Talk

Advanced search

To read 15/16 year old's phone?

(9 Posts)
tobiasrieper Fri 12-Apr-19 20:45:04

Year 11?

Ohyesiam Fri 12-Apr-19 20:46:41

More info needed.
Are you worried about her? Or just bored?
Have you set it up that you should have access ?

tobiasrieper Fri 12-Apr-19 20:47:41

Sorry, I suppose it was just a general question. Yeah, I'm worried about her. She is talking to people that she admits she doesn't know in real life.

Arachnidplant Fri 12-Apr-19 20:48:20

By the time they're y11 they should be plenty bright enough to conceal stuff they know you would disapprove of.
What are you worried about?

BarryTheKestrel Fri 12-Apr-19 20:49:02

Under 16, if you are concerned and if you pay for it, yes.
Over 16, debatable but if you have serious reason to be concerned then yes.

If you have no real reason to except excerting control then no.

Pardonwhat Fri 12-Apr-19 20:56:13

Yes. At 16 she may be very legally sexually active etc. Would you really want to potentially read private messages?
Also the ‘if you pay for it’ mantra I see mentioned on these threads isn’t quite one size fits all - I pay my mums phone bill. Should I make her show me the contents of her phone?
Up to 12/13 or in an emergency? Yes. Otherwise no - she’ll just learn how to conceal things from you. I’m sure you don’t want that.

flyingspaghettimonster Fri 12-Apr-19 22:27:30

I stopped checking my daughter's phone a year ago and regret it bitterly because I might have found out some disturbing things I could have stopped sooner.

SnowsInWater Sat 13-Apr-19 07:07:30

In theory yes, privacy etc. but if you are worried about her I can see why you would.

Backintime4breakfast Sat 13-Apr-19 07:18:10

Agree with Flying Spaghetti Monster. We stopped checking because DS said over & over we could trust him. Turns out we couldn’t - found out accidentally he’d been sexting. Even though he’d promised me that everything was above board. So I’d say yes, check away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »