown to be false again and again. Dull.

Incidentally would you be able to cite the sources for the figures you quote about candidates and donations?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »